Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: New book by Taschen : Ladies and gentlemen...The Rolling Stones!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2014 20:32

@ Stone601 thx for the reply!

RE the Leibovitz photo I suspect she keeps her pix for books published under her own single name.
Let's petition so she makes a book of her pix from 72 75 and (Toronto) 77! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: December 11, 2014 22:19

Maybe it's in the book "The Rolling Stones on tour" from the '75 tour. I can't remember right now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-11 23:55 by GJV.

Posted by: dougingb ()
Date: December 11, 2014 22:30

DCBA, that sounds like a great idea to me!!! smiling smiley

Re: Great New Stones Photo Book Spanning Their History
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 11, 2014 23:08

swiss
Title5Take1
From the new Vanity Fair Magazine

desertblues68
Lunchtime in a Sunny London. They were both so incredibly gorgeous! I would not have known which one to choose for a very short term relationship >grinning smiley<

desertblues68,

LOL I know! but it would always be Keith for me - Mick is some eye candy and has his charms,
but Keith is more my type of guy: the ultimate tough on the outside, lovely and nuanced on the
inside, and truly adores women. I was talking to a dear friend about this kind of man last night.
Some women know what I'm talking about. Altho some don't ever get to find out first-hand, or just
don't ever know guys like that. Men usually don't; unless they're that "genre" of guy themselves.
Many men see only the badass outside part and don't realize the sweetness and soul poetry that
coexists with a guy of that ilk. They're rare, but exist...most significant relationships I've
had have been with guys with that duality. You can see it in this photo of Keith here.

Great points. I agree about Keith. I'm actually a Mick-phile, always have been....he is endlessly fascinating to me, and he's the one I became obessesed with a young fan. But Id never want to meet Mick because I don't think I'd have anything in common, or anything to really say to him.
But Keith, in my heart of hearts, is my kind of guy as well. He has his macho armour, but is, as you said, a real sweetheart.
I think that's why his book was received so well with people who normally would have no interest in the Stones. His self-affacing humor, wit, and most of all, his complete and total respect for and toward women - there is a genuine tenderness and soulfulness. Not that MIck doesn't have it, his lyrics suggests he does, but Keith wears his real self on his sleeve, and that's endearing.
He is a gentleman, and although Mick still fascinates me, Keith is the one who has my Stones heart.
I would like to meet Keith, and I think I would actually like him even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-11 23:11 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: December 11, 2014 23:33

dcba
@ Stone601 thx for the reply!

RE the Leibovitz photo I suspect she keeps her pix for books published under her own single name.
Let's petition so she makes a book of her pix from 72 75 and (Toronto) 77! >grinning smiley<

In the Taschen book there are pictures of some 80 photographers, including Leiboviz and Bill Wyman.
She has published a book of photos of the tour 75:
"The Rolling Stones On Tour" but not easy to find.
Sometimes you will find on Ebay

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 02:12

I have bought a few Taschen books in the past so I am on their email list. Jill sent me an email about the Stones book so I wrote to her and asked if the autographs were auto penned and she replied "no all authentic hand written autographs. . . "

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 06:44

I had preordered the book, just got an e-mail from amazon.de that they will send it arround 20th december - nice christmas present!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 12, 2014 12:15

whitem8

I have bought a few Taschen books in the past so I am on their email list. Jill sent me an email about the Stones book so I wrote to her and asked if the autographs were auto penned and she replied "no all authentic hand written autographs. . . "

The effort for the handwritten autographs is once again described in the TASCHEN Magazine Winter 2014 (PDF):

"Compiling the definitive, authorized, illustrated history of the world’s greatest Rock 'n’ Roll Band isn’t just an epic creative enterprise. It’s also a mammoth logistical feat.

The greatest challenge was the element that will be most cherished by any Rolling Stones fan: the signature page for the Limited Edition. We produced thirty special aluminum cases to transport the signing pages to each of the band members. That’s four ultra high profile, endlessly globetrotting stars, each with different residences and offices around the world. So these precious pages travelled from location to location until each and every one was signed by Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie.

It proved quite the trip, covering thousands of miles across three continents. Some signing pages joined the Stones on Tour through Europe and the United States. At one point a few hundred pages were inexplicably held over by norwegian customs.

In total, it took three years and two round-the-world trips for each aluminum case to get all 1600 signing pages the mark of Ronnie, Mick, Keith and Charlie approval. Once complete, the pages voyaged by special transport to our binder in Italy. Carefully unloaded, they are then stored in a security vault to rival Fort Knox until the final, historic books are bound, printed, and ready for shipment. An odyssey of a journey, but what a Rock ‘n’ Roll destination: the ultimate endorsement to the Stones’ official photographic record. Satisfaction guaranteed!"

[www.Taschen.com]

[www.Taschen.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-12 12:25 by Irix.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: December 12, 2014 12:54

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: December 13, 2014 00:21

Got mine today--it's gigantic! Got it for $87 and some change from Amazon.com. It comes in a carrying case with a handle!

Date: December 13, 2014 15:27

The thing is f&cking huge!
there are several great unseen pics; a good one of Keith pg.158 with intense eyes. And then later on a two pag. series of sml pics from rec. se4ssions in late 70's to early 80's.
But very strange is that the 78 and 81 tours - both beautiful photo opportunities - are almost completely ignored. So is the DW era.

Date: December 13, 2014 16:50

Palace Revolution 2000

The thing is f&cking huge!

Pages: 522

Width: 40.6 cm

Height: 35.6 cm

Thickness: 6.9 cm

Weight: 5.3 kg

Date: December 13, 2014 20:19

Has anyone gotten the signed SUMO edition yet?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 14, 2014 00:16

I'm gettin' it!

Date: December 14, 2014 20:25

You need a reinforced coffee table for this edition........

It looks great though......

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 14, 2014 20:33

The Polaroid set by Jane Rose is priceless, some of them below, last one is from Jean Pigozzi.

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-14 20:33 by Honestman.

YOUR Personal Preview of the Taschen "Sumo" Stones Book
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 15, 2014 06:08

LOS ANGELES IORR'ers can see a special and fabulous exhibition at
8070 Beverly Blvd. (Corner Crescent Heights)now through end of January.

Jack Nicholson was one of the first people to arrive at the opening night
exhibition. Smiling ear to ear as he look at the framed prints of the Stones
decorating the Taschen gallery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-18 05:47 by stonesrule.

Re: YOUR Personal Preview of the Taschen "Sumo" Stones Book
Date: December 15, 2014 11:40

confused smiley Where is the special Preview?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 15, 2014 14:25

Do you mean those 17 pics on the website? They're fine, but $5,000 it's just too much money for me. Next time, maybe. cool smiley

[www.taschen.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 15, 2014 14:37

5K might be reasonable to some people I suppose. But personally I would buy a signed lithograph if I had that much extra cash. I did however purchase the regular edition of the book. Hope there are some great pictures in there.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 15, 2014 15:20

frankotero
5K might be reasonable to some people I suppose. But personally I would buy a signed lithograph if I had that much extra cash. I did however purchase the regular edition of the book. Hope there are some great pictures in there.

Yes, I'm pretty sure about that. But I would buy a ticket for a concert and travel to see the Stones, instead of buying that book. smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 15, 2014 18:04

Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-18 05:48 by stonesrule.

Date: December 16, 2014 21:05

Just got the XL edition delivered. Awesome book! My one criticism would be though that it looks like the photographic history ended in 2005. The Stones next 9 years aren't covered in the book. Otherwise, I love the book!!!!! >grinning smiley<

TASCHEN BOOK yesterday
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 19, 2014 22:47

I was at the Grove, an upscale shopping area, in Los Angeles yesterday. They have a Taschen store. They had the deluxe sized Rolling Stones book. It was impressive seeing mostly well known photos blown up that big. (And a few photos I haven't seen). I asked the store clerk how much and he said, $5,000. That's Five Thousand USD! I couldn't even find actual autographs on this limited edition version. I think he said there were only 1,600 produced. It would be great to jump in a big comfy chair and go through this monster of a book, but please, you'd have to be pretty decadent to throw away $5,000 on a book of photos.

Re: TASCHEN BOOK yesterday
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 19, 2014 22:53

24FPS
you'd have to be pretty decadent to throw away $5,000 on a book of photos.

Depends... If its'a pre-WWII Man Ray book, 5K is cheap!
But yeah for a Taschen "production" it's far too much, as they're not exactly the best book-maker in Germany : Steidl or Schirmer-Mosel do far better works.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 19, 2014 23:01

Get two ... one ta look at and the other for cuttin' the pictures outta

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 20, 2014 01:52

you'd have to be pretty decadent to throw away $5,000 on a book of photos

Decadent is certainly relative. There are a lot of very wealthy Stones fans and to some $5000 is a drop in the bucket. For someone making a million a year that is the same as spending $120 for someone making the median USA income of $24,000/year. And according to some estimates there are around 400,000 people in the USA alone earning over a million a year.

Nice coffee table piece but in general once you've looked at a picture book a couple of times, the thrill is gone. If you're a collector the value is obviously more complicated.

If you got to browse the book in the store, you've already got your $2500 worth. winking smiley

peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 20, 2014 05:21

Rockman
Get two ... one ta look at and the other for cuttin' the pictures outta

That's crazy man!

All ya got to do is take the first book and press it down hard on the scanner for a great copy of any image you want. That's how you avoid cutting up the second book.

The second copy can then be used as the bathroom copy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2014 10:30

....Yeah but what about me bedroom wall ?????????????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 20, 2014 15:20

Mine arrived Thursday. Under the tree, Merry Xmas to me...haha

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home