Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: What would be your wishes for a new stones album?
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 5, 2015 19:00

DandelionPowderman
1 - Make a r&b/blues/soul-album with mainly original material
2 - Let Ronnie in on the writing process
3 - Keep the number of session musicians to a minimum
4 - Use time: to write, to record and to mix the album
5 - Make it a 10 song album. If you get any good leftovers, use them on the next one

1. Agree, but the bluespart must be transformed - From ER's Back in the hole and on the traditional blues-tracks have been the weakest spots.
2. Not sure that's a good idea.
3. Depends on the material
4. Agree
5. Agree

And I would add: Do some experiments,

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 5, 2015 20:19

Whatever happens, they should get a producer who challenges them. Somebody like John Philip Shenale who will get more texture in the sound.

Here's an idea: an album of covers. As they get older, they play country better. I'd like to hear Keith play more acoustic guitar.

Date: January 5, 2015 20:44

GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
1 - Make a r&b/blues/soul-album with mainly original material
2 - Let Ronnie in on the writing process
3 - Keep the number of session musicians to a minimum
4 - Use time: to write, to record and to mix the album
5 - Make it a 10 song album. If you get any good leftovers, use them on the next one

1. Agree, but the bluespart must be transformed - From ER's Back in the hole and on the traditional blues-tracks have been the weakest spots.
2. Not sure that's a good idea.
3. Depends on the material
4. Agree
5. Agree

And I would add: Do some experiments,

He he, people like their blues to be different. DOWN In The Hole is one of my favourites. So is Break The Spell.

Out of the box, breaking with the formula. I like that.

But going back to their roots, making a good r&b album seems like a good idea.

Date: January 5, 2015 20:46

stanlove
rbk
10-11 songs rehearsed and then recorded live with some overdubs later. ProTools and overt studio technology squeezed the life and passion out of the Stones as BTB and ABB ably demonstrate.

I would ask Mick and Keith to come to rehearsals with a half dozen songs each and their choice of a cover each. I would have them learn those songs as though they were going to tour them. Then I'd record them playing the songs as the Stones are at their best playing live.

I would then eliminate 3-4 songs and think in terms of a solid 45 minute, two sided LP experience. Imagine Voodoo Lounge this way. Cut the dreck - the songs are there.

There's a new interview with Joe Perry who described being shocked that fans were bringing LPs (even the new Aerosmith)for him to sign on his recent book tour. It got him thinking: vinyl and downloads only should Aerosmith ever make another album.

Can someone explain to me why anyone would buy vinyl in this day and age? I have never understood that but maybe I am missing something.

It's back in the record stores, even the turntables. At least in Europe.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 5, 2015 20:46

Many great artists have produced incredible masterpieces in the later part of their life. The Stones have yet to create their late masterpiece. I am hoping for that. Hopefully not in vainsmileys with beer

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 5, 2015 20:47

stanlove
rbk
10-11 songs rehearsed and then recorded live with some overdubs later. ProTools and overt studio technology squeezed the life and passion out of the Stones as BTB and ABB ably demonstrate.

I would ask Mick and Keith to come to rehearsals with a half dozen songs each and their choice of a cover each. I would have them learn those songs as though they were going to tour them. Then I'd record them playing the songs as the Stones are at their best playing live.

I would then eliminate 3-4 songs and think in terms of a solid 45 minute, two sided LP experience. Imagine Voodoo Lounge this way. Cut the dreck - the songs are there.

There's a new interview with Joe Perry who described being shocked that fans were bringing LPs (even the new Aerosmith)for him to sign on his recent book tour. It got him thinking: vinyl and downloads only should Aerosmith ever make another album.

Can someone explain to me why anyone would buy vinyl in this day and age? I have never understood that but maybe I am missing something.

Vinyl is the only music carrying medium that is increasing in market share albeit modestly. Downloads continue to be moribund and CDs have dropped off the face of the earth. Us old timers have always known vinyl sounds better and the youngsters find the process of opening the sleeve, putting the record on the turntable, preening it, dropping the needle into the groove and sitting for twenty minutes and ACTUALLY LISTENING to music engages them. Can you even imagine?

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 5, 2015 21:28

StonedRambler
I hope so much that the Stones decide again to record a new album.
I got my own vision how that album should be to be perfect (for me).grinning smiley

I would it love when the mix wouldn't be too overmixed and overmastered. For example I love the sound of Voodoo Lounge, which is modern but also natural and dynamic.
I don't like the mix of A Bigger Band too much, because it sounds a bit pushed and very harsh when you hear it loud.
The overall feeling shouldn't be too 'studio-like' and isolated, better a live-feeling with loud mixed guitars like on the last tour.

I think it would be better, when they record less but better songs than too many filler stuff. That's also what I don't like about A Bigger Bang (many great songs but also boring stuff like 'Look What The Cat Dragged In' or 'Infamy'.
Of course a double LP like Exile would be great too, but only with good and varied songs.
I would love to have 2-3 new hits that could become warhorses, of course with brilliant riffs from Keith smileys with beer
Then of course blues numbers (ABB had only Back of my Hand..) - and at least one with Mick Taylor playing the lead guitar.
(Bill Wyman would also be cool winking smiley)
One ballad and one country song like Dead Flowers
and of course:
1-2 Keith Songs smoking smiley

What would be your wishes?

New songs

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 5, 2015 21:30

rbk
stanlove
rbk

Vinyl is the only music carrying medium that is increasing in market share albeit modestly. Downloads continue to be moribund and CDs have dropped off the face of the earth. Us old timers have always known vinyl sounds better and the youngsters find the process of opening the sleeve, putting the record on the turntable, preening it, dropping the needle into the groove and sitting for twenty minutes and ACTUALLY LISTENING to music engages them. Can you even imagine?

Lots of older folks like vinyl because it connects them with their youth. But the main reason vinyl is so popular is because the analog nature of the reproduced music is so much warmer and better sounding than most digital sources. It's hard to describe other than the vinyl sound tends to work on emotional and physical levels which are unreachable with digital.

It's really obvious when you compare an .mp3 to vinyl. Less obvious when you compare a 96Khz, 24 bit digital source to vinyl, but still noticeable to some. We're moving in the right direction with higher res digital but not there yet!

peace

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 5, 2015 21:31

No need to write a new album
[www.iorr.org]

Tatoo Two
[www.iorr.org]

1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads/The way she held me tight
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker/Stop that
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
8. Munich Hilton
9. Jah is not dead
10. High School Girl
11. Eliza Upchink/Back on the Streets Again
12. She never listen to me
13. Dancing Girls
14. It's all wrong
15. What gives you the right
16. Some of us are on our knees

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 5, 2015 21:32

No need to write a new album
[www.iorr.org]

Tatoo Two
[www.iorr.org]

1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads/The way she held me tight
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker/Stop that
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
8. Munich Hilton
9. Jah is not dead
10. High School Girl
11. Eliza Upchink/Back on the Streets Again
12. She never listen to me
13. Dancing Girls
14. It's all wrong
15. Some of us are on our knees

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 5, 2015 21:40

Tattoo II (1/2 old cuts, 1/2 new)

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 5, 2015 22:13

STICKY FINGERS DELUXE 2 CD's with extra DVD

-Original Album
-Bonus Tracks Album with some surprises ("new songs") for hardcore fans and/or
worked up outtakes from this area (1969-1972) for example new overdubs by Mick
Taylor like on Plundered My Soul and new vocals by Mick on instrumentals from this period.
-DVD with The Marquee Club 71 (Bobby Keys great sax!); Brown Sugar, Bitch and Wild Horses from Top Of The Pops 71 and LIVE versions and rehearsals from 2012-2014 with Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys:
Can't You Hear Me Knocking from Glastonbury 2013 (Great sax by Bobby again!)
Sway
Love In Vain (echoplex)
Silver Train
Slipping Away
Streets Of Love
Midnight Rambler
Brown Sugar (Roskilde)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 5, 2015 22:51

What ever they release it should be something else........I think the option from Naturalist sounds ok a country blues record for me will do

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 5, 2015 22:52

Apparantly Mick is in Mustique for all of January.
Keith may also be at his luxury island pad, not that far way.
Too much to expect a miracle however, I guess.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:00

They know what we want but they're just playin' so hard ta get ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:10

Somewhere I read a Interview where Mick said that they want record new stuff in the studio, but he don't thinks it will be a complete album.

Anyway I would wish that they put in more brass parts in their newer song.
It's such a shame that Bobby isn't longer with us, but they could bring in Tim and Karl..

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:55

Can someone explain to me why anyone would buy vinyl in this day and age? I have never understood that but maybe I am missing something.[/quote]

I don't really get it either. It's better to try and improve CD sound with things like SACD and BluRay, rather then dick around with an effete thing like vinyl. I grew up with vinyl and the damn record only sounded good the first couple spins, then it invariably got crackly, maybe it skipped. It was impossible to keep in good condition, even with those brushes or whatever they were you put liquid on. I got to where I'd record the first play onto a cassette so I'd always have a good recording.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:58

24FPS

I don't really get it either. It's better to try and improve CD sound with things like SACD and BluRay, rather then dick around with an effete thing like vinyl. I grew up with vinyl and the damn record only sounded good the first couple spins, then it invariably got crackly, maybe it skipped. It was impossible to keep in good condition, even with those brushes or whatever they were you put liquid on. I got to where I'd record the first play onto a cassette so I'd always have a good recording.[/quote]

By that logic there's no reason to go to a Stones concert, because they sound old and crackly live.

Live a little baby!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2015 01:28

treaclefingers
24FPS

I don't really get it either. It's better to try and improve CD sound with things like SACD and BluRay, rather then dick around with an effete thing like vinyl. I grew up with vinyl and the damn record only sounded good the first couple spins, then it invariably got crackly, maybe it skipped. It was impossible to keep in good condition, even with those brushes or whatever they were you put liquid on. I got to where I'd record the first play onto a cassette so I'd always have a good recording.

By that logic there's no reason to go to a Stones concert, because they sound old and crackly live.

Live a little baby!

Well the vinyl double record sleeves were good for more than reading and storing the records... but I can't quite remember what for. grinning smiley

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 01:31 by Naturalust.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:50

I would also Love to see Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor involved.

Start new with new producers. Give Don Was the ax.

It needs to be a fun album. Chuck Berry riffs. I want a song with Charlie out front on the intro a sort of "slave" or "memo from turner" vibe.

Let Charlie be Charlie..

It's time to shave the beard.....lets see what another keyboard player brings to the table.

Mick....you need to stop shouting...I believe you can still pull off another jig saw puzzel.

Keith...To much telecaster spoils the soup.

Ronnie.....I still can't figure out what you do around here. Your like that guy in office that has no job description......OK I'm only kidding....You and Keith really need to work together and "Weave" some of that old magic

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: January 6, 2015 03:54

Send them back to Nellcote. If not possible, put them in a room with no more than 3 or 4 mics, record them live and pls...no digital. Bring back the realness and warmth of analog.give them no more than 6 weeks...push push push!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 6, 2015 05:18

Just MAKE a record...that's MY simple wish!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2015 23:00

stanlove

Koen
Because it sounds good.

Perhaps what stanlove meant but didn't say was why would anyone bother buying vinyl if albums are recorded all digital? Because... then it's just a CD put on vinyl. It doesn't have the analog value of analog master 2" tape mastered to (various size) tape for vinyl... and CD, which does sound good.

Digital is still digital on vinyl - it just sounds like a noisy CD.

Date: January 6, 2015 23:22

GasLightStreet
stanlove

Koen
Because it sounds good.

Perhaps what stanlove meant but didn't say was why would anyone bother buying vinyl if albums are recorded all digital? Because... then it's just a CD put on vinyl. It doesn't have the analog value of analog master 2" tape mastered to (various size) tape for vinyl... and CD, which does sound good.

Digital is still digital on vinyl - it just sounds like a noisy CD.

I just got off the phone with stanlove...that's not what he meant, nice try.

Date: January 7, 2015 01:30

treaclefingers
24FPS

Live a little baby![/quote]

But they do sound old and crackly, and there is no reason to go to a Stones concert now.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 7, 2015 01:37

stanlove

Koen
Because it sounds good.

What Koen said.

Among other things, it's warmer.

Plus the physical experience of it - it's more than pushing a button. And the vinyl disk and the cover and sleeve are wonderful, as physical objects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-07 01:37 by swiss.

Date: January 7, 2015 02:30

24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS

Live a little baby!

But they do sound old and crackly, and there is no reason to go to a Stones concert now.[/quote]

There is only one person sounding old and crackly at the moment...I'm going to let you guess who!

Date: January 7, 2015 02:48

treaclefingers
24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS

Live a little baby!

But they do sound old and crackly, and there is no reason to go to a Stones concert now.

There is only one person sounding old and crackly at the moment...I'm going to let you guess who![/quote]

OMG! LOL! Like, why would I see a bunch of old guys who play songs from 50 years ago! ROLF! (Young enough for you?)

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:06

<<Somewhere I read a Interview where Mick said that they want record new stuff inthe studio, but he don't thinks it will be a complete album.>>

I haven't read the interview you're referring to, but sounds like he's hinting at the bonus disc of the eventual Sticky Fingers deluxe reissue, which would satisfy the wishes of many in this thread who want some level of contribution from Taylor and Wyman.

Posted by: OpenGspot ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:15

This will probably sound a bit mad, but I'd like to see them finish off their career with the way they started it - doing covers. This would bring the band full circle and would, I think, be terrific. I'd really like to hear is the Stones taking on some of the material produced by some of my favorite acts of the past 50 years and put the music into their own style and growl. Specifically, I'd enjoy hearing them cover some Kings of Leon material (Holy Roller Novocaine), Ramones (Sheena is a Punk Rocker), Springsteen (Pink Cadillac), The Lyres (Help You Ann), Lucinda Williams (Righteously), The Strypes (Blue Collar Jane), R.E.M. (Electrolite), Echo and the Bunnymen (Lips like Sugar), Ray Charles (You Be My Baby), Ryan Adams (Firecracker), U2 (Vertigo), Green day (anything!), Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues), Willie Nelson (Whiskey River) - the list is long, admittedly eclectic, eccentric and probably endless. I know it'll never happen - but would be fun to hear them put a little extra punch and life into songs I already enjoy.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home