Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 45 years ago: Hendrix-Band of Gypsies...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 1, 2015 03:31

One of my favorite records. But does anyone know of anybody that went to these 4 shows?

Re: OT: 45 years ago: Hendrix-Band of Gypsies...
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 1, 2015 04:34

I talked to Steve Miller a few years back, apparently he was at one of the shows. We talked a lot about Hendrix (one of my favorite subjects).

Some of the details he told me are probably best not repeated here but basically he was disappointed in Hendrix and his management at the time, mostly over the cocktail of drugs required to get Jimi on stage at that time. He was pretty close to the action, a huge Hendrix fan and was probably in a position to know.

In any case, the intensity of his playing on that record is pretty mind blowing, not my favorite Hendrix but a record I always find something new to be amazed about after every listen.

peace

Date: January 1, 2015 13:21

Not among Hendrix's best stuff, imo.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 1, 2015 14:12

I beg to differ: it's Jimi discovering funk.

Date: January 1, 2015 14:19

He already did that. BOG is too loose for me.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 1, 2015 14:50

WOW!!! Just got the free download from Wolfgangs and played it. First it's a soundboard-audience recording, but @#$%& wow I never heard these things before from JIMI. Maybe I'm not an aficionado but I'm very pleased to hear these sounds that are new to me. If you guys think Ya-Ya's was butchered to make the final cut wait until you hear this. Anyway I love both the official releases I grew up on and now that I'm middle aged it's really cool to hear how it really was. A special New Years greeting to all the Rock And Roll Music lovers out there. Cheers!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 1, 2015 15:07

Jimi Hendrix's Greatest Solo - Machine Gun - Live at the Filmore

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 1, 2015 15:16

Isley Brothers covered Machine Gun to great effect too.

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: January 2, 2015 22:14

I was at that show, bottle of cough syrup and acid

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 3, 2015 06:38

RockinBud

Do you happen to know what Jimi was on? winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 3, 2015 07:23

IHMO - The Greatest Live Album of All Time. Jimi Hendrix is absolutely on fire. His zenith. We are introduced to five (plus Buddy's one) original Hendrix compositions that have no comparable studio counterpart. These live performances are so great that no studio tracks could have topped them.

I believe the story is that the first show or two Jimi was f-ing around, flicking his tongue, playing with his teeth, etc., and Bill Graham told him just to play. Which Jimi did in a way never heard before or since. He was communicating with that guitar in a language beyond words. Jimi Hendrix would never be better, and in fact would be in slow decline on stage right until his death 8 and a half months later. An absolute masterpiece from beginning to end.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 3, 2015 12:12

This is indeed one of the finest live records ever made. Expanded deluxe version outstanding as well. I had one of my college roomies that went to one of these shows and said it was killer. He had seen Jimi mulitple times.One of my best buddies, he died 9 years ago, way to young like Jimi. RIP Chip. I miss you.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 3, 2015 13:01

Yes, I agree one of my favorite Hendrix solos is Machine Gun. Absolutely brilliant!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 3, 2015 14:58

RockinBud

Do you remember the setlist ? cool smiley

Date: January 3, 2015 20:55

24FPS
IHMO - The Greatest Live Album of All Time. Jimi Hendrix is absolutely on fire. His zenith. We are introduced to five (plus Buddy's one) original Hendrix compositions that have no comparable studio counterpart. These live performances are so great that no studio tracks could have topped them.

I believe the story is that the first show or two Jimi was f-ing around, flicking his tongue, playing with his teeth, etc., and Bill Graham told him just to play. Which Jimi did in a way never heard before or since. He was communicating with that guitar in a language beyond words. Jimi Hendrix would never be better, and in fact would be in slow decline on stage right until his death 8 and a half months later. An absolute masterpiece from beginning to end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-03 20:59 by mighty stork.

Date: January 3, 2015 21:52

Them Changes

Date: January 4, 2015 03:27

On fire

Date: January 4, 2015 03:31

mighty stork
RockinBud

Do you happen to know what Jimi was on? winking smiley

On Fire

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 4, 2015 04:51

I never did read a clear account of the original Track Records cover. I wonder where those dolls (puppets?) reside today.

Date: January 4, 2015 20:19

I can only remember "Machine Gun" which was like bullets going through me.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 4, 2015 23:38

Wasn't even born during this time but always loved this album. I think it really caught me one night super baked in college.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 4, 2015 23:49

Message To Love and Izabella are my favorite tracks from this one.

It seemed that Buddy Miles was able to give Jimi a solid groove unlike the crazy antics of Mitch Mitchell. I never knew what to think of Mitch's drumming with The Experience except that sometimes it was just too busy.

peace

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 5, 2015 00:06

Always loved this Hendrix album---was such as groove and departure when it came out--even though Buddy Miles could often be pretty heavy handed, he was perfect for Hendrix---terrific album !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home