Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The 2011 Some Girls outtakes disc...with new ears....
Date: January 11, 2015 09:30

nankerphlege
Keep up blues is awesome. I have no idea why more stones fans dont love it. It is dirty rolling stones meets robert johnson.

We do, but I guess many miss Mick's original brilliant vocals...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 11, 2015 09:46

nankerphlege
Keep up blues is awesome. I have no idea why more stones fans dont love it. It is dirty rolling stones meets robert johnson.

Because of what they ignored to put on this disc. That tune the Stones do in their sleep.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 11, 2015 13:22

"Love You Too Much" is awesome.
Great guitars!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 11, 2015 13:34

Those people who DON'T consider Keep Up Blues to be one of the best songs in the last 15 years, why are you bothering? I mean, Keep Up Blues is a blo**dy MASTERPIECE!!!!!

I agree that they should've kept the original lyircs for Gangster's Maul and (Not Everybody's) Lucky In Love...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2015 16:26

GasLightStreet
nankerphlege

Because of what they ignored to put on this disc. That tune the Stones do in their sleep.

Well, they also did Satisfaction in their sleep, so maybe they're on to something?

Date: January 11, 2015 16:31

Rockman
ya gotta quit gnawing them off Rockman!

... that woulda been a good line ta aim at "Chopper" Read

ya, but it's not like he killed anyone.

Date: January 11, 2015 19:47

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
nankerphlege

Well, they also did Satisfaction in their sleep, so maybe they're on to something?

Kind of. They've been playing it in their sleep forever...

Date: January 11, 2015 20:30

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
nankerphlege

There was the time Keith woke up on stage to the sound of his own feedback...Fool To Cry was it?

Date: January 11, 2015 20:44

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
nankerphlege

There was the time Keith woke up on stage to the sound of his own feedback...Fool To Cry was it?

I recall reading that he said he recalls falling asleep during Fool To Cry. I dunno dunno dunno, ah, here we go, ahhh, if he woke up to feedback.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 11, 2015 21:04

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
nankerphlege

I recall reading that he said he recalls falling asleep during Fool To Cry. I dunno dunno dunno, ah, here we go, ahhh, if he woke up to feedback.

I never believed that story. Keith has the opportunity to really ice the cake on that song with killer wah wah licks, I think the song is great. Possibly he nodded out, they did play it a lot in 1976 when he was deep in the arms of Morpheus. Anybody know which show he was referring to? I would think it would be fairly obvious.

I agree about Keep Up Blues...the best of the rest on the Some Girls Deluxe, imo.
Have they ever played it live?

peace

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 12, 2015 04:00

Hmmm....I like the Bonus Disc, but I don't think it would stand up as it's own separate release...it is what it is, a bonus disc to Some Girls...a lot of Stones do Country and Parody...more so than what was included on the originial release...is it good? Yes.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 12, 2015 14:23

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
nankerphlege

I never believed that story. Keith has the opportunity to really ice the cake on that song with killer wah wah licks, I think the song is great. Possibly he nodded out, they did play it a lot in 1976 when he was deep in the arms of Morpheus. Anybody know which show he was referring to? (...)

peace

I remember a review by Charles Shaar Murray mentioning Keith nodding out during the (European Tour 1976) opening Show in Frankfurt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-12 14:44 by Greenblues.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 12, 2015 14:39

love this outtakes disc . i agree this could have been released as an album by itself!!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 12, 2015 14:47

I didn't need new ears for this - loved from the moment I first played it and still play it often..............I put this and most of the Exile bonus disc on one CDr and put it on shuffle........very worth it.

Date: January 13, 2015 04:04

EddieByword
I didn't need new ears for this - loved from the moment I first played it and still play it often..............I put this and most of the Exile bonus disc on one CDr and put it on shuffle........very worth it.

thumbs up

Date: January 13, 2015 11:26

It's just as great as it was 4 years ago, when it came out.

A weird release, imo, with a country and rockabilly-heavy feel to it. It tells a lot about the wonderful Pathe Marconi-sessions which spanned just about everything musically thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:35

I thought the extra CD to Some Girls were really boring and has not listened to it since it came out ... can it really all of a sudden have become interesting?

2 1 2 0

Date: January 13, 2015 11:48

Come On
I thought the extra CD to Some Girls were really boring and has not listened to it since it came out ... can it really all of a sudden have become interesting?

You sure you're not mistaking it for the Exile Deluxe? grinning smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 13, 2015 13:51

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Yeah quite, the Exile outtake-CD is much better with that brilliant 'Following the river'-track...winking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: January 13, 2015 14:36

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Yeah quite, the Exile outtake-CD is much better with that brilliant 'Following the river'-track...winking smiley

LOL! grinning smiley

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: January 13, 2015 16:22

i liked the Some Girls outtakes disc from my first listening onwards a lot; overall for me it is even better than the Exile one. In my mind the quality of the songs would have made it possible to stand on their own as a proper album, but given the circumstances you can´t sell songs from the late seventies as your "new" album 2011, almost 40 years later.

My absolute favourite: I love you too much! Great rocker!

Date: January 13, 2015 17:00

wandering spirit
i liked the Some Girls outtakes disc from my first listening onwards a lot; overall for me it is even better than the Exile one. In my mind the quality of the songs would have made it possible to stand on their own as a proper album, but given the circumstances you can´t sell songs from the late seventies as your "new" album 2011, almost 40 years later.

My absolute favourite: I love you too much! Great rocker!

I did prefer Plundered My Soul to everything else on the Some Girls Deluxe tracks. Beyond that though, I thought SGD was excellent.

Date: January 13, 2015 17:18

I prefer We Had It All to most of the original Exile smiling smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 13, 2015 18:07

Everything's Turning To Gold would have made a great opener for Some Girls Deluxe.

The take of We Had It All differs from the bootlegversion which was around for ages and it has been discused here before that the bootlegversion is even a better vocal take by Keith.

Date: January 13, 2015 23:35

RipThisBone
Everything's Turning To Gold would have made a great opener for Some Girls Deluxe.

The take of We Had It All differs from the bootlegversion which was around for ages and it has been discused here before that the bootlegversion is even a better vocal take by Keith.

Some parts are better, and some parts are poorer, imo.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 13, 2015 23:57

RipThisBone

Opener or not, at least it should have been included. If their aim was to avoid the inclusion of already released material, they could have used a different mix/longer version, like they did with So Young (which is different to the Love Is Strong b-side version). Everything Is Turning To Gold is simply belonging to the Some Girls canon and as such, the SG bonus disc would have been a perfect home for this song, rescuing it from the fate of being buried on out of print compilations (and I don't count shitty mp3 download availability as being "in print").

Same goes for Exile On Main Street Blues for the Exile bonus disc, but that's a different story.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 14, 2015 08:39

A complete rip-off...except for every single song. I love it.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 14, 2015 14:54

"Keep up blues" is a killer song, the old dirty Stones sound..................
"Everything is turning" should have been included, as well as "think i'm going mad"
"You win again" is much better with Keith's vocals around, in front or backing Jagger's

Date: January 14, 2015 15:02

KeithNacho
"Keep up blues" is a killer song, the old dirty Stones sound..................
"Everything is turning" should have been included, as well as "think i'm going mad"
"You win again" is much better with Keith's vocals around, in front or backing Jagger's

Not better, but indeed funnier grinning smiley

Date: January 14, 2015 17:40

alimente
RipThisBone

Opener or not, at least it should have been included. If their aim was to avoid the inclusion of already released material, they could have used a different mix/longer version, like they did with So Young (which is different to the Love Is Strong b-side version). Everything Is Turning To Gold is simply belonging to the Some Girls canon and as such, the SG bonus disc would have been a perfect home for this song, rescuing it from the fate of being buried on out of print compilations (and I don't count shitty mp3 download availability as being "in print").

There is the fact that EITTG had been released on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES and RARITIES already, plus its original status as the B-side to Shattered. However, it seems that part of your point is that it's from the SG sessions, unlike some of the tracks on the SGD...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home