Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 23, 2014 20:48

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-04 20:30 by colonial.

Re: Mick Taylor unrecognised at Auckland concert asked for ID
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 23, 2014 21:02

Sad to see that happen at a Stones show but I'd imagine he'd be losing his patience even more if paparazzi were constantly badgering him in his normal life. Recognizable fame without fortune would probably be the worst curse for most stars.

peace

Date: December 23, 2014 21:29

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:42 by colonial.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 24, 2014 02:01

<<each time he went back into the bar at the Auckland Stones concert>>

This brings to mind a few questions:

1. Couldn't Stones catering take care of him? No doubt Keith is well stocked, why shouldn't MT be?

2. Wasn't he forced to go through a pre-tour rehab program in 2012?

3. Exactly how many times was he going into the bar? [see question 2]

4. He drinks during the concert at which he is to appear? [see questions 2 and 3]

Date: December 24, 2014 03:03

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:41 by colonial.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: December 24, 2014 03:35

colonial
stonehearted

He was in the corporate box and bar area just because ya in there doesn't mean to say ya drinking alcohol Mick could of been drinking orange juice or nothing for all we know.. yea smoking smiley

I'd wager a bet he was either chatting to someone or wanted to stretch his legs a bit.
The band would normally get in by 15 o'clock, so that means there is a 6 hour wait before he gets to do anything on stage.
That's a long time to be cooped up in a cabin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-25 12:06 by Chacal.

Date: December 24, 2014 06:28

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:41 by colonial.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 24, 2014 06:36

By far the best musician in the band and people don't even recognize him? What a bitch! Only shows how superficial the whole star trip is.

Date: December 24, 2014 09:41

stonehearted

This brings to mind a few questions:

1. Couldn't Stones catering take care of him? No doubt Keith is well stocked, why shouldn't MT be?

2. Wasn't he forced to go through a pre-tour rehab program in 2012?

3. Exactly how many times was he going into the bar? [see question 2]

4. He drinks during the concert at which he is to appear? [see questions 2 and 3]

I'm sure he's old enough to decide whether to drink or not. One or two to take the edge off might be what causes him to play the best. No doubt he has enough self control not to over do it with so much at stake. What he does after the show is obviously his own business and I think Mick and the others are past the babysitting days such as was necessary with Ronnie and his freebase problem on the 1981 tour, not to say they don't have high expectations......smoking smiley

peace
peace

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 24, 2014 14:09

If I had to play the 2 same old songs over and over again like Mick Taylor has to, I would drink 2 gallons of tequila before every show. Makes this mind-numbing job worthwhile.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 24, 2014 20:28

LuxuryStones
If I had to play the 2 same old songs over and over again like Mick Taylor has to, I would drink 2 gallons of tequila before every show. Makes this mind-numbing job worthwhile.

Big LOL

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 24, 2014 20:37

The mere fact the doorman doesn't recognize him shows he's not often in that bar...

The bouncer here sees me across the street 2 blocks down and let's me know I won't be allowed back in...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 24, 2014 21:54

I think we are portraying Taylor's experience a little too negatively here. Yes, he only plays on two songs each gig, but, he has been taken on a tour which has played some of the world's best venues and festivals...he gets to play with great musicians, both on stage and off and his profile has been raised which if he used correctly could spring board his career.

He may betechnically the best musician on stage (guitar wise) but he can;t write a song for toffee, so he isn't getting a bad deal really. I'd love to see him on stage for the duration but that isn't ever going to happen and for me it was great just to see him for those two songs and more importantly that he played some great guitar.

If they go on to record an album, it would be good if he figured on some songs as a thanks, but Jagger runs a tight ship and it wouldn't surprise me to see no Taylor on any new work.

I agree though, if I was in his place I would do a lot of walking around the arena before the show...maybe he just likes to get a feel of a place rather than sit backstage!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 24, 2014 22:43

I remember that a couple of years ago Lars Ulrich was refused the entrance to the venue where Metallica played!!! Security worker didn't recognize him and Lars forgot his ID so they didn't let him in. Of course someone from the management intervened and he eventually was able to play at HIS show with HIS band. grinning smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 24, 2014 22:54

Security people are not supposed to be fans. They are supposed to take care of security. Mick Taylor does not walk with his own security people, so it is only natural that local venue security people ask him for ID when he enters restricted areas. The same might happen for Charlie, but he is walking with RS band security these days so they make sure he always get in without a hazzle...

The security at Mt Smart Auckland was excellent. Even Jane Rose, band relatives and other well known (by us) people with the band had to show ID everywhere, which basically means they (security) are doing their job.

PS. Sure there is plenty of food and catering backstage also for Mick Taylor, but Mick Taylor, Charlie, Ronnie and others from the band do want to meet fans, family and friends in the VIP areas, that is why they walk around there of course.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-24 22:57 by bv.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 00:31

Engelbert Humperdinck was followed by Bob Greene for a few days, who wrote of it in ESQUIRE. When Humperdinck walked into the venue of his own show, backstage some venue employee stopped him and asked, "Are you the comedian?" Humperdinck said nothing, walked to some authority type and said, "Could you get rid of that guy? He's bothersome."

Date: December 25, 2014 01:35

franzk
I remember that a couple of years ago Lars Ulrich was refused the entrance to the venue where Metallica played!!! Security worker didn't recognize him and Lars forgot his ID so they didn't let him in. Of course someone from the management intervened and he eventually was able to play at HIS show with HIS band. grinning smiley

I remember that a couple of years ago Mike Tyson was refused the entrance to the venue where the heavy weight championship against Holyfield took place. Security worker didn't recognize him. The rest is history.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 25, 2014 03:36

Happened to Bob Dylan once, at a Bob Dylan show:

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 25, 2014 03:49

Dylan not recognised by police officer .......... [www.huffingtonpost.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: December 25, 2014 07:19

bv
Security people are not supposed to be fans. They are supposed to take care of security. Mick Taylor does not walk with his own security people, so it is only natural that local venue security people ask him for ID when he enters restricted areas. The same might happen for Charlie, but he is walking with RS band security these days so they make sure he always get in without a hazzle...

Not sure if I'm following what you're saying, BV.
Why would Mick Taylor walk around with his 'own' security people ? There is one security team working for the Stones and they're supposed to look after MT as well. aren't they.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-25 07:23 by Chacal.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 25, 2014 15:34

I stayed at the same hotel as the band, and watched Mick check out. He was hanging around the lobby, all smiles, shaking hands with tour staff. A boy that must have been no more than 14 years old walked up to him with an acoustic guitar. Mick sat down and played a little, then signed the guitar. The kid looked overjoyed. Not sure if it was the child of one of the tour party or just a fan, but he didn't get on the tour bus so I think he was just a fan. He stepped outside to have a smoke, and take some pictures with others outside. Again, all smiles.

I wouldn't worry too much about Mick Taylor. I think he was very happy with the tour.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 16:18

bv

The security at Mt Smart Auckland was excellent. Even Jane Rose, band relatives and other well known (by us) people with the band had to show ID everywhere, which basically means they (security) are doing their job.

PS. Sure there is plenty of food and catering backstage also for Mick Taylor, but Mick Taylor, Charlie, Ronnie and others from the band do want to meet fans, family and friends in the VIP areas, that is why they walk around there of course.

If security is doing their job this is the way it should be. Don't want fans doing security. You want people intent on doing their jobs: keeping things secure. I promoted shows at one point in my life and fired a few security people at shows who were more interested in seeing the show or being part of the scene than keeping secure areas secure. Best people I had were ones that did not like the band or much music in general - just there to do a job.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 16:50

Best people I had were ones that did not like the band or much music in general - just there to do a job.

Just don't promise them free beer or knock their bikes over...winking smiley

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: December 26, 2014 18:42

I bet that front-line, at-the-door security guys are not even 30 years old. I am an American high school teacher, and more than a few of my 17 year-old students couldn't pick out Mick Jagger - let alone Mick Taylor - in a line-up. In fact the ONLY one they would be able to recognize would be Mick - Keith, et. al are not even a blip on their radars.

While we are surrounded by Stones fans on this forum; we forget that "Mick Taylor of the Rolling Stones" does not "exist" for probably 99% of people on planet Earth.

Substitute "The Rolling Stones" for "Mick Taylor of the ROlling Stones" in the above statement, and that's where my students live - a world without the Stones.

But for some reason they all - to a student - know Brian Jones.

Date: December 26, 2014 18:58

Jayce
I bet that front-line, at-the-door security guys are not even 30 years old. I am an American high school teacher, and more than a few of my 17 year-old students couldn't pick out Mick Jagger - let alone Mick Taylor - in a line-up. In fact the ONLY one they would be able to recognize would be Mick - Keith, et. al are not even a blip on their radars.

While we are surrounded by Stones fans on this forum; we forget that "Mick Taylor of the Rolling Stones" does not "exist" for probably 99% of people on planet Earth.

Substitute "The Rolling Stones" for "Mick Taylor of the ROlling Stones" in the above statement, and that's where my students live - a world without the Stones.

In a way that makes sense, as Brian was in the band when they mattered the most, regardless of which of the band's eras one prefers.

Date: December 26, 2014 19:53

Jayce

What an opportunity to write a book about the Rolling Stones' golden era. Bunch of philistines.

Date: December 26, 2014 21:40

Jayce

What? I would think they all knew "The Rolling Stones" if not for nothing more than a band in their parents record collection. Not sure where you teach school, maybe that is a factor, I've got lots of high school age kids in my life and they all know who the Stones are. Probably couldn't pick 'em out of a line up, but they have heard the name, especially after the latest high profile tour.

And I'm very curious how they all know who Brian Jones is. confused smiley Wondering if the same is true for Jimi Hendrix.

peace

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: December 27, 2014 04:19

The Brian part is ironic. Nobody knows who the @#$%& he is. grinning smiley

Posted by: TE ()
Date: December 27, 2014 04:31

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

Big LOL

+1, LOL.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: TE ()
Date: December 27, 2014 04:55

drbryant

I wouldn't worry too much about Mick Taylor. I think he was very happy with the tour.

+1

TE
Oslo

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home