Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Rolling Stones Backfire 15
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 18, 2015 18:44

I created this thread for those of us who have complaints about the size of the venues such as Indy and the general pattern of the 2015 tour of North America. Not all of us fans find it musically appropriate to see a band of 70 year olds in gigantic sports stadiums, many known for terrible sound and conditions. The Stones in 2014 did an amazing job recapturing their concert reputation it's hard to believe a series of one offs in gigantic supersized stadiums is still about the music first. Rather than "troll" those who are excited about the tour, those of us that wish to offer our opinions about the tour's design can post below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 18:45 by DoomandGloom.

Re: Rolling Stones Backfire 15
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 18, 2015 18:56

I think it's not a cash grab per se, but maybe a last chance for a lot of people to see them for a modest price.

If that makes it harder for some fans, well, it's only rock & roll.

Date: March 18, 2015 19:06

I'd think they saw enough cash by playing the Far East for 10 lifetimes. At worst they got spoiled by the giant near perfect show at Glastonburry but the logistics were already in place. They did a terrible job at crowd control at Hyde Park from many accounts here, Keith's inability to gain composure made his intros a UTUBE spectacle all highlighted by the daylight and the pressure from the size of the event. Even the greatest rock and roll band needs to play within itself...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:12

I don't disagree with your right to quibble about this and I appreciate your putting this in it's own thread.

But I couldn't disagree with you more.

They've always done stadiums well, and while it's not my preferred venue, I'm going to agree that if this is approaching the last go 'round, better to allow as many people as can be that want to see them, hopefully at somewhat reasonable prices.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:15

I want cheap tickets and pyro

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:16

If you want them to play smaller arenas you have to accept the higher ticket prices. I'd love to know the details but I'm guessing RW KR MJ and CW are on $1 million a show each.
If the economics work for the Promotor and the Band and ticket prices stay reasonable - what's reasonable in the US? $100? $150? - then more power to them.
Hmmmm ...got to say my £95 for Hyde Park in 2013 I considered good value for money. I may be getting on in years but I was on my feet for the whole day, we had fantastic weather, the facilities were great (toilets, bars, other bands and other entertainment inc Brazilian carnival girls).
I was with my friend who had 6 months earlier paid I think more or less £500 for the Tongue Pit at the O2 at the end of 2012...which I couldn't afford and TBH wouldn't have paid anyway.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:17

Agree. Since Indianapolis will be my show, the smaller the better for me. Seen them In football and baseball stadiums, basketball arenas, even the Doubledoor bar. As a hardcore fan I know the smaller the show the better the setlist, and indoors usually sounds a lot better than outdoors. Rather not deal with 100,000 goobers in a cavernous racetrack. But of course that is me being selfish. It is a fantastic thing for the casual fan or non fan looking to partake in the towns big event. They won't be sold out or priced of tickets like at home in Chicago. The Stones live will get a lot more exposure to a lot more people. Good for them and the band. Bad for me, but I've been overexposed for awhile now, and happy about it.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:38

Anita said she likes them better in stadiums . .

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:59

I'll chime in. First off, I'm excited that they are coming back and hoping to catch at least one show. I'm not especially thrilled with the (expected) schedule though. Other than San Diego and perhaps Quebec City, I can't say there's one city where I go "wow, I'm going there!" Although I'm sure they are all fine cities. (How about Vegas. NEW ORLEANS! Louisville KY, etc...). Heck, I'd like to see the Fargo Dome as ND is one of 2 states I still need to get to. And the better (and relatively smaller) cities/venues are mostly the mid-weeks shows, which makes it tough. Being in Boston, I might wind up having the make the (7 hour) drive to Buffalo (Buffalo. Really?). If I can get a ticket to Milwaukee I may have to try and make that somehow happen - venue wise it looks like the most appealing. I wish Red Rocks was still in the cards. Oh well - we all have our wish lists, and it is what it is.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 18, 2015 19:59

In 2021 they can do
21 in Vegas

Date: March 18, 2015 20:10

DEmerson
I'll chime in. First off, I'm excited that they are coming back and hoping to catch at least one show. I'm not especially thrilled with the (expected) schedule though. Other than San Diego and perhaps Quebec City, I can't say there's one city where I go "wow, I'm going there!" Although I'm sure they are all fine cities. (How about Vegas. NEW ORLEANS! Louisville KY, etc...). Heck, I'd like to see the Fargo Dome as ND is one of 2 states I still need to get to. And the better (and relatively smaller) cities/venues are mostly the mid-weeks shows, which makes it tough. Being in Boston, I might wind up having the make the (7 hour) drive to Buffalo (Buffalo. Really?). If I can get a ticket to Milwaukee I may have to try and make that somehow happen - venue wise it looks like the most appealing. I wish Red Rocks was still in the cards. Oh well - we all have our wish lists, and it is what it is.
Buffalo Saturday July 11th sounds.... uncomfortable.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 18, 2015 20:10

Well I was at Hyde Park 2 and for all the technical imperfections, I found watching keith grapple with the emotions of the event rather moving.

It's no longer the 1960s and they are no longer the beautiful brilliant dangerous animals that they were, but nevertheless, this band reflects both defiance and embracing of the experience of getting older. Each member does it in very different ways but for me, it's one of the most interesting aspects of the spectacle.

Date: March 18, 2015 20:20

EJM
Well I was at Hyde Park 2 and for all the technical imperfections, I found watching keith grapple with the emotions of the event rather moving.

It's no longer the 1960s and they are no longer the beautiful brilliant dangerous animals that they were, but nevertheless, this band reflects both defiance and embracing of the experience of getting older. Each member does it in very different ways but for me, it's one of the most interesting aspects of the spectacle.
Well I don't think I attend music shows for such deep reasons. Keith is an amazing enough character but I've seen all I need to see about his state of mind from "Ask Keith." I paid my money, now play your guitar, be straight enough to be good that's the bottom line. I'm not interested in a Glen Cambell/Sinatra swan song.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 18, 2015 20:22

Looks like it may take a while to find like-minded fellow complainer/haters.

Yay.

Date: March 18, 2015 20:26

MisterDDDD

Yay.
This is a good thread, keeps us from being spoilers and is there for fans of a more refined taste. Which shows are you buying tickets for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 20:28 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 18, 2015 20:30

DoomandGloom
MisterDDDD

Yay.
This is a good thread, keeps us from being spoilers and is there for fans of a more refined taste. Which shows are you buying tickets for?

You know..the ones where it's "appropriate to watch a band of seventy year olds" in. That line made me miss my Gramma.

Date: March 18, 2015 20:31

MisterDDDD
DoomandGloom
MisterDDDD

Yay.

You know..the ones where it's "appropriate to watch a band of seventy year olds" in. That line made me miss my Gramma.
You're just a troll, you're not going to any, never seen you around much before. I've been here making an ass of myself for 4 years now!

Date: March 18, 2015 20:34

DoomAnd Gloom - several of the shows sound less than ideal. I have fond memories of seeing them outdoors in Phili in '81. But like us all - I was a much younger guy then. I was at Hyde Park 1 two summers ago, and it was one of my least favorite Stones shows (granted, I had just been in the Tongue Pit in Boston, trying to get a high-5, or a guitar pic a few weeks earlier).
Indy Speedtrack, with 70,000 people? Talk abut uncomfortable. Columbus Ohio - 100,000??!! Pass.

Posted by: UKRod ()
Date: March 18, 2015 20:35

Stadiums or no stadiums, I'm a bit miffed that the Stones are not considering the UK for a few gigs this year, seeing as they went all around Europe and did not touch UK shores once in 2014. I saw them at Hyde Park on 13th July 2013 and looks like it's only USA, Canada and South America in 2015. I do hope they end their stage career in London, where it all started, in 2016, and British people have first choice of tickets (that should start a good debate here!?).

ps I have followed them since 1963, first saw them at the small venue of the Winter Gardens, Bournemouth in early 1964 while still at school, with Brian Jones on his pale Vox guitar leering at the girls and Jagger with his trademark maraccas at that time. Due to the screaming of the girls we could not hear too well, however, but could make out Not Fade Away, which I still have on vinyl 45. Best concert since then has been Hyde Park for me in 2013; the sound was great, the weather was damn hot, I was full of cold beer and able to move around and rock along. Give me a big open venue like that any day to a cramped seat in somewhere like the 02 London.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 20:37 by UKRod.

Date: March 18, 2015 20:38

DEmerson
DoomAnd Gloom - several of the shows sound less than ideal. I have fond memories of seeing them outdoors in Phili in '81. But like us all - I was a much younger guy then. I was at Hyde Park 1 two summers ago, and it was one of my least favorite Stones shows (granted, I had just been in the Tongue Pit in Boston, trying to get a high-5, or a guitar pic a few weeks earlier).
Indy Speedtrack, with 70,000 people? Talk abut uncomfortable. Columbus Ohio - 100,000??!! Pass.

Something ironic about complaining that the band is old, and complaining you don't want to stand all day with 70000 people.

You're both showing your age...not very Altamont of you! (and BTW, I don't go to festivals for the same reason!)

Date: March 18, 2015 20:41

I don't have any inside scoop but they'd have to return to London as long as they can continue. It's unrealistic to think they're last gig will be somewhere like Pennsyltucky. Personally it's much easier from New York City to get to London than Buffalo or Pittsburgh.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 18, 2015 20:42

Assuming this "rumored" list is correct and the Stones are not coming to New York, then I am disappointed. The Forest Hills rumors got my attention but I still would prefer MSG. I passed when they played Shea Stadium and I was much younger at the time obviously. I personally don't enjoy stadiums so even if they were playing Yankee Stadium or CitiField, I'd skip it. All good wishes to those who do enjoy the travel and spectacle but, at age 62 and having seen them many times since '72 - most recently at Barclay's where I was underwhelmed - I will regrettably not be seeing them this go round.

Date: March 18, 2015 20:43

Treacle - not complaining that the band is old. Complaining that I am! ;-)

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 18, 2015 20:44

DoomandGloom
I don't have any inside scoop but they'd have to return to London as long as they can continue. It's unrealistic to think they're last gig will be somewhere like Pennsyltucky. Personally it's much easier from New York City to get to London than Buffalo or Pittsburgh.

Also hard to imagine the last show happening in Wellington, New Zealand but it almost did

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 20:47

nah nah nah I accept stadiums....if they have to play stadiums football are the best for sightlines and sound. baseball stadiums suck, which is why i'm not happy about Detroit. A stadium show is one thing....Indianapolis Motor Speedway is not a stadium, it might as well be a friggin airfield. It's just massive, way beyond the scale of a normal "stadium" show, hence why i'm bitching about it. If they'd announced Lucas Oil Stadium I would not be bitching.

Date: March 18, 2015 20:58

A bit premature as nothing has been announced yet.

Date: March 18, 2015 20:59

DoomandGloom
MisterDDDD
DoomandGloom
MisterDDDD

Yay.

You're just a troll, you're not going to any, never seen you around much before. I've been here making an ass of myself for 4 years now!

Right.
I'm on my third or fourth username(the number of D's) due to forgetting passwords etc... but you did say the only thing yet we agree on. Haven't watched the whole four years.. but you do seem to hate everything about my favorite band.
And I will be at five or six.. all around the country. Seriously contemplating them all.. happy to hang out, it'll be fun.

Date: March 18, 2015 21:04

bleedingman
Assuming this "rumored" list is correct and the Stones are not coming to New York, then I am disappointed. The Forest Hills rumors got my attention but I still would prefer MSG. I passed when they played Shea Stadium and I was much younger at the time obviously. I personally don't enjoy stadiums so even if they were playing Yankee Stadium or CitiField, I'd skip it. All good wishes to those who do enjoy the travel and spectacle but, at age 62 and having seen them many times since '72 - most recently at Barclay's where I was underwhelmed - I will regrettably not be seeing them this go round.
Although Bigger Bang gets applauded here people that I know that went vowed never to see the band again. I do not know the chronology of the gigs regarding Keith's accident but it's well known Ronnie mailed in much of the tour himself. That along with a disastrous Super Bowl performance put many casual fans on the outside, this is fact, many people I know will see The Who but not The Stones. In the last few years they have eclipsed some of that crap for those left watching, it seems they've thrown good sense out the window. Now Charlie is playing drums, outdoors, at a speedway of all places, on July 4th in unknown weather conditions..Less than half the people will have a good vantage point, never mind the security and all the bs that goes on here daily from both sides of the law.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 18, 2015 21:14

Geezus guys, it is what it is, complaining isn't going to change a thing. I'm just glad that they are performing at all in 2015, would you rather they stayed home? If you've been to any Stones shows in the last 20 years you pretty much know what to expect and you know the demand is high enough it's going to be a BIG show. Not much different after you get 50 rows back, and not much different if you are in the first 20 rows. There are still 5000 seats as close to the stage as a 5000 seat venue and your chances of getting them are probably the same.

Personally I don't enjoy the stadiums unless I'm up close and don't spend the time looking at a big screen instead of the fretboards, but that's been the case for years now with pretty much all big acts so I'll just try for the seats up front. Complaining about the size of the venues, the cities they choose to play and the age of the performers is like pissing into the wind. This is likely the last round of American Stones concerts, best to spend your energy trying to get seats close to the stage and enjoying the spectacle one last time, imho.

peace

Date: March 18, 2015 21:17

DoomandGloom
bleedingman
Although Bigger Bang gets applauded here people that I know that went vowed never to see the band again. I do not know the chronology of the gigs regarding Keith's accident but it's well known Ronnie mailed in much of the tour himself. That along with a disastrous Super Bowl performance put many casual fans on the outside, this is fact, many people I know will see The Who but not The Stones. In the last few years they have eclipsed some of that crap for those left watching, it seems they've thrown good sense out the window. Now Charlie is playing drums, outdoors, at a speedway of all places, on July 4th in unknown weather conditions..Less than half the people will have a good vantage point, never mind the security and all the bs that goes on here daily from both sides of the law.

An awful lot of 'raining' on everyone's parade before you actually have any details. I mean, you may be totally right, but you don't have a clue, just like the rest of us at the moment.

As far as the Who is concerned, they were always one of my favourite bands. However having seen them in 88 or 89 (it was pretty unmemorable), and they were awful, I really have no desire to see half the Who on tour with Roger taking off his shirt to show off his 'one pack'.

Let's see who sells more tickets this year, however many friends you may have that are buying tickets.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home