Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: She's the boss 1985 Vs Dirty Work 1986
Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: October 21, 2015 14:49

Way prefer She's The Boss, although One Hit To the Body trumps everything on both albums. Am I the only one who thought the video to Hard Woman was incredible....

Date: October 21, 2015 15:06

Love the album version of Hard Woman. I have the single with the Hooters, and, no I'm sorry, that version sucks...

It was cool to see Mick with the flying V in the video, but...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:14

kammpberg
Way prefer She's The Boss, although One Hit To the Body trumps everything on both albums. Am I the only one who thought the video to Hard Woman was incredible....

Yup. The Video was The Thing in the 80ies...who would bother about the Music it seems now 30 years later.

I remember videos with Sinitta, Samantha Fox, Madonna, 4nonBlonds...geee, it's hot in here...

and I also remember who's The Boss! Mick knows what he's talking/singing about...winking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:33

GasLightStreet
Just seeing the thread title made me cringe. UGH.

Uh, I'd have to go with DIRTY WORK. Under duress, of course.

A momentous day: our resident grouch refers to Dirty Work in a favourable light.

Olly.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 21, 2015 21:03

Dirty Work wins.

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: October 21, 2015 22:09

Olly
GasLightStreet

A momentous day: our resident grouch refers to Dirty Work in a favourable light.

Dang it... I think my pig flew away... sad smiley

I'm, uh, I'm picking She's the Boss, by the way, knowing I'm wiping out any IORR credibility I may have in a single post.

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: October 22, 2015 00:52

Both are positively horrific collections of "music".

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 22, 2015 02:00

Love ´em both. DW has more highs, but more lows. Remove the political baggage from STB and it holds up great. Hard Woman could be his best vocal ever.

The cover photo also surpasses the Stones´ generally woeful efforts (¨Primitive Cool,¨ OTOH ...).

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 22, 2015 09:08

There's no "winner" in this case. My feeling at the time was that both albums were not entirely "satisfying" or whatever, but had some good stuff on 'em nonetheless. Not more, no less. Everything else is simply splitting hairs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-22 09:09 by alimente.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2015 18:00

DIRTY WORK because of Keith's 2 songs, Harlem Shuffle and Had It With You.

Otherwise both are forgettable albums and giant globs of shit on the windshield of the Stones' legacy.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 22, 2015 18:55

I'd have to go with DW, although this is a REALLY tough one to ponder. She's The Boss has that tinny 80's guitar sound all the way through it; the bad production impacts the entire album. I think DW has a couple songs that stand out more than anything on She's The Boss. Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, and Sleep Tonight are those songs, for me. The loud drums and throaty vocals ruin the rest of the album for me, but not the whole thing. I still like those songs and enjoy listening to them. Whereas Just Another Night, Lonely At The Top, and a couple others are good songs, but those cheesy-ass guitar sounds and annoying drum effects really detract from the entire album's listenability. The singing is better on STB, maybe even better songwriting, but the production just highlights what were the absolute worst trends in 80's music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-22 21:13 by Tate.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2015 20:24

I would not say "Lucky In Love" was anywhere near as bad as "Back To Zero".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2015 20:25

Monkey Grip vs. IORR?

or

"Pussy" vs. "Short and Curlies"?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 22, 2015 21:12

'Lucky in Love' was a much better song overall than 'Back to Zero,' imo. So I agree. But I think 'Back To Zero' was maybe the very worst track, if not 'Hold Back,' on the DW album. 'Lucky In Love,' otoh, imo, was one of the very best tracks on STB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-22 21:15 by Tate.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 22, 2015 21:24

this is micks half of the blame for the stones becoming such a mess at that stage of the game.

his multi-tasking caught up to him and he had too many irons in the fire.by trying to do a stones album and his own thing so close together it just caused a clusterfck.

he should have just told the band "listen,we're fighting,the bands health isn't good,let's take a couple of years off.i have this thing i want to do and the stones are a mess right now so we'll just step back a bit."

instead they just kept forging ahead and things only got worse.the fact that they were even thinking about a tour shows how in denial they were about what a trainwreck they had become and keith running to the media with the whole thing just threw gas on the fire.

the music that came out of that time? dirty work vs she's the boss? it's like choosing a favorite deck chair on the titanic.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 22, 2015 22:38

lem motlow
it's like choosing a favorite deck chair on the titanic.

lmfao. Pretty good analogy and exactly why I refuse to be drawn in to this rather silly thread.

Posted by: Potbanger ()
Date: October 23, 2015 02:28

Tracks comparison ("winner" in bold):

Lonely At The Top vs. One Hit (To The Body)
Half A Loaf vs. Fight
Running Out Of Luck vs. Harlem Shuffle
Turn The Girl Loose vs. Hold Back (equally bad)
Hard Woman vs. Too Rude
Just Another Night vs. Winning Ugly
Lucky In Love vs.Back To Zero (equally bad)
Secrets vs. Dirty Work
She's The Boss vs. Had It With You
Sleep Tonight
Key To The Highway -- can't really count this one

Bottom line is that Sleep Tonight, Had It With You, and One Hit are SO much better than anything on She's the Boss that Dirty Work wins. But both, as a whole, really blow.

Date: October 23, 2015 02:30

Seems kind of ironic to be blaming Mick for Dirty Work. Look back at the clippings of the time and Dirty Work was considered "Keith's album". Mick's heart (for various reasons) were with his solo album / career and it was pretty much left to Keith to oversee Dirty Work. Perhaps he was in denial, but Keith was furious that the Stones wouldn't tour behind Dirty Work. Mick declined because he knew it wouldn't work. They were in the middle of WW3 and the quality of the album wasn't there. Mick certainly was right. Dirty Work is the low point in the Stones discography and touring for it would have been disastrous. And Dirty Work was largely Keith's album to oversee and put together.

Turned out Mick was right, the break was healthy. Keith became a band leader on his own, appreciated Mick more. Micks' solo career didn't go as well as planned and he appreciated Keith more. And the Stones came back bigger touring wise then ever before and released good solid studio albums.

But the failure of the quality of Dirty Work falls on Keith's shoulders...largely forgotten fact now.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 23, 2015 03:21

The way i put it is Keith's so called worst effort is better than Micks

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: October 23, 2015 13:38

I always had a weak spot for the album Dirty Work, though I understand its critics, especially regarding the "80ies" sound, the drums and the way Mick sings. Anyhow, I think that there are a couple of good (Had It With You, Sleep Tonight) and even very good songs (One hit, Harlem Shuffle, Dirty Work) on it. STB on the other hand as albums sounds to me too commercial, too "un-stonesy", though I like some songs of it.

Tracks comparison:

Half A Loaf vs. Fight
Turn The Girl Loose vs. Hold Back
Hard Woman vs. Too Rude
Secrets vs. Dirty Work
Sleep Tonight

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 23, 2015 14:27

wandering spirit
I always had a weak spot for the album Dirty Work, though I understand its critics, especially regarding the "80ies" sound, the drums and the way Mick sings. Anyhow, I think that there are a couple of good (Had It With You, Sleep Tonight) and even very good songs (One hit, Harlem Shuffle, Dirty Work) on it. STB on the other hand as albums sounds to me too commercial, too "un-stonesy", though I like some songs of it.

Tracks comparison:

Half A Loaf vs. Fight
Turn The Girl Loose vs. Hold Back
Hard Woman vs. Too Rude
Secrets vs. Dirty Work
Sleep Tonight

Always interesting how we all hear things differently, the first time I heard 'Just another night' on the radio, I remember thinking, "Oh, that sounds like the Stones, didn't know they had new stuff out".............

Date: October 23, 2015 14:36

UnStonesy was the point of Jagger solo and he's maintained that throughout his solo records career. Obviously most on IORR don't like his solo stuff. But unStonesy was the point, not a valid criticism. I think his solo career has always been interesting, sometimes absolutely great and to me the only time truly awful was the song "Let's Work" and his vocals on SuperHeavy and the Alfie soundtrack (which unfortunately both had really good songs ruined by his vocals).

Date: October 23, 2015 17:44

Olly
GasLightStreet

You should feel overjoyed.

Date: October 23, 2015 17:49

kammpberg
Seems kind of ironic to be blaming Mick for Dirty Work. Look back at the clippings of the time and Dirty Work was considered "Keith's album". Mick's heart (for various reasons) were with his solo album / career and it was pretty much left to Keith to oversee Dirty Work. Perhaps he was in denial, but Keith was furious that the Stones wouldn't tour behind Dirty Work. Mick declined because he knew it wouldn't work. They were in the middle of WW3 and the quality of the album wasn't there. Mick certainly was right. Dirty Work is the low point in the Stones discography and touring for it would have been disastrous. And Dirty Work was largely Keith's album to oversee and put together.

Turned out Mick was right, the break was healthy. Keith became a band leader on his own, appreciated Mick more. Micks' solo career didn't go as well as planned and he appreciated Keith more. And the Stones came back bigger touring wise then ever before and released good solid studio albums.

But the failure of the quality of Dirty Work falls on Keith's shoulders...largely forgotten fact now.

I doubt anyone here thinks Keith had anything to do with Winning Ugly and Back To Zero other than playing on them (it's even possible that Winning Ugly didn't sound so goddamned stupid before it was finished). Winning Ugly is clearly a Jagger solo song saved for the Stones. And part of what Keith worked on didn't make the album. Listen to Fight, Hold Back, Dirty Work and Had It With You and clearly Keith had those laid out since they all have snarling guitars. It's probably safe to say those are the backbone tracks of what make it "Keith's album".

Date: October 23, 2015 17:56

Swayed1967
It was Jagger’s solo debut and he obviously didn’t want to sound like the Stones – it was a fantastic success in that regard. And fans of Mick Jagger loved it. Besides, Hard Woman, Lonely At The Top, 1/2 A Loaf and Just Another Night, are as well crafted pop songs as anything on Dirty Work (an album which which fans of the Rolling Stones hated). So She’s The Boss wins.

And yet Jagger took a song he and Keith worked on since 1979 and used it to open his solo album. And... the album even had The Rolling Stones logo on it, as did the Just Another Night single.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 23, 2015 18:10

The only way I can compare these two albums is: I own Dirty Work and have never bothered to purchase She's The Boss. I'm not sure if that means Dirty Work wins because I actually thought enough to purchase it or if I have lost due to never experiencing She's the Boss as part of my collection. Note: Before anyone starts to label me as "Anti-Solo-Mick", "Wandering Spirit" has been one of my favorites albums since I purchased it on release.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 23, 2015 18:22

mr_dja
The only way I can compare these two albums is: I own Dirty Work and have never bothered to purchase She's The Boss. I'm not sure if that means Dirty Work wins because I actually thought enough to purchase it or if I have lost due to never experiencing She's the Boss as part of my collection. Note: Before anyone starts to label me as "Anti-Solo-Mick", "Wandering Spirit" has been one of my favorites albums since I purchased it on release.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Whatever you do DO NOT PURCHASE Mick's first solo album.

Date: October 24, 2015 03:07

It's beyond me how someone would love the Rolling Stones, but not buy Jagger or Richard solo albums. For me as a Stones fanatic, I buy everything Stones related. Every solo album and side project. Why not. It does nothing but expand your knowledge and appreciation of the "band" - all aspects of it. She's The Boss sounds dated, as does most of 1980's recordings. Jagger solo does not sound like the Stones, nor did he want it to, nor should it. You want to listen to the Stones, you listen to the Stones, not Jagger solo. But you're missing a ton of great stuff. She's The Boss is dated, but a good listen with a few GREAT songs on it. It flows and still sounds way better than Dirty Work. If you like Wandering Spirit (honestly who wouldn't - it's a great album), then why wouldn't you get all of Mick's solo albums. They're all at least "good".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2015 03:55

kammpberg
I buy everything Stones related.

If you really want to expand your mind and knowledge kammpberg, and if you don't have them already...

Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka
Wingless Angels
Monkey Grip

And what about Blondie Chaplin and Bernard Fowler solo projects? (I own none of these)

There's tons more 'Stones related' stuff you may be interested in...depending on how fanatical you are.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: October 24, 2015 06:49

If the best of stb and dw had been combined, we would have had a good album

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home