Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Unseen Pics - RW @ Uptown Theater, Milwaukee, Jan 16 1980
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: January 16, 2015 14:55

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 02:04 by Plink.

Re: Unseen Pics - RW @ Uptown Theater, Milwaukee, Jan 16 1980
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 16, 2015 15:01

Thanks, Plink.
Why not tell the story? I forgot about it completly . .

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 16, 2015 15:01

Great shots, thanks!

Date: January 16, 2015 15:06

Great pics, and a cool story! Don't hesitate sharing more of this thumbs up

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 16, 2015 15:14

Cool pics...please post the story

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: January 16, 2015 15:31

I was at that show! 49th & Lisbon in Milwaukee. It was a great show. MAC was standout that night. We also had great seats about 10 rows center, This is an old movie theatre that probably seats about 800-1000.

Funny, the one thing I remember most was Mckenzie Phillips was hanging around the stage, she was a big deal at the time as she was in some bad sitcom. Not sure what her connection was but sadly I remember that!

This is where I first saw Gimme Shelter at a midnight movie in 1975!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 16, 2015 16:50

Way cool to see photos from that show, Plink - thanks for posting them! Do you have any more?
I've heard a recording of that show that ended in a "riot" and even from the bad-quality audience tape
it's plain that the Barbarians were really *on* that night so no wonder you loved it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-16 23:17 by with sssoul.

Date: January 16, 2015 18:31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 02:09 by Plink.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 16, 2015 19:08

Hi. Nice shots and good memories. I saw the barbarians in Chicago at the amphitheater our seats could not have been further back. At the time the
Crowd was upset due to the lack of guests that were heavily advertised. Looking
Back though the show was pretty good. I remember the riot in Milwaukee was very
Bad with fires set etc.

Seems I heard the uptown was recently renovated and the old seats and fixtures being sold. Unless I'm confused with another Milwaukee theater?

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 16, 2015 19:21

Hey Plink nice shots for a beginner lol. Bobby Keys joined Ronnie for this show also along with Mac from the New Barbarians group. I too was at both shows and have photos of both but I still haven't broke down to spend the cash on a scanner and Photoshop or I would post some too. Are you from the Milwaukee area? There are at least 3-4 members who are including me so feel free to contact me via e-mail posted here. Always nice to chat with other Stones / concert fans in the area.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: January 16, 2015 19:26

swimtothemoon
Seems I heard the uptown was recently renovated and the old seats and fixtures being sold. Unless I'm confused with another Milwaukee theater?

It is the Avalon Theatre on Milwaukee's south side that's been renovated and reopened. The Uptown closed not too long after the Barbarians make-up show and fell into disrepair after a boiler explosion and flood. It was razed in the late 90s. They had some good shows there--I saw Elvis Costello and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Uptown in the late 70s.

I was at the Barbarians "riot" show and the make-up show at the Uptown. I recall RW been well "in his cups" at the Uptown show, knocking over his music stand a couple of times. I seem to remember reading that Mackenzie Phillips was dating someone in the band/crew at the time, which explains her presence. She came onstage with a couple of other chicks and sang on the chorus to Honky Tonk Women.

Date: January 16, 2015 19:49

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 02:10 by Plink.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 16, 2015 20:03

Plink
I'm surprised that 3 other people from this board saw the Uptown show! Mighty Stork, yes, you're right about Bobby and I HANG MY HEAD IN SHAME @ the egregious oversight sad smiley I'd love to see your Uptown & Barbarians pics, as would many others, I'm sure. Can't you just walk into Best Buy in an oversized trench & get that scanner issue sorted out?grinning smiley

I'll work on that or maybe I can start one of those fund my project things I see for artists to produce their work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2404
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home