Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Mojo - Glyn Johns "Why Mick Taylor Had To Go"
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 8, 2015 21:42

John Lennon in the 2000 edition (with new stuff like below) of LENNON REMEMBERS:

"We let Glyn Johns remix it [the LET IT BE/GET BACK album] and we didn't want to know, we just left it to him and said, `Here, do it.' It's the first album we didn't have anything to...we just said, `Do it.' Glyn Johns did it, none of us could be bothered going in and Paul...nobody called anybody about it...Glyn Johns did a terrible job on it, cause he's got no idea, etc. Never mind. But he hasn't, really...So when Spector came around, it was like, `Well, alright, if you want to work with us [laughs], go and do your audition, man.'"

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 9, 2015 01:47

Title5Take1
John Lennon in the 2000 edition (with new stuff like below) of LENNON REMEMBERS:

"We let Glyn Johns remix it [the LET IT BE/GET BACK album] and we didn't want to know, we just left it to him and said, `Here, do it.' It's the first album we didn't have anything to...we just said, `Do it.' Glyn Johns did it, none of us could be bothered going in and Paul...nobody called anybody about it...Glyn Johns did a terrible job on it, cause he's got no idea, etc. Never mind. But he hasn't, really...So when Spector came around, it was like, `Well, alright, if you want to work with us [laughs], go and do your audition, man.'"

I think this says it better than I could so I'll just post it:

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 9, 2015 14:11

gotdablouse
Thanks for clarifying about Rose Taylor, it's indeed weird that a (enthusiastic, as any fan would have been at the time) thread started by bv would get closed...something's wrong and I certainly won't go out of my way to catch another show.

smiling smiley

Date: March 9, 2015 14:17

gotdablouse
Thanks for clarifying about Rose Taylor, it's indeed weird that a (enthusiastic, as any fan would have been at the time) thread started by bv would get closed...something's wrong and I certainly won't go out of my way to catch another show.

The thread was not initially started by Bjørnulf. He merged several threads because at the time there were ridiculously many Taylor threads.

When things have escalated, he has closed that thread several times. Mainly to avoid false or unconfirmed rumours to be spread, from what I can see.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 9, 2015 15:37

gotdablouse
I didn't know that Rose Taylor had ever gone on record about Mick's time/leaving the Stones ? Or is it someone's idea of a joke?

As a a side note has it been explained why all the Taylor threads ("We want more Taylor" started by bv, or "Mick Taylor Solo Tour" ?) are getting close, is there a sense that these threads might somehow "annoy" the powers that be?

LuxuryStones
She never did.

A pity al those Taylor threads get closed indeed.

An interview with Rolling Stone Magazine is regarded 'off record', then ?

Rosie is just as adamant, but she hints at disenchantment over credits. "Mick is a musical person . . . it was just a question of having musical acknowledgement. If you know him or have anything to do with him, you know that he doesn't think of the money at all like that. It was the last thing on his mind. Sure the credits appear as Jagger/Richard, because it's always been the case. They've done by far most of the Stones' writing."

"He'd been thinking maybe it was time to move on, but he didn't know to what," Rosie said. "I don't think he realized how good he was, he'd really forgotten how well he could play. You can hear him on Stones tracks, playing fine music, but still not to the full extent he can do it, not to the extent he used to. In fact, he told Jagger all about it – how well it was working with Bruce. And Mick Jagger said something to the effect that sometimes he wished he could just go and play with someone else. That's the really funny part of it."

This is just an example. The interview referenced was published [but not on record, apparently] winking smiley in the January 30th, 1975 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine.

I'm not sure why a Stones fan (or whichever band you like) should be able to say how many interviews a random person may have done or not done.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 9, 2015 15:37

Point is the first message in that thread was written by bv and it was one of an enthusiastic fan (who wouldn't be) after seeing Taylor be given a larger role (at times) during the 2013 US tour : [www.iorr.org]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 9, 2015 15:39

gotdablouse
Point is the first message in that thread was written by bv and it was one of an enthusiastic fan (who wouldn't be) after seeing Taylor be given a larger role (at times) during the 2013 US tour : [www.iorr.org]

It is true that several of those threads have been closed in the last couple of weeks.

Date: March 9, 2015 15:39

gotdablouse

The point is that it looks that way, yes, but it wasn't originally smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 15:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 9, 2015 15:52

What? Yes, BV started that thread. I'm also not sure that the 'more Mick Taylor' thread is an amalgam of lots of smaller threads. It was started in the same spirit as the setlist complaints thread and eventually ran to over a hundred pages because MT is a big issue for lots of Stones fans, not because BV was merging every other Taylor thread into it.

Date: March 9, 2015 16:01

Stoneburst
What? Yes, BV started that thread. I'm also not sure that the 'more Mick Taylor' thread is an amalgam of lots of smaller threads. It was started in the same spirit as the setlist complaints thread and eventually ran to over a hundred pages because MT is a big issue for lots of Stones fans, not because BV was merging every other Taylor thread into it.

It was. Already on post #2 in that thread, the thread was called "Mick Taylor on only one song...?".

On page two you'll find threads like "Mick there is still time to salvage this tour....." and "The Official "what songs are they going to use Mick Taylor on" thread ...."

It was a merge with a nice new intro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 16:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 9, 2015 16:26

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

The point is that it looks that way, yes, but it wasn't originally smiling smiley

You still don't seem to be getting it, do you ? The POINT is that the first message was written by bv (although you've managed to confuse people with your OT comments about merged topics) and it is SAD that he would now feel he has to close that thread because he was obviously very HAPPY (like any fan would have been) when he wrote that first message.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 9, 2015 16:48

gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

You still don't seem to be getting it, do you ? The POINT is that the first message was written by bv (although you've managed to confuse people with your OT comments about merged topics) and it is SAD that he would now feel he has to close that thread because he was obviously very HAPPY (like any fan would have been) when he wrote that first message.

I remember what happened - let me try to explain it to you one more time:

– He didn't make the first post in that thread, he compiled threads and constructed a nice intro which of course is genuine. Then he added a post from May 20 about the three songs. The other options would be to let the lynch mob-vibe prevail here or to delete threads about the topic
– It's not the first, second, third or even fourth time he has closed this thread, seemingly for the same reasons every time. When the false rumours and/or complaining escalate, the thread closes.
– The merging is not OT, as this thread wouldn't have existed in the first place without him doing it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 16:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 9, 2015 17:29

One of the most interesting things I took from Johns' book was Wild Horses was scheduled to be played at the Marquee in '71, but Richards feel asleep whilst tuning his 12 string and Jagger called for the end of the show.

I can only speculate the arrangement was the same as Sweet Virginia where the two guitarists played acoustic. Maybe Taylor played slide?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 9, 2015 17:57

Naturalust
71Tele
[
I have heard some of the Nagra tapes. When George presents one of his songs you can hear John say in a schoolmaster's voice "run along, Sonny, we're a rock & roll band you know".

Yeah, amazing he was eventually made so insecure around John and Paul that he didn't want to show them his great tune "Something". Took Glyn John's aside to show him and declare he wanted to record it alone.

I think creative relationships are similarly intimate and intense like sexual relationships. Probably why pairs seem to work better than trios and why people like George, Brian and MT get left out and discouraged when you have such strong couplings like Jagger/Richards and Lennon/McCartney.

peace
You two guys are the greatest, thanks for all the incite. I became a recording engineer solely because of listening to the "Get Back" album and it's outakes leading to "Let It Be." As a kid I studied the bootlegs and more or less figured out how albums were made although in hindsight it may not have been the best example. "Let It Be" was the first Beatle album that I listened to right at the time of it's release. I remember being aware that they had already broken up and this was not a George Martin record. Instead it was a "new phase" Beatle album, the strangest liner note ever.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 9, 2015 19:31

Chacal
gotdablouse
I didn't know that Rose Taylor had ever gone on record about Mick's time/leaving the Stones ? Or is it someone's idea of a joke?

As a a side note has it been explained why all the Taylor threads ("We want more Taylor" started by bv, or "Mick Taylor Solo Tour" ?) are getting close, is there a sense that these threads might somehow "annoy" the powers that be?

LuxuryStones
She never did.

A pity al those Taylor threads get closed indeed.

An interview with Rolling Stone Magazine is regarded 'off record', then ?

Rosie is just as adamant, but she hints at disenchantment over credits. "Mick is a musical person . . . it was just a question of having musical acknowledgement. If you know him or have anything to do with him, you know that he doesn't think of the money at all like that. It was the last thing on his mind. Sure the credits appear as Jagger/Richard, because it's always been the case. They've done by far most of the Stones' writing."

"He'd been thinking maybe it was time to move on, but he didn't know to what," Rosie said. "I don't think he realized how good he was, he'd really forgotten how well he could play. You can hear him on Stones tracks, playing fine music, but still not to the full extent he can do it, not to the extent he used to. In fact, he told Jagger all about it – how well it was working with Bruce. And Mick Jagger said something to the effect that sometimes he wished he could just go and play with someone else. That's the really funny part of it."

This is just an example. The interview referenced was published [but not on record, apparently] winking smiley in the January 30th, 1975 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine.

I'm not sure why a Stones fan (or whichever band you like) should be able to say how many interviews a random person may have done or not done.

thumbs up

Great find, I must have missed that article at the time then, but I don't think she ever revealed anything new, not even by mid 7-tees standards.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 9, 2015 21:52

Naturalust
71Tele
[
I have heard some of the Nagra tapes. When George presents one of his songs you can hear John say in a schoolmaster's voice "run along, Sonny, we're a rock & roll band you know".

Yeah, amazing he was eventually made so insecure around John and Paul that he didn't want to show them his great tune "Something". Took Glyn John's aside to show him and declare he wanted to record it alone.

I think creative relationships are similarly intimate and intense like sexual relationships. Probably why pairs seem to work better than trios and why people like George, Brian and MT get left out and discouraged when you have such strong couplings like Jagger/Richards and Lennon/McCartney.

peace

That's odd, because there's a Get Back session from January 28 (Nagra roll: 542; slate: 415; camera: A) where John and Paul are actually helping him with the song. At that point George is stuck for lyrics, can't figure out how the line "attracts me like a" should go, so first he asks Paul what it should be, saying "I just can't think of what attracted me, that's all," and then John jumps in with advice on constructing a meter for a line of working lyrics: "Just say what comes into your head each time. Attracts me like a cauliflower, 'til you get the word, y'know?" George adds, "I've been through this one, like, for about six months." So they launch into a rough rehearsal take to work out the overall structure of the song, but George finds "cauliflower" hard to say for the line, so eventually he settles on "pomegranate", and for that session George is singing "Something in the way she moves, attracts me like a pomegranate..." And this was in the final few days of the Get Back sessions and they were getting along quite well in this clip, with George in cheerful spirits and asking Paul and John for help with a song and Paul and John being quite helpful. "Do you know now, mister Joe? I don't know, I don't know" was one alternate lyric that John helped him with while constructing this bridge, and "Where did you go, missed the show? I don't know, I don't know" was another as John offers more helpful advice on working lyrics while crafting music for songwriting.

They also indulged George with some 107 takes of his song All Things Must Pass, which the band never quite got the hang of, and you can tell that John did not seem to take the track seriously, as he was on the keyboards vamping away and joking in the background--or perhaps he was just in a good mood that day, who can really tell if you weren't there?

Here is the Something clip from the Get Back sessions:

Date: March 9, 2015 22:09

stonehearted
Naturalust
71Tele
[

peace

That's odd, because there's a Get Back session from January 28 (Nagra roll: 542; slate: 415; camera: A) where John and Paul are actually helping him with the song. At that point George is stuck for lyrics, can't figure out how the line "attracts me like a" should go, so first he asks Paul what it should be, saying "I just can't think of what attracted me, that's all," and then John jumps in with advice on constructing a meter for a line of working lyrics: "Just say what comes into your head each time. Attracts me like a cauliflower, 'til you get the word, y'know?" George adds, "I've been through this one, like, for about six months." So they launch into a rough rehearsal take to work out the overall structure of the song, but George finds "cauliflower" hard to say for the line, so eventually he settles on "pomegranate", and for that session George is singing "Something in the way she moves, attracts me like a pomegranate..." And this was in the final few days of the Get Back sessions and they were getting along quite well in this clip, with George in cheerful spirits and asking Paul and John for help with a song and Paul and John being quite helpful. "Do you know now, mister Joe? I don't know, I don't know" was one alternate lyric that John helped him with while constructing this bridge, and "Where did you go, missed the show? I don't know, I don't know" was another as John offers more helpful advice on working lyrics while crafting music for songwriting.

They also indulged George with some 107 takes of his song All Things Must Pass, which the band never quite got the hang of, and you can tell that John did not seem to take the track seriously, as he was on the keyboards vamping away and joking in the background--or perhaps he was just in a good mood that day, who can really tell if you weren't there?

Fascinating thanks..

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 9, 2015 22:12

DoomandGloom
stonehearted
Naturalust
71Tele
[

peace

Fascinating thanks..

Most of the bad vibe stuff happened at the beginning of the sessions, at Twickenham. By the 28th they were at Apple and in a much better mood.

Date: March 9, 2015 22:23

<<By the 28th they were at Apple and in a much better mood.>>

I think that's due in large part to the presence of Billy Preston. They weren't about to air dirty linen and quarrel with another musician around, so they were on their best behavior once Billy showed up. I think that's why George invited him to the sessions.

Date: March 9, 2015 22:29

stonehearted

I think that's due in large part to the presence of Billy Preston. They weren't about to air dirty linen and quarrel with another musician around, so they were on their best behavior once Billy showed up. I think that's why George invited him to the sessions.
So Billy is playing organ in this clip? Is he on "Abbey Road" version?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 10, 2015 01:29

stonehearted

Yes, exactly. Its been so many years now, I don't recall where/when, but George stated that was specifically one of the reasons he invited Billy Preston into the sessions.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 10, 2015 01:31

DoomandGloom
Naturalust
71Tele
[

peace
You two guys are the greatest, thanks for all the incite. I became a recording engineer solely because of listening to the "Get Back" album and it's outakes leading to "Let It Be." As a kid I studied the bootlegs and more or less figured out how albums were made although in hindsight it may not have been the best example. "Let It Be" was the first Beatle album that I listened to right at the time of it's release. I remember being aware that they had already broken up and this was not a George Martin record. Instead it was a "new phase" Beatle album, the strangest liner note ever.

Yes! How about those odd liner notes? And I remember getting the Get Back/Don't Let Me Down single and seeing it credited to "The Beatles With Billy Preston". I have been obsessed with those sessions ever since.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 10, 2015 02:09

DoomandGloom
stonehearted

Yeah, Billy is on Abbey Road and the final version. He has some great organ on I Want You (She's So Heavy) as well.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 10, 2015 02:14

That is indeed a fascinating clip of them working on Something. I think George's reluctance to show them the tune was obviously at an earlier time. Maybe even Glyn John's helped convince him of the songs greatness and gave him the confidence to share it with the others.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one screaming "like no other lover!" while watching them try to come up with a line. Wonder now if it was George or one of the others who finally nailed it. Not sure if "cauliflower" and "missed the show" were all that helpful, I'd like to think George took it home and finished the lyrics on his own...

What I also noticed on some of those sessions was the presence of Robert Fraser, hanging around Lennon like a shadow, kinda creepy like.

peace

Date: March 10, 2015 02:44

Well one of the things that really upset John about George's autobiography I Me Mine is that he didn't mention John at all. NOT a word about him. And according to Lennon he did help George with lyrics.

Date: March 10, 2015 03:55

whitem8
DoomandGloom
stonehearted

Yeah, Billy is on Abbey Road and the final version. He has some great organ on I Want You (She's So Heavy) as well.
"Here Comes The Sun" ?

Date: March 10, 2015 04:06

DoomandGloom
whitem8
DoomandGloom

"Here Comes The Sun" ?

No, just I Want You (She's So Heavy) and Something.

The Fab 4 nearly became the Fab 5, as Lennon wanted to make him a full member (that's right, Beatle Billy), but Paul was not in favor of the idea.

Date: March 10, 2015 04:19

stonehearted
DoomandGloom
whitem8
DoomandGloom

"Here Comes The Sun" ?

No, just I Want You (She's So Heavy) and Something.

The Fab 4 nearly became the Fab 5, as Lennon wanted to make him a full member (that's right, Beatle Billy), but Paul was not in favor of the idea.
I guess if they were to tour they'd need Billy.. In fact who wouldn't need Preston, his work gets better and better as time goes on....

Date: March 10, 2015 05:04

TO bad Billy has passed. I had the opportunity to meet him at a Beatles Fest and he was very kind and spent time with us chatting.

Date: March 10, 2015 05:12

Apparently in the years leading up to his death he recorded a number of Beatles covers, which remain unreleased. I wonder which ones. Would be nice to hear them eventually.

[www.beatlesbible.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home