Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Mick Taylor Solo Tour?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 27, 2015 02:47

SweetThing

Well, I don't know about that...but if Rod Stewart would return a favor and take him out with Ronnie Wood and Kenny Jones and someone with a keyboard, doing old Faces and Stones tunes, I would be glad to go.... smiling smiley

Sounds like a great idea, you may be onto something there. But who would replace Mac? Surely not just someone with a keyboard. peace

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 27, 2015 03:06

Naturalust
SweetThing

Well, I don't know about that...but if Rod Stewart would return a favor and take him out with Ronnie Wood and Kenny Jones and someone with a keyboard, doing old Faces and Stones tunes, I would be glad to go.... smiling smiley

Sounds like a great idea, you may be onto something there. But who would replace Mac? Surely not just someone with a keyboard. peace
Chuck?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 27, 2015 05:38

DoomandGloom
Naturalust
SweetThing

Chuck?

You know, initially I wanted to stipulate that it would need to be anyone except Chuck ...then, because I kinda like Chuck - outside the Stones, I didn't want to bash him here yet again, but I guess sometimes it can't be avoided.. So, right..NO plinkety plink...even on fantasy Stones-related projects. His contribution is essential to the legacy/"Vegas" Stones era, and I suppose we should all be appreciative, but I'll just leave it at that. So, no, it would have to be someone else... Is The Master of Space and Time available?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 27, 2015 05:54

SweetThing
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
SweetThing

Chuck?

You know, initially I wanted to stipulate that it would need to be anyone except Chuck ...then, because I kinda like Chuck - outside the Stones, I didn't want to bash him here yet again, but I guess sometimes it can't be avoided.. So, right..NO plinkety plink...even on fantasy Stones-related projects. His contribution is essential to the legacy/"Vegas" Stones era, and I suppose we should all be appreciative, but I'll just leave it at that. So, no, it would have to be someone else... Is The Master of Space and Time available?
Maybe not exactly right for The Faces but there is one legendary keyboardist out there without a big time gig. Bobby Whitlock from Derek and The Dominoes and All Things Must Pass seems like a great go to guy for some classic band.. Perhaps we can form the band right here for Taylor and Bobby... An interesting story, the 90's reunion of Traffic began with a fan hotel phone call to Bob Weir suggesting they ask Traffic to open for The Dead

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 05:59 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: February 27, 2015 08:36

Naturalust
lapaz62
I just hope that he didn't burn too many bridges when he cancelled his last tour.

pmk251
I would not hold my breath for a MT solo tour. Historically, his periods of making money are followed by (sometimes long) periods of inactivity. I assume he made some money last year.

Hopefully the Stones tour significantly increased his ability to fill bigger venues, his fee and the level of promoters he will have to deal with, bridges he had to deal with in past may not be that important. Besides what promoter/booking agent wouldn't understand cancelling a solo tour to play with the Stones?

As far as waiting to tour, I think he might tour fairly soon just because his demand is high right now and he'll strike while the iron is hot. peace

I don't think his stocks would have risen much, the same people who would have went to see him anyway will probably still go but as for new fans, there may be a few but that would hardly make him a bigger draw card.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 27, 2015 09:17

lapaz62
Naturalust
lapaz62
I just hope that he didn't burn too many bridges when he cancelled his last tour.

pmk251
I would not hold my breath for a MT solo tour. Historically, his periods of making money are followed by (sometimes long) periods of inactivity. I assume he made some money last year.

Hopefully the Stones tour significantly increased his ability to fill bigger venues, his fee and the level of promoters he will have to deal with, bridges he had to deal with in past may not be that important. Besides what promoter/booking agent wouldn't understand cancelling a solo tour to play with the Stones?

As far as waiting to tour, I think he might tour fairly soon just because his demand is high right now and he'll strike while the iron is hot. peace

I don't think his stocks would have risen much, the same people who would have went to see him anyway will probably still go but as for new fans, there may be a few but that would hardly make him a bigger draw card.

Maybe...but playing an entire tour as guest with The Rolling Stones definitely had some impact on his visibility and name recognition. A good manager could milk that for some better venues and fees so soon after the tour. Considering the sheer number of new people he's played for the last tour I think the interest is probably more than a few. Besides he probably made some great contacts and learned a few tricks (promotional and show-wise), so I'd expect a better showing from him next time out. peace

Date: February 27, 2015 09:51

DoomandGloom
SweetThing
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
SweetThing

Chuck?

Maybe not exactly right for The Faces but there is one legendary keyboardist out there without a big time gig. Bobby Whitlock from Derek and The Dominoes and All Things Must Pass seems like a great go to guy for some classic band.. Perhaps we can form the band right here for Taylor and Bobby... An interesting story, the 90's reunion of Traffic began with a fan hotel phone call to Bob Weir suggesting they ask Traffic to open for The Dead

Bobby is the man! thumbs up

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: February 27, 2015 11:23

DoomandGloom
fuzzbox
DoomandGloom
well this is a fan site... personally I find the armchair psychiatrist's public diagnosis of anybody in poor taste.

Yet, you do it yourself. smiling bouncing smiley
That's the other me.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 27, 2015 11:36

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
SweetThing
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
SweetThing

Chuck?

Bobby is the man! thumbs up

Bobby doesn't have a gig? No-brainer, then!

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: February 27, 2015 13:08

Whitlock's done very little since the Dominos, really. Some session work, and I think he plays with his wife in Memphis sometimes, but that's about it. Virtually the highest profile thing he's done in recent years was appear on Jools Holland's show to play Bell Bottom Blues with Clapton:

It's a shame, because he's an amazing talent. His backing vocals aren't to everyone's taste but when he takes the lead, he's absolutely great:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 13:08 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 27, 2015 13:11

in the latest issue of the magazine :

THE ROLLING STONES STORIED PRODUCER/ENGINEER Glyn Johns recounts the intoxicating highs and enervating lows of his 13 years’ pressing the Stones’ ‘record’ button, from an ill-starred trip to Morocco with Brian Jones, to financial argy-bargy with Mick Jagger and a final explosive bust-up with Keith Richards in Rotterdam during the Black And Blue sessions.

[www.mojo4music.com]

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 27, 2015 20:19

Stoneburst
To be honest, if Taylor was looking for a quick buck he'd get himself a Jagger lookalike who could blow a bit of harp and occasionally hit the right notes, then some reprobate with a Telecaster in open G, and tour with his own Stones show. Hell, I'd pay to see that. But he has too much self-respect to do it, and I think the more of him for that. Even when he breaks out Can't You Hear Me Knocking in his solo shows, it's not meant to be a crowd-pleaser: the way he does it bears only a passing resemblance to the Stones' album cut.

Yes, he deserves respect for doing his material in his own way.

As I said on the other thread, a few years back when that former Fleetwood Mac bassist (I think it was Bob Brunning) died, the articles in the press said the bassist was scheduled to appear in the studio for sessions for a new Mick Taylor solo album. This has not come out yet. Wouldn't it be great if Taylor were now finishing his album, as he's a little more in the public eye now as an artist than he was before he joined the recent Stones tour, then release this new solo album and tour behind it? I'm curious what became of those recordings and I'm still very much looking forward to the album (though not being a "Taylorhead" myself ... I only have one of his albums).

Date: February 27, 2015 23:20

Stoneburst
Whitlock's done very little since the Dominos, really. Some session work, and I think he plays with his wife in Memphis sometimes, but that's about it. Virtually the highest profile thing he's done in recent years was appear on Jools Holland's show to play Bell Bottom Blues with Clapton:

It's a shame, because he's an amazing talent. His backing vocals aren't to everyone's taste but when he takes the lead, he's absolutely great:

He's clean now and ready to work.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 28, 2015 00:15

Stoneburst
Agree, I think Taylor would dig the chance to play with Beck but possibly not vice versa. None of the old Yardbirds guitarists are particularly good at sharing the stage with other soloists (of a similar calibre, that is).

Beck was fantastic sharing the stage with ZZ Top last summer. And he was good with Brian Wilson, though no one playing guitar that night was in Beck's league.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home