Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Music
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 2, 2014 20:44

In the wake of the new U2 album and the surrounding controversy I can't help wonder if bands will continue making music. Seems for a while now most the big bands have released new records with mostly negative response. Of course some of them deserve it. However, this must discourage them from trying to make good quality music. For a few years I really thought The Stones would release a new record, now I'm not sure they will. U2 can't even give away a record without complaints, that says a lot to me. Is this the end of new rock and roll music? Guess I'm a little bummed out. Thought it would go on forever. At least until I was an old man. I still go to the store on release day to buy the albums. A close friend once said to me he didn't want to know a world without The Rolling Stones. I agree with him.

Re: New Music
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 2, 2014 20:58

lots of good bands touring and releasing albums.

your thread title would seem to indicate interest in music besides the Stones..most likely they are near the end and deservedly so, of a long great career.

I know, it won't be the same..but there are great touring bands now that will last, I believe.

Date: October 2, 2014 21:16

Yes, I'm talking about other bands besides The Stones. I suspect most of us here follow the oldies. Nice that you and others have interest in new bands but I usually avoid them because I'm rarely moved by it. Unfortunately that means I'm getting older and maybe a bit closed minded but I know what I like. Thinking further on this subject I recall Paul Stanley (KISS) saying there's no reason to make new music because nobody cares, they only want to hear the hits at concerts. They went on to make one or two bad records (imo) since then demonstrating this very point. All this makes me wonder if Mick would bother to make new music. Plus his last solo efforts were pretty much slammed too. Actually I didn't mind 'doorway" but didn't care for Superheavy.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 2, 2014 21:16

You know, in the 60s, the Stones got complaints about their music, too: from people of other generations than their core fanbase. You are right this would be no different today, like the recent U2 album giveaway has shown. It's just that today, it would be people who are younger than the band that would complain, whereas in the 60s it was people of an older generation than the band.

The less haters are cared about, the better.

Date: October 2, 2014 21:36

I guess a lot of it is, like frankotero said, knowing what you like..

but if you occasionally go outside of that its possible to find that you can add to the old reliables..

or, like me, finally get stuff that's been around a long time, that you never really got before...

that happened for me with James Taylor, recently..

Date: October 2, 2014 22:01

On the subject of new bands I did like the first BuckCherry album and Juliette Lewis' album Four on The Floor. Enjoyed both of them from top to bottom. The only records in about a 15 year period for me. Wish I could find something more but it's kind of like picking a different restaurant over the favorite that I know can deliver. Anyhow, hats off to anyone that finds happiness in new music. And hope we can get a little more from the dinosaurs before they leave us for good.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 2, 2014 22:07

There will always be new music. Musical genres wax and wane, but do not really die. Look at how disco keeps sneaking its way in and out of pop music, and even so called 'alternative' music. Right now there are hundreds of bands out there worth listening to. You just have to go looking for them. Just last Sunday night I was at the Jeff Tweedy show in Portland, Maine (Jeff's new solo album is really interesting, btw), and the opener was a band I'd never heard of called Hospitality. They were great! I watched a video of them the other day doing a cover of a Steely Dan tune (I never much cared for Steely Dan), and I loved it. Now I will seek their original recorded music, and I will find it, somewhere. Cheer up, buckaroo. U2's new album is good, I think. And they have another one coming soon as well, supposedly. If it sounds good, it is good. Just keep listening for the stuff you like.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: October 2, 2014 22:29

There'll always be new music. It's just that at the moment the business model is broken.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 2, 2014 23:11

It will never be 1972 again but rock music is always around, and young bands are still playing it. Rock stopped being cutting-edge or the height of fashion ages ago and now sits alongside blues and jazz as a trad genre.

So don't look for it on the charts or in the stadiums so much as online and in your local live music club.

There are some great indie labels still rocking out. Off the top of my head, check out the websites for Alive Records, In The Red, Sub Pop, Anti-Epitaph...I'm sure I'm missing a few more, but you get the idea.

New acts are still covering the Stones, so that's always a good sign.

Date: October 2, 2014 23:22

thanks for posting that excellent version of Sway!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:17

duke richardson
I guess a lot of it is, like frankotero said, knowing what you like..

but if you occasionally go outside of that its possible to find that you can add to the old reliables..

or, like me, finally get stuff that's been around a long time, that you never really got before...

that happened for me with James Taylor, recently..

JT's great

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:41

There will always be new music. Your quote. There will always be a small time,a fantastic song from a newer artist Corin Raymond out of Toronto Canada. Check him out on youtube. Good stuff.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 03:05

the music industry died a long time ago, music now is mostly boybands, rappers or daft wee lassies who have to wear almost no clothes to get attention or clowns like simon cowell pretending they are experts in the music field.

there simply is no reason for record companies to go out looking for talented musicians to sign up at a huge risk when they can and have done for 2 decades is manufacture talentless bimbos and boybands who would have a nose bleed if they were introduced to something like a guitar.

young people who get into music are generally not clever enough to actually look at what is good or what was good, instead they get into what is trendy,hip or cool at the time, and unfortunately thats usually people like justin beiber and similar assorted muppets.

i fear unless people and i include the customer too change thier attitude to the music scene we could almost lose it entirely, there will be no more rock groups, talented songwriters or musicians just more telentless bland drivel driven by record companies looking for a quick fix and supplied by clueless teenagers who wouldnt know good sounds if it clobbered them over the head.

at least we got the stones, but for how long.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 3, 2014 04:26

I despair sometimes--there's a lot of wonderful new music out there, not all of it aimed at teenagers (and in any case I seem to remember it was teenagers who were responsible for the initial mainstream success of the Beatles and Stones--I think it's healthy that they don't defer to the tastes of an older generation!).

frankotero
I suspect most of us here follow the oldies.

Not me--the Stones are the only band of their generation I follow closely. Of course I'm interested in what other bands/performers of all generations are doing, but I'm mostly interested in the bands that are alive and kicking and producing new exciting music.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 3, 2014 06:04

Yes indeed! It's always a thrill to hear great new songs and players.

The music BUSINESS may be a mess these days but there will always be young talented, creative musicians playing their hearts out, whether it's in a tiny
club or as an opening act in cities around the world.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: October 3, 2014 12:53

My girlfriend has gotten me into Muse. I like the HAARP album. I am diggin' this "new" band called Augustines.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 13:09

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 13:09

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 3, 2014 14:39

I used to closley follow the indie and alternative-rock scene circa 2001-2005. I would buy the likes of Q, Mojo and the NME almost weekley and would always be discovering new, exciting acts: The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Strokes, White Stripes, Libertines, etc. I can still listen to and enjoy these artists, but would be fibbing if I were to claim I still follw the current scenes. I haven't bought a music magazine - especially one that focuses on the 'hip' and 'current' - in years and am too busy discovering older acts and artists from yestertear to be too bothered by this fact. Right now, I'm ingrossing myself in far, far too much Aretha Franklin.

Posted by: 1967fan ()
Date: October 3, 2014 14:42

Getting into new bands likely has more to do with ones attitude at the time than the bands relative merits. Does that original spark stick for years? Rarely. The last band that struck me is Whitehorse. Emerald Isle, Winterlong, very enjoyable.

Date: October 3, 2014 14:50

There is great new music out there indeed:

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 3, 2014 14:55

And this great Swedish band called Goat who play a vibrant psychedelic tribal music. Check out this song.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 3, 2014 15:52

Big Al -> I'm not sure that there is such a thing as "ingrossing myself in far, far too much Aretha Franklin." And if there is, I would consider that a good problem to have!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 3, 2014 15:53

i'd like to recommend:

I saw this band earlier this year. fun, straight up modern rock n roll with a folk flavor. they reminded me of the Faces live.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 3, 2014 15:56

mr_dja
Big Al -> I'm not sure that there is such a thing as "ingrossing myself in far, far too much Aretha Franklin." And if there is, I would consider that a good problem to have!

Peace,
Mr DJA

is ingrossing a word?

Date: October 3, 2014 15:58

treaclefingers
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

is ingrossing a word?

naw. it aint.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 3, 2014 16:10

The 'current music industry' ie boybands that make all the girls scream is still the machine making it work. That hasn't changed for quit a while now. None of the boy bands from the 1980s and 1990s had any talent either.

So the machine makes sure it works.

Talent, on the other hand - actual musicians, will never die. Hell, people have been saying 'nobody buys CDs anymore' and 'no one buys albums anymore'. That's bullshit.

What U2 did was - it's too convenient to say 'they couldn't even give it away' because those people wouldn't have bought it anyway. And not only did 80 gazillion people listen to their new LP their back catalogue surged in sales.

The Cult are working on a new album. Black Sabbath are doing another one (their last, supposedly). Loads of artists are working on new albums. The album, in whatever format the LP comes in, has not died, is not dead and won't die.

And you might as well forget the Stones doing a new LP. It was essentially said in a 2005 issue of Billboard that A BIGGER BANG was their last LP. No one except for a few people here have expected or desired a new LP from them. It's all about the past now.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 3, 2014 16:24

duke richardson
treaclefingers
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

is ingrossing a word?

naw. it aint.

On an international message board I find it helpful to read phonetically. Apoliogies to all for not correcting the spelling error before pasting the quote.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 3, 2014 16:32

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-03 16:33 by erad.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: October 3, 2014 16:32

Chris Robinson Brotherhood and Jack White are keeping the flame alive. Both of these have released top drawer albums this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-03 17:28 by geordiestone.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home