Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Should Do A Tribute Concert
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 5, 2014 13:57

Maindefender
Doxa
What about a new studio album - and then ending it with a little snippet of Bobby's sax, a'la DIRTY WORK in regards to Stu... (but hope this time not being the best part in the whole album..winking smiley)

- Doxa

Best idea on this thread IMO. Maybe even better added to the rumoured Sticky Fingers Deluxe. There's got to be some vintage Bobby Keys on tape from that period.

That's even better idea - and within the boundaries of realism (unlike mine)! Bobby was really integrated to the band at the time, so it would be very fitting to remember him somehow in that context. A different take on his solo of "Brown Sugar" maybe (or did he nail that by one take)? Anyway, there must be some loose jams recorded.

- Doxa

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 5, 2014 15:29

Watching the River Flow - brilliant!

video: [m.youtube.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 5, 2014 15:44

NEWMAN
How long have you known the Stones? Not Gonna Happen.

Yup! Mac will get nothing and for the next string of gigs a pic of Bobby will be displayed on the super-screen while the band plays "Brown Sugar".

Nothing else will happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 15:45 by dcba.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:07

Long John Stoner
MisterDDDD
I would love to see , and think it perhaps more realistic, a tribute song or set for Bobby at their next gig. Opening (or closing) Rock in Rio-Vegas with perhaps a special guest or three would be nice.

It's nowhere near a certainty they'll be at the Vegas thing or anywhere else for that matter.

My bad.
I thought this was ALL just speculation.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 5, 2014 23:29

Crazyhorse
RollingFreak
Seems like they'd kind of be stretching for a tribute concert to those people. Don't get me wrong, I love them all, but they don't really scream of needing their own benefit. Seems fine to just acknowledge and think back on their importance over they years.

Save the tribute concerts for when Keith, Mick, Macca, Clapton, etc kick the bucket.

Stretching for Bobby Keys who has been with them on and off since he recorded Live With Me 1969? The year I was born. And as the Stones have said, integral part of their recorded music.
The Stones aren't a lovey dovey type band. So yes, I think its extremely stretching it, even more for Bobby Keys who has been with them on and off for over 40 years. Thats how impersonal of a band the Stones are. Blame them, not me, unless by some miracle they prove me wrong. But they won't.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 6, 2014 01:17

... Private feelings/behaviour are one thing. Public display is something else.
The Rolling Stones have pretty firm boundaries and they're entitled to.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 6, 2014 03:39

Nice Keith interview on rolling stone mag website today or yesterday on Bobby. Man, did they live it up!!! Also, a great Bobby Keys interview from 2012. He could tell a tale or two also...haha

Date: December 6, 2014 05:39

RollingFreak
Crazyhorse
RollingFreak

The Stones aren't a lovey dovey type band. So yes, I think its extremely stretching it, even more for Bobby Keys who has been with them on and off for over 40 years. Thats how impersonal of a band the Stones are. Blame them, not me, unless by some miracle they prove me wrong. But they won't.

Have to disagree with you 100 percent, take chuchs funeral for one, that was an amazing thing to do and only something true friends would do

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 6, 2014 06:19

Crazyhorse
A Tribute concert for Bobby Keys, Mac & Bobby Womack would be a beautiful thing. Any thoughts...?

They already are the world's number one Rolling Stones tribute band, playing all the Stones greatest hits. What more do you want from them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 06:32 by triceratops.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 6, 2014 07:25

Doxa
Maindefender
Doxa
What about a new studio album - and then ending it with a little snippet of Bobby's sax, a'la DIRTY WORK in regards to Stu... (but hope this time not being the best part in the whole album..winking smiley)

- Doxa

Best idea on this thread IMO. Maybe even better added to the rumoured Sticky Fingers Deluxe. There's got to be some vintage Bobby Keys on tape from that period.

That's even better idea - and within the boundaries of realism (unlike mine)! Bobby was really integrated to the band at the time, so it would be very fitting to remember him somehow in that context. A different take on his solo of "Brown Sugar" maybe (or did he nail that by one take)? Anyway, there must be some loose jams recorded.

- Doxa

I doubt there is a lot of Bobby on tape from that period that we haven't heard. As Doxa suggests he was probably did the majority of his recordings in one or two takes and them being done as over dubs on the basic tracks.

But alternate takes when the band was jamming and playing live would be great to hear. thumbs up

peace

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: December 7, 2014 05:18

triceratops
Crazyhorse
A Tribute concert for Bobby Keys, Mac & Bobby Womack would be a beautiful thing. Any thoughts...?

They already are the world's number one Rolling Stones tribute band, playing all the Stones greatest hits. What more do you want from them?

??????? What the F*.k are you on about?

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: December 7, 2014 18:18

Crazyhorse
NEWMAN
How long have you known the Stones? Not Gonna Happen.

Hey, I never said they had to sell tickets man. No need to be so negative. I believe the members of the Rolling Stones are true to their heart and those close to them.
Agree fully Crazyhorse, if its left to Keith it could happen.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 7, 2014 20:51

They did CM's funeral not because he was a well known sort of 'member' of the band like BK or Mac. So they didn't need to do it for "an audience"... They did that because they knew him very well and was a very nice guy who worked for them for years. Nothing impersonal about that...
Otherwise there are legal things. I never forget seeing these words in a letter from 'the company' or 'the office':
"The Rolling Stones do not endorse ..."
That may look harsh or selfish or rude or whatever but it has nothing to do with being personal or impersonal. It's just legal shit.
And "if its left to Keith it could happen." is totally bs. I'm not being rude to him but I'm being rude to you: if it's left to Keith nothing would happen.
Just look at what happened and what never happened...most of it is just wishful baloney. Looking at the facts will bring you more information.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 7, 2014 21:05

Whilst I appreciate not quite the same, the Stones have :
-In the early 70s done a benefit concert following a devastating earthquake in Nicaragua
-In the late 70s a concert for the blind (?) in the fall out from Keiths Toronto drug bust

Date: December 7, 2014 22:21

jlowe
Whilst I appreciate not quite the same, the Stones have :
-In the early 70s done a benefit concert following a devastating earthquake in Nicaragua
-In the late 70s a concert for the blind (?) in the fall out from Keiths Toronto drug bust

+ many other charity gigs as individual musicians in the 80s, 90s and 00s - as well as the 121212 concert two years ago.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home