Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Was Altamont gig part of the 1969 US tour?
Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: October 25, 2014 21:59

ahhhh Rolling Stone- Let It Bleed issue... slowly I turned step by step inch by inch!!!
The article/entire edition is for most part total bull****. I recall I was surprised to see quotes from me in the story. I never spoke with Rolling Stone and my quotes were fabricated by them. I thought about suing but felt the waste of time and money wouldn't be worth it.

An example of just one of the many there are: "Any proceeds from the film, Schneider said, would be used first to pay back neighboring ranchers who had property damaged (they're filing the lawsuit anyhow), to recoup the costs of the film, and to pay back those persons who made donations to the festival so it could be set up in the first place."
Total Bull****. Never talked to them and never would have said that to anyone!! It made no sense based on the facts of the time...

The Joker
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: November 3, 2014 06:12

Of course there was a major car brand involved. All arranged by that portly fellow.
Whatta man!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 13, 2014 06:53

I just read on the Rocks Off site (Jimi Hendrix page) that Jimi was at Altamont. Is this true? Swiss, do you know about this? Thanks

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 13, 2014 08:57

Naturalust
I just read on the Rocks Off site (Jimi Hendrix page) that Jimi was at Altamont. Is this true? Swiss, do you know about this? Thanks

Naturalust,

I could answer that one of several ways:

(1) "I had not heard this before--it's been an extremely well-kept secret for 45 years, if true"
OR
(2) "From what I understand, Jimi Hendrix was either en route to Toronto, already in Toronto, for a December 8th drug trial"
OR
(3) "What a load of hooey!"

I'd be interested in what bmuseed (or even stonesrule) would have to say.

I've reached out to the person who wrote that on rocksoff, and asked where that came from.

thanks - hope you're well smiling smiley
swiss

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 13, 2014 09:34

I think that Jimi Hendrix was backstage with the Stones at Madison Square Garden in 1969.

Date: November 13, 2014 09:37

Thank You swiss! Appreciate your effort. You rock! peace

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 13, 2014 09:44

runaway
I think that Jimi Hendrix was backstage with the Stones at Madison Square Garden in 1969.

I believe that qualifies for a "True But Irrelevant" award. You can collect your star spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 13, 2014 09:47

runaway

He was - Nov 27 - his last bday.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 13, 2014 10:39

with sssoul
runaway

I believe that qualifies for a "True But Irrelevant" award. You can collect your star spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I think it is relevant: Jimi was in New-York prior his Toronto trial.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 13, 2014 12:20

runaway
with sssoul
runaway

I think it is relevant: Jimi was in New-York prior his Toronto trial.

You can collect your star anyway.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:02

Now lets not ruin the thread.
The poster on Rocks Off may have been confusing the New York legendary shows with Altamont.
I highly doubt Jimi was there...nothing has ever been mentioned before and no footage gives any hint.

Actually, a question for ron or swiss - there seems to be no celebrities at altamont other than the artists who performed ??

I guess just hells angels and hippies!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:24

Hendrix lived in New York. He planned to see the Stones there...had no reason to go to Altamont. Jimi and the Stones were good friends and he was backstage at Madison Square Garden. As the show started he waited in the wings and then
had a "hidden spot" on stage behind some amps.

Really "irrelevant" to this thread focused on Altamont.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: November 13, 2014 19:08

Jimi was not at Altamont. Definitely at MSG--lot's of pics of that visit.
Jimi was amazing!

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: November 13, 2014 19:59

CELEBS AT ALTAMONT? WELL TIMOTHY LEARY WHO HAD CRITICAL WORDS FOR SAM CUTLER.
"THE MICROPHONE WAS ABUSED"
MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY, MICHELLE PHILLIPS, GRAHAM PARSONS GIRLFRIEND AT THE TIME.

Date: November 13, 2014 20:18

Since the Rocks Off site stated that Jimi was at Altamont it became relevant to me. Probably just a mistake, but if he was there I think that would have been pretty big news. peace

Date: November 13, 2014 20:45

Naturalust

Since the Rocks Off site stated that Jimi was at Altamont it became relevant to me. Probably just a mistake, but if he was there I think that would have been pretty big news. peace

Naturalust,

I'm hoping the "irrelevant" comment was aimed at the person mentioning that Jimi Hendrix was at MSG.

I am glad you pointed out that on one of the largest Rolling Stones' fan sites there is a claim in
the section on the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix that Jimi Hendrix attended Altamont. There's
enough misinformation out there already about Altamont. And, once a myth gets posted online it
can spread and eventually be accepted as fact. It's difficult to untangle once it gets repeated
often enough. So, I look forward to hearing from the person who created the section on RocksOff
about Jimi Hendrix, and having him remove that content. It's not a "huge deal," but it's also easily
nipped in the bud, and remedied.

- swiss

Date: November 13, 2014 20:46

Can't see Gazza stating this. Must have been a poster who was mixing up things?

Date: November 13, 2014 20:47

slakka

hi Slakka,

Michelle Phillips attend Altamont with Graham Parsons, but was not his "girlfriend at the time."

- swiss

Date: November 13, 2014 21:06

swiss
Naturalust

Naturalust,

I'm hoping the "irrelevant" comment was aimed at the person mentioning that Jimi Hendrix was at MSG.

I am glad you pointed out that on one of the largest Rolling Stones' fan sites there is a claim in
the section on the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix that Jimi Hendrix attended Altamont. There's
enough misinformation out there already about Altamont. And, once a myth gets posted online it
can spread and eventually be accepted as fact. It's difficult to untangle once it gets repeated
often enough. So, I look forward to hearing from the person who created the section on RocksOff
about Jimi Hendrix, and having him remove that content. It's not a "huge deal," but it's also easily
nipped in the bud, and remedied.

- swiss

Thanks swiss for expressing my thoughts better than I did, and following up! peace

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 13, 2014 21:17

Robert Altman at Altamont (Photo by Joyce Mancini)

Date: November 13, 2014 21:25

DandelionPowderman
Can't see Gazza stating this. Must have been a poster who was mixing up things?

I certainly didn't say or imply it was Gazza. It's not a post or thread--it's a separate Hendrix
section of RocksOff. It's not that big a deal...I'm not sweating it, but would be good to remove
the statement unless the author knows something that no one else does. winking smiley

- swiss

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:42

swiss
slakka

hi Slakka,

Michelle Phillips attend Altamont with Graham Parsons, but was not his "girlfriend at the time."

- swiss

Gram

Date: November 14, 2014 03:34

Rokyfan
swiss
slakka

hi Slakka,

- swiss

Gram

I was using slakkas's wording. I should have put quotes around "Graham Parsons" winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-14 03:34 by swiss.

Date: November 15, 2014 22:19

Naturalust
Thanks swiss for <snip> following up! peace

Update: the mention of Hendrix at Altamont has been removed from Rocksoff. The author didn't remember his source and figured it was unlikely.

- swiss

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 16, 2014 18:30

Palace Revolution 2000
Doxa
Palace Revolution 2000
The Gimme Shelter film really paints a good picture of how the festival came to be. From what we know the Stones felt like they wanted to give back to the US after the great tour. Maybe they felt that since they missed Woodstock, and that they had done Hyde Park in UK, they should do their own festival in USA. Mel Belli was instrumental in putting it together, the Grateful Dead manger too, and Mike Lang is seen too. Maybe one of the main problems was that there was not really anyone in charge.
Also , it was the 60's and things were done differently than nowadays. matter of fact, the lessons learned from Altamont played a big part in bringing about the first changes in tightening up these huge get-togethers. It had to be obvious to the movers and shakers that this concept was here to stay, that the market, and the music was only going to get bigger.

GIMME SHELTER movie really paints a good picture but also a kind of only picture we have of whatever involved with Altamont. Most of us, I think, do think the whole thing in terms of that movie. if I have understood right, one of the leading ideas in swiss's project is to offer different perspectives into it, or at least widen up the given perspective.

But that said, I agree with you said of its contextual, oddly lead, experimental nature, which, in the end, gave a lesson for upcoming events like that.

- Doxa

Doxa, there is a book on Altamont. I THINk it is called "Let it Bleed" which allso tells a good bit of story.
And then of course Sam Cutlers' book, where I earned a lot about the Grateful Dead's manager.
There is one book, and I can't recall which one that really tells us what a douche John Jaymes was. Ronnie Schneider would know a lot more about that.
That being said the two projects by Schneider and Swiss sound exciting.

Um, don't forget about the Stanley Booth book. He was there and travelled with them on the tour. He uses Altamont concert and aftermath as a running theme in his book, and includes dialogue from Mick, Schneider and Cutler.

So some good insight there on the what and the why of free Altamont concert.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-16 18:31 by nightskyman.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 30, 2014 03:52

I am bumping this thread but didn't feel like dedicating a thread to the fact, on New Year's Eve, Dec. 31, Turner Classic Movies is playing Gimme Shelter, in fact, they are going to be playing classic rock movies all night.

[www.tcm.com]

All times, EST:

8 PM Elvis on tour, '72
9:45 PM Hard Days Night
11:30 PM Gimme Shelter
1:15 AM Tommy
3:15 AM Jimi Hendrix (sounds like some film from Monterrey, maybe Isle of Wight.)
5 AM Total Balalaika Show with the Leningrad Cowboys singing with the Red Army Chorus.

We'll see as we get closer to NY eve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-30 03:52 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 30, 2014 10:49

BroomWagon
I am bumping this thread but didn't feel like dedicating a thread to the fact, on New Year's Eve, Dec. 31, Turner Classic Movies is playing Gimme Shelter, in fact, they are going to be playing classic rock movies all night.

[www.tcm.com]

All times, EST:

8 PM Elvis on tour, '72
9:45 PM Hard Days Night
11:30 PM Gimme Shelter
1:15 AM Tommy
3:15 AM Jimi Hendrix (sounds like some film from Monterrey, maybe Isle of Wight.)
5 AM Total Balalaika Show with the Leningrad Cowboys singing with the Red Army Chorus.

We'll see as we get closer to NY eve.

Thanks for the update. As "fond" as I might be of Gimme Shelter, I don't know that it would be my flick of choice to be ringing in the New Year. It's not that I'm superstitious, and I'm also being only half facetious, but the whole thing is so dark, really.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: December 30, 2014 20:37

Hi Swiss,
You say you are making a radio documentary and film on Altamont. Are you looking for more footage? I have extra footage of many of the acts and footage also of CSYN who were not seen in the G.S.movie and more footage of the Stones not seen in the G.S. movie. If you are interested let me know. You can email me at jkarnbach@nyc.rr.com ...Where and when will the Radio part be broadcasted?
BTW: I belive Altamont was added as a special thank you to America,there was many problems in figuring out "exactly" where to hold the concert.

swiss
MingSubu
bmuseed

My book is going thru the final edit and I will definitely have a lot of surprises and facts for all of you to judge.. I have the paperwork to prove my facts!

Are you really coming out with a book about Altamont? If so, cool and can't wait to read it.

Isn't another iorrian writing a book about Altamont too?

Great to hear, Ronnie. When you say "signed for the event," what do you mean? I'm
going out on a limb and guessing Michael Lang? tho it could have been you?

I'm producing a radio documentary and film about Altamont. The radio documentary was
slated for broadcast this Dec 5, but will be delayed. My beloved is critically ill, and I've
spent most of my "free" time outside of my day job with him the past 5-6 months.
He keeps telling me "Finish the piece!" and I will--but doing so requires a few more
interviews, out of town, and I need to leave San Francisco for a few weekends and do
it, and then finish the final edit.

best
swiss

Date: December 31, 2014 00:48

VideoJames
Hi Swiss,
You say you are making a radio documentary and film on Altamont. Are you looking for more footage? I have extra footage of many of the acts and footage also of CSYN who were not seen in the G.S.movie and more footage of the Stones not seen in the G.S. movie. If you are interested let me know. You can email me at _______ ...Where and when will the Radio part be broadcasted?
BTW: I belive Altamont was added as a special thank you to America,there was many problems in figuring out "exactly" where to hold the concert.

Hi there, VideoJames -- thanks for the note. Altamont-centric radio documentary and film documentary. I will email you.
Thanks again - Happy New Year!
swiss

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 31, 2014 11:28

Good work VJ and swiss...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home