Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame INDUCTEES!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 9, 2014 15:43

Lou Reed
Sting
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
War
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Marvelettes
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
The Spinners
Green Day
Nine Inch Nails
Chic
N.W.A.
The Smiths
Kraftwerk
Bill Withers .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-16 10:27 by tatters.

Re: OT: This Year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 9, 2014 15:54

I voted for:
1. NIN
2. Stevie Ray Vaughan
3. Lou Reed
4. Green Day
5. Joan Jett

All worthwhile, IMO. Some will disagree but whatever gets you through the night is alright!smiling smiley

PS: Happy birthday, John Lennon! smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-09 16:01 by crholmstrom.

Date: October 9, 2014 16:01

I'm voting for all the disco, rap, and soul artists. There's far too much rock and roll in the rock and roll hall of fame already.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 9, 2014 16:02

Unfathomable that Lou Reed isn't already in there. Obviously must be through Velvet Underground.

Date: October 9, 2014 17:23

treaclefingers
Unfathomable that Lou Reed isn't already in there. Obviously must be through Velvet Underground.

The VU were inducted in 1996. Reed, Cale and Tucker played together for the final time at the induction ceremony.

Re: OT: 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:24

What a joke! No Deep Purple, Doobies and Humble Pie.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:26

tatters
I'm voting for all the disco, rap, and soul artists. There's far too much rock and roll in the rock and roll hall of fame already.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:26

I say this every year but THIS has to be the worst class of nominations yet.

Date: October 9, 2014 18:30

Getting like the Baseball hall of fame.

How can you put Joan Jett etc with the Stones, Beatles etc..

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:33

Hmmm Joan Jett nominated before Genesis, The Moody Blues, Chicago. Whats this word coming too?

Date: October 9, 2014 18:38

The worst nominations ever

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:38

More Hot Rocks
Hmmm Joan Jett nominated before Genesis, The Moody Blues, Chicago. Whats this word coming too?
Genesis is in. But so many others aren't. Yours included, as well as Deep Purple. Its insane.

My personal 5 would be:

Lou Reed
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Green Day

Thats just made up of people I have to pick to make the best of a bad situation. Only 2 of those names are Hall Of Fame worthy, but again that will be different to many people. There's a ton of crap on this year's list though while snubbing SO many.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:42

Yes,Chicago,Deep Purple,

But yet we get Green Day and NWA ???

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 9, 2014 18:45

black n blue
The worst nominations ever

But it will be the Best SHOW Ever.

I don't think that I could come up with five off the list that I think would deserve inclusion.

Lou Reed and Joan Jett would be the only one's that I would vote for.

I'd vote for SRV for the blues hall-of-fame but not r&rhof.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 9, 2014 18:46

RollingFreak
More Hot Rocks
Genesis is in. But so many others aren't. Yours included, as well as Deep Purple. Its insane.

My personal 5 would be:

Lou Reed
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Green Day

Thats just made up of people I have to pick to make the best of a bad situation. Only 2 of those names are Hall Of Fame worthy, but again that will be different to many people. There's a ton of crap on this year's list though while snubbing SO many.

Sorry. you are right. My mistake.

Date: October 9, 2014 18:47

Nothing against The Spinners but what about other top 40 bands like Three Dog Night and The Guess Who?

Date: October 9, 2014 18:49

SRV played with the rock folks. David Bowie ring a bell

Date: October 9, 2014 18:51

More Hot Rocks
Nothing against The Spinners but what about other top 40 bands like Three Dog Night and The Guess Who?

I swear they use a dart board

Date: October 9, 2014 19:14

black n blue
More Hot Rocks

I swear they use a dart board
This nomination list is one of their most random ever. Especially coming after a few years of at least begrudgingly inducting people that should have been in awhile ago. KISS, Rush, big names that are notably absent. The fact that this is the list and Deep Purple isn't on it is their middle finger to the last two years of kinda sorta progress. This list just shows they pick whatever irrelevant act goes in.

Date: October 9, 2014 19:15

black n blue

I'm aware that Stevie did record an album with Bowie. He also turned Bowie down when offered the opportunity to tour with him.

If I'm not mistaken, he played a whole lot MORE with the blues folks than he did with the rock folks.

Interestingly enough, there are more than a few blues purists who would say that SRV is to "rock" to be in the blues hall of fame.

I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve to be in one, either or both. All I was saying is that, if I had the ability to vote as to who gets in where, I would vote him in the blues hof and not in the rock & roll hof. If the powers that be decide that he should be in the r&rhof, I'll have far fewer questions about that decision than I have for some of their disco/rap/dance choices. Personally I think it would be cool to have a Texas bluesman in the r&rhof. I'm just not sure how appropriate it would be - as if appropriateness is actually a factor at the rock & roll hall of fame.

Note: I wouldn't be surprised if your dart board theory where shown to be true. Possibly a "paint splatter" technique as well. Although it really feels like cow flop/patty bingo at this point.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: October 9, 2014 19:33

All of today's popular music can trace it's DNA back to either Chuck Berry or Kraftwerk, and yet the latter is still waiting to be inducted...

Date: October 9, 2014 19:42

mr_dja
black n blue

I'm aware that Stevie did record an album with Bowie. He also turned Bowie down when offered the opportunity to tour with him.

If I'm not mistaken, he played a whole lot MORE with the blues folks than he did with the rock folks.

Interestingly enough, there are more than a few blues purists who would say that SRV is to "rock" to be in the blues hall of fame.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Seriously, I almost can't keep a straight face if you're gonna argue about Stevie Ray Vaughn being "rock" when NWA are on the ballot and Madonna, Grandmaster Flash, and the Beastie Boys are already in. Whether you agree with Stevie being in or not, he's more pure rock than most on that list.

Date: October 9, 2014 20:16

RollingFreak
mr_dja
black n blue

Peace,
Mr DJA

Seriously, I almost can't keep a straight face if you're gonna argue about Stevie Ray Vaughn being "rock" when NWA are on the ballot and Madonna, Grandmaster Flash, and the Beastie Boys are already in. Whether you agree with Stevie being in or not, he's more pure rock than most on that list.

Seriously, I don't know who is arguing about SRV being "rock" in comparisson to other artists on the ballot or already in the hall. As for myself, I wouldn't disagree with your statement that he's 'more pure rock' than most on the current list of nominees.

Possibly if you were to reread the five sentances that I typed which follow the one's you quoted in your post you'd realize that I would have far fewer questions about SRV's inclusion in the R&RHOF than I do about MANY of the current members and nominees - your examples were good but just the tip of the iceberg of people who I would have never voted for.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 9, 2014 20:24

More Hot Rocks

Sure have alot more hits and influence than what I've seen listed. Holy cow RNRoll Hall

Date: October 10, 2014 04:11

This is the TENTH time that the disco band Chic has been nominated. What is up with that? They had just four hit singles and only two Top 20 albums ....

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: October 10, 2014 04:39

tatters
This is the TENTH time that the disco band Chic has been nominated. What is up with that? They had just four hit singles and only two Top 20 albums ....

I'd actually put them close to the top of this list, their influence went far beyond disco, just happened to coincide with it.

Like I say every year, call the Hall some type of Music Hall of Fame, just so we don't have to hear who's RnR and who isn't. NWA isn't rock, I get it by now.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 10, 2014 04:56

It always amuses me the way there are so many nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame yet whose music was never--ever--played on rock and roll stations.

Date: October 10, 2014 06:52

mr_dja
RollingFreak
mr_dja
black n blue

Peace,
Mr DJA

Seriously, I don't know who is arguing about SRV being "rock" in comparisson to other artists on the ballot or already in the hall. As for myself, I wouldn't disagree with your statement that he's 'more pure rock' than most on the current list of nominees.

Possibly if you were to reread the five sentances that I typed which follow the one's you quoted in your post you'd realize that I would have far fewer questions about SRV's inclusion in the R&RHOF than I do about MANY of the current members and nominees - your examples were good but just the tip of the iceberg of people who I would have never voted for.

Peace,
Mr DJA

why don't you think SRV should be in? muddy waters, bb king, howlin wolf, etc are all in

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 10, 2014 07:08

The public tally thus far:

Stevie Ray Vaughan 20.82%
Green Day 15.21%
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts 7.46%
Lou Reed 7.22%
Sting 7.12%
Bill Withers 6.92%
Nine Inch Nails 6.48%
N.W.A 5.62%
The Smiths 5.55%
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 4.91%
War 3.68%
The Spinners 2.44%
Kraftwerk 2.39%
The Marvelettes 2.27%
Chic 1.91%

Lol, 3 of my picks are in the bottom 5.

SRV is running away with it (for the public vote anyways). I don't get the folks on here thinking SRV is somehow not R&R HoF-worthy. He dressed R&R, he lived R&R and his cover of Voodoo Child alone makes him worthy even under a stricter definition (i.e. -no pop, rap, techno, country, blues), wouldn't ya say?

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: October 10, 2014 07:38

The Smiths 5.55%?
is it a joke?

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home