Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Bands that have "blown the Stones off the stage"
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 16:12

DandelionPowderman
The Stones
DandelionPowderman
"Bands that have "blown the Stones off the stage"

Don't exist...

Check out Toronto, Canada 2003 and you'll probably realize the fact that
AC/DC blew The Stones with Justin Timberlake off the stage big time.....

[www.iorr.org]

Look, I love AC/DC, and I have seen this one, of course. But for me they don't have the songs to even gently rattle the greatness of JJF, BS or other big ones.

Different leagues, different ball games.

It would be like saying "Bolton played better than Liverpool tonight", if they played on the same day...

I was at the Sars show in Toronto...and was not at all an ACDC fan. I was bummed that they were even on the bill, and especially after finding out they were playing AFTER the Guess Who and Rush, either of whom I viewed as better bands, and esp since this was a kind of Canadian celebration.

The Guess Who (original lineup) were killer. Rush was Rush (not my thing but talented musicians). ACDC then came on an were AMAZING. Simple songs but they whipped the crowd up to a new level - they were tight and powerful. The Stones finally came on and they sounded like weak old men after the testosterone that ACDC pumped out. SMU should have been rocking twin guitars and instead was this tinny, weak attempt at an anthem - after ACDC had shown how to present a live set to a big crowd.

The Stones were maybe the 6th or 7th best band that day. The crowd deflated during their set. It was a clear indication that they were a band very very far past their prime....really an oldies act. And it just wasn't their age, as 'older' bands like The Guess Who and the Isley Brothers (who were also much better than the Stones) played with energy and vigor.

They got blown off the stage.

(Saw Thorogood, Journey, Living Color, No Doubt, etc all open different tours and none blew the Stones off the stage - Living Color maybe the worst of the bunch...just noise in the echoing Carrier Dome)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 25, 2014 16:19

Van Morrison, Oakland '06

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 25, 2014 16:23

Alejandra Guzman in Monterrey Bigger Bang Tour...What a funny thread.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: December 25, 2014 16:27

Rocnroll circus. The Who blew them into the vaults for decades

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 25, 2014 16:38

paulywaul
LuxuryStones
paulywaul
LuxuryStones
Pointless thread imo. Either you're a fan or not. People come to see the Rolling Stones, so the supporting act always is second best. If the Mahavishnu Orchestra would have played for the RS as a supporting act in 1972, no Rolling Stones fan would have stated that their band was blown off the stage.

It's not nothing to do with being a fan or not being fan, it's got everything to do with absolutely mindblowing performances, and on THAT particular day at Knebworth in the summer of 1976 ... Lynyrd Skynyrd put on an amazingly good performance and the Rolling Stones were to a great extent overshadowed by it. It's that simple ... it's got f**k all to do with being a fan or not.

Just my two cents worth ...........

Some people think a certain concert was mindblowing, others don't.

I'm a huge Stones fan, as big as they come, but if in my opinion another band trounced them on the day ... then that opinion is as valid as someone who disagrees. So f***ing what ? The point of the thread (I would guess) is that the original poster probably wants to know if there are people out there who believe that in the history to date, other bands have blown the Stones off the stage. Well, I just happen to be one person who thinks that yes, on occasions there probably have been bands that have done exactly that, and Knebworth 1976 is my particular example. Were you there ? Well I WAS ... and let me tell you, after the version of Free Bird that Skynyrd performed to close their set, and the shaky start the Stones got off too after a massive time delay, there were a LOT of people around me voicing the opinion that Skynyrd had trounced them, and there were a LOT of people leaving as the Stones were a few songs into their set. They salvaged it in in the end, but Skynyrd sure gave them a run for their money.

Anyway, the point of this discussion is WHAT precisely. I'm never going to change my point of view about what I saw and heard that night all those years ago, and presumably you're never going to change your point of view that the discussion is futile in its own right and that no-one has ever blown the Rolling Stones off the stage ................. so Merry Christmas to you and end of conversation !

I think you completely misinterpret what I'm writing smiling smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 25, 2014 16:42

Just guessing that Guns and Roses has blown Stones off the stage, due to being very very hot back then with Axel Rose and his antics at their peak. Plus Slash too!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 25, 2014 17:02

LuxuryStones
paulywaul
LuxuryStones
paulywaul
LuxuryStones
Pointless thread imo. Either you're a fan or not. People come to see the Rolling Stones, so the supporting act always is second best. If the Mahavishnu Orchestra would have played for the RS as a supporting act in 1972, no Rolling Stones fan would have stated that their band was blown off the stage.

It's not nothing to do with being a fan or not being fan, it's got everything to do with absolutely mindblowing performances, and on THAT particular day at Knebworth in the summer of 1976 ... Lynyrd Skynyrd put on an amazingly good performance and the Rolling Stones were to a great extent overshadowed by it. It's that simple ... it's got f**k all to do with being a fan or not.

I'm a huge Stones fan, as big as they come, but if in my opinion another band trounced them on the day ... then that opinion is as valid as someone who disagrees. So f***ing what ? The point of the thread (I would guess) is that the original poster probably wants to know if there are people out there who believe that in the history to date, other bands have blown the Stones off the stage. Well, I just happen to be one person who thinks that yes, on occasions there probably have been bands that have done exactly that, and Knebworth 1976 is my particular example. Were you there ? Well I WAS ... and let me tell you, after the version of Free Bird that Skynyrd performed to close their set, and the shaky start the Stones got off too after a massive time delay, there were a LOT of people around me voicing the opinion that Skynyrd had trounced them, and there were a LOT of people leaving as the Stones were a few songs into their set. They salvaged it in in the end, but Skynyrd sure gave them a run for their money.

Anyway, the point of this discussion is WHAT precisely. I'm never going to change my point of view about what I saw and heard that night all those years ago, and presumably you're never going to change your point of view that the discussion is futile in its own right and that no-one has ever blown the Rolling Stones off the stage ................. so Merry Christmas to you and end of conversation !

I don't

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 25, 2014 17:06

paulywaul
LuxuryStones
paulywaul
LuxuryStones
paulywaul
LuxuryStones

I don't

I'm the last one to state that the Rolling Stones never got blown off the stage, neither by a supporting act nor another individual act. But one can only speak à titre personnel.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 25, 2014 17:26

As Paulywaul said, it's just opinions.....I was at Knebworth too and was about 30-40 yards from the stage and saw Lynyrd Skynyrd pull a mesmerising blinder, esp. Freebird - I've got the boot and play it regularly - but 'trounce' the Stones?....I don't agree with that. shaky start, well, they hadn't played Satisfaction regularly live since 1972 (once in '78 I think)...so, maybe some thought that was shaky, not me, I was there straight away and loved all the Black and Blue stuff too....et al...Midnight Rambler alone did for LS, Mick was away with the fairies on that, bizarre outfit to boot - easily equal to Freebird in it's own way.......so....there's no way I would have walked out on the Stones, knackered as I was, that's just silly. But as PW says, just opinion.

One band that I did think trounced the big boys was Ian Dury & the Blockheads - although not on the same stage - I saw the New Barbarians and Led Zep on the Saturday 11th August 1979 - I enjoyed the New Barbs more although LZ were more 'accomplished' in their performance but on the Sunday I saw Ian Dury down at the Hammersmith Odeon, well, in retrospect I could see why he turned down a hundred or so grand to play the Knebworth show (Offered an afternoon slot)...........the Blockheads were on another plane and the NB and LZ should have been supporting them - Knebworth was enjoyable but Ian Dury was a total knee trembler - I came out of there like I'd had a divine vision....literally spechless...the only thing I could do was blow the air out of my lungs, shake my head and say @#$%& me, what was that?....and......... within 3 minutes of sticking my thumb out to get a lift, along the M4, a brand new juggernaut picked us up and 4 hours later dropped us off 200 miles down the raod, 1 mile from my house...............like a dream.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-25 21:25 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 25, 2014 17:38

PaulyWaul said it well.

Artemis Pyle, who was not the original LS drummer, did not speak for the band.
I got a call from Ronnie Van Zant the next day who said, "We did well" and he told me how complimentary the Stones were about the LS performance.

That meant a lot to Ronnie and Allen especially since their favorite band was
the Stones and Eric Clapton their favorite guitar player.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-25 17:42 by stonesrule.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 17:54

buffalo7478

I was at the Sars show in Toronto...and was not at all an ACDC fan. I was bummed that they were even on the bill, and especially after finding out they were playing AFTER the Guess Who and Rush, either of whom I viewed as better bands, and esp since this was a kind of Canadian celebration.

The Guess Who (original lineup) were killer. Rush was Rush (not my thing but talented musicians). ACDC then came on an were AMAZING. Simple songs but they whipped the crowd up to a new level - they were tight and powerful. The Stones finally came on and they sounded like weak old men after the testosterone that ACDC pumped out. SMU should have been rocking twin guitars and instead was this tinny, weak attempt at an anthem - after ACDC had shown how to present a live set to a big crowd.

The Stones were maybe the 6th or 7th best band that day. The crowd deflated during their set. It was a clear indication that they were a band very very far past their prime....really an oldies act. And it just wasn't their age, as 'older' bands like The Guess Who and the Isley Brothers (who were also much better than the Stones) played with energy and vigor.

They got blown off the stage.

I was at the concert as well and that pretty much sums it up. In Toronto, The Guess Who, Rush and AC/DC are three very tough acts to follow. The predominant generation of rock fans there hadn't seen the Guess Who in years and they are a source of national pride. Rush is a hometown band with a cult-like following. AC/DC came out at the perfect time...late afternoon on a hot sunny day...and they crowd was rockin' it. Then we had to wait a long time for the Stones. They waited for the sun to set. We boomers in the crowd were hungry, thirsty and exhausted. We just didn't have the energy of youth to last through a day-long concert.

But you're right, what really killed it, unbelievably...Start Me Up....It didn't work. I thought the same thing..."what was that!" It sounded tired and lame....and this is a song that was out after AC/DC's mega-hits. The song had no punch at all. The weak sound was a huge factor. The rest of the set just withered from there and people began to drift away. We had seen it all before. I remember thinking...'this wouldn't have happened to The Who'.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 25, 2014 20:11

roryg
Many people (not me) thought The Eagles(!) were the strongest act in '75 in Milw. They were good, but c'mon, STONES

Was there and they were good and maybe considered great when Joe Walsh joined them at the end of their set. I wouldn't say they blew the Stones off the stage and after 1975 they just blew.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: December 25, 2014 20:22

Agreed. It was a fun set and Joe was a pleasant surprise. Saw them a couple years later at same venue and, as you stated, The Eagles were boring. I'm glad we saw them in '75 before they went completely south. Jagger even barked at some police busting a kid during the set which was interesting for Milwaukee. It would be fun if they played one more show at Miller Park just for kicks

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 25, 2014 20:22

The original guns n' roses

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 25, 2014 20:31

roryg
Agreed. It was a fun set and Joe was a pleasant surprise. Saw them a couple years later at same venue and, as you stated, The Eagles were boring. I'm glad we saw them in '75 before they went completely south. Jagger even barked at some police busting a kid during the set which was interesting for Milwaukee. It would be fun if they played one more show at Miller Park just for kicks

They seem to skip over Milwaukee over the years with the exception of the Bradley Center September 8, 2005 but if they come I'm there in a heartbeat!smileys with beer

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 25, 2014 20:55

The Beach Boys, if only Mick hadn't been afraid of Mike Love. winking smiley

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 25, 2014 21:28

I remember my friends and I thinking that J. Geils trumped the Stones in Seattle in '81 but looking back at the show now, courtesy of the footage of the Stones I think we were wrong. For whatever reason, we felt a bit disappointed by the Stones' set at the time-bad sound, long day, not enough to smoke? For me, I was on the floor and pretty close for the J. Geils Band set and had to go back up to the 300 level for the headliners, so that may have had something to do with it as well.

Date: December 25, 2014 21:57

pepganzo

With Tracii Guns?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 25, 2014 22:27

How were the Flaming Lips at the SARS show? I know they were pretty far down the bill but I have never seen them play badly. I will admit they are my favorite band & they probably benefit from playing last with the visual presentation. I saw them last summer & it was the best I've seen them play. That's going a real long way.smoking smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 25, 2014 22:57

Freddie and the Dreamers

Date: December 25, 2014 23:17

DandelionPowderman
pepganzo

With Tracii Guns?
with slash and nor the guys of the new line up. Ps: also L.A guns were good.

Bands that have "blown the Stones off the stage"
Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: December 25, 2014 23:29

" Blown Off " ?? Never. Wrong terms.

There were very strong support acts and sometimes they were slightly better...
Some people who attended the `73 european tour said that the supportact Billy Preston with Mick Taylor was hotter then the main act...winking smiley

Tom

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 26, 2014 00:17

Palace Revolution 2000
SweetThing
The Who at Rock and Roll Circus...and then decades later at a benefit..forget which...

Of course we all know the Stones are the long distance runners that compare favorably more often than not in most metrics....

LOL, that is exactly what I was going to post. The Circus we all know about; and that might be debatable. But the NYC post 9/11 benefit may be ytthe other one you refer to. That is the one I was thinking about recently becayuse somewhere I saw a pic not too long ago; it is the shot that they took backstage of Who andf Stones. Judt the Twins actually. And at that show it was more than obvious how the Who just stole the show. It was a very emotional time, and one could see how the NYPD and Firemen really responded to the Who's set.
I saw several of the 89 opening sets of Living Color. And I can not agree at all that they even come close to stealing anything. always a band I have loathed, they IMO were terrible.

I liked that in 69 and 72 the Stones took chnaces and tried to make it a package show. Where evryone was tops. So there was the chnace to be shown up by the opening act.
Nowadays they give the opening band a terrible sound system.

Do you think this is the case? I always wondered why the sound of the warm up band is a bit different but I can't imagine that they would give them a poorer quality on purpose. It seems so childish and unprofessional for such a big band.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: December 26, 2014 00:41

I am probably in the minority here but I saw Journey and George Thorogood open for the Stones in Philadelphia in 1981 and I thought Journey buried Thorogood. Better sound, better energy. Don't like Journey, but I know enough to know when a band is doing a better job. Journey did.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 26, 2014 00:51

Ditka.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 26, 2014 00:59

I also was at the SARS show in Toronto. The $20 price per ticket was a nice gesture. The next tour should be like that! lol

ACDC totally blew the Stones off the stage. When the Stones came on stage even their body language was lethargic and they looked like they were just going through the motions. At the same time, I respect them for what the concert meant. Unfortunately all of the ducks don't always line up all of the time.

The last song was JJF or Satisfaction, I can't remember. Then you start considering, "Do I want to get a little bit ahead of the crowd of 400,000 people?" So we decided to start walking the three or four kilometers back to the car half way into the last song. I know it almost sounds sacrilegious, but at the time if felt like the right thing to do. I even felt kind of sad inside that we did that after the fact.

On the bright side of things, I think the vast majority of us would agree that the Licks tour was pretty damn good.

The whole experience was totally exhausting and I too would never do something like that again. What a drag it is getting old.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 26, 2014 01:05

DandelionPowderman
NICOS
James Brown........ I can't remember the year "65 ?

64, but he really didn't, right?

No he didn't but he was close...........................

Date: December 26, 2014 01:24

pepganzo
DandelionPowderman
pepganzo

With Tracii Guns?

Slash came in a bit later. Tracii was in the original lineup and wrote a few of the songs that later became huge hits, like Don't Cry.

I toured with an incarnation of LA Guns, and they were fantastic. Much better than I could have imagined. More Hendrix and Led Zep-inspired than one might think.

Date: December 26, 2014 01:35

DandelionPowderman
pepganzo
DandelionPowderman
pepganzo

With Tracii Guns?

Slash came in a bit later. Tracii was in the original lineup and wrote a few of the songs that later became huge hits, like Don't Cry.

I toured with an incarnation of LA Guns, and they were fantastic. Much better than I could have imagined. More Hendrix and Led Zep-inspired than one might think.
I know that but I consider the line up of appetito for destruction as the original line up. During the shows of 1989 and 1992 they sounded grat like the sons of the stones

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 26, 2014 02:23

Naturalust
muffie
Guns n Roses, LA 89.

Not the show I saw. Living Colour was better than G&R and the Stones were the best, imo.

I would have liked to see the show in Miami or even the one show on the fall 1969 Tour where Janis Joplin played, she might have come close. And I imagine the 1998 shows with Dave Matthews were pretty much a dead heat, with Dave being so hot then and the Stones not at the top of their game.

peace

Joplin once opened for the Stones? Never knew that. I remember seeing footage of her at the Garden in the audience watching one of the shows. Maybe it wasn't the Garden after all and may have been the show she opened for them?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home