Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Sweet Virginia
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 23, 2015 19:09

Doxa

Unfortunately, the limits of fresh ideas, using very simple and catchy components, had been seen for a long time in their most typical, Stones-kind of rocker material as well (you know, the riffs, structural choices, melody patterns). The lack of their input during the last decade/s partly is - I think - a reflection of that. They simply just perfected the idiom and said probably anything that can been said within it, a long time ago, and I can understand why it can be artistically frustrating just to circulate and re-warm old ideas - ideas that had been utilized to death already - if there is no longer the inner muse naturally giving new ones. So, in a way, I see their unproductivity also as a kind of sign of artistic honesty. Why to say anything, if there is nothing to say?

- Doxa

Finally a decent excuse for their lack of memorable output in the last many years. Whether true or not it sure sounds good, and in the context of Sweet Virginia almost believable. Hard to go anywhere but down after this kind of perfection...but thankfully we got Far Away Eyes. I don't think Sweet Virginia is tongue and cheek like other Stones country, the delivery is more genuine and believable, especially Keith's harmonies.

Hard to believe the same band that gave us Miss You gave us SV, the Stones were best when they were truly able to mix it up. Maybe they could still write an awesome reggae tune or some other possibly tongue in cheek genre bender that would hold up to their greatest. They seem to have the ability to distill a genre down to it's perfect essence and there are a few genres they have yet to tackle. Something to put Kayne West in his place possibly? winking smiley

peace

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 23, 2015 19:11

treaclefingers
so absolutely authentic sounding, it makes you realize how good they are at what they do.

think of every 'great band', Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, The Kinks, not one of them could come up with a song like this, never mind do a song like this.

It makes you realize that observations like, the Beatles are better than the Stones are completely meaningless. Better at what?

There are other bands that could probably do this song, and make it sound as authentic, but could they also do Miss You, Let's Spend The Night Together, Undercover Of The Night, and Sympathy For The Devil?

The Rolling Stones never influenced Kanye West. Period.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 24, 2015 03:30

Not much to add that hasn't been said ... except:

Come On
This is a masterpiece in the same class as 'Factory Girl' and 'Dead Flowers'..
thumbs upsmileys with beerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry but Sweet Virginia is significantly better than both of those ... and I love both of those.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 04:28

When I saw the Stones perform it on the NO SECURITY TOUR in Anaheim and Mick sang "Thank you for your wine, California," the whole crowd (of Californians) cheered.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:31

BowieStone
Silver Dagger
everything about it suggests that both the lyrics and music were written by Keith.

But I recall that Mick had Sweet Virginia prepared and ready to go.
- Keith Richards, 2010

Things like that keep surprising me... Knowing how much Keith was hanging with Gram Parsons at the time, and probably going rather deep in his country 'studies', it is in the end Jagger who comes up with a pure country song... (possibly "Dead Flowers" was also written by him). "Hi guys, whatcha ya doin'? Aah, that country thing, give me a try as well...?" A bit like him in trying to recover his arm in Australia, he is picking up a guitar, and playing it with a tuning Keith had just learned from Ry Cooder and recorded "Honky Tonk Women" with... "Hmm.. this sounds nice, let's strum some chords here and there.. hmm..yeah...nice. I think I call this "Brown Sugar""...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:50

LeonidP

Come On

Sorry but Sweet Virginia is significantly better than both of those ... and I love both of those.

true.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: February 24, 2015 20:19

Sweet Virginia is right up there with the studio versions of Brown Sugar and Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler (Brussels), and (you pick one) the Stones' Chuck Berry covers, as an example of why the Stones are the Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World. I picture them singing this in a dive somewhere that reeks of stale beer and cigarette smoke. A dive frequented by a bunch of drunks who are sharing a great evening with the entertainment.

Sweet Virginia is the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 24, 2015 20:23

RomanCandle
LeonidP

Come On

true.
thumbs up

Date: February 24, 2015 21:48

Doxa
BowieStone
Silver Dagger
everything about it suggests that both the lyrics and music were written by Keith.

But I recall that Mick had Sweet Virginia prepared and ready to go.
- Keith Richards, 2010

Things like that keep surprising me... Knowing how much Keith was hanging with Gram Parsons at the time, and probably going rather deep in his country 'studies', it is in the end Jagger who comes up with a pure country song... (possibly "Dead Flowers" was also written by him). "Hi guys, whatcha ya doin'? Aah, that country thing, give me a try as well...?" A bit like him in trying to recover his arm in Australia, he is picking up a guitar, and playing it with a tuning Keith had just learned from Ry Cooder and recorded "Honky Tonk Women" with... "Hmm.. this sounds nice, let's strum some chords here and there.. hmm..yeah...nice. I think I call this "Brown Sugar""...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Yeah me too. But I think the songs Mick brought to the table at that time were given pretty special loving attention by Keith and Taylor. The guitar work on Sweet Virginia is just excellent, probably above Mick's abilities at that time and with a distinct Keith feel to the recorded version. What also amazed me is Taylors ability to pick convincing country bluegrass type runs. For someone with a strictly blues foundation, he nails it. peace

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 24, 2015 22:42

And there are a lot of great covers..................

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 24, 2015 22:52

DoomandGloom
RomanCandle
LeonidP

Come On

true.
thumbs up

thumbs down>grinning smiley<

Date: February 25, 2015 22:28

I think the lyrics fit the tune perfectly. Outlaw vibe, raunchy and raw. Can't even imagine the tune with politically correct, radio friendly lyrics. peace

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:45

... Who said anything about "politically correct" or "radio-friendly"??
The lyrics are semi-coherent and don't seem very finished, that's all - and the track is perfect anyway.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:02

Such fine acoustic playing by Keith and Taylor, especially the first two minutes of the song. Later in the song it vanishes somehow, which is a loss.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:12

I always thought it was "Wadin' through the wheeze (of a) stormy winterrrrr"!

Date: February 25, 2015 23:29

That's the fun of this song everybody hears something different.....

I still hear Mick singing "Thank you for the wine "gonnaphoneyou"" grinning smiley

Date: February 25, 2015 23:38

with sssoul
... Who said anything about "politically correct" or "radio-friendly"??
The lyrics are semi-coherent and don't seem very finished, that's all - and the track is perfect anyway.

Reagan mentioned the lyrics should have been worked better so suitable for radio, I added the politically correct part. Wasn't responding to "flip city" although the term brought a smile to my face. grinning smiley peace

Posted by: FeelTheFire ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:41

The Stones have written greater songs than this, but nothing better.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:51

I liked how Keith changed it a tiny bit on STRIPPED by throwing in that G minor.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:56

such a great song, nothing else sounds anything like it.

Date: February 25, 2015 23:59

FeelTheFire

Is this sentence correct.............

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:34

NICOS
FeelTheFire

Is this sentence correct.............

It may not be correct, but it's true!

Drew

Date: February 26, 2015 05:59

GasLightStreet
I liked how Keith changed it a tiny bit on STRIPPED by throwing in that G minor.

confused smiley, What G minor?

peace

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 26, 2015 10:05

Naturalust
Reagan mentioned the lyrics should have been worked better so suitable for radio, I added the politically correct part.
Wasn't responding to "flip city" although the term brought a smile to my face. grinning smiley peace

Well but what difference does it make what ... wait ... ohhh a POSTER named Reagan? It's all falling into place now :E
Keith did suggest this should be the first single, sweetly feeling the sh1t wouldn't matter to anyone.
I forget which book I read that in, though. Bill's?

Date: February 26, 2015 10:15

Naturalust
GasLightStreet

peace

I assume he's talking about the country licks he's doing in there, where he's going in and out of minor/major scales - but I'm not sure..

Date: February 26, 2015 18:58

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
GasLightStreet

peace

I assume he's talking about the country licks he's doing in there, where he's going in and out of minor/major scales - but I'm not sure..

Maybe so but it sounds like he's talking about a chord. I'm pretty sure the Stripped version is A, but I still don't hear the minor chord. Care to tell us what you're talking about GasLightStreet? Thx. peace

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: February 27, 2015 05:45

with sssoul
Naturalust
Reagan mentioned the lyrics should have been worked better so suitable for radio, I added the politically correct part.
Wasn't responding to "flip city" although the term brought a smile to my face. grinning smiley peace

Well but what difference does it make what ... wait ... ohhh a POSTER named Reagan? It's all falling into place now :E
Keith did suggest this should be the first single, sweetly feeling the sh1t wouldn't matter to anyone.

For the record, I like the lyrics. I like them in spite of their sloppiness, but the chorus prevented the song from being a single. And I think it could have been a radio hit had it been released. That's all.

-Reagan

Date: February 27, 2015 06:47

Reagan
with sssoul
Naturalust

For the record, I like the lyrics. I like them in spite of their sloppiness, but the chorus prevented the song from being a single. And I think it could have been a radio hit had it been released. That's all.

-Reagan

No worries, Reagan, wasn't critical of your opinion, just have a different one. I recall seeing Keith sing that one line " got to scrape that shit right off your shoes" with some joy, especially in the earlier video's, thinking that it was clearly his favorite line in the song.

But they probably could have come up with something that still fit the tune but was still suitable for radio:

got to scrape that shit right off your shoes
girl you blow the dust right off my blues ...

Mick already used "but take the shine right off your shoes" in Let it Loose, one of the best lines in that tune.

peace

Date: February 27, 2015 07:01

Rene, as far as alterations for the info on this song go, I notice the additional backing vocalists are not listed in your first post.

Wiki has them as:

Clydie King, Vanetta Fields, Dr. John, Shirley Goodman, Tammi Lynn - backing vocals
Gram Parsons - backing vocals

Although there has been some debate as to whether Gram actually sang on this tune. And Mick Taylor has been quoted as saying specifically it was him and not Gram. Also not sure about Jimmy Miller on this one.

Actually not sure about any of the others either but I think I hear at least one female singer in there. confused smiley

It's possible the credits for the Let It Loose singers are getting mixed up with this one. Anybody have some better info on this?

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 07:56 by Naturalust.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 27, 2015 08:32

Part of its charm is its sloppiness and the EOMS sonic gumbo. One more time, a Stones song that sounds like it's being held together by a bunch of elastic bands.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home