Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What I Miss From Mick
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: June 22, 2005 16:45

No doubt about it, Mick is the ultimate front man. But I do miss the frequent little extras of "well, well" or "alright sister" or maybe the best one from Live Me Me on Ya-Ya's "ah-ah-ah"...it is part of what set him above all the other frontmen. I was lucky enough to catch them at Staples Centerin LA in 2002 when he seemd to do a lot more than usual and the crowd loved it. I also miss the occasional slow/slurred bit, especially between songs..."Welllcome to the Vooooodo Loouungge..."

So, if someone who has Mick's ear reads this....

Re: What I Miss From Mick
Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 22, 2005 16:56

I think i've bust a button on my trousers to pull down my blue....
Charlie's good tonight, ain't he?

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 22, 2005 17:58

Don't be so nostalgic! Fellows, it's 2005, the boys are on the road again alive and kicking, so enjoy the present...

Date: June 22, 2005 18:12

I enjoy the present, don't want him to repeat specific things, but just put more vocal accents in (just as I like Keith to keep playing cool licks)...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 22, 2005 18:13

I guess he needs to hit the bottle a little more?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 22, 2005 21:05

I miss Mick's younger voice. He was quite posh at one time. I also miss his girly smile - i found that very charismatic. I also miss his twists and twirls when he dances. I don't see Mick's effeminite mannerisms so much these days.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 22, 2005 21:06

Excellent point, that is what makes him a great singer. Would also like to see more articulate song intros/joking with the band.

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 22, 2005 21:10

"Aaaaawrait, Cheeee-cagoooo, Rock an rooooolll!"
Guess the album....smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 22, 2005 21:16

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess he needs to hit the bottle a little more?

Yep.
Keith says Mick´s incredibly funny while drunk.

I may the only one in this thread that doesnt miss Mick´s past gayish manners;
let the man be a man while over 60... Is´nt the saddest thing in the world ageing gay farts (read: Sir Reginald Dwight).

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 22, 2005 21:27

Am i the only heterosexual male who found young Mick's mannerisms and dancing attractive?
Mick definitely appealed to both sexes - i don't see it in his dancing at all these days.

Date: June 22, 2005 21:38

Ed, you better stop this. Please.
Charlies words on seeing Mick´s bum for 40 years is the best in this issue.

The word on your pasion, Ed, isnt heterosexuality, nor homo- or bi- but pan-sexuality... Nuthin wrong; but I prefer Charlies triceps while drummin or Keiths non-girlish smile.

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: June 22, 2005 22:41

I miss his growl. His slurring and sometimes forgetting the words. His classic bent-over-the-mic, hands-on-hips delivery.

But most of all, I miss him and Keith sharing the mic.

It's GREAT to have them still touring, of course. But those really were the days.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Date: June 22, 2005 23:09

Edward Twining wrote
"I miss Mick's younger voice"

Edward, he is still a great singer (just listen to his falseto at the age of 60+) but now is also an wise singer. To be honest, i don't miss his "not singing"on HTW and YCAGWYW from LYL album, I don't miss his terrible singing on Hyde Park's "Satisfaction", on Brown Sugar and JJF from LYL, on Still Life's "Satisfaction". I don't miss his out of tune sing on SL's "Start Me Up" and LYL's SFTD. Why some fans love to idealize always the past and underate always the present?

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 23, 2005 00:24

Mick's tone in his singing is still very good, and his falsetto. Better than the hyde park days and alot of 70s bootlegs. But it's gotten more "professional" and a bit less spontaneous without those added little "well, wells" & "allright sugar-pop" things, those little whispers that send you over the edge of delight...
Edward, good point about the dancing and appealing to both sexes! That is the key of what makes the stones unique; they are not a macho band. And Keith is the foil to Mick's prancing.
Maybe it all has to do with their becoming more "politically correct" in shows over the years, what with the intergenerational audience, and they're getting on in age. Notice they don't play too many of those old misogynistic tunes live anymore.

[p207.ezboard.com]

Date: June 23, 2005 00:45

The political correctness might have a connection with Micks & Keiths daughters getting way too aware to let the worst stuff pass without objections.

This faggot-playing leads nowhere imho. You may be tolerant, we may support homos Rights etc etc, but to say Stones isnt a macho band is doubtful, still imho.

Glad to be Gay?
The movement with male rock frontfigures playing with gender was to be seen in particular in period circa 1972-1975 & is still alive in heavy rock & parts of metal scene. It changed the Western World in good & bad ways. It seems to has its roots in the 60´s & the hippie era, when the Stones - esp. Glimmer Twins & Brian - borrowed their girlfriends clothes.
Bill had the longest hair during the first years though.

I have too many acquaintances that died of AIDS to glorify free sex or finding a growing share of the population of Babylon/Brave New World being a good sign.
...Yet you cant take the rough ("girlish" according to some hillbillies during the 60´s) unisex style from the Stones; then it wouldnt be the Stones.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: June 23, 2005 02:59

BLUESPEYER, I agree, except for the forgetting of the lyrics! The growl, the sexy swagger, the attitude has evolved over the years and has become more tame, perhaps more sophiticated and yet still edgy. I do miss the strut and the dancing of the 70's though and the swishing of his butt! I never found it effeminate, I thought it was very suggestive and it made us stay rivetted to the MICKSTER'S every move. ( not that I look AWAY NOW).

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: June 23, 2005 03:05

I miss Mick's "Skirts."

Btw, he still forgets his words, sometimeswinking smiley

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: June 23, 2005 05:55

mick is the Rolling Stone that has improved the most with age,
charlie is a close second.

Date: June 23, 2005 07:45

Ever see Mick go from one side of the stage to the other and, about half away across, just stop and do a snake charmer move? My girlfreind screamed when he did it during Tumbling Dice in 98!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 23, 2005 11:16

Although Mick really is a "wiser singer" nowadays but there are some things that I miss in 'young' Mick's voice. Surely he is technically better nowadays to deliver slow ballad sort of songs ("Wild Horses", "Angie", "No Expectations" etc.) than in good ol' days, but plain truth is that he can not anymore come terms with the fast rock numbers ("Rocks Off", "Rip This Joint", "WHen The Whip Comes Down", etc.) - he just turns that autopilot voice of his on and tries as much as possible to save his voice - such a smart move, of course. The problem is that the result sound too clean, cold and boring; he is not there giving something from him, expressing himself, but just trying to cope with and get over it. That sort of negative aspect of professionalism also affects his stage movements, dancing routine etc.

But a living miracle he surely issmiling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: June 23, 2005 12:32

Doxa is 100% right. Mick is not honest, has nothing to say, is boring, on bad dates even to laugh about. And why I read this page, and still go to shows? It's like what Luke could have felt: hope to see Darth Vader unmasked, for the last time.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 23, 2005 12:56

Gaigai, I think criticism is not your cup of tea. I am sorry if I offend your feelings. Let's be politically correct then:

Mick Jagger is better than ever, the way he for example interprets pieces like "Rocks Off" is just a mark of excellence and taste - who would like to hear any high-note screamings in 2005 anyway, when one can do it low way, and let the back-up singers do their bit! And moveover, the professionalism of his stage routines and movements, with help of the best dance experts, can anyday beat his young amateurish, instinctive, natural movements of his young days. And he does not dress up as a drag queen or a footballer anymore, but wears high quality clothes, chosen by best possible experts for him. His face even looks nicer, with than masculine experience touch on it, than back in 60's or 70's. smiling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-23 12:57 by Doxa.

Date: June 23, 2005 14:35

Doxa, Mick never performed perfecytly "Rocks Off". Remember the 1972 versions, when the song was a new track. I think he still is great on fast rock mumbers like "Neighbors" or "WTWCD".
Yes, band's sound became clean (to me, since 1981 and not since 1989). Fortunately!! In my opinion boring was the frivolous play and the "a bit influenced by the punk felling" style of "Love You Live" period. To me Mick was bad then, in the years of the "dirty" but so unstable playing...

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: June 23, 2005 14:40

Well, Doxa. You may be right if rock and roll has to be about high quality clothes, wellpayed "best dance experts" and so on. I think thats fine for Jacko or Britney. I hate to see a rocknroll singer trying and trying - to seem cool. Acting on stage is ok if its extravaganza (like football-dresses for example), funny and isnt about showing myself or anyone else, that "i can still paint the town all the colors.....". But the rough PC-concert was very promising for the new tour for me to.
God bless ya
Gaigai

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 23, 2005 14:42

Doxa, now it sounds like you're backpedaling. You made a good point in the first post. The paragraph you just mentioned in second post is IMOI actuyally a cricism. It reeks of cold calculated professionalism. That is the one thing I see now in Jagger. the reason I think most of 40 Flix is actually very boring. Jagger while singing well (like That's how strong, and Worried bout you) is so professional. I believe it has always been business with him but in the past he also got down and dirty in the proccess. these days there's no way he will ever get dirty again. Maybe that's a big difference beteween him and Keith. reason Keith takes so much abuse these days, well deserved I might say, is because Keith will go to his grave "dirty". He (Keith) sacrifices himself, his body,his voice, for his art. Jagger would NEVER do that. That is why he)Jagger) shines today.
What I really mis about Jagger is that he doesn't ever smile anymore. rarely after a sonf will he crack a smile, and then it;'s more in a self congratulatory manner as if to say to himself "I STILL can pull it off". I hate that when he's dancing around he always has that serious look on his face. he looks stupid.
The finest moment in all of 40 Flix, the one absolute genuine moment IMO is when they pile into the van after the first practice gig and Keith and Jagger are all flushed and they look positively giddy. They look like little kids, the two lifelong friends who just can not believe that they do what they do, and the world shows up for them again and again.

Date: June 23, 2005 17:39

Doxa, Mick never performed perfecytly "Rocks Off". Remember the 1972 versions, when the song was a new track. I think he still is great on fast rock mumbers like "Neighbors" or "WTWCD".
Yes, band's sound became clean (to me, since 1981 and not since 1989). Fortunately!! In my opinion boring was the frivolous style of "Love You Live" period. To me Mick was bad then, in the years of the "dirty" but so unstable playing...

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 23, 2005 17:46

As for Mick's dancing and moves in the 70s..............it would be sort of disgusting to see a man in his 60s grinding and doing the whole hands on the hips thing. I think he does just fine for his age.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 23, 2005 17:56

MJ is not the same guy he was years ago. He sings well, but does not have his old range he had in the 60's. This is not a cut to Mick at all. People evolve as they get older and of course so do musicians/performers. We will never see the Stones as they used to be except for in brief moments. Many of us fans who have seen this band evolve over the past 40 years will see bits during a song where we get transformed back in time for an instant. A move from Mick or Keith, Charlie banging back there on his drum kit, some notes from Ronnie. I remember at the Muenchen Circus Krone gig Mick leaping at the end of Can't Turn You Loose. It was like he got lost in the moment and became the old Mick just for a moment. It really seemed quite spontaneous and was a joy to watch. This of course was captured on film in the 4 Flicks bonus section. Ronnie was just cracking up when he saw Mick jumping and joined in with a few jumps of his own. I always felt the best Mick moves were back in the 1969-1970 period. He will still flash one of those occaisionally. In this time he was absolutely just teasing the fans and inciting them to react. After Altamont those moves and Micks attempts to just reel in the crowd kind of went away. I think we realized his power and simply backed off thinking it could get dangerous. Marvelous to watch though. The Gimme Shelter movie is the best place to catch that magic. This was the band at one of their peaks, the pinnacle to many fans.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 23, 2005 18:33

sorry, stickydion, couldn't resist. Still my favorite album...

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 23, 2005 18:59

Actually he can still be a great performer although the 70s seem centuries ago. Thanks God the 80's and early 90s are over.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home