Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Love in Vain at LA Echoplex, 2013
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 18, 2015 01:21

I was so excited to hear they played this (w/ Taylor), and had high hopes it would be a standard for the rest of the tour. Alas it was not meant to be and they haven't played it since.

The version from Ladies and Gentleman is perhaps the best version of the song ever, IMO.

I was wondering, comparatively speaking, how did it sound at Echoplex? Was Taylor's solo reminiscent of his solo from L&G?

Has a recording of it ever surfaced?

My guess would be, it wasn't very good, and that is why it wasn't attempted again on any subsequent tours.

Re: Love in Vain at LA Echoplex, 2013
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 18, 2015 01:30

No recording has ever surfaced so far as I know. They didn't allow cameras or smartphones into the venue, alas.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 01:34

It's now on the 'Holy Grail' list...someone must of managed it.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: March 18, 2015 05:08

I'd love to hear this. Can't comment cause, of course, I've never heard it. But, honestly, my favorite version, by far, is on the Some Girls Live in Texas DVD. I took my girlfriend to see it at the theater and we were both blown away. She is a fan but not as well-versed as I am. She said Jagger was even slightly blown away by the end of that song.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: March 18, 2015 05:16

MSG 1972 was pretty good too...

Date: March 18, 2015 08:45

Was there a guitar/slide problem on LIV?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 18, 2015 09:03

nonfilter
I'd love to hear this. Can't comment cause, of course, I've never heard it. But, honestly, my favorite version, by far, is on the Some Girls Live in Texas DVD. I took my girlfriend to see it at the theater and we were both blown away. She is a fan but not as well-versed as I am. She said Jagger was even slightly blown away by the end of that song.

[www.non-filters.com]

It is a very strong performance, indeed. Jagger really lets it go. It is interesting to compare it to the other magnificient version we hear and see in LADIES AND GENTS. If 1972 version is pretty much based on Taylor's beyond the great slide work, 1978 is more like a whole band effort. Of course, if one thinks that the point is a sublime slide guitar, one can never dig the latter, since even though Ronnie plays okay, Taylor is just so mind-blowing. BUt to my mind the others compansate the loss - especially Jagger - and there is a different kind of dynamics going on. To my ears the 1978 version sounds as good as the 1972 one. Depends on the day which one I prefer (usually the one I happen to listen to...grinning smiley)

Hmm.. I guess my credibility as a wannabe Taylorite I so much advertised yesterday suffered a bit here...winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 09:33

palerider22
It's now on the 'Holy Grail' list...someone must of managed it.

Ha ha...... Saw the thread title and immediately thought someone had discovered a copy of it......

I'm sure it'll turn up eventually along with the complete MSG 1969 performances I desperately want to see..........

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: March 18, 2015 10:18

There was a thread about the Echoplex show last year and I asked about the performance and possible existence of video/audio of Love In Vain – thread link here: [www.iorr.org] (sorry, I don’t know how to link to the specific spot on the thread page). Halup replied (edited) “…Seeing Taylor on Love In Vain made me think he would have a larger role than he did in 2012…I had some friends who also attended the show and heard from one of them that the person I referred to recorded the audio of the whole show. I will try to ask this guy about that when I encounter him again.” Based on Halup’s writings, one might surmise that the performance of Love In Vain was quite good.

Flacnvinyl also posted the following: “Echoplex, like every gig on this tour, was professionally filmed and multitracked. The promotional snippets from every gig are straight off the board for audio, but the footage has been captured if they want to release it.”

Here’s hoping they release it someday soon.

Echoplex pro-shot clip:

Echoplex clip posted by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun in the thread mentioned above (appears to be amateur-shot):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 10:19 by Plink.

Date: March 18, 2015 10:28

Plink
There was a thread about the Echoplex show last year and I asked about the performance and possible existence of video/audio of Love In Vain – thread link here: [www.iorr.org] (sorry, I don’t know how to link to the specific spot on the thread page). Halup replied (edited) “…Seeing Taylor on Love In Vain made me think he would have a larger role than he did in 2012…I had some friends who also attended the show and heard from one of them that the person I referred to recorded the audio of the whole show. I will try to ask this guy about that when I encounter him again.” Based on Halup’s writings, one might surmise that the performance of Love In Vain was quite good.

Flacnvinyl also posted the following: “Echoplex, like every gig on this tour, was professionally filmed and multitracked. The promotional snippets from every gig are straight off the board for audio, but the footage has been captured if they want to release it.”

Echoplex pro-shot clip:

Echoplex clip posted by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun in the thread mentioned above (appears to be amateur-shot):

Did anybody say that this was a tired band? Wow, that BS really rocks!

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: March 18, 2015 10:34

^^^
Yeah, I'm annoyed to no end when people say, "they've really slowed down"...NOT!!!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 18, 2015 16:36

DandelionPowderman
Plink

Echoplex pro-shot clip:

That's why it's so disappointing to me that they're mainly doing stadiums now. Although both are good, tying Mick down to a small stage gets a much more interesting performance from him.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 18, 2015 16:43

Wish I could hear this LIV

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: March 18, 2015 17:50

DandelionPowderman
Plink

Can you please tell me what is so good about this version? To my ears it's a decent version but a tad too slow and a bit lazy sounding sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 18:05 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 18, 2015 18:15

this is the best version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 18:15 by pepganzo.

Date: March 18, 2015 19:26

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
Plink

Can you please tell me what is so good about this version? To my ears it's a decent version but a tad too slow and a bit lazy sounding sad smiley

This groove is locked down. And they're not playing it too slow. They're playing it at the right tempo for a change smiling smiley

Keith is really on here + the energy Mick feeds off the audience. Love it.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 19, 2015 02:38

Plink

Echoplex pro-shot clip:

Goddamn I miss Bobby Keys. I just realized that the next show I see will be my first ever without him.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 19, 2015 03:55

pepganzo

Absolutely. Perfect from start to finish. Simply transcendent. The voice, the soul, the groove...not a single wasted note.

As for the Echoplex version - I'd love to get surprised, but judging from the other clips, I dare to say be careful what you wish for...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 19, 2015 05:43

alimente
pepganzo

Absolutely. Perfect from start to finish. Simply transcendent. The voice, the soul, the groove...not a single wasted note.

As for the Echoplex version - I'd love to get surprised, but judging from the other clips, I dare to say be careful what you wish for...
What's brilliant about this mix as opposed to the bootleg raw version ???? Ok give up?? Keith's guitar is noticeably out of tune on the raw version but on the album I never heard this. The engineers cleverly added loud applause over Keith's first notes, drawing your attention away from the root note. While the following notes are still iffy that applause made this unnoticeable to me until I recently heard the live-er version. I think it's Kleermaker who compiled the 1969 stuff. If so thanks for ruining this for me forever>grinning smiley<.. Also those are only Mick Taylor's guitars in the picture, the bass is nondescript. I wonder if Keith refused to let his stuff get dragged out for a donkey and a drummer. Taylor's SG was a dog, I never saw a film where it sounded in tune. I had a 1962 myself and it sounded great but was terrible to tune as well.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 05:51 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 19, 2015 09:45

Leeds 1971 would also be a magnificient version if a stereo recording existed.

As much as I love the 1969 version from Baltimore on GYYA (without overdubs, btw!!!) I must state that.

And as much as I love Midnight rambler from Brussels 1973 I would he happy to have a stereo recording of the Leeds Show because this slower, blues-like version ist also very strong.

I hope that they will release this show in the near future in their Archive series (although I amnot too impressed with Bitch or Satisfaction, btw).

Date: March 19, 2015 09:55

saltoftheearth
Leeds 1971 would also be a magnificient version if a stereo recording existed.

As much as I love the 1969 version from Baltimore on GYYA (without overdubs, btw!!!) I must state that.

And as much as I love Midnight rambler from Brussels 1973 I would he happy to have a stereo recording of the Leeds Show because this slower, blues-like version ist also very strong.

I hope that they will release this show in the near future in their Archive series (although I amnot too impressed with Bitch or Satisfaction, btw).

Which overdubs did you have in mind, A few phrases of Mick's vocals?

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 19, 2015 13:22

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
Plink

This groove is locked down. And they're not playing it too slow. They're playing it at the right tempo for a change smiling smiley

Keith is really on here + the energy Mick feeds off the audience. Love it.

This is real cool version. I like it a lot. And I like it when Ron plays a les Paul... thumbs up

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 19, 2015 13:26

Does anybody know what guitar keith used on LIV on this show?

Posted by: M4rkRNR ()
Date: March 19, 2015 13:36

gibsonman
Does anybody know what guitar keith used on LIV on this show?

Or his gibson es 355, Telecaster with roseboard fingerboard or the les paul junior

Date: March 19, 2015 13:36

As a band, I'll say this is the best LIV-version.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 19, 2015 14:00

I know everyone has their own personal favourite LIV, but is the L&G version the benchmark?

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: March 19, 2015 14:02

68to72
I know everyone has their own personal favourite LIV, but is the L&G version the benchmark?

For Taylor's guitar playing? Certainly.

As a band effort, with the tempo, the swagger and the groove, I'd go for the Texas 1978-version. Listen to Mac and Stu, Keith (!) and the fantastic Mick Jagger thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 19, 2015 14:27

I think the Leeds Lungs version is Jagger's best performance, and up there with the band's best - love what Nicky does on it, although I miss the slide guitar:

Date: March 19, 2015 14:32

Stoneburst
I think the Leeds Lungs version is Jagger's best performance, and up there with the band's best - love what Nicky does on it, although I miss the slide guitar:

That is a good one indeed. LIV and SCB are fantastic on a rather lackluster show, imo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 19, 2015 15:11

Oh, I had forgotten what a strong version the Leeds '71 was! Stunning, so contemplative, deep, bluesy... And yeah, one of Jagger's best interpretations of it ever.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home