Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards, the piano player
Date: January 20, 2015 14:41

The 1234-thread made me re-visit the New Barbarians/Baby/First Barbarians-stuff. Keith did some nice piano/keyboard playing back then, as he also has done on many Stones tracks.

Post your favourites.

Re: Keith Richards, the piano player
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 20, 2015 14:51

Nice. Love Act Together. Check out Longview Farm session for more Keith on piano.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 20, 2015 14:52

yeah, and Rembrandt was a nice football player....

Just kidding.
Heartfelt as it is, I think Keith himself is well aware of his limitations
as a piano player. I like it, but it also makes me appreciate Chuck Leavell.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Re:Keith Richards, the piano player
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 20, 2015 15:46

marcovandereijk
. ...I like it, but it also makes me appreciate Chuck Leavell.

Ohhhhh! Bite your tongue! eye popping smiley

Re: Re:Keith Richards, the piano player
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 20, 2015 18:32

I love the stuff on the Toronto tapes ( some stu and some Keef)

Re: Re:Keith Richards, the piano player
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 20, 2015 19:05

I think that if Keith played a solo gig accompanying himself only with a piano, no one would complain that he is not a competent player (or even notice it).

In fact I consider him quite good!

C

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: January 20, 2015 20:05

I really enjoy keiths piano playing. From the Toronto sessions to the New Barbarians & Longview Farm. Apartment # 9 is beautiful. I saw him play a bit of piano on HTW in Miami during Voodo Lounge & got the chance to tell him that when I ran into him in CT a short while later. You say you Marriend an Angel is great as did the Nearness of You on the Basquiat soundtrack. I would love to hear him play piano on one of his songs during his his 3 song stones set. The man has got soul.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 20, 2015 20:37

Can't say that Keith's piano playing stands out from a players perspective but I remember being slightly amazed that he could play as well as he does when I saw him riffing on one in an Exile era film. He was playing some boogie woogie type blues riff and his left hand work was pretty good.

I think in general the piano bring out the traditional country side of Keith, possibly from the hours he spent jamming with Gram Parsons.

peace

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 20, 2015 21:29

In Rolling Stone Magazine's "Random Notes" was a bit on Keith acting in a movie after the Tattoo You tour. The movie must have never been released because it doesn't show up on Keith's IMDb credits. But someone on the set said that, as a time killer between shots, "Keith played lovely piano."

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 20, 2015 22:32

"Keith Richards, the piano player". Nothing wrong with it, another approach to write another great song. He has done a few!
I like JERRY LEE LEWIS, the piano player more (so is Keith I think), but he did not have the talent/ambition to write his own songs like Keith.
It's interesting Keith doing live keyboards with Ronnie and The New Barbarians (74-79). He's never done this with The Stones live.
Mick is not so shy about it (Worried About You, Faraway Eyes, Fool To Cry, Memory Motel, Out Of Tears and the one off live performance of Might As Well Get Used come to mind).
Keith only did a bit of honky tonkin' with one hand during HTW for too many long years.

Date: January 21, 2015 12:41

I like his piano playing. It is the JAM bootleg, the one with "Rainbow", "I got a Feeling", "Shakin", "Apt #9"...all those beautiful ballads, that turned me on to him on piano. It is his left hand that surprises me. The right hand, the blues licks that he has - he had Stu, Nitzsche, Nicky around day and night. What better teachers to treach you some riffs? But the left hand - that takes practice, dedication and time!
The song 'Act Together' makes me smile because it features one of the first progression that one will do on a piano early on, when trying to write something.

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: January 21, 2015 13:55

Given the amount of years he's been playing and the players he's been around it shouldn't be surprising that he would at the very least be competent at playing piano.

Date: January 21, 2015 14:08

Keith is doing the top parts on the choruses and some other places here. Mick does the rest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-21 14:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: January 22, 2015 13:05

found this on internet, but cant put it on right

[www.latimes.com]

Date: January 22, 2015 13:06

latcho
found this on internet, but cant put it on right

[www.latimes.com]

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 24, 2015 23:16

I always liked the scene from CS Blues where Keith starts playing some pretty cool boogie-woogie on a piano------

also 'Just Wanna See his Face" has Keith playing some pretty nifty keyboards ( if in fact it is him and not Bobby Whitlock)

Date: January 27, 2015 19:59

A little off topic but I recall George Harrisons son saying he remembers Dylan playing piano for hours. Would like to hear that.

Date: January 27, 2015 20:16

chrism13
A little off topic but I recall George Harrisons son saying he remembers Dylan playing piano for hours. Would like to hear that.

Go to one of his concerts. I hear he isn't playing guitar anymore and performs the whole show on piano. peace

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 28, 2015 00:49

Keith and Chuck Leavell should swap instruments with each other, for a whole tour.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 28, 2015 00:59

LieB
Keith and Chuck Leavell should swap instruments with each other, for a whole tour.

I had seven kinds of snark ready to run with this bad boy, but in the interest of diplomacy I'll simply say eye popping smiley and grinning smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 28, 2015 04:55

I like the Ed Sullivan show clip of Ruby Tuesday.

Date: January 28, 2015 15:09

Good point Naturalust.

i have heard/seen Dylan play on stage.

but would like to hear something more in the line of Keith's unreleased piano demos.

How about keith & dylan on dueling pianos.

But seriously, I would think the piano would be a great addition/alternative to one of Keiths 3 song Stones set. It might be easier on his fingers as he gets older. I really enjoy his piano playing.

I did get the chance to ask Chuck Berry to play piano a Rock & Roll Hall fame party at the Waldorf. He played a duet with Phil Specter.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 28, 2015 19:03

Naturalust
chrism13

Go to one of his concerts. I hear he isn't playing guitar anymore and performs the whole show on piano. peace

Dylan is playing lots of piano (a real one, NL, unlike certain Rolling Stones keyboardists), and unlike his electric guitar playing, you can hear him clearly in the mix. I was quite surprised at how good he's gotten.

Date: January 28, 2015 20:28

71Tele
Naturalust
chrism13

Dylan is playing lots of piano (a real one, NL, unlike certain Rolling Stones keyboardists), and unlike his electric guitar playing, you can hear him clearly in the mix. I was quite surprised at how good he's gotten.

He'll make big news again then and piss off some of his fans again when he decides to go electric...just when you think you've got the guy figured out...winking smiley

[www.google.com]

peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home