Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Sweet Little Sixteen
Posted by: René ()
Date: January 19, 2015 10:17

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Sweet Little Sixteen
(Chuck Berry)

Will Rogers Memorial Center, Fort Worth, Texas, US, July 18, 1978

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Ian Stewart - piano
Ian McLagan - keyboards

They're really rocking in Boston, Pittsburgh, PA
Deep in the heart of Texas and round the Frisco Bay
All over St. Louis and down in New Orleans
All the girls they want to dance with sweet little sixteen

Sweet little sixteen, she's just got to have
About half a million framed autographs
Her wallet filled with pictures, she gets them one by one
Becomes so excited, watch her, look at her run, boy

Oh Mommy, Mommy, I beg of you
It's such a sight to see somebody steal the show
Oh Mommy, Mommy, I beg of you
Whisper to Daddy it's all right with you

'Cause they'll be rockin' in Boston, Philadelphia, PA
All the girls they want to dance with sweet little sixteen, alright

Sweet little sixteen, she's got the grown-up blues
Tight dresses and Tampax, she's sporting high-heel shoes
Oh but tomorrow morning she'll have to change her trend
And be sweet sixteen and back in class again

They'll be rocking in Boston, Pittsburgh, PA
All the girls they want to dance with sweet little sixteen

Produced by The Rolling Stones

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Some Girls Live In Texas ‘78” CD
(Eagle Vision ERDVCD065GV) UK, November 18, 2011

Re: Track Talk: Sweet Little Sixteen
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 19, 2015 10:47

I didn't expect this track to come, but a nice surprise!

I have always taken the decision to include Berry numbers to their set list in 1978 as a some kind of signal to punk direction of the very idea what rock and roll initially and originally and really is if people really are going back to essentials, as many punk acts thought they were doing. But at the same time it was also a sign that the Stones themselves were doing some introspection and discovered that the things they once started with were surprisingly cool again. It was just a couple of years earlier when Jagger had said that Berry tunes doesn't sound apt any longer. The Stones dropped doing them in 1973 if memory serves. For always current Jagger, sensing the trends in the air, that seemingly was too retro thing, old-fashionable in mid-70's. But in 1978 it was all different again. The fact that they started their shows with a Berry number is a strong artistic statement.

The version in LIVE IN TEXAS of "Sweet Little Sixteen" is just perfect; the musicianship, attitude ... even Jagger is on fire... just perfect. Updating the lyrics a bit grinning smiley just emphasizes the point they are making of even Berry being 'relevant' again. I don't think Berry songs could be covered much or any better, or what do you people think?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-19 11:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 19, 2015 10:50

Probably i'm partial because 16 is one of my CB favs, but this song is the best Stones cover, period. CW absolutely shines.

C

Date: January 19, 2015 10:57

Perfection! It rolls, swings and rocks the way the Stones should - and then some thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2015 11:07

Clarence Garlow - Route 90 - Recorded Lake Charles, Louisiana 1954

Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen - Recorded Chicago, Illinois 1957

The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA - Recorded Capital Studios, Hollywood 1963

ROCKMAN

Date: January 19, 2015 11:12

Thanks Rockman! Berry also had his antenna's out... Fantastic track that by Garlow (this was news to me).

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2015 11:13

Pleasure Doxa ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 19, 2015 12:05

Chuck Berry was never far away from the setlists, I guess. As a mather of fact, I think,
but in 1978 he was more present than any other tour. Not only because they played two
covers of his, but also because they had their own Berryesque songs like Star Star and
Respectable to add.

I like the hypothesis that they were moving back to the essentials at the time. Just like
they played 20 Flight Rock, Going to a Go-go and Chantilly Lace during the next tour.
More complex songs like Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil had to make way for
the rock 'n roll.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 19, 2015 12:10

eye popping smiley This song is not in my collection....It's very good with Hep Stars...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: January 19, 2015 12:17

This track is one of the reasons that Live in Texas is my favorite Stones concert film. I think it's also quite possibly the peak of the Watts/Wyman duo.

Date: January 19, 2015 12:39

Come On
eye popping smiley This song is not in my collection....It's very good with Hep Stars...

That calls for an explanation!

Date: January 19, 2015 12:56

marcovandereijk
Chuck Berry was never far away from the setlists, I guess. As a mather of fact, I think,
but in 1978 he was more present than any other tour. Not only because they played two
covers of his, but also because they had their own Berryesque songs like Star Star and
Respectable to add.

I like the hypothesis that they were moving back to the essentials at the time. Just like
they played 20 Flight Rock, Going to a Go-go and Chantilly Lace during the next tour.
More complex songs like Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil had to make way for
the rock 'n roll.

Yeah, Berry was never been far from their set lists. Even during 1973-76 period they had their own original 'Berry' song to do. "Star Star", as it was then called, had a place for Keith to do his beloved Berry licks, while Jagger could sing something fitting for his mouth and theatrics at the time.

But things surely were different in 1978. Off went all long rock anthems, their 'golden era' highlights, such as "Rambler", "Can't Always Get", "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy" to be replaced by this simpler, sweet and short 'Berryesque' material (that rocked like hell) like you noted.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-19 12:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 19, 2015 15:18

Now I have heard this one:

Very nice...and look at Keith..a real rock-star ...thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 19, 2015 15:20

DandelionPowderman
Perfection! It rolls, swings and rocks the way the Stones should - and then some thumbs up

hot smileysmileys with beer
jeroen

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: January 19, 2015 16:28

Thanks for the thread.
Both visdeos are identical, the 1st being in better audio quality.

Very good rythm; but the second part of the solo - done by Ronnie - is such elementary!!

Date: January 19, 2015 16:42

maremma
Thanks for the thread.
Both visdeos are identical, the 1st being in better audio quality.

Very good rythm; but the second part of the solo - done by Ronnie - is such elementary!!

Like it should be! thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 19, 2015 16:49

Fantastic track. And after 30 years I still can't get that intro right.

Mathijs

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 19, 2015 16:58

Always it has been a special feature of the boys to make more out of a Berry track. As some Dylans are better if they are covered, the Berrys are really shining if they are played by the Stones.

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: January 19, 2015 17:17

As others have said the '78 performances were on fire- a real highlight on the Gorgeous Girls boot.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 19, 2015 18:38

An all time favorite...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 19, 2015 19:08

A good back to our roots display from the Stones. Agree with Doxa on why we saw this in 1978.

Excellent post by Rockman showing the multiple uses of this structure and melody. Almost surprised there weren't lawsuits involved.

peace

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 19, 2015 20:51

Have the Stones ever cocked up a Chuck Berry song? Could the Stones ever cock up a Chuck Berry song? There is only one answer and if you don't know it you don't deserve to be on this board.

Chuck is part of the Stones' DNA, ingrained in the very fabric of their being. If ever there was a group to carry the flaming torch of the true father of rock'n'roll, the author of so many great songs that created the beat and rhythm that rocked the world at the beginning of modern pop music then it was our boys.

Just listen to that rhythm section roll. It might just be a 12-bar standard but there aren't many groups that can really capture that primal essence that makes a song swing as much as this. Take a bow Charlie and Bill - you guys are the fire stokers so perfectly in tune with engine driver Keith that keeps this train effortlessly whistling down the track to glory.

With piano/keyboard players as red hot as the two Ians how could you possibly fail? And doesn't Mick just know this. You can hear the joy in his voice, the hootin' and hollerin' and playfulness of immediately being transported back to sweaty clubs in Ealing and Richmond and singing to the girls in tight dresses in the front row.

Keith of course is in his absolute element, peeling off those licks that just make you want to shake, shimmy and dance all night. When he plays that solo you could almost feel the heavens opening, God appearing and saying 'that's good, I like that!'

And more than anything doesn't hearing this make you want the Stones to make another classic album of no nonsense primal, driving rock'n'roll. Mick, Keith - if you're reading this do it for us one more time. Amen.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 19, 2015 20:57

So Dagger, I'm guessing you like the tune? grinning smiley

peace

Date: January 19, 2015 21:16

Naturalust
So Dagger, I'm guessing you like the tune? grinning smiley

peace

Well Naturalast, it sure does get my toes a-tappin'.

Date: January 19, 2015 21:19

Rockman
Clarence Garlow - Route 90 - Recorded Lake Charles, Louisiana 1954

Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen - Recorded Chicago, Illinois 1957

The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA - Recorded Capital Studios, Hollywood 1963

And it's knowledge like this why this damn board is so great. We salute you Sir Rockman. smileys with beer

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 19, 2015 21:23

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: January 20, 2015 01:45

Doxa
I didn't expect this track to come, but a nice surprise!

I have always taken the decision to include Berry numbers to their set list in 1978 as a some kind of signal to punk direction of the very idea what rock and roll initially and originally and really is if people really are going back to essentials, as many punk acts thought they were doing. But at the same time it was also a sign that the Stones themselves were doing some introspection and discovered that the things they once started with were surprisingly cool again. It was just a couple of years earlier when Jagger had said that Berry tunes doesn't sound apt any longer. The Stones dropped doing them in 1973 if memory serves. For always current Jagger, sensing the trends in the air, that seemingly was too retro thing, old-fashionable in mid-70's. But in 1978 it was all different again. The fact that they started their shows with a Berry number is a strong artistic statement.

The version in LIVE IN TEXAS of "Sweet Little Sixteen" is just perfect; the musicianship, attitude ... even Jagger is on fire... just perfect. Updating the lyrics a bit grinning smiley just emphasizes the point they are making of even Berry being 'relevant' again. I don't think Berry songs could be covered much or any better, or what do you people think?

- Doxa

The Rolling Stones are the World's Greatest Chuck Berry Cover Band. They play Chuck Berry better than Chuck Berry plays Chuck Berry. If you want to hear the true Rolling Stones, listen to Carol and Little Queenie (Ya Ya's), Around and Around (Love You Live), Let it Rock (Live in TX), Bye Bye Johnny (Ladies and Gentlemen) and many others. They are at their best when playing Mr Berry, the King of Rock & Roll. Apologies to all the Elvis fans out there. Chuck is the King.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 01:54 by 1969Fan.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 20, 2015 02:25

Delirious fun!!

Drew

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 20, 2015 04:05

Wait, I thought it was "lipstick"...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 20, 2015 09:42

Title5Take1
Wait, I thought it was "lipstick"...

Not in 78 it wasn't!

drewmaster
Delirious fun!!

I know! That clip has me glowing like a fool
[kicking off shoes] Let's dance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 10:05 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home