Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick and (quitting) drugs
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 12, 2014 19:17

It´s pretty well known that Mick was fired up on cocaine for the 81-82 tours, and it´s also pretty well known that Mick now is something of a health freak - special diets etc.

When did Mick abandon the drugs? Was he cleaned up and sober for the 89 comeback?

Re: Mick and (quitting) drugs
Posted by: chop ()
Date: August 12, 2014 19:51

I'm sure he still smokes pot...but I doubt he's touched any of the hard stuff since the mid 80's or so.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:31

what makes you sure about it? his eyes?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:44

I think he only admits to drinking wine. Even if he dabbled occasionally in anything stronger I would assume he used the self discipline he always did.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:57

This is not directly related to your question --which is a good one and I don't know the answer-- but
really interesting excerpt of Mick and Larry King talking about the propensity of humans to want to get
high, legalization of drugs, and Mick's thoughts on performing while high. None is surprising, but it's
such a lucid piece of interview.
- swiss

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 12, 2014 22:58

peoplewitheyes
It´s pretty well known that Mick was fired up on cocaine for the 81-82 tours, and it´s also pretty well known that Mick now is something of a health freak - special diets etc.

When did Mick abandon the drugs? Was he cleaned up and sober for the 89 comeback?

The 1975 tour was brought to you by Cocaine. All you have to do is see the videos on YouTube and hear his voice. His tongue was all swelled up and he could hardly say the words.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 12, 2014 23:26

well, i realize that all the tours up to 82 were (to some degree) fueled by booze, blow and weed. I´m asking when, in the 80s I assume, Mick cleaned up his act. And why

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 12, 2014 23:33

I don't know that anyone here could do anything but speculate about when or why... my guess is that he realized that he was getting too old to keep it up alongside everything else

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 23:51

Mick always seemed stable in terms of substance abuse, Bianca once called him a 'very disciplined man'..
(presumable discounting his sexual picadillos)
So I figure he dabbled, like most of them, with a little coke in the 60s 70s etc..
and according to that guy from 90211, forgot his name, Mick and Jerry were stoned or on something when he interacted with them sometime in the early 90s. Steve Jobs (or was it Wozniak?) has an interesting anecdotal recollection of introducing the new Apple computer to Mick in 1984...
He went to Mick's NYC apartment, and Mick was so out of it that Jobs ended up introducing the computer to Jade..
Wasn't he seen putting something in his nose in CS Blues before going on stage? I always assumed he took a few snorts to amp himself up before concerts since the 60s and on through the 70s...
But on the 78, 81, 82 tours, he was definately coked up to an extreme...and Bill even mentioned Mick's increased coke issue in his book during those tours.
That's the period he also grew that long beard. I always thought Mick was going through personal stuff with his divorce. I know people will poo-poo that idea because he's Mick Jagger, but how do 'normal' people react to divorce or breakup? Most of us suffer the personl loss.
Simply, I think that's what happened: he went through a divorce.
And then he eventually got his shit together.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 23:55 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: August 12, 2014 23:53

I'm sure vanity had a lot to do with it, wanting to look young and so forth.

But i think he was always keen on health and fitness, getting that from his father.

He wisely knew he was hitting the age where the body doesn't bounce back from the benders the way it used to.

Date: August 12, 2014 23:58

Didn't we discuss this recently? And wasn't it Teddy that had inside knowledge about Mick snorting smack regularly?

You're not in total control when you do that.

He also said in an interview from the 90s that it took a long time to clean up.

Date: August 13, 2014 00:14

DandelionPowderman
Didn't we discuss this recently? And wasn't it Teddy that had inside knowledge about Mick snorting smack regularly?

*stupid question alert*
Who's Teddy?

Date: August 13, 2014 00:16

stupidguy2
DandelionPowderman

*stupid question alert*
Who's Teddy?

One of the few with inside knowledge here smiling smiley Especially when it comes to Keith. Check out his updates on the Keith solo albums.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 13, 2014 02:51

Well Jerry says she gave him an ultimatum when they met to clean up before she would consider spending more time with him, so...to be taken with a grain of, oh nevermind ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 13, 2014 03:09

gotdablouse
Well Jerry says she gave him an ultimatum when they met to clean up before she would consider spending more time with him, so...to be taken with a grain of, oh nevermind ;-)

I forgot to mention that..

In 84, the time of Jobs' anecdote, Mick was still apparently dabbling in something and they'd been somewhat together since Mick's split from Bianca..

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 13, 2014 05:33

MICK WAS DOING BLOW IN 1985 ACCORDING TO BILL GERMAN BOOK, THINK HE STRAIGHTENED FOR THE MOST PART AFTER DIRTY WORK. NOTHING MORE THAN SOME WINE & THE OCCASIONAL TOKE AFTER THAT.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 13, 2014 06:15

DandelionPowderman

Yes, the interview with Ed Bradley (60 minutes). As to the other, yes, around 1982 or so, I recall a snorting smack rumor I once heard. For what its worth... From afar, my armchair analysis is that Jagger's personality and character don't lend themselves to drug addiction, despite on and off abuse, by many definitions at least.. in the past.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 13, 2014 06:19

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

Yes, the interview with Ed Bradley (60 minutes). As to the other, yes, around 1982 or so, I recall a snorting smack rumor I once heard. For what its worth... From afar, my armchair analysis is that Jagger's personality and character don't lend themselves to drug addiction, despite on and off abuse, by many definitions at least.. in the past.

I should also add, in case Proud Mary is not around, I cannot recall offhand, any Jagger self acknowledged insiders on this board offering too many unflattering rumors about Keith though.... of course I could be wrong...

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: August 13, 2014 08:06

I remember that interview with Ed Bradley,Mick said that he did drugs for about 25 years. Assuming that he started around 1965 or 1966,that would bring him to about 1990 or 1991.Maybe he stopped around the Steel Wheels tour. I saw 4 concerts on that tour,and they were pretty good.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 13, 2014 09:21

2 1 2 0

Date: August 13, 2014 09:45

SweetThing
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

I should also add, in case Proud Mary is not around, I cannot recall offhand, any Jagger self acknowledged insiders on this board offering too many unflattering rumors about Keith though.... of course I could be wrong...

I think you are this time, mate smiling smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 13, 2014 11:44

69firebird
I remember that interview with Ed Bradley,Mick said that he did drugs for about 25 years. Assuming that he started around 1965 or 1966,that would bring him to about 1990 or 1991.Maybe he stopped around the Steel Wheels tour. I saw 4 concerts on that tour,and they were pretty good.

I can't find the interview on youtube (ya'll probably looked too), but I remember it fairly well. Jagger said something in the line of "you think you're having a good time [on drugs] but eventually you realize that you aren't". He's asked "how long did it take for you to realize that?" and his reply is "Twenty five years [laughter]".

His response about 25 years is very quick and slightly tongue in cheek (or so I see it), so I wouldn't take it too seriously. Sure, he's probably serious about the fact that he took a while to "clean up" (or wisen up), but it might as well be 20 or 10 years.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 13, 2014 19:45

If you do coke past 50 you will be very lucky to see 60. Mick knows that and he also knows he can't compete with Keith on the drug thing as Keith is one in a zillion.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 13, 2014 20:12

interview you were talking about:

video: [www.youtube.com]

(in the last minute)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-13 20:17 by alieb.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 13, 2014 21:09

DoomandGloom

If you do coke past 50 you will be very lucky to see 60.

Agreed.

Date: August 13, 2014 21:42

Interesting left hand-technique. It looks like he's trying to get rid of his index finger at times smiling smiley

PS: White Line has a double meaning on the road... winking smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 13, 2014 21:53

According to AH it's not about cocaine indeed.drinking smiley

Date: August 13, 2014 21:54

Told you smiling smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: August 13, 2014 22:37

stupidguy2
Mick always seemed stable in terms of substance abuse, Bianca once called him a 'very disciplined man'..
(presumable discounting his sexual picadillos)
So I figure he dabbled, like most of them, with a little coke in the 60s 70s etc..
and according to that guy from 90211, forgot his name, Mick and Jerry were stoned or on something when he interacted with them sometime in the early 90s. Steve Jobs (or was it Wozniak?) has an interesting anecdotal recollection of introducing the new Apple computer to Mick in 1984...
He went to Mick's NYC apartment, and Mick was so out of it that Jobs ended up introducing the computer to Jade..
Wasn't he seen putting something in his nose in CS Blues before going on stage? I always assumed he took a few snorts to amp himself up before concerts since the 60s and on through the 70s...
But on the 78, 81, 82 tours, he was definately coked up to an extreme...and Bill even mentioned Mick's increased coke issue in his book during those tours.
That's the period he also grew that long beard. I always thought Mick was going through personal stuff with his divorce. I know people will poo-poo that idea because he's Mick Jagger, but how do 'normal' people react to divorce or breakup? Most of us suffer the personl loss.
Simply, I think that's what happened: he went through a divorce.
And then he eventually got his shit together.

Yes he can be a very disciplined man. I think since a year or so before Steel Wheels he concentrated his discipline in more creative directions and into touring and being fit constantly. Maybe a few recreational moments but nothing serious. Just wine but he could do a bottle in the early nineties and since '96 or so he gave that up too and now it's a couple of glasses. But his other 'picadillos' got a boost again; since '97 or so he was (back) in heavy competition in various clubs chasing girls which went on until he met LS.
I'm a couple of years younger but always admired his energy: after a show having a shower or a bath in his suite and something to eat and relax and around 01:30 or something going to a club with BF or somebody else 'on duty' :-) You could see the energy on his face even three or four hours after a show...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 13, 2014 23:06

peoplewitheyes
It´s pretty well known that Mick was fired up on cocaine for the 81-82 tours,

What garbage. Check Mick's then tour regimen here >>>[www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home