Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: ROCKS OFF: The perfect Rolling Stones Song?
Posted by: Starr ()
Date: February 14, 2015 13:54

Yeah, great song on a great album. Then you have the Swedish cover band of the same name "Rocks Off" - they did a brilliant rendition of this song in Stampen club, Stockholm, the night before the Stones concert... love it!

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: February 14, 2015 15:05

Chris Fountain
Rocks Off would also be a great choice for a Ring Tone.

haha... Rocks Off IS the sms-ringtone for my workphone thumbs up

Date: February 14, 2015 16:01

I don't gop much for the word 'perfect' in music, but yes - this song sums up so much of what is great in the Stones.
The riff, the great lead vocal, the lyrics, the horns, the break-down bridge, the fade-out, Nicky Hopkins, a tambourine, the fact that it is a very loose basic track before the overdubs. What I like most about it is that it is an uptempo song, but has a great melody.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 14, 2015 16:07

A perfect Stones song, yes, amongst numerous others........(I thought the Voodoo lounge live versions were tremendous, esp New Orleans..........

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 14, 2015 16:15

It is an exciting song that works on me really well, no doubt about it. A great song that wasn't a commercial smash-hit but musically is satisfying for most rolling stones fans.Perfect.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 14, 2015 16:53

I feel it was never meant to be a smash hit..just a good rocker among many during the exile album..I love it and glad they didnt put the polish of a try hard #1..

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 14, 2015 16:55

A great opening track from Exile

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 14, 2015 16:59

The Stones rarely firing on all cylinders...this was it
I also enjoy The Polices Rocks Anne...sort of paying homage I would guess

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 14, 2015 17:06

I was making love last night
To a dancer friend of mine.
I can't seem to stay in step,
'Cause she come ev'ry time that she pirouettes over me.

There's no one "perfect" Stones song - they hit perfection so many times that there is an embarrassment of riches in that regard - but this one does it for me every time.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 14, 2015 17:34

If you see my thread of Greatest Stones Song Never Released as a Worldwide Single, this is it!

There is, in my opinion, no finer example of EVERYTHING this band does and does so well, than this song. Sure, Rambler is amazing, Gimme Shelter incredible, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, and Satisfaction timeless, but this one is approached only by Jumping Jack Flash and Live With Me as being close your eyes and picture - THE ROLLING STONES!

From the opening, almost mean, "Oh Yeah!" to the frantic pace of the rhythm section and the horns as the song fades, this song's place as the lead track on their finest LP had to blow people's heads off when they bought this record. Imagine, June, 1972, ripping off the cello-wrap and putting this MONSTER on the turntable!

I have a ridiculously rare test pressing of this song which is a different (mono) mix that the Stones "tested" out on the UK airwaves in May of 72, and I will tell you that nothing could have ever prepared one for such a full-frontal onslaught of the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World at the absolute zenith of its craft like this song demonstrates.

Why it was not a single, I cannot imagine, but, regardless, since I first heard it almost 40 years ago, I can say I have never looked back.

Were one to open up my disctionary to the definition of Rock & Roll - this is it!

Kick me like you kicked before - I can't even feel the pain no more.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 14, 2015 18:20

I'm surprised the perfect Rolling Stones song isn't "The Gomper".

Tumbling Dice, Let it loose, All down the line. Isn't even my favorite song on the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-14 18:22 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 14, 2015 18:29

There are too many perfect Stones songs to single out one...but I will declare Rocks Off the most perfect opening track on any Stones album. Hands down, and I dare anyone to argue with me... smiling smiley

Date: February 14, 2015 18:35

There are too many perfect Stones songs to single out one...but I will declare Rocks Off the most perfect opening track on any Stones album. Hands down, and I dare anyone to argue with me...

Mercy Mercy
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Start me up

I guess it is all subjective, beauty in the eyes of the beholder.

Mercy Mercy is a great song to open an album with.

Date: February 14, 2015 18:37

Also, for the blues connoisseurs, not even sure if one can call this a blues song to be the "perfect Rolling Stones song."

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 14, 2015 18:38

latebloomer
There are too many perfect Stones songs to single out one...but I will declare Rocks Off the most perfect opening track on any Stones album. Hands down, and I dare anyone to argue with me... smiling smiley

Sympathy, Gimme shelter, Brown sugar, Start me up?......just wondering.......

Personally Hotstuff, Dancing with Mr D, Love is strong and If you can't rock me are openers that told me I was in for a treat too.........

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-15 00:18 by EddieByword.

Date: February 14, 2015 18:43

I think Sympathy or Gimme Shelter wins best opening number...RO is b grade compared to those superstars..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 14, 2015 18:58

Eleanor Rigby
I think Sympathy or Gimme Shelter wins best opening number...RO is b grade compared to those superstars..

The brillance of Sympathy, GS, BS...they would all shine no matter where they were in an album. But Rocks Off would not have the same impact were it placed anywhere else on Exile. It is the engine that drives everything to follow.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:01

i heard it on the radio and thought, "I have to get this album!" (And then I was disappointed by the rest of the album.)

Date: February 14, 2015 19:04

latebloomer
Eleanor Rigby

The brillance of Sympathy, GS, BS...they would all shine no matter where they were in an album. But Rocks Off would not have the same impact were it placed anywhere else on Exile. It is the engine that drives everything to follow.

for sure...I dont disagree, but the song is no "superstar"..

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:04

71Tele
The perfect intro riff for sure, and a murky, mysterious, and fascinating recording. A real challenge to play live, as the lead vocal jumps a whole octave. Highlights for me are Keith's harmonies (they peaked on this lp as vocalists, imo) and the way Mick Taylor sneaks in with those nasty runs at the end. Oh, forgot to mention the epic horns and Charlie's propulsive fills on the drums. It just doesn't get any better...

And towards the end as off somewhere around 3:10/3:15 it's such a great combination of drums, horns and especially the piano becoming more prominent and everything is in full swing for over a minute and you wish it would continue for one more... and another one...

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:24

I remember Mick twirling around while singing the "pirouettes" part at The Bercy Stadium, Paris on the Licks tour - it was amazing...

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:24

BroomWagon

There are too many perfect Stones songs to single out one...but I will declare Rocks Off the most perfect opening track on any Stones album. Hands down, and I dare anyone to argue with me...

Mercy Mercy
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Start me up

I guess it is all subjective, beauty in the eyes of the beholder.

Mercy Mercy is a great song to open an album with.

Or, following the British catalogue, what about "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love"? Even if a cover. An all time great!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:37

it's practically criminal that there's no grammy for best wet dream song, come to think of it, so to speak.

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:38

honky tonk woman, maybe because its the first stones I ever heard,it might not be the best song they ever did, but when I think of the rolling stones I think of this song,country meets blues=rock and roll, that's what this song is and that's what the rolling stones have always been.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 14, 2015 19:40

Natlanta
it's practically criminal that there's no grammy for best wet dream song, come to think of it, so to speak.

Maybe no Grammy, but you could start a thread. Just sayin'.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2015 21:59

BroomWagon
Also, for the blues connoisseurs, not even sure if one can call this a blues song to be the "perfect Rolling Stones song."

The Stones are not a blues band. Playing blues songs (very well) periodically doesn't make them a blues band.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 14, 2015 23:46

treaclefingers
Is it better than Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For the Devil, or Jumpin’ Jack Flash?
I don’t know...but it is the perfect Rolling Stones song.

Gimme Shelter's intro is unbeatable, imo. Their best song without any doubt, along with Monkey Man and Moonlight Mile.

Date: February 15, 2015 16:00

RomanCandle
treaclefingers
Is it better than Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For the Devil, or Jumpin’ Jack Flash?
I don’t know...but it is the perfect Rolling Stones song.

Gimme Shelter's intro is unbeatable, imo. Their best song without any doubt, along with Monkey Man and Moonlight Mile.

Gimme Shelter's subject matter is darker, more serious. That coupled with what is inarguably one of the best vocal duo/duals in history and that guitar...yes I would agree it is unbeatable on one level.

But I'm talking about the whole package, which includes fusing all the elements, the vocals, lyrics, guitars/the riff, bass, drums, KEYBOARDS, HORNS, all that energy...my point is they delivered the whole she-bang on ROCKS OFF better than any other song in their wide canon.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 15, 2015 16:35

"The guitars, the groove, the horns"

Yes, and ADTL for these reasons too.

Date: February 15, 2015 17:02

ryanpow
"The guitars, the groove, the horns"

Yes, and ADTL for these reasons too.

I've nothing but love for that song.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home