Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones talks about "Satanic Majesties"
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 5, 2014 01:09

I can't believe that this hasn't been posted here already,but I've never heard it before.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Brian Jones talks about "Satanic Majesties"
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 5, 2014 01:34

to me his accent sounds very similar to keith's. kind of sounds like a more upbeat and lively keith lol.

funny to hear him talk about recording with the beatles.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 5, 2014 03:18

Here is a thread that has a link to the whole radio program from February 2012, from which these youtube
excerpts seem to have been taken.

I reviewed the whole show, and transcribed the interviews, at that time, as follows:

My assessment. The radio show from 1969 itself is mediocre. BUT it contains very, very important content that I certainly have never heard -- about 1967-68 -- don't know whether others have. Namely how much Brian expounds and gives his opinion.

It's all Brian and Mick. No Keith.

And Brian and Mick are not in the same place at the same time. Literally--but also figuratively. They talk about Satanic Majesties quite differently, as we all might imagine would be the case, but to hear them back-to-back is extremely telling, and underscores the radical parting of ways ideologically and musically at that time.

And you can infer the power struggle. Brian makes suppositions and assertions about the direction of the band that are most certainly his own, at this point. But he is speaking for the band.

Again, this is several separate interviews they gave on roughly the same topics.

These recordings are a little frustrating because there's no time bar, so I can't say, queue for Brian at, say, minute 1:16.

The link above is PART 2 of this show. I didn't look for PART 1, but I may eventually. There are 7 Tracks within PART 2.

Here's my reportback of PART 2

Track 1: Beatles (I skipped)

Track 2: Stuff about Sgt Pepper's. Reprise of theme. Narration. Snippet of Brian at Monterrey Pop--Brian reflects the Beatles' opinion at the time that recording--not playing live or touring--is where it's at. That they can reach their fans more authentically through studio work. Very Beatles point of view.

Brian: You see, at the moment our important work is to be done in the studio rather than tracking baseball halls and stadiums and things around the country....people have seen it, and it's questionable what's to be gained by going around again. But there's a hell of a lot to be gained from letting them share our progression, because we are progressing musically very fast.

Common studio version of Ruby Tuesday

Narration mentioning Between Buttons and Flowers

Common studio version of Let's Spend the Night Together

More Brian

Brian: I did a Beatles session the other night, actually, on soprano saxophone...[narration steps all over his words]. Now there are soprano saxophones on the Stones records, a future Beatles record, and it's a funny thing -- you get hold of something and then put on everyone's record. It's great. It's a a very nice recording scene going on in London right now.

Mick from Jan '68 speaks about the Stones sometimes don't see each other for months, and they're in one of those phases now - talks about 1967 where they were "playing a lot and doing lots of things together and it made for some very interesting scenes."

excerpt of Take It Or Leave It

Question on rumor of Stones and Beatles recording an album together.

Brian: It would be--at a certain stage--it would be a very nice thing. We are getting very close, as far as work's concerned. Whether actually....we could...well. we COULD work something out together. From one point of view it might not be a good thing. Because our direction is slightly different from theirs, and the lack of distinction...because of the joining up of the two...might be lost. That's the only thing that could spoil it, I think. But there certainly will be "schemes." We spend an awful lot of time with each other now. And we've got a lot of mutual ideas. As I said, I did this Beatles' session, Mick's done Beatles' sessions and various things. Paul's done a couple of ours--and yknow it's already happening. Yuh. And that's not a bad direction.

Except of We Love You. Very brief mention of the Stones sitting in on All You Need Is Love.

That song is played in full. George Martin talking about the recording of it (nothing new).

Listened to some of Track 3 - songs from Between the Buttons - Mick makes some comments.

Skipped Track 4 - Beatles

Track 5: more Brian at Monterrey Pop

Brian: I'm just here for a very few days, just a little break from recording and everything.

Interviewer mentions the "court case"

Brian: Everything's gonna be all right. But the big job at hand now is to get the LP done. And we're spending an awful lot of time on it this time. It's more of a "production." We've really put some thought into it...because people are still liking our albums, so we're trying to give them something that will take them on a stage further, so they'll take us a stage further.

Excerpt from Satanic Majesties.

Brian speaks about the album in January 1968 - makes a fascinating observation about what precisely is interesting about Satanic Majesties - saying when people look back at it in the future, it will tell them exactly where the Stones were at in that 1967 period--

Brian: It's really, like, sort of "got-together chaos." Because we all panicked a little, even as soon as a month before the release date that we had planned, we really hadn't got anything put together. We had all these great things that we'd done, but we couldn't possibly put it out as an album. And so we just got them together, and did a little bit of editing here and there. Very little actually. We just sort of strung them together with more instruments on top and voices and everything, and they really worked. Because whatever people might think about that album, I think it's very valid as a comment on the Rolling Stones as they were in 1967.

Mick makes short comment on Satanic Majesties - with the best part being

Mick: And we had a lot of problems, and they all came out in the album. Problems on the album and problems on everything. So we just kind of made this album which sounds like sort of an elucidation of a problem.

Brian: We really did have a tough year with one thing or another. Brought about by, well, you could call it persecution if you'd like, or you could call it personal misconduct and the consequences thereof. However you approach it and however it is acceptable to other people to...

Mick: I don't think it's very lasting to us. The music was it's very groovy but I think we can do much more interesting things now.

Excerpt of She's a Rainbow.

I ran out of steam in terms of transcribing, but Mick says their process for Satanic Majesties was exactly the opposite of how he likes to work.

Brian says in another interview it was wonderful, and they actually "need to get back into orbit."

Excerpt of 2000 Light Years

Closes with Brian--

Brian: It's almost a non-album. You know what I mean? [half-sings] Negativity don't pull you through. [says with emphasis] Negativity *don't* pull you through. Really. You gotta get back in there. And sort of, as I say, revolve around the reality that we know is there. We know it's very important to be able to comment on it, and to see it. We can't get so far out...that's just a one-way journey to flipping out. That's no good.

[end]

I skipped
Track6 - Preview
Track7 - Credits
----------------------

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 5, 2014 04:23

Very cool to see that Brian's head still seemed in the game. Thanks for transcribing!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 5, 2014 05:01

Thanks for the video Deltics, Brian sounds quite intelligent and lucid. And thanks to you too Swiss for getting it all down, very productive of you! smiling smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 5, 2014 07:03

JuanTCB
Very cool to see that Brian's head still seemed in the game. Thanks for transcribing!

latebloomer
Thanks for the video Deltics, Brian sounds quite intelligent and lucid. And thanks to you too Swiss for getting it all down, very productive of you! smiling smiley

You're welcome smiling smiley I did it 2.5 years ago in this thread: [www.iorr.org] [in that thread straycat58
pastes an entire Brian interview from Beat magazine, from July 15, 1967 - from which these
youtube clips are from.

I'm SO glad this interview has resurfaced -- thanks for posting Deltics. I think it presents important
"snapshots" of Brian not sounding like a complete wastrel or lunatic. And that he's spot-on in saying
that Satanic Majesty's is a time capsule of the Stones at that moment in time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2014 20:01

Brian is so lost to time. It's really only the past few years that interviews have surfaced showing he was quite perceptive. Of course we didn't deal with him in real time. The people who did seem to agree that he could be sweet and then be a complete a-hole. It makes you wonder if he really did object to the direction of their music, and then you see what fantastic work Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed were and it's hard to understand. Sensitive creatures like Brian and Hendrix don't seem long for this world. 27 must be a very dangerous age.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 6, 2014 07:03

This is interesting for a whole host of reasons, not the least of which is hearing Brian quote Dylan. smoking smiley

But it sort of flies in the face of the myth perpetrated about him later: That he was not engaged in the group's activities or decision-making, etc. He certainly seems very thoughtful about what the group is doing.

Thanks for posting.

Date: September 6, 2014 18:19

71Tele
This is interesting for a whole host of reasons, not the least of which is hearing Brian quote Dylan. smoking smiley

But it sort of flies in the face of the myth perpetrated about him later: That he was not engaged in the group's activities or decision-making, etc. He certainly seems very thoughtful about what the group is doing.

Thanks for posting.

Yeah, but that was later. No one claims he wasn't involved in TSMR...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 6, 2014 22:41

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Thanks for posting.

Yeah, but that was later. No one claims he wasn't involved in TSMR...

I´d say he was quite involved until the drug bust in May of 1968...
...thus being part of most of the early Beggars Banquet recordings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home