Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Beady Eye have split up
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2014 02:29

SilverBlanket
treaclefingers
SilverBlanket
Yawn, the haters out in force to have a pop at Liam Gallagher and Beady eye.

'the haters'?

You're quoting Taylor Swift?

Not sure that's lending any gravitas to your observation.

I'm quoting Taylor Swift? News to me baby.One of your faves I assume? smileys with beer

Oh, I thought you were being ironic...you actually talk like that?

Sorry, didn't know.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 28, 2014 02:56

I wanted to like Beady Eye but just couldn't. Tame Impala, Black Mountain, Black Keys, etc... are all far superior rocknroll bands.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 28, 2014 04:54

Taylor Swift....
I didn't know anything about her 'til last week, she's pretty funny..........

TAYLOR SWIFT's Fans *Die* at 1989 Secret Listening Parties - The Graham Norton Show on BBC AMERICA

JOHN CLEESE Insults TAYLOR SWIFT's Cat Olivia Benson - The Graham Norton Show on BBC AMERICA

Cricketer KP Talks 'Chest Matches' (cricket test matches) with confused Taylor Swift - The Graham Norton Show

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 04:58 by EddieByword.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: October 28, 2014 06:23

She is hott as fire!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:10

One of the rare bands for me, as in they broke up before I ever listened to one of their songs. Perhaps the 10th Oasis reunion will be announced soon?

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:13

geordiestone
Oasis defined a moment in time in the UK and Ireland between 94-97, i think it's a little bit sad and disrespectful to trample all over some peoples memories on here. If you don't like them fine but i for one would rather hear from iorr posters with something good to say. It's almost impossible to overstate what a big deal they once were here. I think the Beady Eye break up was kinda inevitable but i doubt this is the last we've heard from Liam, Gem and Andy and think it's gonna be a really exciting emotional time when Oasis do return as they most surely will. I'd heard rumours it was gonna be next year for the Whats The Story 20th anniversary. I'm keeping everything crossed. There is way too much banality in the music world nowadays, Liam and Noel were always entertaining.

Agreed, in the mid 90s they were absolutely a cultural force, not simply a musical one. Arguably not since the 60s had one band become so omnipresent; as you said, it's impossible to overstate just how big they were. The albums sold in the millions, at one point they had 4 or 5 songs in the Top-20 in the UK (or was in Top 40), they were in the tabloids most everyday; an album release was not simply news, but in the case of 'Be Here Now', a massive cultural event. I recall every UK and Irish media outlet weeks before being saturated with Oasis news.

It's also hard to overstate how far they fell, musically; their concerts were still lauded and attended by the million (stadium tours..etc), but musically it's a cliche (with some truth) that they made two great albums, followed by 5 mediocre efforts. I don't think that's true, they still wrote some great songs - squandered so many on B-Sides even into the 2000s, while the albums were a mix of the inspired and the insipid. Case in point, 2002s 'Heathen Chemistry' - killer B Sides all, while 4 or 5 from the album were very average. Had the B Sides been on the album, the effect would have been very different to what it was.

Lyrically they were atrocious, Noel's dependence on the rhyming dictionary equated to songs with virtually zero meaning; some exceptions of course.

Beady Eye were average, their two albums did however contain some very good tracks it must be said, albeit along with a lot of filler. However, they were better than people expected them to be, most reviews of the first album a testament to that. I saw them live twice; the crowd were somewhat bored during the 2013 show - too many slow/dirge-like new tunes, the roof came off when they played the Oasis songs though.

Liam is a gobshite, no question, an absoloute caricature rock star, badly behaved by design almost; it was so practised and derivative. He was entertaining though, loudmouth, yes, gobshite yes, but entertaining in a dunderheaded rock star way; a Liam interview always had some great quotes along with the usual bluster, "Beady Eye are the greatest band...", "I am the reincarnation of John Lennon..".

Oasis did have a lot of great songs, I liked them, even the later albums - besides the filler, every album had at least a few nuggets and always great B Sides; and I will go see them during the reunion tour which will surely happen. They were not a great band, the Manic Street Preachers were far superior I thought, in every way, but Oasis were entertaining. And when the songs were good, they were very good. They were lucky; that combination of bullsh*t and the initial quality albums sustained them through the many lean years that followed. They are remembered well by many, as when they do return, it will be to packed stadia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 11:19 by IrelandCalling4.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home