Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: My RS Fan Book is Out: You Get What You Need
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 5, 2015 03:36

i ordered 3 copies...should be delivered tomorrow

Re: My Book is Out: You Get What You Need
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 5, 2015 04:15

swiss
angee
Thanks, STG, and Swiss (want to say anything more here, post-read?)

Thanks for the additional noodge to write more about your book, Angee. As mentioned via email, this is a bit of a hectic time, but am so delighted to share my impressions of the heartfelt and well-written You Get What You Need with other iorrans.

I enjoyed You Get What You Need. The research is impressive--i.e., collecting a huge amount of "data" and personal stories through countless interviews, of a diverse bunch of people, culling out cohesive and interesting themes in Rolling Stones fandom, and presenting it all in a compelling book.

While Angee is an academic, the book's prose reads easily and is warm in tone. A nice mixture of scholarship and everyday appeal -- no easy feat to accomplish. It effectively mixes in Angee's own experiences and take on being a Stones' fan, which adds a personal dimension. I enjoyed "hearing" people describe their relationships to/with the Stones, including their first exposure to them and when they converted to fandom, accounts of concerts, meaningful songs, as well as Angee's chronicling of the various message boards.

I'm pleased to own You Get What You Need, happy that Angee conducted this research and summarized the Stones phenomena so ably in her book, and to have it among the other other books in my Rolling Stones collection.

- swiss

Nice review swiss! Did you find any of your words or stories in print? I had a suspicion that sexuality might be covered in the book based on my conversations with Angee.....left me wondering what approach she was going to take on the book. Sounds like she covered alot of bases.

peace

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: January 5, 2015 06:14

Got my copy on New Year's Eve, read it straight through, and really enjoyed it....great job, Andee!!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 5, 2015 06:40

swiss, what a beautiful piece you wrote there, absolutely wonderful.
I am thrilled to read this. You touched on aspects I worked on and hoped were true in their outcome for
the reader. cool smiley

Naturalust, just to note, I had written to a small number of people here for another work I did, more of an academic paper particularly on sexuality and the band per se. That was published in a chapter in Helmut Staubman's edited book The Rolling Stones: Sociological Perspectives (Lexington Books, 2013) discussed in its own topic a while back. Some of that topic was covered in my book You Get What You Want in a couple of chapters, more of a general, all-around attempt to capture areas of RS fandom online and offline.

tommyq, thanks so much!

LQ, sweet!

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-05 07:09 by angee.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 5, 2015 18:26

Really enjoyed my copy, angee. Nice job!

Re: My Book is Out: You Get What You Need
Date: January 5, 2015 18:32

swiss
angee
Thanks, STG, and Swiss (want to say anything more here, post-read?)

Thanks for the additional noodge to write more about your book, Angee. As mentioned via email, this is a bit of a hectic time, but am so delighted to share my impressions of the heartfelt and well-written You Get What You Need with other iorrans.

I enjoyed You Get What You Need. The research is impressive--i.e., collecting a huge amount of "data" and personal stories through countless interviews, of a diverse bunch of people, culling out cohesive and interesting themes in Rolling Stones fandom, and presenting it all in a compelling book.

While Angee is an academic, the book's prose reads easily and is warm in tone. A nice mixture of scholarship and everyday appeal -- no easy feat to accomplish. It effectively mixes in Angee's own experiences and take on being a Stones' fan, which adds a personal dimension. I enjoyed "hearing" people describe their relationships to/with the Stones, including their first exposure to them and when they converted to fandom, accounts of concerts, meaningful songs, as well as Angee's chronicling of the various message boards.

I'm pleased to own You Get What You Need, happy that Angee conducted this research and summarized the Stones phenomena so ably in her book, and to have it among the other other books in my Rolling Stones collection.

- swiss

thumbs up Looking very much forward to reading this one!

Date: January 7, 2015 01:50

Elmo, so glad you enjoyed it.
DP, let me know what you think. Anyone else too, comments welcomed.

SomeTorontoGirl started up a really interesting discussion related to some of the topics I brought up
in the book [www.iorr.org]

I hope to weigh in there after a while myself, good stuff.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 7, 2015 02:27

angee
SomeTorontoGirl started up a really interesting discussion related to some of the topics I brought up

Waiting for you to join the fray!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2015 02:33

SomeTorontoGirl
angee

I took a moment to step back from the board for a moment and noticed a couple of interesting things.

The ladies of the board are talking about spiritual, sexual, maybe even mystical things as relate to Stones music.

The guys are talking about their favourite box sets.

So, in the spirit of that observation...what is your favourite box set?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 7, 2015 02:41

SomeTorontoGirl
angee

So am I!

Date: January 7, 2015 02:42

[spew!]

Date: January 7, 2015 02:43

treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl
angee

I took a moment to step back from the board for a moment and noticed a couple of interesting things.

The ladies of the board are talking about spiritual, sexual, maybe even mystical things as relate to Stones music.

Where are "the ladies of the board" talking about "spiritual...maybe even mystical things"? I must have missed that.

Date: January 7, 2015 02:44

swiss
treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl
angee

Where are "the ladies of the board" talking about "spiritual...maybe even mystical things"? I must have missed that.

It's ok you were at work.

Someone's gotta earn money for all the stuff around here!

Date: January 7, 2015 02:51

treaclefingers
swiss
treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl
angee

I'm following and have contributed copiously to that thread--it's mostly men, actually, and where's the spiritual and mystical element? Seemed pretty straightforward to me even your rhetorical sideline fumblings with STG winking smiley

Date: January 7, 2015 02:51

Nice one Treacle - now we have to merge three threads... grinning smiley

Date: January 7, 2015 02:55

(He is kinda fumbly, Swiss, isn't he?)

Date: January 7, 2015 17:19

swiss
treaclefingers
swiss
treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl
angee

I'm following and have contributed copiously to that thread--it's mostly men, actually, and where's the spiritual and mystical element? Seemed pretty straightforward to me even your rhetorical sideline fumblings with STG winking smiley

Indeed, if I haven't the accuracy that the 'swiss' are famed for, I apologize. I am more 'heart' than that, not an automaton...perhaps just an emoticon? moody smiley

Date: January 7, 2015 17:45

Whoooops. Time to start the Treacle Apology Thread! Blowing apologetic kisses...

Date: January 7, 2015 17:48

SomeTorontoGirl
Whoooops. Time to start the Treacle Apology Thread! Blowing apologetic kisses...

I sense sarcasm...I hope I'm wrong.

Date: January 7, 2015 18:20

You're wrong. I've yet to master blowing sarcastic kisses. Working on ironic ones though.

Back to Angee's book - who's read it. I really am interested to know what the forum thinks.

Date: January 7, 2015 21:37

SomeTorontoGirl
You're wrong. I've yet to master blowing sarcastic kisses. Working on ironic ones though.

Back to Angee's book - who's read it. I really am interested to know what the forum thinks.

I haven't but I was quite thrilled today to get an email from Amazon listing it FIRST amongst a number of other 'Rolling Stones items' I might like to 'consider'.

Very cool.

Date: January 7, 2015 21:54

treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl

I haven't but I was quite thrilled today to get an email from Amazon listing it FIRST amongst a number of other 'Rolling Stones items' I might like to 'consider'.

Very cool.

That *is* cool. Likely due to the fine people here who have ordered it.
Hope you are "considering" it, treaclefingers.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 8, 2015 03:18

treaclefingers
swiss
treaclefingers
swiss
treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl
angee

Indeed, if I haven't the accuracy that the 'swiss' are famed for, I apologize. I am more 'heart' than that, not an automaton...perhaps just an emoticon? moody smiley

First "chat rooms," now "emoticons"? 1997 called it wants its hip lingo back

(and, note to self, 2001 called and wants its joke back)

Emoji is the "Most Popular Word Of 2014." thumbs up

But you were kinda making a point that the "ladies" were blabbering about spirituality and mysticism, while the guys were tawkin bout sensible things like box sets. If it had been true--i.e., such a display of sterotyped men-are-from-mars-women-are-from-venus behavior--it would be hilarious. As it was, men and women were talking about a range of things, none having to do with mystical topics. My non-spiritual non-mystical point simply was because a woman is psyched by Stones music--does that mean she's sexually turned on? If a guy is jumping around filled with life we don't make that presumption. And yeah, ha ha, guys are always turned on yuk yuk -- and they like tawking bout box sets too (heh heh she said box sets!)spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

As for "swiss" -- you've asked about my monicker over the years. As I've toldja: I'm American. No Swiss heritage. Three-quarters English-American from the 1620s and 1/4 peasant-sod-Irish. And I'm far from an automaton. Perhaps that could be inferred by my saying maybe I'm missing a chip, which I said because I'm not in agreement with the perspective that women Stones fans are "sexually thrilled" by the Stones. Saying that maybe I was missing a chip was my being self-deprecating. I may be precise, and of the mind, but am equally "heart." You're one of my favorite posters. Sorry if what I've written has chafed.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-08 04:39 by swiss.

Date: January 8, 2015 23:19

If anyone else wants to comment on the book here or write to me at my email on my profile, please do.
Also if you are on "Goodreads" or Amazon, comments are appreciated there too.

Thanks, everyone, for your support during the project and now on the book, so far.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-09 16:40 by angee.

Date: January 11, 2015 04:13

Finally up on Amazon.ca with quite a few good reviews already - congrats Angee!

Date: January 13, 2015 06:59

SomeTorontoGirl
Finally up on Amazon.ca with quite a few good reviews already - congrats Angee!

Thanks, STG, a few decent comments are posted! Any more from readers out there are appreciated.

It's now up on Amazon.fr for French fans and those thereabouts, oui!:
[www.amazon.fr]

smiling smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: January 13, 2015 19:48

Congrats! I'm gonna order my copy smiling smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 13, 2015 22:43

Been reading the pages available on amazon, and good luck and best wishes angee ,on what looks like a great read for Stones fans all over the world.

Will be getting it soon. >grinning smiley<

Date: January 17, 2015 16:29

sarahunwin, good to see you here, thanks.

crawdaddy, thanks for your comment after reading the pages, hope you enjoy the whole when you get it!
I'd appreciate your reactions on the Amazon review section, and anyone else's, of course. Those who
have written are much appreciated.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 25, 2015 16:10

Sorry to be a little late to the party...just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your book, Angee. I well remember talking to you about it in Newark a few years ago. You were working on getting it finished and now it's published, good for you. I posted a short review on Amazon, per stonesrule's suggestion. Wishing you all good things in the coming year, you are certainly off to a great start! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home