Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brown Sugar dedicated to jimi Hendrix
Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 14, 2014 16:01

I was working at home the other day and had a 1970 bootleg playing in the background when all of a sudden Jagger says they want to play a new song and its dedicated to Jimi Hendrix.

I can't remember which show this was. Any one have any info?

Re: Brown Sugar dedicated to jimi Hendrix
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 14, 2014 16:09

My guess would be either Cologne (the day that Hendrix died - 18th September) or one in the following days (Stuttgard, Paris)

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 14, 2014 16:49

Its cologne...good effort from jagger.
Another sad day..

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: December 14, 2014 19:26

At 45:50 min:

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: December 14, 2014 21:45

Also before Rambler in Paris (First show i think)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 14, 2014 22:14

I think Mick was more of a Hendrix fan than Keith. You never hear Keith talk about his playing without some hidden jab or sarcasm. For example:

"One guy can ruin an instrument. Jimi Hendrix, bless his heart – how I wish he was still around – almost inadvertently ruined guitar. Because he was the only cat who could do it like that. Everybody else just screwed it up, and thought wailing away (on the guitar) is the answer. But it ain't; you've got to be a Jimi to do that, you've got to be one of the special cats.”

Or he talks about how Jimi was unhappy he couldn't break out of his psychedelic wild man role. Never heartfelt praise about how friggin' well the man could play his guitar and write songs...I always found this strange coming from a man who puts so much importance in the music and songwriting.

I think he was probably a bit jealous, maybe a bit hurt over Jimi's relationship with Linda Keith, etc.

peace

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 14, 2014 22:35

"[Jimi] was the only cat who could do it like that. Everybody else just screwed it up, ...
you've got to be a Jimi to do that, you've got to be one of the special cats
” sounds like praise to me.
The only "jab or sarcasm" there is toward people who were failing at their attempts to play like Jimi.
Of course guitarists were terrified by Jimi. But that doesn't mean they didn't appreciate him.

Date: December 14, 2014 22:47

with sssoul
"[Jimi] was the only cat who could do it like that. Everybody else just screwed it up, ...
you've got to be a Jimi to do that, you've got to be one of the special cats
” sounds like praise to me.
The only "jab or sarcasm" there is toward people who were failing at their attempts to play like Jimi.
Of course guitarists were terrified by Jimi. But that doesn't mean they didn't appreciate him.

Yeah ok but most the others great guitarists of the time were a lot more direct in their praise of Jimi, and to be fair he started by stating that Jimi ruined guitar. A bit of a stretch since his influence was much greater than causing other guitarists to unsuccessfully wail away at their instruments.

It was his playing and writing on ballads like Little Wing, The Wind Cries Mary and Angel that had a huge effect on me and probably many others.

peace

Date: December 14, 2014 22:55

Naturalust
Yeah ok but most the others great guitarists of the time were a lot more direct in their praise of Jimi,
and to be fair he started by stating that Jimi ruined guitar.

Smile: To be fair, he started by stating "One guy can ruin an instrument.
Jimi Hendrix, bless his heart – how I wish he was still around"
before he got to "almost inadvertently ruined guitar because only he could do it like that."

Also, that quote you're cherrypicking from is hardly the only thing Keith ever said about Jimi,
and it was said in a context you haven't included any of. Maybe Keith was responding to a question about poor imitators.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-15 10:46 by with sssoul.

Date: December 14, 2014 23:21

with sssoul
Naturalust
Yeah ok but most the others great guitarists of the time were a lot more direct in their praise of Jimi,
and to be fair he started by stating that Jimi ruined guitar.

Smile: To be fair, he started by stating "One guy can ruin an instrument.
Jimi Hendrix, bless his heart – how I wish he was still around"
before he got to "almost inadvertently ruined guitar because only he could do it like that."

Ok you win, there is indeed some praise there. But I'm not saying that Keith didn't like or respect the guy, only that his praise of his playing and songwriting is pretty limited considering how much he received from other guitarists at the time and since then. Mick was pretty vocal about how blown away he was by Jimi, as was Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan and many many others. I'd love to see or hear a discussion with Keith talking about Jimi for any length of time.

Here are some MJ quotes about Jimi I got from the great timeisonourside site:

Jimi Hendrix could play the ass off anyone. I think he was as good a blues player as B.B. King is. I think he could do it standing on his head, you know what I mean?

- Mick Jagger, 1971

I loved Jimi Hendrix from the beginning. The moment I saw him, I thought he was fantastic. I was an instant convert. Mr. Jimi Hendrix is the best thing I've ever seen. It was exciting, sexy, interesting. He didn't have a very good voice but made up for it with this guitar.... I was quite friendly with him. He was a really sweet guy. A bit confused.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

peace

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 14, 2014 23:50

Jimi was always rather embarrassed that for a brief time he was using a Strat that belonged to Keith WITHOUT his permission...courtesy of Linda Keith.

Linda and Jimi knew each other for a couple of months. They were not romantically involved, as Jimi had another attachment at the time.

Linda was a true believer and major factor in helping him ultimately get involved with Chas Chandler and thus to England and...stardom. Linda's determination to help Hendrix was a miracle after so many turndowns from New York music big shots who partially recognized his talent but felt his color was "a negative with the kids."

When Keith got to know Jimi in England, he admired him and,like the other Stones, treated Jimi with respect.

Hendrix was a HUGE Stones fan.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 15, 2014 00:30

I thought Keith's comments on Hendrix's effect on other guitarists were absolutely spot-on. I got dragged to one of the Hendrix Experience shows earlier in the year, and all those guys trying to sound like Hendrix totally underlined the fact that only one guy could do it, and it wasn't them. But generations of guitarists have continued to try, and would have been better off forging their own paths. Kudos to Keith for being upfront about it.

Date: December 15, 2014 04:15

Aquamarine
I thought Keith's comments on Hendrix's effect on other guitarists were absolutely spot-on. I got dragged to one of the Hendrix Experience shows earlier in the year, and all those guys trying to sound like Hendrix totally underlined the fact that only one guy could do it, and it wasn't them. But generations of guitarists have continued to try, and would have been better off forging their own paths. Kudos to Keith for being upfront about it.

Well his influence on Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower and many many others was well placed. Of course you're going to get guys trying to sound like Jimi at a Hendrix Experience show. If the effect was trying to copy what Jimi was doing I can see your and Keith's point, but to the majority of guitarists the influence showed itself in more tasteful and subtle ways.

In fact it would be hard to find any guitarists of that and the next generation who weren't influenced by the man. Many, many who went on to do their own thing ,forged their own paths and only took from Jimi what was necessary to create their own thing.

peace

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: December 15, 2014 06:23

Good on Mick. According to Marianne Faithful in her book Jimi came on like gangbusters!

Date: December 15, 2014 10:49

Naturalust
In fact it would be hard to find any guitarists of that and the next generation who weren't influenced by the man.
Many, many who went on to do their own thing, forged their own paths and only took from Jimi
what was necessary to create their own thing.

They got a major dose of humility from Jimi as well. Still do, if I'm not mistaken.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: December 15, 2014 13:48

Stonesrule writes that Hendrix was a huge Stones fan, and I don´t doubt that, but I think he liked the Beatles even more. He did a couple of Beatles covers, Sgt Pepper & Day Tripper and he occasionally played small snippets of Beatles riffs live, such as I Feel Fine, but I never heard him play any Stones riff at all.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 15, 2014 14:27

Jimi did Satisfaction live (with Curtis Knight).

And Keith copied Jimi's riff on Mercy Mercy, didn't he?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-15 14:30 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 15, 2014 15:17

Svartmer
Stonesrule writes that Hendrix was a huge Stones fan, and I don´t doubt that, but I think he liked the Beatles even more.

He liked Dylan even more, and was very successful with at least two of his songs (LARS and AATW)

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 15, 2014 16:30

I love the threads related to Jimi Hendrix in general, and his relationship with the Stones in particular, on this board..

I always learn something new about Jimi, reading here. Reminiscing from those who were there gives new light every time, from such knowledgeable folks here..one in particular who knew Jimi well. many thanks..

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 15, 2014 16:36

I seem to remember Jimi breaking into the "Satisfaction" riff during an improvisation on one of his last European shows in September of 1970.

I shall have to give them a listen again to see if I can spot it.

Another Stones/Hendrix connection is that Ronnie Wood shared a flat with Jimi for a short time in London.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 15, 2014 16:36

JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Hey Joe / Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream)- (1969 UK TV)

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 15, 2014 16:56

Mick Jagger & Jeff Beck & Terry Bozzio-Foxy Lady (cover) Jimi Hendrix

Date: December 15, 2014 17:44

Koen
Svartmer
Stonesrule writes that Hendrix was a huge Stones fan, and I don´t doubt that, but I think he liked the Beatles even more.

He liked Dylan even more, and was very successful with at least two of his songs (LARS and AATW)

Yup, he also did "Can you please crawl out your window?" and "Drifter's escape".

Date: December 15, 2014 17:47

vudicus
I seem to remember Jimi breaking into the "Satisfaction" riff during an improvisation on one of his last European shows in September of 1970.

I shall have to give them a listen again to see if I can spot it.

Yup, in the middle of "Fire", he did couple of seconds of "Satisfaction", "Outside woman blues" and "Sunshine of your love", 17 july 1970 if memory serves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-15 17:49 by Milan.

Date: December 15, 2014 22:18

with sssoul
Naturalust
In fact it would be hard to find any guitarists of that and the next generation who weren't influenced by the man.
Many, many who went on to do their own thing, forged their own paths and only took from Jimi
what was necessary to create their own thing.

They got a major dose of humility from Jimi as well. Still do, if I'm not mistaken.

You got that right! And one of the more enduring things about Jimi was his own humbleness, made his obvious greatness even easier to swallow.

Hey marcovandereijk thanks for that great version of Satisfaction, those guys knew what to do with that tune, loved it.

As far as Mercy Mercy goes it's highly unlikely that Keith copied Jimi's riff on that since it was released in 1965, before Keith knew who Jimi Hendrix was but it sounds like the riff you are referring to could have been gleaned from the Beatles "Drive My Car".

peace

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 15, 2014 22:40

No Rolling Stone can play the guitar like Hendrix but Taylor does him justice .
I like this version:

Date: December 15, 2014 23:14

LuxuryStones
No Rolling Stone can play like Hendrix but Taylor does him justice .
I like this version:

Yeah that is a tasty one. I was there at that show, eyes glued to Taylors fretboard and I remember a few things about it.

1. He was playing it in the key of A, different from Jimi who I believe played it in B, although tuned down 1/2 step.

2. He wasn't using a pick, seemingly effortlessly breezing through those blues runs with his amazing right hand technique.

3. When he pulled out that slide, his tone was so sweet it sent shivers down my spine.

Thanks for the memories!

peace

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 15, 2014 23:22

I remember Keith in the early 70s talking about Jimi being a somewhat tragic figure, like Brian. I think he said something to the effect that too many leeches got around Jimi and Jimi didn't know how to get rid of them.

Date: December 16, 2014 01:45

runaway
JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Hey Joe / Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream)- (1969 UK TV)

Did he hear The Byrds's version of HJ before covering it? It is rather different.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2014 02:46

Keith talks about Jimi Hendrix.
Broadcast in 1981, but don't know when it was actually recorded.

Starting apprx. 1:15 in video:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1404
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home