Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Virgin listening party, June, 29th, in London
Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: June 29, 2005 11:30

Who will be there and can give us some reports about the new album?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-23 13:16 by bv.

Re: Virgin listening party, June, 29th, in London
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 29, 2005 11:44

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 29, 2005 20:22

Yeah, Oool´ Ove will report to us.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 29, 2005 21:34

i have vowed to myself not to get suckered into any hype about the new album. there's a new album coming out only to "legitimize" a new tour (now, that's worth getting excited about). But, the notion that the Stones (or anyone) still has a classic album left in them is bogus. That era is over. It's all been done.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 29, 2005 21:48

Hey T&A...
Your are a pessimist and need to talk to Tom Cruise about your unoptimistic view on life. People that say they are fans and then bash the stones without even hearing the new album are ridiculouos. Quit living in 1972.

Party on Wayne!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 29, 2005 22:25

And I thought I was negative! Even if the Stones rehash older tunes to create a new disc like they did for Tattoo You, I'll be happy. I do think we all need to be realistic. Jimmy Miller ain't producing this one and MT probably isn't going to play on it so what's the best that can happen? Something like Some Girls? That would really suck smiling smiley.

Many of us consider Undercover and YES...Dirty Work as classics.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: June 29, 2005 22:34

T&A - how can a person be so negative. That is one of the most ridiculous things I think I have read on this board. Seems like you hope it sucks or that you are a bitter Beatles fan who is jealous the Stones are making new music.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: June 29, 2005 22:39

just wait and see:-)

the stones are always good for a surprise
compare with other releases this year
the new cd will be one of the best....in my opinion

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Date: June 29, 2005 22:57

not negative at all. just realistic. not living in '72 - but ain't livin' in fantasy-land either. The era of classic albums has been over for a quarter-century. that's not a negative assessment in the least. the stones are one helluva nostalgia act - nothing more or less. i love 'em. but folks that are thinking another EOMS or SG or TY is about to be released - that ain't optimism - that's fantasy stuff. get real.

i happen to love dylan - and i think TOOM and L&T are decent albums - but to even suggest they are on a par with HW61 or BOTT would be crazy.

it's all been done and done to death in the studio. you can go back to the liner notes of an early Jeff Beck Group album - (probably paraphrasing here) - "in this age of ever changing musical styles, it's hard to come up with something original - so we haven't. enjoy." That was almost 40 years ago...

Date: June 29, 2005 23:16

T&A your comments, well I am not going to get mean here but refect such a negative/depressing attitude. Who is hoping for another Exile, I read this board every day and never saw one person write that. Yes I did hear Keith make comments about it being recorded in a similar fashion because it was at Mick's house but that is about it. Sorry but I lost a lot of respect for your views and opinions. Talk about living in the past and trying to put down people's hopes of some new good music.

Date: June 29, 2005 23:41

saying the era of classic albums has been over for 25 years ain't a negative viewpoint, mate. it's just stating a fact. it's no different than saying the era of classic bebop ended around 1959 (which it did - nobody really gets pissy or suggests that's a negative viewpoint).

i don't live in the past - I live in the present. people who think they are still living in the classic rock age are living in the fantasy world, though...

i really don't care one way or another whether you respect my point of view - you don't anything about me.

I used EOMS merely as a reference point in the era of classic rock albums...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-30 00:28 by T&A.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: June 30, 2005 00:19

Following just posted on stonesvikings by mickjaggeroo re listening party in London 29/6/05.

Newsflash 22.00 CET.
« Thread Started on Today at 10:21pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was unable to get hold of Ove, so I got info from another source due to some detective work who was present, so here it goes:

11 raw mixes out of 18 recorded tracks were played.
With raw mixes it is meant there is some additional mixing to do. It was not said if all 18 tracks would be on the album. If I heard correctly, there might be some more songs recorded.

No Chuck, Darryl on only a few numbers, bass being handled by Mick and Keith. Plenty of harmonica, slide and maracas (spelling?).
No hornsection heard at all, no backupsingers. This might change of course, but let´s hope not.

ONNYA different from the liveversion, it´s said it was not finished when they played it live. Absolutely no material from the 40 LICKS sessions. 2 ballads, one Mick, one Keith, the rest rockers except 1 funky song in the style of Dance.pt1/Miss You.
1 political song, as it seemed aimed at the Bushadministration but don´t take my word for it.

The motto, it was said for these recordingsessions, was that it was to be "A bandrecord, the four of them".
As for the albumtitle, it was said that it might be one of those circulated on the net, then it might not be, so no answer to that question really.

No Stone present, as they all seem to be in the US right now. A bandrepresentative was MC at the listening party. All participants had to sign a contract of secrecy.

I hope to get some additional info, but right now, all participants are bound by their contract, and no Ove in sight, but he would not be able to tell me more at this point, .

As for the releasedate first half of September still stands until further notice.

As always, if you like to post this elsewere, don´t forget to link to www.stonesvikings.com

I recommend you sign up, so you don´t miss out!
« Last Edit: Today at 10:50pm by Mickijaggeroo » Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mickijaggeroo!

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: June 30, 2005 00:20

posted the same as Stones40

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-30 00:20 by KeithRichards.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: June 30, 2005 00:58

Ahhh ....come on T&A.... I remember hearing about new studio work back in 1999, so I have been waiting on this one for 6 years. I can barely hold back my enthusiasm. You're right, it's not 72 anymore but they can still make great music. Let's give it a chance. Rah! Rah! Rah! LOL

Posted by: dj ()
Date: June 30, 2005 01:02

T&A - I'm not getting involved in this pissing match, but I strongly disagree with the "helluva nostalgia act" comment, for what it's worth. Go check out FF MSG again.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 30, 2005 01:11

Flo & Eddie (Turtles) really are a helluva nostalgia act.

Date: June 30, 2005 01:25

what's the diff? they mine songs almost exclusively from the classic era albums. when they do something new - "don't stop," for instance - they get a big collective yawn....so they go back and do the oldies some more. I'm fine with that, btw. it's nostalgia, like it or not.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 30, 2005 01:41

It's not nostalgia for me, & I suspect for hardcore fans. But if you were one of the biggest bands in the world for 40 years it's inevitable some of your audience wants to relive memories from when they were kids, or into music more actively. Also, they dont sound or play like they did in 1964, 1973, or 1982 - would they even attempt 'Moonlight Mile' 20 (or 30) years ago?

Date: June 30, 2005 02:07

count me among the hardest of the hardcore

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 30, 2005 02:31

T&A has a good point. they can't / wont EVER make another classic album. thats just common sense really

you only make those when you have genuine fire in your bellies.

ditto my other favourite band AC/DC. they like the Stones haven't made anything vaguely resembling 'classic' status since the early 80's

it doesn't mean i don't still love em or enjoy em in concert though. but i am realistic!

i have a feeling the new Stones album will be a solid enough affair with some enjoyable moments and that'll do for me

i look elsewhere for 'classic' stuff these days

Date: June 30, 2005 16:07

Who cares if its in "classic status" or not. If you like it you like it, why base your opinion so much on popular opinion. Form your own views as to whether you like something or not.

Its no fantasy world I am living in if I still listen to classic rock or hope to hear new materials from these sort of bands.

And lastly if you think its a big yawm when they play new stuff like DOn't Stop that is your opinion. I know plently of people that looked forward to them playing that song during the Licks tour. At the same time you are saying they are a nostalgia act if they play mostly old stuff. Make up your mind...

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 30, 2005 16:11

"if you think its a big yawm when they play new stuff like DOn't Stop that is your opinion"

true. and so bloody right

that is a truly dreadful song and one i'd wager we'll never here live again

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 30, 2005 16:38

T&A, don't worry! Some people think that hardcore means to be a lemming or yes-sayer.

Date: June 30, 2005 16:40

Andy js: "--- i look elsewhere for 'classic' stuff these days".
Good luck, ause all the classics are written.
Postmodernism is said to enter the Western world in 1969.
After that: echoes, repetiotion.
That´s why I seek for not classic but refined, note that, R-e-F-i-N-e-D
rock 'n roll! I find it in Keith Richard´s hands & in Mick Jagger´s voice.

People like you "old Stones-bashers" will be found everywhere (among us others) this fall in search of your rocked off buttoms, Mark All My Messages Read on that!
...Even more so after you´ve seen the new show.
I can feel it in every cell, every atom.
...And then I havent even been talkin´ to Ove yet, after the LP yesterday.

Date: June 30, 2005 16:42

I can see where T&A is coming from but I don;t agree with him/her. The way I see it, any band can put out a classic disc. Evercleer did so, Offspring did so, System of A Down's new disc is considered by their fans as a classic. Snoop Dog's disc with Gin and Juice on it is his classic. There will always be new bands that release "classics. The Stones could indeed release another classic. What's preventing it? Why not? Because they are old? Because they have nothing left to offer? I don;t agree with any of that.

Muddy Waters released 2 classics in the late 1970s and how old was he? And he released mainly old songs yet Hard Again and especially I'm Ready are "classics".

Date: June 30, 2005 16:50

Lemmmings are an interesting term here.
At which point do you become a lemming (and who decides)?

To be critical is fresh, crisp & healthy.

To have one measure-bar that all (e.g.) Tell Me-users
most follow; that states, like Martin Luther´s (not the black guy) thesises:

"BB is the best album"
"Undercover is underrated"
"DW is serevely underrated"
"HSMR is shite"
"Chuck is a blessing"

- for example -

...And you gotta follow it; then we develop lemmings imho.

I think 90 or 95% or so out of this board´s users are autonome,
free-thinking people... Every now & then some of us (yes me 2)
tend to either loose ground contact or the notion of critical thinking.

We love to make counter-postings.
Its good we do; ythis would be a gloomy plave otherwise, woulndt it?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 30, 2005 16:54

i'd like to believe the miscommunication is just because you're defining the word "classic" differently.

in the evening and in the morning ...
when we set out on our journeys and when we return home ...
we will think of them.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: June 30, 2005 17:35

I wasn't voicing "my opinion" on the Don't Stop item - I was reflecting the collective reaction of 95% of those in attendance at the Licks shows I went to.

I think the problem here may be with my liberal use of words like "classic" and "nostalgia"....the latter is apparently a viewed as a "fighting word." It's not for me. Perhaps "oldies act" better suits the Stones as a descriptor. And, there's not much to deny there....aside from the aforementioned song, there wasn't one song in their last show (2003) that newer than 9 years old. If that don't relegate you to "oldies act" status, what does?

Sorry to offend some here - like I said, count me among the diehard - and I find nothing wrong with what the Stones do these days. I'm amazed and fortunate they're around at all. I just have difficulty getting fired about what will undoubtedly be yet another in a long-line of forgotten latter-years albums. When the history of this band is ultimately written and judged the "Big 4" will stand apart as their classic albums...that you can be assured of.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 30, 2005 17:44

I posted this in another thread, but here it goes again:

"Let me point out: I wrote raw mixes, wich means they are not quite finished, Chuck will be on it, I am sure. My report is NOT a gospel, ok? It is only a report on what they heard yesterday. I hate to see my postings being the reason for people bashing eachother, like "Mickijaggero said that, or that, and therefore it must be". I had the chance to report what happened yesterday, that´s all, don´t read to much in to it. And let´s stay friendly!"

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: June 30, 2005 17:44

I must say that I agree with the "Big 4" reference. I am seeing your point now. Like AC/DC, they have put out many great discs but will probably always be known for Back in Black.

As for the "big 4", that was the Stones "time", their era. But it's over now.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2253
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home