Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Sweet Virginia
Date: February 27, 2015 10:34

Naturalust
Rene, as far as alterations for the info on this song go, I notice the additional backing vocalists are not listed in your first post.

Wiki has them as:

Clydie King, Vanetta Fields, Dr. John, Shirley Goodman, Tammi Lynn - backing vocals
Gram Parsons - backing vocals

Although there has been some debate as to whether Gram actually sang on this tune. And Mick Taylor has been quoted as saying specifically it was him and not Gram. Also not sure about Jimmy Miller on this one.

Actually not sure about any of the others either but I think I hear at least one female singer in there. confused smiley

It's possible the credits for the Let It Loose singers are getting mixed up with this one. Anybody have some better info on this?

peace

According to Taylor it was him that did the back up vocals, not Gram Parsons.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 27, 2015 10:56

A song I loved when I first heard it, but somehow, through the decades, the sheen has worn off. I kind of find it wearying now, a bit of a plod. And the emphasis of/on the word "shit" grates on my nerves as well.

Wild Horses, Dead Flowers and even No Expectations are purer, therefore much better Stones country songs.

Sweet Virginia is, to me, the one weak link on Exile. I nowadays skip it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 27, 2015 21:52

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Rene, as far as alterations for the info on this song go, I notice the additional backing vocalists are not listed in your first post.

Wiki has them as:

Clydie King, Vanetta Fields, Dr. John, Shirley Goodman, Tammi Lynn - backing vocals

Although there has been some debate as to whether Gram actually sang on this tune. And Mick Taylor has been quoted as saying specifically it was him and not Gram. Also not sure about Jimmy Miller on this one.

Actually not sure about any of the others either but I think I hear at least one female singer in there. confused smiley

It's possible the credits for the Let It Loose singers are getting mixed up with this one. Anybody have some better info on this?

peace

Yes I indicated that in the post....but do you hear any female singers on the B/G vocals DP? Kind of hard to tell. peace

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: February 27, 2015 22:38

What key was the studio version in.

Date: February 27, 2015 22:48

Bob C.

I think it was in A major. Probably played in G on at least one of the guitars, capo'ed at the second fret. peace

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 27, 2015 23:07

Naturalust
Bob C.

I think it was in A major. Probably played in G on at least one of the guitars, capo'ed at the second fret. peace

Studio version - two guitars, both standard tuning, one with a capo at the second fret (Keith) the other without a capo (MT).

As for the key of the song, I am completely ignorant in these matters, but most of the notes Taylor plays are indeed included in an A major pentatonic scale.

C

Date: February 28, 2015 00:37

liddas
Naturalust
Bob C.

Studio version - two guitars, both standard tuning, one with a capo at the second fret (Keith) the other without a capo (MT).

As for the key of the song, I am completely ignorant in these matters, but most of the notes Taylor plays are indeed included in an A major pentatonic scale.

C

Can't be too ignorant if you know what an A major pentatonic scale is. cool smiley Anyway it makes perfect sense, Song in the key of A major, Keith playing the main rhythm of the song with G position chording and a capo on the second fret and Taylor ripping country blues fills using the scale you mentioned.

Still curious where GasLightStreet thinks he hears a Gm (or even an actual Am) in the Stripped version. I think he might have just been testing to see if we were awake and listening to him. peace

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 28, 2015 22:08

Naturalust
(...) do you hear any female singers on the B/G vocals DP? Kind of hard to tell. peace

I don´t hear the ladies at all. Sometimes in the Exile mixes they are somewhat hidden behind Keiths high register as on "Loving Cup", but on SV I don´t hear them, even with a OOP mix. I hear many Micks and several Keiths, and then a few (IMHO) Americans. The "far out" comment in the fade out has often been credited Gram, but like you guys, I don´t buy it. Those there has said he didn´t participate, but we have the one Andy Johns quote about him at least trying but was so out of it. I think SV is a Bermondsey-tape thing, not touched much in Nellcote untill Sunset. I think the credits of male back up singers are correct.
Can send you the OOP mix if you drop me a line.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2015 23:55

Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust
Bob C.

C

Can't be too ignorant if you know what an A major pentatonic scale is. cool smiley Anyway it makes perfect sense, Song in the key of A major, Keith playing the main rhythm of the song with G position chording and a capo on the second fret and Taylor ripping country blues fills using the scale you mentioned.

Still curious where GasLightStreet thinks he hears a Gm (or even an actual Am) in the Stripped version. I think he might have just been testing to see if we were awake and listening to him. peace

HA HA!

It's right before the vocals come in. I say G minor because it's the note that makes a G minor chord the minor. I forget the actual note. Some notes are easier than others to picture. G string, 3rd fret. Clearly a blues lick he throws in there. Brilliant.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 1, 2015 00:36

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust
Bob C.

C

HA HA!

It's right before the vocals come in. I say G minor because it's the note that makes a G minor chord the minor. I forget the actual note. Some notes are easier than others to picture. G string, 3rd fret. Clearly a blues lick he throws in there. Brilliant.

After 2 bottles of Jack Daniels and a 2 miles white line one might expect that indeed.thumbs up

Date: March 1, 2015 09:25

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

Wiki has them as:

peace

Yes I indicated that in the post....but do you hear any female singers on the B/G vocals DP? Kind of hard to tell. peace

Ha ha, I missed that! smiling smiley

Date: March 1, 2015 09:30

I don't hear female BU singers, either. The high pitched voices sound like Keith to me.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 14:14

Doxa
BowieStone
Silver Dagger
everything about it suggests that both the lyrics and music were written by Keith.

But I recall that Mick had Sweet Virginia prepared and ready to go.
- Keith Richards, 2010

Things like that keep surprising me... Knowing how much Keith was hanging with Gram Parsons at the time, and probably going rather deep in his country 'studies', it is in the end Jagger who comes up with a pure country song... (possibly "Dead Flowers" was also written by him). "Hi guys, whatcha ya doin'? Aah, that country thing, give me a try as well...?" A bit like him in trying to recover his arm in Australia, he is picking up a guitar, and playing it with a tuning Keith had just learned from Ry Cooder and recorded "Honky Tonk Women" with... "Hmm.. this sounds nice, let's strum some chords here and there.. hmm..yeah...nice. I think I call this "Brown Sugar""...grinning smiley

- Doxa

I think you're reading too much into what Keith was saying. Mick also had "sympathy for the devil" written, but the feel of the song was changed completely in the studio. Same could have been true for "Sweet Virginia".

Date: May 30, 2015 18:53

As Keith indicated... for a guitar player who sucks, Mick has written some pretty interesting tunes in the late 60s and 70s, some that Keith doesn't even play on.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 20:13

GasLightStreet
As Keith indicated... for a guitar player who sucks, Mick has written some pretty interesting tunes in the late 60s and 70s, some that Keith doesn't even play on.

indeed... and keith has written some pretty interesting lyrics.

(i don't think keith sucks as a singer, or mick sucks as a guitar player, for the record.)

Date: May 31, 2015 19:55

Turner68
GasLightStreet

indeed... and keith has written some pretty interesting lyrics.

(i don't think keith sucks as a singer, or mick sucks as a guitar player, for the record.)

I concur. It's just that one has a shitty attitude and one has zero attitude. Keith's Achilles is his jealousy. Which is completely unnecessary.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 8, 2018 16:59

Is this song about a woman named Virginia? Or is an ode to the state of Virginia (in the United States)? I've always assumed it's about a woman named Virginia, but maybe I'm wrong.

Drew

Date: December 8, 2018 17:31

drewmaster
Is this song about a woman named Virginia? Or is an ode to the state of Virginia (in the United States)? I've always assumed it's about a woman named Virginia, but maybe I'm wrong.

Drew

He says 'honey child' so...

Date: December 8, 2018 23:16

GasLightStreet

Did Keith say that?? Some of the best Stones songs were recorded without him. Jagger didn't suck as a guitarist in the studio, actually very good as a guitarist/ singer / songwriter/ harp player. Poor Keith, it must have crushed his Stones-Ego.

Date: December 12, 2018 01:35

TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet

Did Keith say that?? Some of the best Stones songs were recorded without him. Jagger didn't suck as a guitarist in the studio, actually very good as a guitarist/ singer / songwriter/ harp player. Poor Keith, it must have crushed his Stones-Ego.

No, not literally. Just summing Keith up. He's slagged Mick's playing over the years so many times - at least Mick doesn't screw up the intro of Start Me Up TWO GIGS IN A ROW.

Wouldn't that've been fun to have been in the studio when they fixed that for the live release.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 12, 2018 03:51

Any notice a thump out of the right channel at about the 2.5 second mark. Its on every release.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-12 03:53 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 16:25

BowieStone
Silver Dagger
everything about it suggests that both the lyrics and music were written by Keith.

But I recall that Mick had Sweet Virginia prepared and ready to go.
- Keith Richards, 2010

"I recall"...we should probably take most of what Keith says in 2010 about the early-1970s w/ a grain of salt and/or skepticism...for a multitude of reasons.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 13, 2018 17:00

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust
Bob C.

C

HA HA!

Jagger plays an A harmonica in "first position" so the key of the song is indeed A.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 13, 2018 17:37

The Rolling Stones -Sweet Virginia Southampton,May 29,2018
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 13, 2018 18:30

GasLightStreet
drewmaster

Drew

He says 'honey child' so...

The lyric is one of willful alienation, the continued outsider perspective; drugs taking you out of one shared reality for another, trying to "help you through." Jagger yearns for salvation of some kind here, whether the "Virginia" he beckons is a woman, a friend, a place, a state of mind, or all the above.

- Exile On Main St' by Bill Janovitz -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-14 11:00 by z.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home