Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: New book by Taschen : Ladies and gentlemen...The Rolling Stones!
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 20, 2014 15:36

Honestman
The Polaroid set by Jane Rose is priceless, some of them below ...

Thank you thank you - any dates provided to those three?
The first looks 76-79ish, the second looks 78ish, and the one of Stu looks just like forever :E

Re: TASCHEN BOOK yesterday
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 27, 2014 01:49

Rockman
Get two ... one ta look at and the other for cuttin' the pictures outta

Mine's comin' tomorrow...I could only afford one, so there'll be no cuttin'!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2014 02:47

...tight arse!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TE ()
Date: December 27, 2014 06:02

Irix
whitem8

I have bought a few Taschen books in the past so I am on their email list. Jill sent me an email about the Stones book so I wrote to her and asked if the autographs were auto penned and she replied "no all authentic hand written autographs. . . "

The effort for the handwritten autographs is once again described in the TASCHEN Magazine Winter 2014 (PDF):

At one point a few hundred pages were inexplicably held over by norwegian customs.

Bstds, LOL....
At one point I was so proud of Norway and the Euro rehearsels.
The press almost completely left them alone.
Now this, LOL. So we lost the 2015 rehearsels to Toronto then...

TE
Oslo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-27 06:03 by TE.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 27, 2014 10:55

TE
Irix

The effort for the handwritten autographs is once again described in the TASCHEN Magazine Winter 2014 (PDF):

At one point a few hundred pages were inexplicably held over by norwegian customs.

Bstds, LOL....

Maybe BV just wanted to check the authenticity of the signings .... winking smiley

Date: December 27, 2014 11:15

dougingb

Awesome book! My one criticism would be though that it looks like the photographic history ended in 2005. The Stones next 9 years aren't covered in the book.

Thanks for the Info. Maybe it's better then to wait for a newer Edition of this Book, sometime ....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 27, 2014 12:34

That's almost right. There are 2 pictures each from Glastonbury and the Beacon Theatre, then there is one from Rolling Stone magazine last year. As usual it's a 1960s-70's affair. Maybe we're the only people that believe The Stones matter after that? Anyhow, there are a few nuggets mixed in there. I really like the Voodoo Witches as I like to call it. Photo taken in Budapest 1995. Always wanted that in great quality, so they met me half way in the end.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: December 28, 2014 09:36

Irix
TE
Irix

Bstds, LOL....

Maybe BV just wanted to check the authenticity of the signings .... winking smiley

LOL!!!

TE
Oslo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-28 09:38 by TE.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 7, 2015 16:32

David Bailey and the Stones: Working Class Heroes

Inaugural Taschen exhibit in L.A. unveils pop art that rocks

Steve Chagollan
Assistant Managing Editor, Features
@SteveChagollan

In the indefatigable Beatles vs. Stones debate, it’s clear which side photographer David Bailey falls on.

“I really liked jazz and the blues before I met (the Stones),” says Bailey, who was in town recently to attend the Rolling Stones showcase “It’s Just a Shot Away,” the inaugural exhibit of the new Taschen Gallery on Beverly Boulevard.
“I liked Willie Dixon and Bill Broonzy and all those guys, and so they immediately appealed to me with their music,” he adds. “Whereas the early Beatles were to me like a boy band until they made the “White Album.” With the Rolling Stones I had a connection. And I liked the idea that they dressed like people on the street, and not some idea that (Beatles manager) Brian Epstein came up with.”

Bailey, the model for David Hemmings’ character in Michelangelo Antonioni’s film “Blow-Up” (1966), helped fuel the white-hot ferment of ’60s Swinging London — a confluence of art, pop, politics and fashion. He became almost as famous as his subjects, who ranged from models like Jean Shrimpton (his lover at the time) and Twiggy to actors like Peter Ustinov, Jeanne Moreau and Oliver Reed to the infamous gangsters the Kray brothers.

At the Dec. 13 Taschen Gallery opening — where Bailey hobnobbed with such glitterati as Jack Nicholson, Pamela Anderson, David Hockney, Steven Tyler and fellow celebrity photographer David LaChapelle — Bailey was the star attraction. But it was the ever-photogenic Stones who were the cause celebre.

Curated by publisher Benedikt Taschen, the exhibit of approximately 100 photographs coincided with the release of Taschen’s “sumo-sized” “The Rolling Stones Collector’s Edition,” edited by Reuel Golden and consisting of photos by Bailey, Peter Beard, Anton Corbijn, Annie Leibovitz, Terry Richardson, Dominque Tarle and Albert Watson, among others.

“I think music influenced art in a way, and art influenced music; it was a two-way street,” says Bailey, who shot the album covers for the Stones’ “Out of Our Heads” and “Goats Head Soup.”

“There was a certain group in London that nobody knew about: Michael Caine, Jean Shrimpton, (fellow photographer) Terence Donovan — people who had a different attitude,” he adds. “In England we had a thing called the class system. And people like me and the Stones were sort of modest working class. And (the establishment) couldn’t (suppress us) because there was too many of us.”

[variety.com]

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 7, 2015 18:56

Just looked at the book in Taschen store in London. Fantastic photos on great quality paper. They have the number 1 copy of the special signed edition downstairs, it is incredibly massive! The copy is not for sale.smileys with beer

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: January 9, 2015 07:10

Finally got my book yesterday - wow! Have to take time this weekend to look at it

Anybody from Switzerland? there is a nice offer for SFr. 108.-- ($ 102.--/Euro 89.--) Rolling Stones

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 10, 2015 01:02

gipsy12
Finally got my book yesterday - wow! Have to take time this weekend to look at it

Anybody from Switzerland? there is a nice offer for SFr. 108.-- ($ 102.--/Euro 89.--) Rolling Stones

There's a ton of good stuff in it...you might as well plan on at least a week to get through the whole thing (that is if you plan on reading all the captions, which are surprisingly good also).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-10 01:24 by shadooby.

Posted by: dougingb ()
Date: January 15, 2015 20:26

Interesting NY times article on the book.

[www.nytimes.com]#

Date: January 15, 2015 22:25

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: January 16, 2015 03:16

1987? Anybody have some context for this image?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 16, 2015 04:33

"Mick Jagger in Car with Leopard" - Los Angeles, 1992 - Albert Watson.

I just came back from the Taschen Gallery in LA today, and this is one of the best photos. You can buy the sole Artist's Proof for just $80,000 (unframed). It measures 42 x 56 inches. The caption indicates that they had to place a partition (glass or plexi, can't remember) between Mick and the leopard because it was getting too friendly.

Between this one and the 1996 Anton Corbijn one of Mick dressed as an old lady, we see how fearless he is.

Posted by: sister ()
Date: January 27, 2015 09:21

Just in case no one knows,
yesterday in "Kulturmontag" ORF:
[tvthek.orf.at]
Right the first article,
not only photos of the book,
enjoy,

sister

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: January 27, 2015 11:45

I'd never seen the Mick w/ leopard riding shotgun pic - love it!
Albert Watson also created this fantastic Jagger / leopard morph in 1992:

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 5, 2015 03:11

Got the book today. My goodness, I thought it was some appliance I had forgotten I'd ordered.
Talk about your coffee table book, it covers the whole. No reading iit in bed, I guess.

I figure I'll go through a few pages per day.

Love the Jane Rose shots in the topic here!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 10, 2015 00:27

Am I wrong or misses this book any shots of Bob Gruen ?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 25, 2015 02:16

"It's just a shot away" exhibition in Los Angeles - [www.taschen.com]
Many photographs to see on the website.

Posted by: bluegreenvinyl ()
Date: February 25, 2015 20:24

what a lame rip off. same boring pix. just go to corbis. license the same ones and print your own book for free.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: February 25, 2015 20:31

Spanish version is out in Mexico for 120usd, really great price for great book!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:31

frankotero
That's almost right. There are 2 pictures each from Glastonbury and the Beacon Theatre, then there is one from Rolling Stone magazine last year. As usual it's a 1960s-70's affair. Maybe we're the only people that believe The Stones matter after that? Anyhow, there are a few nuggets mixed in there. I really like the Voodoo Witches as I like to call it. Photo taken in Budapest 1995. Always wanted that in great quality, so they met me half way in the end.

Can't wait to see it...
But I like that the book focuses on the 60s, 70s..
The post-80 period (in photos)has been chronicled to death in various books...
Most of us lived through that period, and the tabloid/enetertainment industry exploded to the point of oversaturation, even of the Stones.
Because of that, there is no mystery or aura to that period..we've seen alll in People, Rolling Stone and everything thing else.
But there still seems to be so much we haven't seen from the golden years (63-75)
I get excited whenever I see a newly unearthed photo from that period.

Re: TASCHEN BOOK yesterday
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:39

treaclefingers
Rockman
Get two ... one ta look at and the other for cuttin' the pictures outta

That's crazy man!

All ya got to do is take the first book and press it down hard on the scanner for a great copy of any image you want. That's how you avoid cutting up the second book.

The second copy can then be used as the bathroom copy.

lol..
I used to tear up those Stones books when I was younger....
The dilemma was also whether to preserve it, or put the coolest pictures on your wall.
When your 16-20 yrs old, they end up on the wall, with the book in tatters.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:43

That's crazy man!

EEEERRR well have you ever tried ta get Ethan Russell's Let It Bleed Deluxe edition inta a scanner ???? ... you'd need a block & tackle and a reinforced desk!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:53

Rockman
That's crazy man!

EEEERRR well have you ever tried ta get Ethan Russell's Let It Bleed Deluxe edition inta a scanner ???? ... you'd need a block & tackle and a reinforced desk!!!

I can only attempt to provide solutions, but you're boring me with the details.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 1, 2015 07:31

My (non-deluxe) copy arrived today. I'm absolutely knocked out by it. It's gonna take a couple of weeks for me to work my way through it. Lots of great pictures from the 60s that I haven't seen before which really surprised me since I've been along for the ride since '64. All photos are captioned and they really add to the viewing experience. It's only $102 on Amazon US with free shipping and it arrived only two days after I ordered it. Don't pass this one up! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: bluegreenvinyl ()
Date: March 1, 2015 07:40

glossy, over priced junk, imo. nothing special.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 17, 2015 03:23

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home