Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Hannah" revealed.....
Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: August 1, 2015 03:47

Re: "Hannah" revealed.....
Date: August 1, 2015 04:08

Thanks. "Good looking out" as they say on Long Island.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2015 05:20

Very nice find and read...wellalright!!!!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 1, 2015 08:29

That was a great read, love that song.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 1, 2015 16:51

Aha - finally realised how to enlarge the print so I can read it. Thank you wellalright.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:10

Green Lady
Aha - finally realised how to enlarge the print so I can read it. Thank you wellalright.

Didn't you just put a magnifying glass up against the screen. It's a bit disorienting but you get used to it.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:25

Crap that's bad writing Chris...step your game up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:41

Memory Motel was tracked between March 25th and April 4th. That would be early spring, actually...

25th March - 4th April: Munich, Germany Musicland Studios. Producer: The
Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Keith Harwood.
Additional musicians: Billy Preston (p, org)/Ollie Brown (perc)/Wayne Perkins
(gtr)/Harvey Mandel (gtr)/RW (gtr, bvoc; 30.3. - 4.4.75)
- Cellophane Trousers I (MJ/KR) -instrumental (uses Too Tough-riff)
- Cellophane Trousers II (MJ/KR) -version I with additional lead guitar
- Crazy Mama II (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on piano
and backing vocals, Ollie Brown on cowbell; backing track recorded on the 29th
March, Black And Blue-version
- Crazy Mama III (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on piano
and backing vocals, Ollie Brown on cowbell; edited Sucking In The 70’s-version
- Hand Of Fate I (MJ/KR) -Wayne Perkins on guitar, Ollie Brown on percussion; early
version with partly different lyrics
- Hand Of Fate II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, Wayne Perkins on guitar, Billy
Preston on piano, Ollie Brown on percussion; backing track recorded on the 25th
- Hey Negrita I (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar; early version
- Hey Negrita II (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on organ,
piano and backing vocals; recorded on the 2nd April, Black And Blue-version
- Hot Stuff I (MJ/KR) -Ollie Brown on cowbell, Harvey Mandel on guitar;
with some hardly audible vocals
- Hot Stuff II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, STU and Ollie Brown on
percussion, Harvey Mandel on guitar, Billy Preston on piano; backing
track recorded on the 30th March, Black And Blue-version
- Hot Stuff III (MJ/KR) - RW on backing vocals, STU and Ollie Brown on
track recorded on the 30th March; edit
- Let's Do It Right (MJ/KR)
- Memory Motel I (MJ/KR) -Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel on guitars,
Billy Preston on synthesizer; instrumental, lacking some overdubs
- Memory Motel II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, Wayne Perkins and Harvey
Mandel on guitars, Billy Preston on synthesizer and backing vocals; backing track
recorded on the 31st March, Black And Blue-version
- Munich Reggae (MJ/KR) -instrumental

Date: August 1, 2015 17:48

Whoa...there's a Munichreggae? I have a brother?

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: August 3, 2015 18:39

Around 1977 Annie Leibovitz, the Stones' 1975 tour photographer, told me she was Hannah in Memory Motel, and that she was honored to be so. Annie was ( and I suspect still is) not a person who feels it necessary to brag about herself. I believe her.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 3, 2015 23:01

i dont think annie swings in the proper direction to be "hannah".anyway, one can only imagine the sheer amount of women mick has told they were hannah, and angie and the girl in miss you.

what a beautiful song,i waited 23 years to see them play it until finally,at long last on the no security tour they broke it out. and they nailed it too,it was worth the wait.with mick on the keyboard and keith singing his lines, just like on the record.

Date: August 3, 2015 23:22

Wow Lem! Very cool. Wonder if there is a video? I'll look.

Yeah, not Annie, IMO. I believe this written article- falls into place with tidbits backing it up,
and the vibe in the song comes across to me authentic.

Date: August 3, 2015 23:39

Oh wow. Just watched 2 (for the first time, long story)
50 and counting tour: mmm, slow. I appreciate the song tho.
1998: GREAT. The guitars! Keith! Mick belting it out at the end, then sha la la la, sha la la la.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 4, 2015 00:38

What does it mean to have curt teeth?

Date: August 4, 2015 00:52

drbryant
What does it mean to have curt teeth?

Kurt actually...its a reference to Kurt Cobain's obvious love of dentures...which is weird since he was only 8 at the time

Date: August 4, 2015 02:00

Is the 'curt' reference an inside joke? Or a play on Mick's slurring? You're not making fun of me, are you? :-/.

Date: August 4, 2015 02:06

I don't know about the good dr, but I never make fun...I only make serious

Date: August 4, 2015 02:42

I think the Dr.s good with me. We both went to SD Zip, that makes us family.
Okay, sorry, things are strange. I'm a little strange, but legit.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 4, 2015 02:53

GasLightStreet
Memory Motel was tracked between March 25th and April 4th. That would be early spring, actually...

25th March - 4th April: Munich, Germany Musicland Studios. Producer: The
Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Keith Harwood.
Additional musicians: Billy Preston (p, org)/Ollie Brown (perc)/Wayne Perkins
(gtr)/Harvey Mandel (gtr)/RW (gtr, bvoc; 30.3. - 4.4.75)
- Cellophane Trousers I (MJ/KR) -instrumental (uses Too Tough-riff)
- Cellophane Trousers II (MJ/KR) -version I with additional lead guitar
- Crazy Mama II (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on piano
and backing vocals, Ollie Brown on cowbell; backing track recorded on the 29th
- Crazy Mama III (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on piano
and backing vocals, Ollie Brown on cowbell; edited Sucking In The 70’s-version
- Hand Of Fate I (MJ/KR) -Wayne Perkins on guitar, Ollie Brown on percussion; early
version with partly different lyrics
- Hand Of Fate II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, Wayne Perkins on guitar, Billy
Preston on piano, Ollie Brown on percussion; backing track recorded on the 25th
- Hey Negrita I (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar; early version
- Hey Negrita II (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on organ,
piano and backing vocals; recorded on the 2nd April, Black And Blue-version
- Hot Stuff I (MJ/KR) -Ollie Brown on cowbell, Harvey Mandel on guitar;
with some hardly audible vocals
- Hot Stuff II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, STU and Ollie Brown on
track recorded on the 30th March, Black And Blue-version
- Hot Stuff III (MJ/KR) - RW on backing vocals, STU and Ollie Brown on
track recorded on the 30th March; edit
- Let's Do It Right (MJ/KR)
- Memory Motel I (MJ/KR) -Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel on guitars,
Billy Preston on synthesizer; instrumental, lacking some overdubs
- Memory Motel II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, Wayne Perkins and Harvey
Mandel on guitars, Billy Preston on synthesizer and backing vocals; backing track
recorded on the 31st March, Black And Blue-version
- Munich Reggae (MJ/KR) -instrumental

Fun to see that piece.

Re: the sessionography...weren't there sessions at Montreux late in '75 and/or early '76? And wouldn't those have to be the ones in which, ahem, memories of Hannah and of Montauk were used for the song?

Date: August 4, 2015 02:56

35love

Fantastic...spent a long time in Encinitas but don't miss it...I miss Cardiff...

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 4, 2015 11:35

Maybe I´m just confused, but if I got it right; Memory Motel was recorded late March/early April 1975 in Munich and the rehearsels for the US tour in Montauk took place in late April/May 1975.

Date: August 4, 2015 12:35

RockingLonestar
Maybe I´m just confused, but if I got it right; Memory Motel was recorded late March/early April 1975 in Munich and the rehearsels for the US tour in Montauk took place in late April/May 1975.

The problem with that old timeline is that Jagger would have had to have written about the motel on the basis of an earlier visit to Montauk (at least one documented--immediately following the close of the '72 tour). That is theoretically possible, but doesn't seem at all likely.

Meanwhile, "Hannah's" story, with its corroborating details, is from late spring '75. The lines about Baton Rouge specifically, and the road generally, also strongly suggest that lyrics (at least) were completed after the '75 tour wrapped.

So...Montreux? Anybody know any stories regarding the song's creation and recording? It's certainly a gem...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 4, 2015 12:53

Rev. Robert W.
RockingLonestar

The problem with that old timeline is that Jagger would have had to have written about the motel on the basis of an earlier visit to Montauk (at least one documented--immediately following the close of the '72 tour). That is theoretically possible, but doesn't seem at all likely.

Meanwhile, "Hannah's" story, with its corroborating details, is from late spring '75. The lines about Baton Rouge specifically, and the road generally, also strongly suggest that lyrics (at least) were completed after the '75 tour wrapped.

So...Montreux? Anybody know any stories regarding the song's creation and recording? It's certainly a gem...

Music recorded March 1975 in Munich, vocals recorded December 1975 in Switzerland.

Mathijs

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 4, 2015 15:31

Rev. Robert W.
Re: the sessionography...weren't there sessions at Montreux late in '75 and/or early '76? And wouldn't those have to be the ones in which, ahem, memories of Hannah and of Montauk were used for the song?

751019A 19th - 30th October: Montreux, Switzerland, Mountain Recording Studios (without
BW). Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Keith Harwood. Recording of
overdubs (mainly vocals) and mixing. Additional musicians: Ollie E. Brown (perc)/
Billy Preston (org, p, string synthesizer, bvoc)

The answer to your question is yes they were at Montreux in lateish 1975 so that's when the vocals as we know them were done for Memory Motel. The last bit of work done for the album was in early 1976:

760118A 18th January - February: New York, Atlantic Studios. Producers: The Glimmer Twins.
Sound engineer: Lew Hahn. Additional musicians: Arif Mardin (horn-arrangement) &
some unidentified horn-players. Final mixing for the upcoming album Black And Blue.
- Melody II (MJ/KR) -Black And Blue-version

Date: August 4, 2015 17:57

Munichhilton
35love

Fantastic...spent a long time in Encinitas but don't miss it...I miss Cardiff...

*first time quoting a message here. Not familiar w/ S. CA, we flew in for just the weekend from N. CA. I don't travel much (it had been 10 years since I was on a plane!)
My review of San Diego Zip got published here- you can see how high I was after finally, finally seeing the Stones, I had tickets to '81 and '89 (and worked my tail off for both sets of tickets) and BOTH times, the DAY of the show, I had some horrid luck/ did not see them!
So we shelled out for VIP SD Zip. I was nervous entire lead up to I might be cursed- instead- I got it. Finally, finally got to see.

Date: August 4, 2015 18:39

35love
Munichhilton
35love

*first time quoting a message here. Not familiar w/ S. CA, we flew in for just the weekend from N. CA. I don't travel much (it had been 10 years since I was on a plane!)
My review of San Diego Zip got published here- you can see how high I was after finally, finally seeing the Stones, I had tickets to '81 and '89 (and worked my tail off for both sets of tickets) and BOTH times, the DAY of the show, I had some horrid luck/ did not see them!
So we shelled out for VIP SD Zip. I was nervous entire lead up to I might be cursed- instead- I got it. Finally, finally got to see.

I'm afraid it's all down hill from here...you'll never be the same, and the usual side effects are in order

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 4, 2015 18:48

Munichhilton
35love
Munichhilton
35love

I'm afraid it's all down hill from here...you'll never be the same, and the usual side effects are in order

you know what they say... nothing's quite like your first time quoting a message.

Date: August 4, 2015 20:10

GasLightStreet
Rev. Robert W.

751019A 19th - 30th October: Montreux, Switzerland, Mountain Recording Studios (without
BW). Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Keith Harwood. Recording of
overdubs (mainly vocals) and mixing. Additional musicians: Ollie E. Brown (perc)/
Billy Preston (org, p, string synthesizer, bvoc)

The answer to your question is yes they were at Montreux in lateish 1975 so that's when the vocals as we know them were done for Memory Motel. The last bit of work done for the album was in early 1976:

760118A 18th January - February: New York, Atlantic Studios. Producers: The Glimmer Twins.
Sound engineer: Lew Hahn. Additional musicians: Arif Mardin (horn-arrangement) &
some unidentified horn-players. Final mixing for the upcoming album Black And Blue.
- Melody II (MJ/KR) -Black And Blue-version

Thanks, GasLight. "Memory Motel" has always been a big favorite of mine--so atmospheric, with some superb Jagger lyrics. And while I had always looked down on the Tour of the Americas performances, the LA Forum vault release has been giving me an interesting new perspective...

The whole period is kind of fascinating--with the Stones beginning to re-orient themselves to the NYC area, Mick and Keith's eventual residencies in and around the city, with the Some Girls-Tattoo You run as the eventual product of that NYC energy.

I've heard some stories about young fans leaving the city and heading out on pilgrimages to Montauk to try and find the band and there's something beautiful and a little spooky about all that mid-70s chaos...even the 1978 Woodstock rehearsals don't seem to have any comparable lore.

Probably the darkest, strangest--and sort of funniest--story I've heard is that the Hell's Angels were still entertaining some kind of Altamont revenge fantasy towards Jagger in 1975 and that they prepared an attack on the Warhol estate at Montauk during the '75 rehearsals. The plan, based on an approach from the sea, was foiled when the boat overturned...

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Anyone lurking around with memories of the period? Anyone?

Date: August 4, 2015 20:13

Yes, LOL.

I missed the perfect line from Memory Motel to end my woe as me Stones live story:
'I hit the bottle and I hit the sack and cried' (true)

*first time posting link (love this version, listened over/ over walking today)
[youtu.be]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home