Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith's Potbelly
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 26, 2005 23:08

Not to pick on ole Keef, but I noticed the middle-aged midriff in the Olympia section of FF, too. Of course, KR has frequently said that he doesn't recommend his PT (physical training) regimen to anyone LOL.

I say this lovingly, not to be negative, OK?

PS Contrast this to the amazing physical condition that Mick J keeps himself in--the man is a marvel, and a prime example of how discipline & dedicated PT can maintain one's vitality throughout their lives. Mick really oughta consider doing some physical training videos for us aging baby-boomers. I'm not kidding--he's got a personal trainer, but it takes a serious dose of self-discipline (which most of us lack) to stay in any sort of acceptable shape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-27 00:05 by bassplayer617.

Re: Keith's Potbelly
Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: June 27, 2005 03:03

Keith usually looks like he's a few pounds heavier at the begining of a tour, then he drops the weight rather quickly. He does now appear to have ate a bit much, but soon, as usual, it will go away.

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: June 27, 2005 03:29

I first noticed Keiths belly during the 98 European BtB tour. Yeah, it got bigger. But that´s okay. It´s not that he has put on much weight, it´s a loss of muscles that comes with age when you don´t do some training. I think his thin arms look scary. He never had a big bizeps, but his arms always looked well shaped (Ronnies still do however).

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 27, 2005 03:45

Well, he did put on a few pounds during the New Barbarians tour
(compare photos of of him then to the "78 tour a year earlier).
Not that he was "heavy" by any means. I think he looks great for someone who's 62.
As for Jagger, I know he works out very hard and keeps in shape,
but a lot of it is in the genes. A good friend of mine who used to be
in a band with me has a build very similiar to Jagger's.
His diet consists of burritos, pizza, and Coca-Cola, and the only exercise he does is walking his dog. That's it. I'm not kidding.
That's pretty much it...and he still has a 27-inch waist at age 45.

Posted by: stonesfool ()
Date: June 27, 2005 05:27

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mick really oughta
> consider doing some physical training videos

Move over Jane Fonda, LOL

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 27, 2005 05:57

Bass: Funny you mention Mick. Somewhere, and I can't remember, his father was a PT trainer in the British Army during WWII. This is where his physical fitness comes from.

Keefster, well, I'll bet he is in better shape than some of his fans!!

Actually all of the "boys" are some pretty tough Brits and I respect them for that.

Date: June 27, 2005 08:41

Also, it's his posture, sometimes, the way he struts on stage, makes his gut pooch out. I hope he ain't reading this. But like I said, he will lose it on tour.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 27, 2005 08:56

It could be related to alcoholism. I hope not. Or maybe he has irritable bowel syndrome. That causes people to get a bloated stomach; it's not fat, just gas. Lactose intolerance also causes gaseous bloating; perhaps he should lay off the dairy. Maybe that's what inspired "Jumping Jack Flash."

This is something we all want to think about, I'm sure.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 27, 2005 09:26

Much alcohol and food = fat but no muscles

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 27, 2005 14:48

Bärs, you´re a true Stones-lover, right? Fine.

I´m afraid I´m not with LISSM here: this time the belly wont go away as easily as before - I suspect its caused by the arthritis-medication.

Date: June 27, 2005 16:00

Yes, that's right. I love the Stones that much that I'd like them to stay alive and kicking. It's time to move forward because they may still tour for decades. What would be better if Keith and Ron would support each other living a healthy life? Advocating long distance running and steroid free bodybuildning during press conferences? Having their own "cook of the house show" with Macca? Cooking fresh food for their spouses without it being a drag?

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 27, 2005 16:35

People....This man is grandfather age! Mick is a freak of nature so you can't compare. I mean that in a very complimentary way. How many 60+ year old people do you know that have lived the life of Keith and look as good as Keith does and still rock like he does? When my dad was 65, he looked worse.

Frankly, I hope I have such a small "pot" belly when I'm his age.

Posted by: BostonStrangler ()
Date: June 27, 2005 16:42

dont' forget kids that Keith dad was stocky...photos of him in his later years show a very big stomach area!!..so yes some of it is genes..

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 27, 2005 16:45

I read in an interview once (possibly from B2B era) where an interviewer questioned Keiths fitness and he dropped down and did a few one handed pushups.

Now that may be false or exagerated, I don't know. But if it is true, how many 50 year plus men could manage that? (How many 20 year olds for that matter).

Now lets compare the current line-up to a certain ex-guitarist! (and I'm not talking about Brian Jones!)

Date: June 27, 2005 16:52

That's exactly what I mean. Keith has this great foundation to build a very healthy old age upon. Start doing it and support Ron at the same time who's really struggling with his health.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 27, 2005 17:02

To be honest, Ron doesn't look too bad for his age either. Looks can be deceptive, of course, and both guys lungs and livers won't look too healthy.

Now I drink beer (real ale) and have belly which reflects this. Perhaps it helps that they drink shorts - maybe they even drink shorts out of a concious effort to not get a beer belly.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 28, 2005 02:17

Yeah Ron is carrying himself pretty well. Sounds like he is in some serious shape though.

Date: June 28, 2005 02:59

Bro that's LISMM63. Now, as far as the meds go, NOT! You will see that Keith will drop the weight, he always does, including the gut, he won't eat as many, Shepard's Pie's on tour.

Date: June 28, 2005 21:11

Sorry about my 2stoned-version of your name LISMM63 (and thank you for your
using of my last instead of the other, first, worn-out one) :
There´s no secret Keith has discovered British import beer close to his residence in Connecticut: could be a more down-to-earth-explanation to the belly than arthritis-medication or something else) ...Guess he has always has his least good shape before a tour (after the longest paus from touring that is).

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: June 29, 2005 12:40

No one here knows what kind of meds Keith takes. I would not be suprised if he took steriods for his arthritis which are known to cause bloating.

Date: June 29, 2005 18:38

No, Steven; we dont know about his meds; but we sure know he uses booze & beer every now & then... And we do know he suffer from Arthritis.
Most forms of alcohol is quite well-known belly-builders, right?

Date: June 29, 2005 19:18

It's simply a question of calories in and calories out. Whether the calories come from alcohol or food doesn't matter. Beer is a bit trickier because you get a big dose of insulin when drinking it thanks to the high glycemic index of maltose. Much insulin makes it easier for fat to be stored in your body. That's why beer drinkers often are fat even though they don't necessarily eat much.

Date: June 29, 2005 20:19

Lucky me I dont drink as much beer as before.
´cause sure I eat more than I use to do.
Bärs, how´s with you: do you have a bärs-belly yourself
(YES, I do have one!!)?

Date: June 29, 2005 20:34

Nowadays I've got a six pack on my stomache instead of in it. That's the result you get when you do a marathon in four hours (Stockholm 2005) *blush*

I was two years back developing something you could call a bärs(beer-)-belly because of a quite long Keithesqe student life period (well, I didn't do drugs). Dr. Phil's tv-show got me going in the rigth direction again. smiling smiley

Date: June 29, 2005 21:32

Have a stone-hard cool Stones-die-hard marathon (no, I´m no Maraton man) friend that just passed on this years Sthlm Marathon - which he often take part in.
The mentioned fellow is in the midst of a tough separation (but he shone a light while I mentioned our friend Ove´s heavenly-like trip to the Listening Party...).
But we run up & down the Finn- (Forest Finns/Finlanders, that is) mountains at some 600 meters above Sea Level instead, fighting mosquitos, tracing bears & entountering wolves & stuff.
...Gotta fit in the super trendy flowery bath-shorts...

Date: June 29, 2005 22:50

Steven wrote:

"I would not be suprised if he took steriods for his arthritis which are known to cause bloating."

And Steriods ONLY target the gut area, Steven? Hahahahahhahah!

Are you Steven from Manchester?

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: June 29, 2005 23:37

There probably are not too many physicians or scholars on this board.

[arthritis.about.com]
[arthritis.about.com]

For those with limited attention spans who won’t read the info in the attached links, the number 1 side effect of corticosteroids commonly used for arthritis treatment is weight gain. The summary of side effects is listed below.

The potent effect of corticosteroids can result in serious side effects which mimic Cushing's disease, a malfunction of the adrenal glands resulting in an overproduction of cortisol. The list of potential side effects is long and includes:
· increased appetite and weight gain
· deposits of fat in chest, face, upper back, and stomach
· water and salt retention leading to swelling and edema
· high blood pressure
· diabetes
· black and blue marks
· slowed healing of wounds
· osteoporosis
· cataracts
· acne
· muscle weakness
· thinning of the skin
· increased susceptibility to infection
· stomach ulcers
· increased sweating
· mood swings
· psychological problems such as depression
· adrenal suppression and crisis

Party on, dudes.

Date: June 30, 2005 00:09

· increased appetite and weight gain

You eat more, consume more calories and gain weight. That's nothing new, right?

Hill running is fun Baboon Bro but it can damage your knees, i.e. you can easily get a löparknä (ITB syndrome). Watch out!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: June 30, 2005 00:58

I'll put my belly up against Keef's belly anyday!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2005 01:06

Don’t worry once the tour kicks Keith will slim down into rocking machine.

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home