Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
When the train come in the station...
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 6, 2014 20:16

...who exactly was carrying the record?

From the NME in May 1964 reprinted in NME Originals, 2003.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: When the train come in the station...
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 6, 2014 20:22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:02 by camper88.

Date: October 6, 2014 20:27

I'd always thought it was Mick holding the records.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: October 6, 2014 20:49

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I'd always thought it was Mick holding the records.
me too.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 6, 2014 20:54

I think they met in the train and Mick was holding some vinyls! HM knowsgrinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 6, 2014 20:56

Didn't Keith say Mick was holding the records, in the interview on 25x5?

At least that's what he said...in other words, who knows?!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 6, 2014 20:57

This is fantastic - thanks for posting!

I also thought it was Mick, BUT imagining the scenario it would seem more likely that Keith
would have been walking around with records than Mick. If Mick had a great collection,
which everyone agrees on, why would he have been walking around with his records. Unless
he just bought them, I suppose. But I can imagine Keith going somewhere carrying records.

My favorite quote in that article is "Bo Diddley calls his music Bo Diddley, so where do you
go from there?" winking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 6, 2014 20:57

This was published on the May 22 edition of NME, and Mick talks about having "loads of R&B LPs and singles", though he didn't mentioned meeting Keith at the station or who was carrying the records.

Date: October 6, 2014 22:08

treaclefingers

Yep, and so does Mick!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 6, 2014 22:11

swiss
This is fantastic - thanks for posting!

I also thought it was Mick, BUT imagining the scenario it would seem more likely that Keith
would have been walking around with records than Mick. If Mick had a great collection,
which everyone agrees on, why would he have been walking around with his records. Unless
he just bought them, I suppose. But I can imagine Keith going somewhere carrying records.

My favorite quote in that article is "Bo Diddley calls his music Bo Diddley, so where do you
go from there?" winking smiley

Back in the day, it was a big thing to walk around with your albums under your arm, title side facing out, to show how cool you were. I certainly did, so Mick probably wasn't above doing it, either! (I always read it was him, too, and that the encounter took place on the station platform.)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2014 22:30

....the MAIN thing out of it all is that they met

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 6, 2014 22:53

Check this thread out: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 6, 2014 23:55

treaclefingers

Yes. He's like, "Yeah, great to see you again, but 'Where'd you get the records'?"

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 7, 2014 09:15

It was Mick.

In addition to all of the above comments, remember that Mick and Keef come from very different backgrounds.

Mick's family were relatively well off middle-class with his dad being a teacher, whereas Keef comes from a poor(er) working class background.

Mick would have had the resources (cash and ability ie knowing how to do it) to buy records from the USA, Keef would not have.

In 2014 it's very easy to forget how hard it was to set about a small international purchase that would work. You had to have International Money Orders, etc, and that was always a complicated process.

Buying records from the USA was definitely something for the very dedicated and well resourced person.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 7, 2014 10:23

Doesn't Keith mention this in LIFE? What does he say? (I'm too lazy to look it up, and I imagine everyone else is as well)

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 7, 2014 10:58

Marshall Chess packed albums for shipping as a kid for his dad's Chess Records and actually remembers packing a shipment for "M.P. Jagger, Dartford, Kent." (From According to the Rolling Stones.)

Date: October 7, 2014 12:31

I always thought that it was Mick who had the records.

However, on the November 25 2012-show, Mick said ..."do you still got those records, Keith?" - referring to their encounter... confused smiley

Date: October 7, 2014 12:46

DandelionPowderman

However, on the November 25 2012-show, Mick said ..."do you still got those records, Keith?" - referring to their encounter... confused smiley

Maybe Keith "borrowed" them!

Date: October 7, 2014 13:15

Deltics
DandelionPowderman

Maybe smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 7, 2014 15:44

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman

Maybe smiling smiley

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 7, 2014 15:51

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman

Maybe smiling smiley

No, that's actually what Jagger implied - he said just that, "he borrowed them from me..." (or something similar), rather mumbling, immediately following that first line.

And are you sure you don't mean Glastonbury (or Hyde Park maybe)? I distinctly remember seeing that scene a couple of times on my tv.

And yes, as the story always went it was Mick holding them records.
I don't see anything solid contradicting that now, btw...?!

And to mr. Chess I'd say: yeah, right...
(Sounds a whole lot like a Keithism to me, that story.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-07 15:56 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: October 7, 2014 15:57

No, it was in the O2-arena. He said something like: "It took us 50 years to get from Dartford to Greenwich. BTW, do you still have those (Bo Diddley) records, Keith? grinning smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 7, 2014 16:01

OK... I stand corrected, then.
Maybe I saw some Youtube clips on my tv;
or maybe he cracked that same joke twice in one year. cool smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 8, 2014 00:09

RoughJusticeOnYa

I go back to the point about how unusual and hard it was in 1962 in England to do an international order for obscure LP records from a small label in the middle of the far off USA.

It's plausible that if they only had a couple of sales to England per month (or even per year!) that Marshall Chess would remember it. (But I take the point about it being a Keithism though!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 8, 2014 00:19

CaptainCorella
RoughJusticeOnYa

I go back to the point about how unusual and hard it was in 1962 in England to do an international order for obscure LP records from a small label in the middle of the far off USA.

It's plausible that if they only had a couple of sales to England per month (or even per year!) that Marshall Chess would remember it. (But I take the point about it being a Keithism though!

I read somewhere Mick's father was the trainer/coach (and a gymnastic teacher) of the English basketballteam which went to the USA to play a tournement. Maybe old Joe Jagger buyed some vinyl on Mick's advise and took it home in 1960/61.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 8, 2014 01:22

Date: October 8, 2014 01:26

RipThisBone
CaptainCorella
RoughJusticeOnYa

I read somewhere Mick's father was the trainer/coach (and a gymnastic teacher) of the English basketballteam which went to the USA to play a tournement. Maybe old Joe Jagger buyed some vinyl on Mick's advise and took it home in 1960/61.

He wasn't that old in 1960!

Also, a lot of people got US records via American GIs in England. There was quite a black market in American records.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 8, 2014 14:55

Aquamarine
RipThisBone
CaptainCorella
RoughJusticeOnYa

Also, a lot of people got US records via American GIs in England. There was quite a black market in American records.

Joe Jagger was from 1913, so old enough in 1960 to be the trainer/coach of the English national basketballteam.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 9, 2014 02:28

Begiining of this video

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 9, 2014 02:53

RipThisBone
Aquamarine
RipThisBone
CaptainCorella
RoughJusticeOnYa

Joe Jagger was from 1913, so old enough in 1960 to be the trainer/coach of the English national basketballteam.

What I was saying is that, to me anyway, 47 isn't old. winking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home