Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: OT : new U2 album for free on iTunes
Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: September 11, 2014 18:43

Thanks Dandelion but I'm probably too old eye rolling smiley

I can't find a push-button or anything else which says "available in the cloud"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 11, 2014 18:47

Naturalust
Wuudy
Naturalust
Papo
Naturalust
Another example of super rich rock stars killing what's left of the record industry by giving away their tunes for free. In this case the tunes are so mediocre it may have influenced their decision, I certainly wouldn't buy them. peace

This quote is from Bono's open letter on U2.com:

"You’ll have noticed the album is free to U2.com’ers from the band. It’s also free to everyone on iTunes thanks to Apple. To celebrate the ten year anniversary of our iPod commercial, they bought it as a gift to give to all their music customers. Free, but paid for. Because if no-one's paying anything for it, we’re not sure “free” music is really that free. It usually comes at a cost to the art form and the artist… which has big implications, not for us in U2, but for future musicians and their music... all the songs that have yet to be written by the talents of the future… who need to make a living to write them."

Talk is cheap. He makes it sound like they didn't have a choice, which of course they did and he further blames Apple for the problem. Total crap, imho. peace

How did you get that from it??? He didn't say that they didn't have any choice and he didn't blame apple. He just said that Apple paid for the album and thanks to Apple we can download it for free. So no blame but a shout out to Apple and he tries to make everybody aware that if people don't pay anything for music anymore no one will be able to make it as they have to make a living.

Well...Bono himself says that giving away creative property (music) "...
comes at a cost to the art form and the artist… which has big implications, not for us in U2, but for future musicians and their music... all the songs that have yet to be written by the talents of the future… who need to make a living to write them."

The fact that Apple paid him for them just puts the onus on them. Apple is basically a record company these days (amoung other things) and whomever gives away the music is perpetuating exactly what Bono claims is hurting the new artists. So his statement that Apple decided to give this music away makes it sound like he didn't have a choice. In fact his "not for us in U2" comment makes it clear that he (they) think they are above it all. peace

U2 want to reach the most people possible. OK. So they found a way to do that - by Apple, who wants to reach as many people as possible, leasing the LP for a duration and allowing it to be downloaded for free. And since you seem to have missed it I'll point it out to you: October 14th you can only purchase the album. It's not going to be free forever.

U2 made the most money ever by a touring act in the history of music tours on their 360 tour so of course they don't need to worry about the money. Imagine being a band in that position. You could just go do what you want, right? You could record over two dozen songs, not just two songs, and release an album this year and another one next year and not worry about anything, just do it.

Imagine a band that's been around for 50 some years doing something like that.

You can't. That's interesting isn't it.

Date: September 11, 2014 18:51

Brstonesfan
U2Stonesfan
Brstonesfan
Awful band. Awful song.

Yeah....pretty much got your opinion the first time....glad you feel a need to make sure everyone knows where you stand. I got it, you don't like U2.

Correct. I never understood how any Stones fans could enjoy the techno/pop this group has been putting out for decades. They have a handful of good songs, but their popularity cannot be denied. Sad indictment on how rock gradually died. At least Gun And Roses rocked..U2 and it's pompous leader are at least to me not in the same league as the Stones, The Who, Petty, or even Springsteen.

Huh.

Imagine that. Why, in the back of my Voodoo Lounge I couldn't think of a band that has done such comparable Dirty Work, even while crossing several Bridges To Babylon on a train with Steel Wheels that crashes into a station with A Bigger Bang than the one in Silver Streak. GRRRR said the conductor.

Oh woe is thee mighty lone Ranger...

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: September 11, 2014 18:59

I think it is safe to say their are very few true Stones fans left. This is reflected both in their lack of album sales and general disrespect their are shown by the causal rock fan. To each his own, but I don't come to Stones sites to see other bands being promoted. I seriously doubt most U2 or Zep forums are praising the Stones.

Date: September 11, 2014 19:01

silkcut1978_
Thanks Dandelion but I'm probably too old eye rolling smiley

I can't find a push-button or anything else which says "available in the cloud"

It's not the exact phrase, but go into your account and check out if there is something about "cloud" and "purchased" in the, and you will find it. It took me some time, though.

Date: September 11, 2014 19:09

Brstonesfan
I think it is safe to say their are very few true Stones fans left. This is reflected both in their lack of album sales and general disrespect their are shown by the causal rock fan. To each his own, but I don't come to Stones sites to see other bands being promoted. I seriously doubt most U2 or Zep forums are praising the Stones.

When you think you are the best, it's usually arrogance, and it's only certain Stones fans that somehow live by the silly joke (that the Stones never adapted to nor swore by) in their 'defense' of the Stones, which has zero relevance with anything. Go look for yourself at other band fan sites. Make your own Stones fan site then.

They're - they are

Their - belonging to or associated with the people or things previously mentioned or easily identified

There - in, at, or to that place or position

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 11, 2014 19:32

So he typed fast! Bid deal.

Date: September 11, 2014 19:52

alhavu1
So he typed fast! Bid deal.

No. It's the same word used three different ways. It's as bad as: I'm going to red a book. I red a book. I stopped at a red light.

It's just lazy.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 11, 2014 20:51

Brstonesfan

I think it's safe to say that a more accurate statement would be: "there are very few true Stones fans left who meet your definition of a true Stones fan". Thankfully for those of us who would fall in that category, there is no official definition of a true Stones fan and, as of this moment, many of the rest of us aren't too concerned with meeting your definition of a true Stones fan.

Possibly you should consider avoiding the off topic threads when you come to IORR if it bothers you as much as you claim. Many of the Stones fans that post here don't have nearly as narrow a view of music as you seem to have. Sometimes we'll discuss that music when we aren't discussing the Stones. From time to time we'll even discuss movies, art & sports. It's all good. As of right now, this isn't a "Just The Stones, The Whole Stones & Nothing But The Stones" site. Maybe someday it will be.

Feel free to judge me and my fandom as you'd like. I don't really care. I suspect that many others here feel similarly.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: September 11, 2014 21:23

I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that everyone who posts here thinks the Stones are the greatest band in the world. I have spent 4 decades of my life following everything they do and while I certainly recognize their flaws, to me they still stand head and shoulders above any other band.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 11, 2014 22:00

Brstonesfan
U2 and it's pompous leader are at least to me not in the same league as the Stones, The Who, Petty, or even Springsteen.

"Pompous" is the perfect word.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2014 22:19

Date: September 11, 2014 22:24

Hairball

If there was an award for "best Use of Photoshop" I'd nominate this picture. FUNNY!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: September 11, 2014 22:31

To bad you guys feel that way, when I have seen Bono show nothing but respect to Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 11, 2014 23:08

U2Stonesfan
To bad you guys feel that way, when I have seen Bono show nothing but respect to Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones!

Bono doesn't know that Mick Jagger is in the Rolling Stones ???

Date: September 11, 2014 23:31

U2Stonesfan

I just think it's a funny picture. Not that it's a comment on Bono, per se. I actually like much of U2's music and have very few negative opinions on Bono or the rest of the band. I'd find the picture funny if it were Keith, Mick, etc.

I will admit to being somewhat tired of ANY famous/rich person preaching to "the masses" on political or social issues. Kind of strange that I don't mind it as much if they do it within the context of their songs/art. Regardless of the position, if it's incorporated into an artists work, I generally will give that artist a pass and simply decide if I like the art or not. When that same artist decides they need to start preaching to the media or to their audience, I tend to tune out quickly.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 11, 2014 23:46

And since you seem to have missed it I'll point it out to you: October 14th you can only purchase the album. It's not going to be free forever.

The point is it's only free for a while? OK I get it, U2 is only going to perpetuate what "comes at a cost to the art form and the artist [..] all the songs that have yet to be written by the talents of the future… who need to make a living to write them" for a little over a month?

I think the point was that Bono acknowledged the process hurts the future artists but went ahead and did it anyway. Of course they don't need the $, all the more reason to try to support future music artists by NOT giving away their music. Especially since, as Mr DJA points out, Bono has become a preacher and self appointed guru of political and social issues, what could be more close to home than the development of new music and the ability of new artists to make a living by making new music? peace

Date: September 12, 2014 01:04

MKjan
U2Stonesfan

Bono doesn't know that Mick Jagger is in the Rolling Stones ???

The reason I said it that way is because I think Bono is closer to Mick then the rest of the Stones. All he has ever said about the Stones is he wants to be as big or bigger then them. Everything else has been nothing but respect.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 12, 2014 01:36

U2Stonesfan

Maybe just a coincidence but it seems since Bono declared his Christianity and belief that Jesus was his Savior the dogs have since been unleashed.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 12, 2014 01:37

U2 are a great,great rock and roll band.whether one likes them or not is irrelevant.

i dont like the beatles very much and think they're overrated.but because i think that doesnt make them any less great,they're the fcking beatles.

what most people dont realize is that U2 didnt just break the stones most well known tour record-box office gross[that record is a joke because you can just do shows for years under the same tour name and add the money on]no,they broke the most important one.the decades old one from the 1981 tour-largest average attendance per show.i cant remember the exact figures but that record had stood for almost 30 years.

they're now a veteran band and the well has probably run dry on the songwriting,like all the old big time acts they write their own songs and at some point you have nothing left to say.it happens to everyone,which is why the stones dont make records anymore.

of course the rolling stones could make a new record and it wouldnt suck,it just wouldnt be that good and weakens the body of work as a whole.U2 are gonna have to make a decision on that pretty soon.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 12, 2014 03:01

Still can't get the dang thing to show up in my iTunes....
T@3

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 12, 2014 03:23

Finally got it! First three tunes, zzzzzzzzz

Date: September 12, 2014 05:14

For anyone else that is having problems downloading, if you are on Facebook try this link!
[l.facebook.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 12, 2014 05:21

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
Wuudy
Naturalust
Papo
Naturalust
Another example of super rich rock stars killing what's left of the record industry by giving away their tunes for free. In this case the tunes are so mediocre it may have influenced their decision, I certainly wouldn't buy them. peace

This quote is from Bono's open letter on U2.com:

"You’ll have noticed the album is free to U2.com’ers from the band. It’s also free to everyone on iTunes thanks to Apple. To celebrate the ten year anniversary of our iPod commercial, they bought it as a gift to give to all their music customers. Free, but paid for. Because if no-one's paying anything for it, we’re not sure “free” music is really that free. It usually comes at a cost to the art form and the artist… which has big implications, not for us in U2, but for future musicians and their music... all the songs that have yet to be written by the talents of the future… who need to make a living to write them."

Talk is cheap. He makes it sound like they didn't have a choice, which of course they did and he further blames Apple for the problem. Total crap, imho. peace

How did you get that from it??? He didn't say that they didn't have any choice and he didn't blame apple. He just said that Apple paid for the album and thanks to Apple we can download it for free. So no blame but a shout out to Apple and he tries to make everybody aware that if people don't pay anything for music anymore no one will be able to make it as they have to make a living.

Well...Bono himself says that giving away creative property (music) "...
comes at a cost to the art form and the artist… which has big implications, not for us in U2, but for future musicians and their music... all the songs that have yet to be written by the talents of the future… who need to make a living to write them."

The fact that Apple paid him for them just puts the onus on them. Apple is basically a record company these days (amoung other things) and whomever gives away the music is perpetuating exactly what Bono claims is hurting the new artists. So his statement that Apple decided to give this music away makes it sound like he didn't have a choice. In fact his "not for us in U2" comment makes it clear that he (they) think they are above it all. peace

U2 want to reach the most people possible. OK. So they found a way to do that - by Apple, who wants to reach as many people as possible, leasing the LP for a duration and allowing it to be downloaded for free. And since you seem to have missed it I'll point it out to you: October 14th you can only purchase the album. It's not going to be free forever.

U2 made the most money ever by a touring act in the history of music tours on their 360 tour so of course they don't need to worry about the money. Imagine being a band in that position. You could just go do what you want, right? You could record over two dozen songs, not just two songs, and release an album this year and another one next year and not worry about anything, just do it.

Imagine a band that's been around for 50 some years doing something like that.

You can't. That's interesting isn't it.

Maybe that's why I want that album so bad...I couldn't really care less about the U2 album, by contrast.

That's interesting, isn't it?!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 12, 2014 05:39

This "U2" clip is also free.

Date: September 12, 2014 05:41

What's the difference between God and Bono?" wrote a poster on a newspaper comments board yesterday. "God doesn't walk around Dublin thinking he's Bono." If "Jeffman" was hoping to be applauded for his wit, he had another thing coming.

"That joke's been here for 25 years," chided one. "Bono doesn't walk around Dublin," quipped another.

Admirers of the Dublin rock star might want to stay well clear of the comments below The Guardian's "first listen" review of U2's new album: virtually all had the man born Paul Hewson in their sights. And just about everything seemed to be fair game - from U2's tax affairs to his singing ability and from his relationships with world leaders to his friendships with corporate bigwigs.

That the article had broadly positive things to say about the album didn't matter: here was an opportunity to indulge in a little Bono-bashing.

It was a similar story on Twitter where endless abuse was heaped on Bono and U2. Several appeared outraged that the new album, Songs of Innocence, had been uploaded to their iTunes account free of charge. "Putting U2 on my phone without my permission," fumed one, "is like force-feeding lamb to a vegetarian."

While Bono would have expected some opprobrium after inking a rumoured €100m deal with Apple which sees the album being made freely available on the iTunes accounts of 500 million people worldwide, even he must have been surprised by the extent of the ill-feeling.

"You'd think he had stolen stuff from these people," broadcaster Dave Fanning says. "What he's actually done is made a brand new U2 album available free of charge. What a gift that is for the fans, but for some - no matter what he does - Bono will always be seen as the bad guy. The negative responses have been ridiculously over-the-top, as they always are whenever U2 do anything. People have been knocking him from day one, but he just gets up and gets on with it. Does it affect him? I don't know - but I do know that that sort of vitriol would affect a lot of people."

Fanning has had a long-term association with U2, going back to their earliest days, and he says he, too, is sometimes pilloried for defending his friend. "I don't know why people waste their energy attacking him when they could be doing something else with their lives. I've seen the campaigning work he does in the Third World and he's the real deal. There's nothing fake about it. He doesn't have to do it, but he feels compelled to."

It says something about the society that we live in that he's attacked for that. Nobody is forcing anyone to listen to U2. As for those people who are outraged that U2's album has suddenly appeared in their iTunes library, why don't they just delete it? And rather than going on about commercial sell-outs, or whatever, why don't they investigate all the great new music that is being released all the time? But instead of doing that, they're more motivated to spew their bile on social media. It's pathetic."

The Irish academic Andy Storey - who has long been a critic of Bono's African aid work - believes much of the negativity the frontman attracts is self-inflicted. "There's such a sense of pomposity about him," he says, "It gets up the backs of many. He's hypocritical too when you think about U2's [perfectly legal] tax avoidance, which flies in the face of his appeals to help the world's poor. And his backing for organisations like the Gates Foundation - which is sponsored by Monsanto, proponents of genetically modified food - does not sit well at all."

For others, like the Dublin-based Daily Telegraph journalist Mic Wright, it's Bono's failure to engage with his native land that has bothered many here. "The U2 singer is like an Easter Island head of patrician arrogance," he wrote in 2013, "the "fixer" of Africa whose relationship to his native land's struggles is very vague. While he has wrung his hands so much over foreign aid it's a surprise they still function, he has left Ireland to it. To many it seems as if Ireland is just too small, too petty a problem for the great Bono Vox to turn his gaze upon it."

Olaf Tyransen, the rock critic and author, rejects such a view: "It's so often forgotten that U2 contributed €5m to a fund to help young musicians in this country. They didn't need to do that, but they wanted to. And anyone who has met Bono can attest to his kindness and decency. He lives the rock 'n' roll lifestyle, but his campaigning work has paid off. Just ask those in Africa who are alive today thanks to the work he has done on countering malaria.

"You know, Bono gets a huge amount of flak but he handles it in a very dignified way. He would have been within his rights to call the new album F*** the Begrudgers considering all he has to put up with."

Irish Independent

- See more at: [www.independent.ie]

Date: September 12, 2014 10:17

All people with big thoughts and good intentions, who don't succeed right away with their plans, will quickly be bashed. It's called jealousy. The word "pompous" is always among the first words they'd use...

I couldn't think of a nicer guy than Bono, but he hasn't released very good music in over 20 years, imo.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 12, 2014 11:15

Man some of you need to take a cold shower. Preferably not together.

Four blokes make some music and make it available to the world for free and all we see are childish U@ vs Stones stuff. At times one could be forgiven for thinking anyone beyond the age of 15 doesn't haunt these parts.

Bono is a rich guy trying to do some good. You may think he's this or that or whatever but he's only ever promoted kindness and love as far as I can see.

U2 said goodbye to rock relevance in 2000 with "All you can't leave behind" for mine but the Stones did earlier than that. And so what. They all really owe us nothing.

And I could never have imagined any Rolling Stones album being floated out there for free.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 12, 2014 11:15

This thread has a lot of very bad vibes. Absolutely unnecessarily. One migt like U2 music or one might not. One might think about Bono whatever he/she likes. But (I guess) not a single person here knows him personally or has ever spoken to him. Anyway, if some of the posts here were concerning The Rolling Stones, the thread would have been closed and half of the people posting here would have been banned, since a lot of the posts here are offensive and people only post them to deal with their own mental problems. And besides - a lot of the things that make people here angry about U2 / Bono apply to The RS / Jagger just as well.

Date: September 12, 2014 11:17

OzHeavyThrobber
Man some of you need to take a cold shower. Preferably not together.

Four blokes make some music and make it available to the world for free and all we see are childish U@ vs Stones stuff. At times one could be forgiven for thinking anyone beyond the age of 15 doesn't haunt these parts.

Bono is a rich guy trying to do some good. You may think he's this or that or whatever but he's only ever promoted kindness and love as far as I can see.

U2 said goodbye to rock relevance in 2000 with "All you can't leave behind" for mine but the Stones did earlier than that. And so what. They all really owe us nothing.

And I could never have imagined any Rolling Stones album being floated out there for free.

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2339
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home