Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ron wood slide on this .
Posted by: Kiwiclapton ()
Date: January 4, 2015 08:19

Hey guys.

Can anyone recommend Ronnies record " Slide On This" it's not up for digital download , so I might see if I can get it on Cd

Re: Ron wood slide on this .
Posted by: three16 ()
Date: January 4, 2015 08:39

Yes, it's an excellent recording with good songwriting and spirit.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 4, 2015 09:12

It's not bad but not as good as some of his earlier works. A little funky with some good slide guitar and his voice is still in decent shape. Listen before you buy:

"Somebody Else Might"
[www.youtube.com]

"Testify" (George Clinton, Deron Taylor)
[www.youtube.com]

"Ain't Rock and Roll"
[www.youtube.com]

"Josephine"
[www.youtube.com]

"Knock Yer Teeth Out" (Wood, Fowler, Julian Lloyd)
n/a
"Ragtime Annie" (Trad.)
n/a
"Must Be Love" (Jerry Williams)
[www.youtube.com]
"Fear for Your Future"
[www.youtube.com]
"Show Me" (Williams)
[www.youtube.com]
"Always Wanted More"
[www.youtube.com]
"Thinkin'"
[www.youtube.com]
"Like It"
n/a
"Breathe on Me" (Wood)
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 4, 2015 10:45

Slide on this Live is much better. All the songs from Slide on This he does live from that tour are far superior in my opinion. Josephine should have been a Stones single! Great song and great live. Testify is an amazing cover and done better than the original in my opinion, and the live version is tops. All in all a good studio album albeit a bit overproduced and slick. The live versions for me make them amazing songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-04 10:55 by whitem8.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 4, 2015 10:49

It's my favorite Ronnie Wood album.
A bit slick indeed, but great songs and great performances.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 4, 2015 13:26

I recommand that record.It is the more commercial record than Ron has made but it still rocks and roll. Bernard Fowler does a great job on it too.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: January 4, 2015 14:03

Excellent album by Ron Wood / I frequently play.
The original CD release was a superb foldout digipak.

smoking smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 4, 2015 15:58

You are really asking if to buy a Ronnie Wood solo album? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 4, 2015 16:34

A very good album. I've always said, Ronnie's had the best solo albums compared to all the other Stones, including former and current Stones' members.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 4, 2015 18:52

whitem8
Josephine should have been a Stones single! .

thumbs up +1

peace

Date: January 4, 2015 20:32

Brilliant album thumbs up

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: January 4, 2015 20:47

When this album came out (around the same time of Keith's second solo album). I played it to death in my car's cassette deck. It was an interesting time because for me Steel Wheels was SUCH a disappointment. Slide on This was a return to form for me. Well-produced but still good sloppy fun.

As a side note, I saw Woody on the tour for this album in Dallas and I was on the front row. He tossed me a guitar pick from the stage and was nice enough to come over and make sure I caught it. I did and he gave me a quick handshake.

You've reminded me that I need to go back and give this gem a listen.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: January 4, 2015 20:51

TooTough

thumbs up Every Ronnie Wood solo album is a must buy for everybody on IORR.
Extra bonus: Mick, Keith, Charlie, Mick Taylor all contributed through the years and also Bernard Fowler, Daryll Jones, Ian MacLaghan, Bobby Keys and many other great ones.

My Top 5:
1. I FEEL LIKE PLAYIN'
2. GIMME SOME NECK
3. I GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO
4. SLIDE ON THIS
5. NOW LOOK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-04 20:56 by OutOfTime.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 4, 2015 22:34

I didn't get the studio album, but picked up Slide on this Live (Plugged in and Standing***) when it came out, and I remember thinking, "Why can't Ronnie play like this now with the Stones?" I seem to recall a pretty darn respectable instrumental version of Amazing Grace on it as well. Well worth a listen.

*** As opposed to Rod Stewart's Unplugged and Seated album which was a big hit featuring Ronnie on guitar. Again, after seeing/hearing that collaboration I had similar thoughts about why he seemed so "free" playing with these other people, but sort of constrained within the Stones at the time. Maybe just me, but I remember a quote from Ronnie during Steel Wheels where he was talking about how he turned up the volume on his amp, and he got all kinds of grief for it, and his comment about that was "My, how times have changed." Turn it up Ronnie!!! You sound better loud.

Posted by: bryanoakville ()
Date: January 4, 2015 23:13

It's a good one. Slide On Live's good too (earlier note) but different (it's live with Fowler taking lead cox on the Faces stuff). I seem to recall that Dylan's Seven Days is on it as well which is great - really great.
There's also a very disappointing 'hits's album. Conexion. Has anyone managed to build their own best of Ronnie ? Would be interested to hear what's on it. CD length. Agree with OutOfTime re: top 5 and that IORR folks likely will find each of his albums worthwhile (although not for beginners and the one before Feel Like Playing sorta suck). My opinion.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 5, 2015 00:10

OutOfTime
TooTough

thumbs up Every Ronnie Wood solo album is a must buy for everybody on IORR.
Extra bonus: Mick, Keith, Charlie, Mick Taylor all contributed through the years and also Bernard Fowler, Daryll Jones, Ian MacLaghan, Bobby Keys and many other great ones.

My Top 5:
1. I FEEL LIKE PLAYIN'
2. GIMME SOME NECK
3. I GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO
4. SLIDE ON THIS
5. NOW LOOK

Great list Out Of Time!
Damn, I forgot about GIMME SOME NECK almost, the vinyl album from 1979. Aged 15 I bought it (thanks mom and dad I guess) the week/month it was released. Great cover and innersleeve. Drawnings by Ronnie himself. Those were the days!
1,2,3,4 from 1981 is also interesting, including Red Eyes, an early instrumental version of When You're Gone (Some Girls DeLUXE CD 2) with Mick and Charlie.
Not For Beginners was thumbs downthumbs downsmileys with beer

Posted by: Kiwiclapton ()
Date: January 14, 2015 09:17

Thanks heaps for all your replies and guidance . Cheers

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 14, 2015 14:44

LeonidP
A very good album. I've always said, Ronnie's had the best solo albums compared to all the other Stones, including former and current Stones' members.

Agree 100%
Last Ronnie's album is also very very nice one

Date: January 14, 2015 14:46

bryanoakville
It's a good one. Slide On Live's good too (earlier note) but different (it's live with Fowler taking lead cox on the Faces stuff). I seem to recall that Dylan's Seven Days is on it as well which is great - really great.
There's also a very disappointing 'hits's album. Conexion. Has anyone managed to build their own best of Ronnie ? Would be interested to hear what's on it. CD length. Agree with OutOfTime re: top 5 and that IORR folks likely will find each of his albums worthwhile (although not for beginners and the one before Feel Like Playing sorta suck). My opinion.

There's also a double live album from the same era, Live And Eclectic, which is just as good as Slide On This Live, imo.

Date: January 14, 2015 14:55

But you do not have seven days on it

Date: January 14, 2015 14:59

So what? You got Black Limousine, Little Red Rooster and I'm Losing You. That should make up for it?

I'd say get 'em both!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 14, 2015 15:06

Great album, really played it to death. Together with Wandering Spirit the best thing the Stones have released since 1990.

Mathijs

Date: January 14, 2015 15:10

I have both:Live and Eclectic and Slide on Live
This pair blow away Live Licks etc........................

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 14, 2015 16:02

I love "Must Be Love", great albums and great Bernard !

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 14, 2015 18:12

Not a Def Leppard fan, but the singer does a great job on "Always Wanted More".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 14, 2015 18:25

Mathijs
Great album, really played it to death. Together with Wandering Spirit the best thing the Stones have released since 1990.

Mathijs

thumbs up

now, digging deep, what would you put in the number 3 spot?

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 14, 2015 19:26

I can't get past most of the production. Somebody Else Might sounds like a joke.

There are some great tracks on it for sure. Josephine's opening riff even sounds like a precursor to Oh No Not You Again.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 15, 2015 04:22

Breathe on me alone is worth it. It's killer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home