Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What I Miss From Mick
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 23, 2005 19:40

I miss Mick's Between The Buttons type singing - just listen to Backstreet Girl.If Mick decided to sing that song he wouldn't be able to sing it like that. The singing on Satanic Majesties (We Love You, Jigsaw Puzzle, No Expectatons also) is rarely mentioned but i really miss it just as much as his more typical rock voice. His voice had the freshness of youth but it's a lot lower and less versitile now.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: June 23, 2005 19:56

Chelsea, I totally disagree about Mick not smiling these days. I remember thinking at one of the 2003 Wembley shows that he (and Keith) seemed to be almost smiling throughout the whole show. he was flashing the grin a lot at MSG too. He was actually far more stone-faced in the '60s.

Date: June 23, 2005 20:05

Mick had a more natural smile perhaps when he was younger.
Mick seems a bit harder these days and less endearing - he's shrewd and calculating.

Date: June 23, 2005 20:13

I think in many ways the opposite is true: he was a harder person then and has mellowed with age which shows in his smile. He may have been more idealistic in his youth, (though always very pragmatic) and more business-oriented since then but he used to be obsessed with being cool as Marianne Faithfull describes in her book whereas these days he's a lot more relaxed with himself.

Date: June 23, 2005 20:55

I don't think Mick could ever be relaxed in himself whereas i believe Keith is (much more anyway).
Mick in his youth was more spontaneous and now he is older he is desperately clinging to what he once was. It is an inenviable position to be in a way as he's never going to recapture the magic of his youth and it's only going to get even more difficult as time goes on. It is really the result of needing to live up to his strongly indentifiable image even when these days he's well past it. This is where Mick's credibility comes into question.
I believe he's harder and more uptight than he ever was in his youth because he's no longer achieving hits despite incoporating th latest fads/technology, he is reguarly panned by the critcs and it's only the Stones nostalgic value that keeps him in business. It must be hard to swallow for a bloke with such an enormous ego.
At least the Stones are still capable of selling out concert venues.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 23, 2005 21:26

The stones music is about sex, n'est ce pas? Mick's sensual dancing on the 81 tour was a highlight, esp on Black Limousines in the LSTNT video.

[p207.ezboard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-24 20:47 by Miss U..

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 23, 2005 23:43

teseverin, I just get the feeling that Jagger is always uptight now. He never looks relaxed anymore.
It is a tough position he is in. Much of what he did WAS based and steeped in youth and sex. And like cafaro syas it would be downright emabarrassing to watch a 60 year old man strut with his ahnds on his hips, bumping and grinding, whipping the floor with a studded belt etc.
The best rememdy I see is what we often havwe touched on here is that they (all the Stones) should scale way down and become a musician's group again. A blues band if you will. Forget about the spectacle, that IS a young man's game. Why do we talk about Keith's hair and his clothes? Because it is still an issue with him. It wouldn't be an issue anymore if they didn't have to entertain a stadium of people.
Just a stage, five members, the tunes. That is timelss and they can do that well into the grave without paying anyone no mind.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 24, 2005 00:35

Interesting thread.
60 year olds have sex too. When did we all get so uptight? Are we going to ban any songs about sex, or cover our ears at the concerts? BTW, take a look at Mick dancing to Midnite Rambler on 40 LICKS! He's got some new moves, and he totally in the moment, even Keith is getting a kick out of him & smiling at him! I think it must be difficult sometimes to be Mick, he gets put down alot by Keith fans, and it's ironic because Keith has his own opposite image to live up to, which he has also grown out of. Mick kept himself healthy so he could continue to make the music we all love, even if it doesn't fit in with that rock star image. He's always been more cautious & clear-headed.

[p207.ezboard.com]

Date: June 24, 2005 01:18

Well said Miss U. Also Chelsea, I just don't buy this idea that Mick's always uptight. Have you actually watched 'Being Mick'? Most of the time he is doing impressions, taking the piss or just having a laugh and seems completely relaxed.

What do you mean "WOULD be downright embarrassing to watch a 60 year old man..." etc. He is over 60 and he does still bump & grind and with more energy, style and grace than any 20 year old I can think of (male anyway).

I can see why you would want them to "scale down" & concentrate on the music but to me that sounds like you want to normalise them. As some famous critic once said "you can't take the sex out of the Rolling Stones". You can't and you shouldn't. "Mick is (still) sex"! This was the case in '69 & '72 and there were a lot of hard drugs floating around too but this didn't distract or detract from the music at all.

Edward, your last post just sounds constructed entirely from cliches, mainly the sort you'd come across in the Daily Mail: "never going to recapture the magic" "desperately clinging", "well past it" etc. This just doesn't square with the superhuman energy & charisma & amazing vocals I witnessed on the Licks tour.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 24, 2005 05:47

Yes I watche d"Being Mick" and like it a whole lot. It seemd to really concentrate on Jagger the man. On him making music and being a dad. What really impressed me was how tirelss he is. The way he kept plowing away at the current soloalbum. And this is aguy who really must have quite a full agenda as is. I loved watching this. That is a little of what I am talking about. Jagger (apart from not even having the family at that age) would never have consented to such a revealing documentary in the earlier age. Because his image was a different one to protect. There was more of a rebel thing going on.
I mean I admire Jagger to no end. I think it is incredible the way he has reconciled age and image at this stage in the game. The thing is no one can come to me and tell me what I feel. I only wrote "I get the feeling..." what else can I say? When I watch L&Git's completely different vibe I get from Jagger.

Date: June 24, 2005 10:47

Fair enough Chelsea, though it sounds like you are agreeing with me when you say "it is incredible the way he has reconciled age and image at this stage". I think you are right that he would never have consented to such a revealing doc. back in the early days but this is exactly what I was getting at when I said he was more uptight then and more relaxed now.

Date: June 24, 2005 10:58

He still has a lot, but I miss his arrogance on stage. Not only the body talk, but also in his singing...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 24, 2005 12:38

Edward Twining Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mick had a more natural smile perhaps when he was
> younger.
> Mick seems a bit harder these days and less
> endearing - he's shrewd and calculating.

Hi; yes, he sure is (shrewd and calculating).
But that´s not all his characteristics.

And he sure can fire a smile like in the good ole days.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home