Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: It's Been Ten Years Since A Bigger Bang
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 3, 2015 00:22

NICOS
So I have to edit my comment too confused smiley

Done............

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 3, 2015 03:18

flacnvinyl
Sounds like a fart.

I think some here would take that to describe their 1986-2005 output...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 3, 2015 03:55

Wuudy
TeddyB1018, they have released two songs since then, doom and gloom / One more shot!

Yes, and I like them both!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 3, 2015 04:27

TeddyB1018
Wuudy
TeddyB1018, they have released two songs since then, doom and gloom / One more shot!

Yes, and I like them both!

Unless you count all the overdubbed extra tracks like Following the River, et al.

peace

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 3, 2015 17:09

FrankG
I don't think there will be another album with new material for 3 main reasons. 1. I don't think they (Jagger/Richards) have the motivation or the inspiration to write new songs. The setlists over the past years have been quite conservative and don't show an eagerness to try new things. 2. Even if they had the motivation and the inspiration, they know that it will always be compared to the past and that it is almost impossible to please the fans and the critics. A Bigger Bang was a great attempt, but in the end it didn't renew a momentum, and songs of the album were quickly withdrawn from the setlist. 3. Album sales are dead. The Music industry has changed completely. Nobody knows anymore how to sell an album.

However, if they can find a project which is fun and relatively easy, I think there could be another Stones album. I'm thinking of a project like Stripped. Maybe paying tribute to their heros, the blues with occasionally an original song.

I WOULD AGREE IN PART,BUT
1. Yes though it appears they can write and produce new material with others (an obvious reflection on their relationsip), so they cant have totally hit writers block.
2. Yes but many of the old guard , Macca, Dylan, Rod Stewart, Cohen, for example, have produced new material which has been compared favourably with their past efforts.
3.Not if you look at the sales of some acts. One Direction, for example!

Yes, some blues standards and originals (as EC has done over the years) on a single album would be good.

Date: January 3, 2015 19:58

FrankG
I don't think there will be another album with new material for 3 main reasons. 1. I don't think they (Jagger/Richards) have the motivation or the inspiration to write new songs. The setlists over the past years have been quite conservative and don't show an eagerness to try new things.

Certainly looks that way huh. Yet Mick always says he hates to live in the past and blah blah blah, wants to keep "moving forward", whatever that means, and doing new things. So he essentially ignores A BIGGER BANG on said tour, does complete shit like SuperHeavy and... writes one new Stones song for another pointless hits comp? Uh huh. He just needs to admit it's strictly a nostalgia act now.

FrankG
2. Even if they had the motivation and the inspiration, they know that it will always be compared to the past and that it is almost impossible to please the fans and the critics. A Bigger Bang was a great attempt, but in the end it didn't renew a momentum, and songs of the album were quickly withdrawn from the setlist. 3. Album sales are dead. The Music industry has changed completely. Nobody knows anymore how to sell an album.

I wouldn't go that far, the not knowing how to sell an album. That's a huge assumptive statement that is not true.

Your point about a new LP being compared to their past - that's been happening since when? The 1970s. It didn't keep them from releasing such yawns as DIRTY WORK, STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE did it, yet alone anything past EOMS (after which, on the tour, Jagger said '@#$%& it, we've done it'). I don't think it's that at all. I think they're just done. It's that simple. No big deal. They did how many studio albums? Why bother at this point. Besides, the newest song they played every night on these latest tours was Start Me Up. And that was over 30 years ago. Some 50 year anniversary huh, to ignore everything past 1981...

FrankG
However, if they can find a project which is fun and relatively easy, I think there could be another Stones album. I'm thinking of a project like Stripped. Maybe paying tribute to their heros, the blues with occasionally an original song.

That would be cool. It would make sense. But... being old themselves, I'd think Mick wouldn't want to do that 'old music' now since he's so, you know, current with the dance scene and all.

Re: Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 3, 2015 20:12

My opinion on ABB is good, Mick and Keith years after returning to work together and ABB manages to be a great album, The only thing I do not like is the sound a bit plastic.

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 3, 2015 20:43

If that is their last full length studio cd I will be sad. There's a few good songs.

Date: January 3, 2015 21:02

It appears A BIGGER BANG is their last studio LP. Nothing has pointed to a new LP being recorded and it's been just over 10 years now since they started recording ABB.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 3, 2015 21:18

The album is too long and poorly recorded, the songs are average at best, their most irrelevant studio album by far and maybe their worst too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2015 21:28

GasLightStreet
It appears A BIGGER BANG is their last studio LP. Nothing has pointed to a new LP being recorded and it's been just over 10 years now since they started recording ABB.

Too much time may have passed and too many scars in the relationship. It's one thing to go onstage with a bunch of people and perform to adoring crowds. Quite another to sit down with someone and creatively collaborate.

Date: January 3, 2015 22:40

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Too much time may have passed and too many scars in the relationship. It's one thing to go onstage with a bunch of people and perform to adoring crowds. Quite another to sit down with someone and creatively collaborate.

Even when they did take one more shot it just turned out to be doom and gloom.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 3, 2015 22:43

georgelicks
The album is too long and poorly recorded, the songs are average at best, their most irrelevant studio album by far and maybe their worst too.

thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 3, 2015 23:14

KRiffhard
georgelicks

thumbs up

Never, not as long as Undercover and Dirty Work still exist.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 3, 2015 23:57

24FPS
KRiffhard
georgelicks

thumbs up

Undercover is a masterpiece in comparison with ABB, UOTN is better than the whole ABB album with the 2 outtakes included while DW, half of it at least, has some passion on it.

Date: January 4, 2015 01:33

georgelicks
24FPS
KRiffhard
georgelicks

thumbs up

Undercover is a masterpiece in comparison with ABB, UOTN is better than the whole ABB album with the 2 outtakes included while DW, half of it at least, has some passion on it.

I concur with you GL, although I'm not sure the half of DW with the passion makes up for the poor song writing.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 4, 2015 01:47

treaclefingers
georgelicks
24FPS
KRiffhard
georgelicks

thumbs up

I concur with you GL, although I'm not sure the half of DW with the passion makes up for the poor song writing.

Undercover may the only Stones album with one decent cut on it, Undercover Of The Night. You can throw the rest of it away and it wouldn't matter. Dirty Work is marginally better, with One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Winning Ugly and a couple others. But so much of Dirty Work sounds like it was hammered together and the seams are showing. ABB is an album of songs of relative quality with a couple highlights. It is far more coherent a work than Dirty Undercover.

Date: January 4, 2015 01:53

24FPS
treaclefingers
georgelicks
24FPS
KRiffhard
georgelicks

thumbs up

Undercover may the only Stones album with one decent cut on it, Undercover Of The Night. You can throw the rest of it away and it wouldn't matter. Dirty Work is marginally better, with One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Winning Ugly and a couple others. But so much of Dirty Work sounds like it was hammered together and the seams are showing. ABB is an album of songs of relative quality with a couple highlights. It is far more coherent a work than Dirty Undercover.

I respect everyone's right for a different opinion, except possibly yours.

Date: January 4, 2015 02:26

That is pretty bad. U is a great LP. It's just too different for some people.

In the 10 years since the Rolling Stones released A Bigger Bang
Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: February 18, 2015 14:16

Paul McCartney has released:

Chaos and Creation In The Backyard;
Memory Almost Full
Firemen - Electric Arguments;
Live in NYC
Kisses On the Bottom;
New.

In addition to this he has released remastered expanded versions of Band On The Run, Ram, McCartney I and II, Venus and mars, Wings at the Speed of Sound an Wings Over America.

Clapton has also released four studio albums as well as live work.

The lack of new Stones stuff is a real disappointment in this context.

Re: In the 10 years since the Rolling Stones released A Bigger Bang
Date: February 18, 2015 14:34

The Stones have so many fans who complain about their recent output. Market- and demand-driven as they are, they listened to those fans and in six years they released more music than they have in decades:

Exile Deluxe
Ladies And Gentlemen
Charlie Is My Darling
Checkerboard Lounge
Some Girls Deluxe
Live In Texas
Brussels 1973
LA I 1975 (11th)
LA II 1975 (13th)
Hampton 1981
Leeds 1982
Tokyo 1990
Toronto 2005
Doom And Gloom/One More Shot
Sweet Summer Sun

And soon: Sticky Fingers Deluxe...

Who's complaining?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-18 14:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 18, 2015 14:43

DandelionPowderman
The Stones have so many fans who complain about their recent output. Market- and demand-driven as they are, they listened to those fans and in six years they released more music than they have in decades:

Exile Deluxe
Ladies And Gentlemen
Charlie Is My Darling
Checkerboard Lounge
Some Girls Deluxe
Live In Texas
Brussels 1973
LA I 1975 (11th)
LA II 1975 (13th)
Hampton 1981
Leeds 1982
Tokyo 1990
Toronto 2005
Sweet Summer Sun

Who's complaining?

Better to go backwards then no direction at all I guess. Anyway, I think they as well as everyone else knows that's what we all want to hear.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: February 18, 2015 14:46

I gained some weight in the last 10 years.

But why would the stones bother? An album that not many will buy, and will be slaughtered over here grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 18, 2015 14:47

Plus the Exile documentry and the second 2012 Newark show was live on TV as was the second half of Glastonbury (the full show for those in the know).....

Notwithstanding the bonus discs off Some girls esp. and Exile it would still be great to have some new stuff...........

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 18, 2015 14:47

DandelionPowderman

Exile Deluxe
Ladies And Gentlemen
Charlie Is My Darling
Checkerboard Lounge
Some Girls Deluxe
Live In Texas
Brussels 1973
LA I 1975 (11th)
LA II 1975 (13th)
Hampton 1981
Leeds 1982
Tokyo 1990
Toronto 2005
Sweet Summer Sun

Who's complaining?

Plus there's been the Ed Sullivan shows, T.A.M.I. Show, Get Yer Ya Yas box, the Crossfire Hurricane and Stones In Exile films.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 18, 2015 14:53

What have the Romans ever done for us?...........

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 18, 2015 14:59

Any new Stones stuff will be wellcome....................we want new songs and a new album
I enjoyed a lot when ABB was released

Date: February 18, 2015 15:09

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Exile Deluxe
Ladies And Gentlemen
Charlie Is My Darling
Checkerboard Lounge
Some Girls Deluxe
Live In Texas
Brussels 1973
LA I 1975 (11th)
LA II 1975 (13th)
Hampton 1981
Leeds 1982
Tokyo 1990
Toronto 2005
Sweet Summer Sun

Who's complaining?

Plus there's been the Ed Sullivan shows, T.A.M.I. Show, Get Yer Ya Yas box, the Crossfire Hurricane and Stones In Exile films.

I knew I forgot something. Thanks thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 18, 2015 15:18

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Exile Deluxe
Ladies And Gentlemen
Charlie Is My Darling
Checkerboard Lounge
Some Girls Deluxe
Live In Texas
Brussels 1973
LA I 1975 (11th)
LA II 1975 (13th)
Hampton 1981
Leeds 1982
Tokyo 1990
Toronto 2005
Sweet Summer Sun

Who's complaining?

I knew I forgot something. Thanks thumbs up

And the 7" with the 1964 BBC recordings and the 1963 IBC recordings bonus CD on the deluxe box-set of Grrr!. winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 18, 2015 15:28

DandelionPowderman

Exile Deluxe
Ladies And Gentlemen
Charlie Is My Darling
Checkerboard Lounge
Some Girls Deluxe
Live In Texas
Brussels 1973
LA I 1975 (11th)
LA II 1975 (13th)
Hampton 1981
Leeds 1982
Tokyo 1990
Toronto 2005
Sweet Summer Sun

Who's complaining?

And I actually listen and enjoy much more many of that stuff than I do of A BIGGER BANG...

But I still understand the sentiments of the original post... There is some kind of special attraction and thrill engaged when it goes to new studio albums... Probably having lived during the age when those releases had a special meaning... You know, a brandnew Rolling Stones album, full of new music... Probably even having that kind of feeling is some kind of sign of of nostalgia...grinning smiley

I try to cope with the facts and recent currents, but somehow the idea that the band 'exists' only in form of doing concerts but not releasing new music just don't quite fit to the old(-fashionable) idea I have of Rolling Stones or rock artists in general...

But that said, just do the concerts but keep the vaults open, and I'll be happy...winking smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home