Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hearing Songs for the first time
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 23, 2015 01:31

How you're doing when you hear a song for the first time?
When I do normally I find it boring, but when I hear it a few times and my head knows better how the melody goes, I start to like it more. For example I don't really liked the ABB Album when it came out, but now after hearing it many times I really love it.
But there are also Songs I have to hear one time only and I fall in love with them. It was like that when I heard JJF the first time.

Re: Hearing Songs for the first time
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 23, 2015 03:01

It depends on the song. When I heard The Cult's Fire Woman the first time I about flipped. When I heard the Stones' Start Me Up from FLASHPOINT I was ecstatic. When I first heard Love Is Strong I thought, well, that sounds familiar, indeed it was as wicked as it seemed, but then the chorus kicked in and I laughed - they've finally imitated themselves to the point of hilarity! With the SFTDesque woo woo's... which I thought was brilliant, actually.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 23, 2015 03:18

Truth is, in these days of iTunes single song selection, playlists and skip track buttons, if I don't like it the first time around I rarely go back for seconds. But if I love a tune I will often play it a dozen times basking in the feeling. peace

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: February 23, 2015 03:39

I think listening to music is a lot like any other kind of art appreciation.

Think of when you look at a painting.

You first look at it from a few feet away, and get the overall feel for what the artist is trying to express.

If it appeals to you at first, then you step in, and study it a little closer.

You start to notice the details, and the nuances that went into it.

To me, it's the same with music.

It's just as you said.

When you first hear a song, you only get a feel for the overall melody and the lyrics.

If you like it, you listen to it again, and again.

You start to appreciate some of the details in the playing, or maybe some of the meaning to the lyrics.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 23, 2015 03:59

some songs are growers...with multiple listens....some are shrinkers and suffer from shrinkage

Date: February 23, 2015 12:28

Then also there can be a story or just a piece of info about the song,the creation of it, the recording of it, that can drastically change my perception of it.

Take 'Following the River" e.g.. Not one of my favorite Jagger things. Hate the lyrics too. Then I read a story of Jagger talking about how hard he worked at finding the melody over this older piano track by Nicky. And it is rare that Jagger shows this unguarded side of himself; the true musician who loves what he does; that he shows it without cynicism. He says that it was a very good moment; that it means something to him. This has now changed the way I hear that song.

It doesn't happen too often though that a song that I go crazy for at first listen, holds up over time. You will recognize the great ones right awasy, but to fall in love?
"Rocks off" and "Bittersweet Symphony" are two I can think of. No many more

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 23, 2015 14:03

KindaBlue

You first look at it from a few feet away, and get the overall feel for what the artist is trying to express.

It's just as you said.

When you first hear a song, you only get a feel for the overall melody and the lyrics.

You start to appreciate some of the details in the playing, or maybe some of the meaning to the lyrics.

A really good comparison thumbs up Hadn't thought about that. And because there are so many different ways how songs are written (some are based on a melody, some are rhythm-driven or the words are what makes the song good), some songs need to be listened many times, till you notice some details that make it good for you.

Date: February 23, 2015 14:32

Palace Revolution 2000
Then also there can be a story or just a piece of info about the song,the creation of it, the recording of it, that can drastically change my perception of it.

Take 'Following the River" e.g.. Not one of my favorite Jagger things. Hate the lyrics too. Then I read a story of Jagger talking about how hard he worked at finding the melody over this older piano track by Nicky. And it is rare that Jagger shows this unguarded side of himself; the true musician who loves what he does; that he shows it without cynicism. He says that it was a very good moment; that it means something to him. This has now changed the way I hear that song.

It doesn't happen too often though that a song that I go crazy for at first listen, holds up over time. You will recognize the great ones right awasy, but to fall in love?

So true!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 23, 2015 15:12

When I first heard Free on the radio, singing a track named All Right Now, I had to stop my car, pull over and listen. It was just that explosive. Only happened once before. And never since. The first Stones song I ever heard, from London on my little crystal set in Perth, Australia, was Route 66. Jaw dropped. That's for me, I thought.

Most every song I hear though, I either like straight away, or don't. Those I don't, I rarely get back to. If it don't grab me first time, it's gone. Probably missed a few because off this but whatever.

I agree though that the greats, they tend to jump out at you, pretty much straight off. IS there anyone on this board for example that does not feel that way about Gimme Shelter? You just sorta know...

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 23, 2015 15:34

"She's in Parties" is a tour de force but when I first heard this song I didn't like it because of the Bowie copycat vocals.

When I first saw this video last year I found it ridiculous and I thought they were a bunch of punk wannabees. Then I listened to their last two albums, which are both fantastic. (especially the guitar work)

So now I try to avoid knee-jerk reactions when I listen to a song for the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-23 15:40 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 23, 2015 16:00

Most of the time, especially for new stuff it's the first impression I get of the song when I hear it. I mean, I can tell first time that I'm not going to like a song for repeated listenings (or feel good while listening to it).

But I'm not a good judge for this because my tastes in popular music (or any music that makes me feel good while listening) tends to be for older stuff released (by 1990 I gave up hope).

A case in point about older stuff...I kinda enjoyed Lady Gaga's hook up with Tony Bennet and the classic old songs performed, but do not have any interest or liking to the suff she did on her own.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-23 16:02 by nightskyman.

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: February 24, 2015 05:03

StonedRambler
KindaBlue

It's just as you said.

A really good comparison thumbs up Hadn't thought about that. And because there are so many different ways how songs are written (some are based on a melody, some are rhythm-driven or the words are what makes the song good), some songs need to be listened many times, till you notice some details that make it good for you.

Thanks! I wrote that on only one glass of wine!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 24, 2015 08:47

I think it depends upon where you hear it and how you hear it.
For instance, when I first heard the Hollies Carrie-Anne it was a mono mix on a AM station, and I was just laying in bed studying. To this day, I've never heard a version as good as that.
Plus I've heard more than a few people say (my older brother and sister included) that the best version of Satisfaction was when they heard it from a portable AM transistor radio.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 24, 2015 09:09

the best version of Satisfaction was when they heard it from a portable AM transistor radio.

Yeah that riff just ground from the speaker ... talk about dominatin' the airwaves

ROCKMAN

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 22:22

listening to the stones or any other band for that matter i feel is always better when watching on youtube, whether it be the promotional video or concert footage, many songs have grown on me over the years when i have the visuals as well as the sound.

Date: February 24, 2015 23:07

Many songs have grown on me over the years thanks to rap samples, especially chipmunk soul samples.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 24, 2015 23:17

RomanCandle
Many songs have grown on me over the years thanks to rap samples, especially chipmunk soul samples.

The Chipmunks do grow on ya

Date: February 25, 2015 11:03

Rollin' Stoner
RomanCandle

The Chipmunks do grow on ya

That's @#$%& scary. eye popping smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:20

I remember hearing several songs for the first time and being blown away:cool smiley

I'm On Fire - Dwight Twilley Band
Ah Leah - Donnie Iris
September Gurls - Big Star
Surrender - Cheap Trick

and many Stones tunes (lead single off of new albums usually)

I also sadly remember the first time I heard:

Rapper's Delight
YMCA
etc.

Wondered where music had went/was headed. Now all of my nightmares have come true!confused smiley

Date: February 25, 2015 22:22

I guess you can tell I love power pop!

Better add Born To Run to the top list.

Date: February 25, 2015 22:25

Do you like "When You Find Out" by The Nerves?

Date: February 25, 2015 22:33

Will check it out

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:53

i never get it when rap and the stones get mentioned in the same sentence.

they are polar opposites.

Date: February 26, 2015 00:15

buttons67
i never get it when rap and the stones get mentioned in the same sentence.

they are polar opposites.

*cough*Anybody Seen My Baby?*cough* *cough*Too Much Blood*cough*

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 26, 2015 00:23

I think the first time I heard Anybody Seen My Baby was the first time I saw the video. I thought it was astoundingly brilliant.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: February 26, 2015 06:45

Will never forget the first time I heard Rambler. Was lying on the floor with my head between the speakers listening to Let it Bleed (just released that very day) all the way thru. Rambler comes on. I'm really digging it. Started to mellow out a bit during the middle jam, then "ya heard about the Boston"... WHACK. Musta knocked 20 years off my life.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 26, 2015 08:59

When I heard Van the Mans album 'Astral Weeks' for the first time (around 1980) I thougt it was the most magical I have ever heard...I still do...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 26, 2015 10:49

Primal Screams Movin On Up hit me right away in the solar plexus. ASTONISHING!!

Date: February 26, 2015 17:21

Palace Revolution 2000

True. Since I love "religious" music (not sure why actually), cello and Messiaen, I fell in love with this piece for cello and piano at the first listen. (not the same version, though)

video: [m.youtube.com]

But the more you learn about the story behind it, the more it moves you. The Quartet for the End of Time was written in 1941, in a prisoner-of-war camp in Görlitz (Germany).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 26, 2015 17:42

Come On
When I heard Van the Mans album 'Astral Weeks' for the first time (around 1980) I thougt it was the most magical I have ever heard...I still do...

About 1986 for me...sublime.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home