Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith - Center Stage TV show, December 1992
Date: October 1, 2014 11:57

Keith - Center Stage TV show, December 1992

It's lovely ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 14:17 by bv.

Re: Where is this Keith video from?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 1, 2014 14:08

I'm seem to remember this was shown on MTV, and I recollect that it was filmed in Chicago, and if so, the Aragon Ballroom. The set list was even posted here a while back: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: October 1, 2014 14:08

According to the Victor Bockris bio of KR, this Chicago appearance was filmed Dec. 28 1992. However, the uploader indicates a date of March 1993. Don't know the venue (TV studio, perhaps?).

More from that appearance:

I don't think if was filmed at the Aragon - that is a fancy historical theater and doesn't, IMO, resemble the venue shown in the vids

Aragon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-01 14:19 by Plink.

Date: October 1, 2014 14:41

Yeah, this venue looks way smaller..

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 1, 2014 14:44

I think it´s the Boston show.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 1, 2014 14:52

This is obviously a made-for-television pro filming, and I do remember seeing it at the time, and if Bockris is right about the date of filming, then Waddy's site has the info: December 28 - WTTW-TV Studios, Chicago, Illinois - VH-1 recordings for its series “Center Stage”

More at: [waddywachtelinfo.com]

Also, here's a New York Times review of the special when it aired: [www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-01 14:55 by stonehearted.

Date: October 1, 2014 15:07

TooTough

He says: "Welcome, Chicago"...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 1, 2014 19:56

This is from the PBS WTTW Chicago tv Winos show from 1993 I am pretty sure. I was there for this videotaping that was done on the NW side of Chicago at the WTTW studios. I have an old VHS copy of the entire show. What a treat that was to be there. Very laid back atmosphere. Keith and all of the Wino's had some fun. Main Offender tunes featured.Killer version of GS with Keith shining on vocals and some fine guitar licks. I recall them closing with Whip it Up. Ears rang for 24 hours after that one. Talk about LOUD...

You had to be on a list to get in. I got 4 entrances via my dad who called in a favor because he used to be Treasurer for WTTW back in the 70's. To say I felt extremely lucky to get in was an understatement.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 1, 2014 20:09

DandelionPowderman
TooTough

...doesn't mean much....I once saw the Who in L.A. and Daltry said "Hello Atlanta"

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 1, 2014 20:16

It was from the PBS series called Center Stage. I believe the taping was done in very late Dec of 1992.

Date: October 1, 2014 21:38

BluzDude
DandelionPowderman
TooTough

...doesn't mean much....I once saw the Who in L.A. and Daltry said "Hello Atlanta"

grinning smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:08

Thanks, filstan, Plink, and stonehearted for the info - and Dandy for posting. This is great stuff!

filstan
This is from the PBS WTTW Chicago tv Winos show from 1993 I am pretty sure. I was there for this videotaping that was done on the NW side of Chicago at the WTTW studios. I have an old VHS copy of the entire show. What a treat that was to be there. Very laid back atmosphere. Keith and all of the Wino's had some fun. Main Offender tunes featured.Killer version of GS with Keith shining on vocals and some fine guitar licks. I recall them closing with Whip it Up. Ears rang for 24 hours after that one. Talk about LOUD...

You had to be on a list to get in. I got 4 entrances via my dad who called in a favor because he used to be Treasurer for WTTW back in the 70's. To say I felt extremely lucky to get in was an understatement.

stonehearted
This is obviously a made-for-television pro filming, and I do remember seeing it at the time, and if Bockris is right about the date of filming, then Waddy's site has the info: December 28 - WTTW-TV Studios, Chicago, Illinois - VH-1 recordings for its series “Center Stage”

More at: [waddywachtelinfo.com]

Also, here's a New York Times review of the special when it aired: [www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:24

there is about an hour of outtakes around as well..interviews and jamming. I think my uncle may have been a camera man for this show but I am not in touch with him anymore

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:26

filstan
It was from the PBS series called Center Stage. I believe the taping was done in very late Dec of 1992. ...
You had to be on a list to get in. I got 4 entrances via my dad who called in a favor
because he used to be Treasurer for WTTW back in the 70's. To say I felt extremely lucky to get in was an understatement.

Wow, way cool, filstan! From what I've read about the taping, the studio was tiny,
so the performers were no doubt super-aware of the crowd, and from the footage it seems like
about four people in the audience seemed to know who Keith and/or the Winos were. That was you I guess, filstan? :E

As for what got recorded, it's fortunate that in the last three numbers the sound guys suddenly realized
that this was a guitar band, not a vocal group. Other than that, a fine show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-01 22:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:38

DandelionPowderman
TooTough

Hehe..I was judging by the sound...and it sounded like
my Boston sb. recording.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2014 22:42

DandelionPowderman
BluzDude
DandelionPowderman
TooTough

grinning smiley

It's good that Keith later avoided mistakes like that by starting his "good to be here, good to be anywhere" routine...grinning smiley

But damn cool playing by Keith in that "Wicked As It Seems" clip. I have never been a big fan of the song, but that works, man...

- Doxa

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 2, 2014 06:04

I was there too. Dec 1992

Date: October 2, 2014 09:12

Doxa
It's good that Keith later avoided mistakes like that

?! It wasn't a mistake - the footage is from Chicago

Posted by: LadyJane12 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 13:47

Nice posting. Can't wait for Keith's solo album!

Date: October 2, 2014 14:34

with sssoul
Doxa
It's good that Keith later avoided mistakes like that

?! It wasn't a mistake - the footage is from Chicago

Relax... (and take another look at the context from where you picked up that sentence...winking smiley)

- Doxa

Re: Keith - Center Stage TV show, December 1992
Date: October 2, 2014 14:54

I didn't get you at first, either, Doxa - I do now smiling smiley

Date: October 2, 2014 15:46

DandelionPowderman

Hehe.. I probably should have put there 'potential mistakes a'la Daltrey' in the first place... (and knowing that for some sensitive people here Keef can never do no wrong... aah, that was nasty, sorry...smoking smiley).

Or I guess it is better not try to be funny and tongue-in-a-cheek but write literally every time...

My bad, my bad.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 15:47 by Doxa.

Date: October 2, 2014 17:38

Doxa
aah, that was nasty, sorry

Yep! And misdirected to boot.

When you write unclear things people will misunderstand you.
It's not their fault. You've been around long enough to know that.

But if you're having fun, keep it up, Dox!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 17:42 by with sssoul.

Date: October 2, 2014 18:19

with sssoul
Doxa
aah, that was nasty, sorry

Yep! And misdirected to boot.

When you write unclear things people will misunderstand you.
It's not their fault. You've been around long enough to know that.

But if you're having fun, keep it up, Dox!

Writing unclear things is my second nature, you've around long enough to know that.grinning smiley

Funnily, I've been around rather long, like you, but I have never received one nice kind word from you, but only that sort of 'corrections' from your department of historical accuracy (or what it is) if there ever been a chance. Or those kind of lectural statements like the one quoted. Was it that I some ten years ago misspelled your name, have said not always so flattering things about Keith Richards, or you just don't like the way I write, or what? Just curious.

I was having fun. Not any more. But it's alright.

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 2, 2014 18:40

I don't like the drummer. Too monotonous. Too loud.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 2, 2014 18:52

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Hehe.. I probably should have put there 'potential mistakes a'la Daltrey' in the first place... (and knowing that for some sensitive people here Keef can never do no wrong... aah, that was nasty, sorry...smoking smiley).

Or I guess it is better not try to be funny and tongue-in-a-cheek but write literally every time...

My bad, my bad.

- Doxa

I saw your original comment/joke and giggled, and also thought, "Huh - there actually would be
extra benefit to starting a show that way for a performer" so as never to get mixed up about
location (as did Roger Daltrey). Anyway - moving on smiling smiley

Date: October 2, 2014 19:51

Doxa
Writing unclear things is my second nature, you've around long enough to know that.grinning smiley

Funnily, I've been around rather long, like you, but I have never received one nice kind word from you, but only that sort of 'corrections' from your department of historical accuracy (or what it is) if there ever been a chance. Or those kind of lectural statements like the one quoted. Was it that I some ten years ago misspelled your name, have said not always so flattering things about Keith Richards, or you just don't like the way I write, or what? Just curious.

- Doxa

It's unfortunate that you perceive things that way, Doxa,
but if it means so much to you please open a fresh thread about it.
I'd far rather read about filstan's experience at the Winos show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 20:04 by with sssoul.

Date: October 3, 2014 01:56

with sssoul
Doxa

- Doxa

It's unfortunate that you perceive things that way, Doxa,
but if it means so much to you please open a fresh thread about it.
I'd far rather read about filstan's experience at the Winos show.

Hmmm... I rest my case. Not that it was any big thing in the first place. Like said, I was just curious. All the best.

- Doxa

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 3, 2014 16:21

I was there. Repeat. I WAS THERE. I. WAS. THERE.

It was filmed at the PBS studio in Chicago shortly after Christmas '92. It was filmed for the PBS program Centerstage. Earlier, in the fall, when I read about it I thought, "Well, damn it, people get into these things so what do I have to do?" After a little investigating I learned access was granted by lottery. I was to send a stamped, self-addressed envelope and if my name was drawn they would send me the passes and further instructions. I mailed in two "entries," one in my name and one in the name of a good buddy who I knew would be home from Virginia for the Holidays. I received nothing but my friend called shortly before Christmas to say he had indeed received a pair of passes. We rented a hotel room and made plans to travel from Michigan for the taping.

The weather was unseasonably dry and warm but we left with plenty of time to spare as one never knows what you might encounter traveling into Chicago. The studio was North of downtown, if memory serves, and we arrived shortly before 5pm. Doors were to open at 7pm. There was no sign of anything Stones-like going on so we decided to go grab a beer and find something to eat. We had the most god awful Chinese meal I've ever attempted and then returned to the studio. There were now well over 100 people lined up to get in. We got in line and they started the entry. JUST AS they got to my buddy and me they said there was no more room and that even though we received passes they didn't guarantee entry.

Of course there was a lot of shouting and cursing and amidst it all I utilized my own experience in TV studios to pick out the floor manager. I took him aside and said, "C'mon, my buddy came from Virginia and together we'd driven three hours that day. Was there at least an adjacent studio where we could watch on a monitor?" The fellow seemed to think this was a very reasonable request and replied, "Sure, follow me." He led the two of us and about eighteen others down the hall and put us in a completely empty studio, no chairs, nothing but a 24" TV.

We stood around for about ten minutes when suddenly a loud and brassy woman we came to realize was Jane Rose burst through the door and announced that, "There was room for ten more, very lucky, people in the studio for the taping." The problem was there was twenty of us. The same floor manager was tasked with shepherding the 'lucky' ten folks to the studio next door. He said nothing but waved to us all to follow him. All twenty of us were subsequently led into the studios and intstructed as to what sections in which to stand. There was a cordoned off section close to the stage and in front of the cameras, another behind that with a remote, panning camera overhead and a set of small bleachers across the back wall that people stood on. We found a spot in the middle, about 15-20 feet from the three foot tall stage. The studio was typical TV, about 40 feet square with the stage and cameras occupying about half.

Ms. Rose and the production manager took turns instructing us as to how we should behave enthusiastically ("Seriously?"). The cameras were turned to the crowd so they could shoot "b-roll" which would be edited in later as reaction shots. The cameras were returned to the original positions facing the stage and the band was led in, through the crowd (no backstage in a '60s era TV studio) with Bobby Keys and Keith coming through last. Keith was shadowed by that big, bald tattooed body guard he used to have that has since died.

Keith and the band spent well over five, maybe ten, minutes just standing around while the lights and cameras were given their final adjustments. He then simply said, "Hello Chicago" and launched into, if memory serves, "Take It So Hard" (which wasn't used in the final show). The band was loose and rollicking and everyone was having a blast. The performance stopped several times so adjustments could be made and the cameras reloaded (video tape, no digital in '92). During these breaks Keith would smoke, joke and interact with the audience. One such memorable question he received was, "Keith! What are you drinking now?" to which he quipped, "Nuclear Waste. It's made from vodka and Tang and it's so bad even I can't drink much!" During another break in the action back-up singer Sarah Dash pointed to the keyboards and exclaimed, "Ivan's drunk!" and indeed the young Mr. Neville appeared unsteady. It didn't hurt his playing any. Several songs were restarted as well if Keith or the director weren't happy.

In all it took about two hours to film little more than an hours worth of music which itself was eventually reduced to about 55 minutes. The taping ended with a rousing "Happy" and Keith being led out first by the burly bodyguard. The audience was held back until the band could leave. We all used the same door, mind you.

We hung out in the hallway for a little while hoping to get an autograph. I briefly chatted with a very sweaty Bobby Keys who signed the set list that one of the cameramen had given me. Another fellow begged Bobby to get his copy of "Talk Is Cheap" signed because it was his birthday. Bobby obliged carrying the LP into the dressing room and returning a minute later with the album now scrawled all the way across the cover, "Happy Birthday. Keith Richards."

After that we left and stopped to visit another school chum who lived near the Loop. It was only a little after 11pm by the time we got there.

The show that aired was pretty chopped up as are many of the boots, some of which utilize rehearsal footage from earlier in the day.I have never been able to figure out how to upload photos to this site from my Macs. If anyone can enlighten me, I'll scan the set-list and pass as I obviously still have them

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-03 16:33 by rbk.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 3, 2014 16:52

Thanks for sharing your story rbk!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home