Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the stones music aint as sparse as we think
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 20:29

just thinking about the critisisms the band get for having relative poor output in recent decades when it comes to new material.

so i found a site that has listed every new release and its date.

the results were surprising.

results for each decade of new songs are as follows. a new song is either a studio release either written by the band or a cover version. it could also be a b-side or album release, or a live track previously unreleased in any version. outtakes as in the exile and some girls remixes count as new, even though they may have started recording the song decades earlier, its when it finished that matters.

1962-69. 148 songs.
1970-79. 72 songs.
1980-89. 59 songs.
1990-99. 40 songs.
2000-2009. 35 songs.
2010-2014. 30 songs.

the fact that since they recorded and released highwire till doom and gloom they have released only voodoo lounge, bridges to babylon and a bigger bang as official studio releases yet they have a back catalogue of approx 100 songs in that same time.

theoretically they could have released 4 studio albums in the 90,s, another 3 the next decade and 3 already this decade add in the 6 or so live albums, and some more from the vaults and we could have had more than 16 album releases since the early 90,s.

the paltry studio releases since then dont reflect the amount of material that has been available which is a lot more than people give the band credit for.

Re: the stones music aint as sparse as we think
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 14, 2014 21:30

You might be right but I think the quality of that material is the issue much more than the quantity.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: August 14, 2014 21:47

Do you think to be competent enough to tell us what is quality ?
To my mind it's really good as are good Goddess Alfie WOOD SOLO and so on. So I really don't care of your future judgement ... Best regards

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2014 23:13

I think my nipples just got hard.

Mind you, I was standing in the walk-in cooler for some time.

Date: August 14, 2014 23:28

And the "new" music from 2009-2012 (Texas, archive, CIMD, Ya Yas deluxe, SG deluxe, Exile deluxe) + D&G and OMS is nothing but top quality thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 15, 2014 09:56

DandelionPowderman
And the "new" music from 2009-2012 (Texas, archive, CIMD, Ya Yas deluxe, SG deluxe, Exile deluxe) + D&G and OMS is nothing but top quality thumbs up

I'll raise my glass to that sentiment smileys with beer

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 15, 2014 10:50

<<voodoo lounge, bridges to babylon and a bigger bang as official studio releases yet they have a back catalogue of approx 100 songs in that same time.... the amount of material that has been available>>

Available to whom? Have the Licks sessions been bootlegged?

The stuff from the Exile and Some Girls extras discs have been available in one form or another as bootlegs, and so most of that has been heard before, just not in the "finished" form of Plundered for instance.

It's great to have bootlegs polished up and remastered as official releases, but the fact remains that they haven't put out a new album of fresh, newly written, previously nonbootlegged material in 9 years, and they have no plans to record in the next year as far as anyone knows.

Creatively, more and more time goes by with less and less new material, and these days even Mick seems content to just celebrate the best of their back catalog, which is why he has in recent years been so generous with the archive releases, because he knows quite well that fans can only spend so much time during a show wandering back and forth for restroom breaks.

Date: August 15, 2014 10:52

<The stuff from the Exile and Some Girls extras discs have been available in one form or another as bootlegs>

Not everything, and certainly not the finished versions that in some cases were almost entirely new songs, with new melodies and lyrics.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 15, 2014 11:02

New songs from 2010-2014 30? I have only heard 2...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 15, 2014 14:14

Come On
New songs from 2010-2014 30? I have only heard 2...

Indeed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home