Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Will TAYLOR still tour with the Stones??
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 25, 2015 18:28

Who is Will Taylor?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 25, 2015 22:05

One of the reasons Taylor would be great for a whole show is that the current setlists are largely made up of songs when he was in the band. If the Stones were playing all songs from the last 30 years I don't think we'd even be having this discussion.

peace

Posted by: winter ()
Date: January 25, 2015 23:06

dcba
treaclefingers
I'd like to understand the logic of dragging him around the world for one or two songs a night.

Because the Stones are an entity that's moving forward. After Taylor left they moved forward and forgot about him. Bringing him back into the band and give him 7-10 numbers to play would be a move backward, back to the 69-73 years.
The Stones and Jagger specifically don't move backward. So they'll play D&G with Ron Wood not "Winter" with Taylor.

Okay there would be still be the possibility of a handful of (500$ tix) club-gigs with a setlist entirely designed around the MT years but that would require lots of rehearsals :
- the band's too old for this and
- Jagger knows the band still has a limited number of shows in it so he prefers to play stadiums and satisfy the majority not us IORR people.

Strategically speaking, it's unbeatable... thumbs up

So yeah Taylor will be a 2-songs wonder till the band stops.

Nonsense.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 25, 2015 23:21

dcba

Because the Stones are an entity that's moving forward. After Taylor left they moved forward and forgot about him. Bringing him back into the band and give him 7-10 numbers to play would be a move backward, back to the 69-73 years.

Back to the '69-'73 years would be step forward when it comes to the Stones these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-25 23:22 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2015 23:35

dcba
treaclefingers
I'd like to understand the logic of dragging him around the world for one or two songs a night.

The Stones and Jagger specifically don't move backward. So they'll play D&G with Ron Wood not "Winter" with Taylor.

Okay there would be still be the possibility of a handful of (500$ tix) club-gigs with a setlist entirely designed around the MT years but that would require lots of rehearsals :
- the band's too old for this and
- Jagger knows the band still has a limited number of shows in it so he prefers to play stadiums and satisfy the majority not us IORR people.

Strategically speaking, it's unbeatable... thumbs up

So yeah Taylor will be a 2-songs wonder till the band stops.

If they are so far forward, then why is their set list so old?

Can't have it both ways my man. And why include him at all...seems as though they're reaching back a bit?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2015 23:38

Naturalust
One of the reasons Taylor would be great for a whole show is that the current setlists are largely made up of songs when he was in the band. If the Stones were playing all songs from the last 30 years I don't think we'd even be having this discussion.

peace

....and here we have an actual logical, non-emotional response.

For the nerds that keep railing on about the band moving forward, then they should put out a new album more than once a decade AND when they do, play the damn songs in concert.

In the alternative, maybe include MT on some of the iconic songs he recorded with the band, and played on when he was with the band. That would probably include 14 or 15 songs at every show.

Posted by: jhrock83 ()
Date: January 25, 2015 23:40

OFF COURSE HE WILL STAY WITH THE STONES.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2015 01:24

.......HOW DO YA KNOW THAT????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: January 26, 2015 14:54

Perhaps they need another gimmick if they are going to go on much further.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 26, 2015 15:12

For MT is a great deal, touring the world as tourist with zero cost only to play 20-25 minutes every 3 days with 4-5 months off with each leg, he's the most lucky man in the current Stones world right now, no more boring club shows playing to 100-200 50+ years old farts, he's an old man too and this oportunity is too good to be true for him.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 26, 2015 15:12

MrThompsonWooft

HOLOGRAM - Brian Jones, on guitar etc.

Sinatra and Presley have been resurrected, I believe.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: January 26, 2015 16:17

MrThompsonWooft
Bill Wyman to perform "In Another Land"?!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 26, 2015 16:26

every indication would indicate that he will be playing with them going forward, as there's been no indication to the contrary..

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 26, 2015 17:19

Hey don't shoot me! I'm only describing what's obvious in the band policy, sth most of haven't caught yet.
What you all fail to realize is among a crowd of 80 000 how many poeple come for Taylor? 1000? Less...?

The Stones are the Stones and Jagger would change the course of the Stones-ship to please the (marginal) IORR crowd who often don't know what they want :

Taylor is back and you moan. Had Taylor never been invited back in the band you would have moaned in another key! grinning smiley

Like I said Jagger knows what then band can and cannot do in 2015 : reworking the setlist to accomodate MT's presence is NOT sth they can or will do. The Stones are on the same tracks as they were in Nov. 2012 and it won't change.
Live with it or enjoy the Brussels'73 "boot".

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 26, 2015 20:49

"Reworking the setlist to accomodate MT's presence"? Who says they need to "rework the setlist"? The setlist is already full of stuff from the glory Taylor years!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 26, 2015 21:10

georgelicks
For MT is a great deal, touring the world as tourist with zero cost only to play 20-25 minutes every 3 days with 4-5 months off with each leg, he's the most lucky man in the current Stones world right now, no more boring club shows playing to 100-200 50+ years old farts, he's an old man too and this oportunity is too good to be true for him.

What a gig!!! He can relax and float downstream. As far as payments go, my theory is he gets the same money for playing on two tunes that he would get for playing on five or ten. Plus he is on tour to play substitute guitar if Keith or Ron get ill on tour. Probably to make insurers happy. So MickT should be back on tour again and again with the Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-26 21:10 by triceratops.

Date: January 26, 2015 21:25

He's not there to play "substitute guitar".

If Keith gets ill they won't play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-26 21:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 26, 2015 21:43

Probably true for all 4 members, no Ronnie, Keith, Mick or Charlie...no show. Although I'd personally love to see a show with MT substituting for Ronnie, I doubt it will ever happen. Ronnie can be a crutch for Keith and I doubt he would be comfortable playing a show without him. I've seen Ronnie take over rhythm parts for Keith to keep the song going strong on more than one occasion. peace

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: January 27, 2015 03:02

MileHigh
I think Mick Taylor was brought back as a "marketing hook" more than anything. They just needed something new to create more press and a buzz among both die-hard and casual Stones fans. That's good for the gate. It's not for artistic reasons. It's not because they spontaneously all started jamming together and realized that they had something special going on.

I feel good for Mick Taylor because I read that one article where they said he couldn't even pay his bills in recent years and was in pretty dire straights.

How many songs did he play on in Kansas City in 1981? I view that as the 'real' concert return of Mick Taylor with the Stones. I have only seen a few pictures of that concert. If he played a bunch of tunes with them and they filmed it, what a great document that would be to have.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like Mick Taylor aged just as much as Keith over the past 40 years. I think he is propped up to much but the people around here with respect to his recent appearances. I am not really hearing the soaring, dynamic, "steal the show" lead guitar playing on Brussels, for example.

Time travels so much faster when you are older, it's scary. Can this really be
the fourth calendar year where we may see another continuation of the "return of the Stones?" Yikes!

I am not convinced that this year will see them do light touring again. Perhaps just three or four shows, or perhaps just nothing. For all the good vibes, I think the Ship of the Stones is being held together by elastic bands. For example, if Charlie calls it quits, then it's all over. Don't be surprised, but even if Darryl Jones called it quits that may kill it all.

Fantasy: Go out with a bang: Five concerts over 10 days, all tickets by lottery with a ticket price of 10 bucks. That's it, that's really the end of the line. Then they all can just do their own thing. Honestly, they must be tired in general, and must be really tired of playing the war horses. Bill Wyman is a great model for how to find happiness by simply doing what you really want to do on your own terms. I looked at Ron Wood's YouTube channel and you can see he is just having some fun on his own terms. He plays DJ and does some casual interviews and has fun.

No matter what 1968 to 1973 will live on forever. Then we had some nice spikes in 1978, 1981, 1989, 1997, etc. You look at them doing Bye Bye Johnny in Ladies and Gentlemen and you say to yourself as a smug Stones fan that nobody, anywhere, anytime could match that Rock and Roll greatness. Mick Jagger doesn't have to "jump around" all the time, just _deliver_, and does he ever deliver in that song. There are a lot of other shining moments like that that just blow any other band out of the water.

Of course he has aged. Time does that to everyone. You say he does not soar anymore? Well he only gets one song to soar on, the other he has an acoustic guitar. You can't really fly (soar) on one wing (song). He always rocks Midnight Rambler and seems to add something refreshing everytime he played on it. I would like to hear him reprise songs he originated on too. But after anticlimactic hoping the last 2 years I resigned myself to "it ain't never gonna happen".

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 27, 2015 03:13

<<he is on tour to play substitute guitar if Keith or Ron get ill on tour.>>

Really? I thought his status was as a special guest. Substitute guitar? Why should the guitarists need substitutes? The only time a show has been cancelled since 2012 was because the singer got ill. Why no substitute singer?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 27, 2015 07:11

treaclefingers
Naturalust

peace

....and here we have an actual logical, non-emotional response.

For the nerds that keep railing on about the band moving forward, then they should put out a new album more than once a decade AND when they do, play the damn songs in concert.

In the alternative, maybe include MT on some of the iconic songs he recorded with the band, and played on when he was with the band. That would probably include 14 or 15 songs at every show.

This...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 27, 2015 12:23

Actually I would be more interested to see Taylor play on some non Taylor era stuff. Just for a change. See Streets in Rome. At least we would have something new to discuss

C

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 27, 2015 12:59

Personally, I have heard Rambler one time to many. If that is all he is going to play I wouldn't mind him going. But this seems to be some kind of payback from the Stones vis-a-vis Taylor.
For the lost of royalties in the past maybe. And I wouldn't begrudge him that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2015 15:14

Once there was Dick, then Mick and now, probably, Will Taylor...

Okay okay.. a bad one...

- Doxa

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 27, 2015 23:49

He did play a couple of Sways during the American leg of the tour in 2013. Apart from the fact that those Sway performances weren't played the way they should be played (too fast, missing the groove, dubious singing), Taylor got the second solo and didn't have much time to do it. Nevertheless, this one is not bad at all. Some nice fills as well:

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 27, 2015 23:54

The Glastonbury Can't You Hear Me Knocking solo was quite nice too. Who wouldn't want to hear it:

[docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-27 23:56 by kleermaker.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 28, 2015 00:51

NICOS
Who is Will Taylor?

He was Will Perks before the name change...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 28, 2015 09:02

From Taylor's perspective....SHOULD he tour with them if asked again?

Maybe he has set himself up a wee bit better financially due to 2013-2015.

He might say NO, not for one song. If it were me, and I now had financial independence, I MIGHT hold it over The Stones to give me a 3 -4 song mini-set in the middle of the show. I would not want to come back on stage for the acoustic guitar on Satisfaction. I'd want to, this time, showcase my skills with a proper little set. That would also showcase The Stones in an even better light I'd reckon.

But - if I was still needing the moolah - bring it on, on the Stones terms!

....but, that would be me, if I were Taylor!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 28, 2015 09:52

I don't know that MT would want to push a negotiation. He left the group of his own accord to pursue other avenues and now he's a welcome guest. It's nice.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 28, 2015 10:54

bitusa2012
I'd want to, this time, showcase my skills with a proper little set.

It didn't work during the 69-74 era (MT was permanently kept to a "sideman" position all this time) why should Mick & Keef say "yes" now?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1256
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home