Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: RIP Robin Williams
Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 13, 2014 16:30

Very tragic indeed. A very funny man. I love his portrayal of Adrian Kronauer even though it is not factual at all.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 13, 2014 16:42

keefriffhard4life
i guess i liked one of his more underrated movies because i haven't seen it mentioned here DEATH TO SMOOCHY
He is hilarious in Death to Smoochy. If I remember its not his usual style of humor, its a bit darker. I think its one of the funniest things he did though.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 13, 2014 18:19

Robin Williams daughter had delete here twitter account because of insensitive people. people are sick.

[celebrity.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 13, 2014 18:26

A friend shared this with me last night about Scots and golf...pretty damn funny!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2014 00:11

Jeff Bridges, another great actor, remembers Robin Williams:

Robin Williams

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 14, 2014 00:52

A shame that people were giving his daughter shit, over her Twitter account. Some people are just @#$%& up.

Date: August 14, 2014 01:43

Rolling Stones fan Jimmy Fallon pays tribute to Robin:

Tribute

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2014 01:43

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 14 August 2014

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 14, 2014 01:46

Out of all his output, the only things I really enjoyed were Deconstructing Harry and The Birdcage, and I do recommend them. Very sad loss; I can only imagine the pain and isolation people feel before they commit suicide.

What is nauseating to me is all of the "best friends," especially celebrities, who are so quick to jump on the grief bandwagon, full of love and praise and sorrow for the miserable person who felt that death by suicide was their best option. This struck me too after the untimely suicide of L'Wren Scott. One thing that's clear - someone who kills themself feels completely alone and friendless in the world.

This isn't to say that all those who kill themselves are completely neglected by their friends and loved ones; I have no doubt that there are some people who try their utmost to support someone who lives in the depths of despair, to no avail.

Date: August 14, 2014 02:20

Of course, Bliss, there are hundreds of reasons to why people commit suicide. From the very banal reason to the strictly intellectual one. What strikes me is how often the most talented ones, like Robin or the Swedish young guy who wrote "Searching for Sugarman", goes away like that. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that with brilliance and geniality also comes frailty and sensitiveness? Just a theory of mine. I don't claim it to be true.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 14, 2014 04:02

It's mostly the t.v. show 'Mork and Mindy' from which I derive great memories of Robin Williams. The show was a bit silly but he was great on it.

He did a lot of films over the years, I cannot imagine that he ran into financial problems...maybe that'll come out later.

Posted by: canuguessmyname ()
Date: August 14, 2014 04:15

Here's Robin on Keef!

video: [www.youtube.com]

"Beauty is only skin deep, we're all the same underneath." (KR) Love Is Strong...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-14 04:18 by canuguessmyname.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 14, 2014 16:02

Guy I know named Mike Feder (you may have heard of him if you live in NYC and used to listen to WBAI-FM) posted some interesting thoughts on his facebook page. Here they are:

There’s plenty to say about the death of Robin Williams, and, if it is the will of Allah (or the whim of Yahweh), I will attempt to do that on my radio show this coming Monday on prn.fm.
And I don’t mean just poor Robin Williams’s life... I mean what he symbolized as an extreme version of what afflicts some comedians and performers in general.
For the moment, one thing…
In the New York Times article yesterday (Tuesday) that announced Robin Williams’ death by suicide, the reporter had this to say:
“The privileged son of a Detroit auto executive who grew up chubby and lonesome, playing by himself with 2,000 toy soldiers in and empty room of a suburban mansion, Mr. Williams, as a boy, hardly fit the stereotype of somebody who would grow to become a brainy comedian or a goofy one…”
Really? Hardly fits the stereotype? He fits the stereotype exactly.
Yes, the same lonely, chubby boy, playing with 2,000 soldiers (given the right balance of hereditary and environment) could also have grown up to be a general or a mass murderer. But, with the right amount of brains and talent, what else could he have grown up to be but class clown on massive steroids.
According to one article on the Huffington Post, Robin Williams was voted “funniest and least likely to succeed” by his high school classmates. Other colleagues and friends later on said he was always “on.”
Always “on”. Right.
Having known and worked with a few comedians and having had some similar childhood experiences (in my case it was lonely and skinny and about 50 soldiers), I feel like I know exactly what drove the poor man to such manic and depressive extremes in his life.
I don’t know if there is a biography of him—of course there will be now—but I have no doubt that Robin Williams was almost always ignored and neglected—probably by his mother—if not both his mother and father.
He was a genius of spontaneous comedy and cultural and political commentary but his desperation—which at times made you wince when you saw and heard it—most likely came from a hopeless, life-long attempt to just be noticed; just be acknowledged as a boy who needed someone (his parents) to see what a smart, funny, lovable boy he was.
Obviously I’m extrapolating (is that the right word?) from my own life. But I feel that I know what drove the man to behave the way he did.
The drugs and drinking were to lift him out of his depression or calm his mania. A man like that is always one half-step ahead of the abyss and has to run to stay out of it. Sometimes he got exhausted trying to escape and it overtook him.
Anyway, more to say about Robin Williams and comedians and performers in general—and I hope to have some comments pulled together next time I talk to you on the air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-14 16:02 by tatters.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 14, 2014 16:13

Interesting thoughts from Mike Feder, but he is obviously extrapolating, as he says. I don't think it's fair to blame his parents by claiming they ignored him. Maybe they did, but how does this guy know?

There hasn't been much mention of how Williams heart problems could have affected his state of mind. He had major heart surgery a few years ago and was reportedly on beta blockers. Heart problems can lead to depression, people feel very vulnerable and scared after something that life threatening. It certainly could have added to Robin Williams depression.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:50

I feel this comment is dead bang on,

The drugs and drinking were to lift him out of his depression or calm his mania. A man like that is always one half-step ahead of the abyss and has to run to stay out of it. Sometimes he got exhausted trying to escape and it overtook him.

Obviously after John Belushi died, Robin was able to hit the reset button, and learned to manage it, maybe quite well even. As external pressures increased in the last decade and he turned back to the drugs/drinking to cope the slope got very steep.

Just horrible.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:59

canuguessmyname
Here's Robin on Keef!

video: [www.youtube.com]

That was great. Never saw that. Hilarious.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 14, 2014 18:06

shadooby
Remember folks, nothing is so bad as to take your own life. Talk to loved ones, they are there for you even if you think they don't care!

LOL. I don't know if anything could be more simplistic and blind then this post.

Its like a lame public service announcement..

Hell yes there are things bad enough to take your own life, that's why we see it every single day and always will. If someone is living a tortured life for whatever reason and they have known for along time that they don't want to live any longer then things are bad enough for them to take their own life.

Date: August 14, 2014 18:21

stanlove
shadooby
Remember folks, nothing is so bad as to take your own life. Talk to loved ones, they are there for you even if you think they don't care!

LOL. I don't know if anything could be more simplistic and blind then this post.

Hell yes there are things bad enough to take your own life, that's why we see it every single day and always will. If someone is living a tortured life for whatever reason and they have known for along time that they don't want to live any longer then things are bad enough for them to take their own life.

Feel better tearing someone's point of view down, stannolove?

Date: August 14, 2014 18:41

treaclefingers
stanlove
shadooby

I could go a couple routes with this one..

1- That's funny because that's exactly what his post was doing. Many people have, always have, and always will decide things are bad enough that they don't want to live anymore..he decided they are wrong and he knows nothing can be that bad, despite not being in their shoes.. And you question me..

2- No don't feel better at all. I think this board should work like this. People should just post their opinions and no matter what their opinion is nobody should ever disagree..

Date: August 14, 2014 18:51

Things are never bad enough to take your own life? Clearly not. Maybe to a logical person. But not to a troubled person. It's beyond understanding, comprehension, explanation. Of course Robin Williams had it made (or whatever you want to say). But that doesn't matter.

That wasn't his point of view.

When the world figures that out it will be a better place. Until then it's all about things and how they help one be made or have it made.

Poor people in India, Jamaica etc don't have much and they are not any worse because of it, which means they're not committing suicide because they don't "have" things. Third World societies are not poor in the way of being helpless to the degree that that makes them "poor". They're poor in the views of First and Second World societies because of what they don't have. The true poor are starving poor, yes, but the poverty in India etc isn't people hanging out in the median with a cardboard sign...

They live their life.

Date: August 14, 2014 18:55

<One thing that's clear - someone who kills themself feels completely alone and friendless in the world.>

That is true, Bliss, but not necessarily how it is in reality...

Date: August 14, 2014 19:25

GasLightStreet
Things are never bad enough to take your own life? Clearly not. Maybe to a logical person. But not to a troubled person. It's beyond understanding, comprehension, explanation.

Its not beyond understanding,comprehension, or explanation. People for whatever reason can't stand being alive anymore, so they decide to end their lives..I totally understand it, and not sure why anyone can't.

If someone has medical or mental problems and their life is 24 hours of hell because of it, and there is no chance of getting better then how could I not understand it..

Date: August 14, 2014 19:46

stanlove
treaclefingers
stanlove
shadooby

I could go a couple routes with this one..

1- That's funny because that's exactly what his post was doing. Many people have, always have, and always will decide things are bad enough that they don't want to live anymore..he decided they are wrong and he knows nothing can be that bad, despite not being in their shoes.. And you question me..

2- No don't feel better at all. I think this board should work like this. People should just post their opinions and no matter what their opinion is nobody should ever disagree..

I respect your right to disagree and for everyone to have there own opinion.

But being mean about it just seems a little distasteful...totally unnecessary and doesn't shed you in a particularly good light.

But that is only my opinion of course.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 14, 2014 21:48

Robin Williams "had Parkinson's"

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-14 21:50 by Deltics.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 15, 2014 02:30

Yes, he REALLY was that great, and yes, he was a genius but he was a very sad man underneath it all, with human frailties and dark thoughts that tormented him. His " sub-par stuff" was leagues ahead of the bulk of the crap out there, but the best part of Robin was his compassion and humanity. On the news last night they showed him with a little girl who was a cancer patient at St Jude's Children's Hospital...the way he made that little girl laugh, even though she'd lost all of her hair to the chemo was something to see....well, that was it for me...the tears came and would not stop...yes, he WAS that great and he will be missed by SO MANY....like most of the world.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 15, 2014 04:27

Firstly,
Robin Williams did not take his own life. Depression did. Depression yearns to get you alone and feeds off the loneliness and isolation. Depression is insidious and for some of us it is much more than just talking with friends and loved ones. While that helps it does not hold depression at bay. It is so hard for people who have never been severely depressed to fathom the pain, fear, and helplessness that descends on one's soul. . . And often there comes a time when the pain is so great there is a existential crisis where one questions "what is the point of living through so much pain?" "why am I here?" and "Who really cares about me?" It is a powerful voice, a voice that cuts through all rational thinking and feeling, and brings a person immense amount of pain and suffering. And when confronted with so much pain and suffering often the natural solution is to end it all. This sad and tragic human experience is hard to describe to those who have not been severely depressed. And often is confusing when looking at someone's life and all the material possessions they may have, and the seemingly perfect life they may have...yet that is not what matters. It is that loss of connection to what defines us as a human and the purpose for our existence.

Date: August 15, 2014 19:28

stanlove
GasLightStreet
Things are never bad enough to take your own life? Clearly not. Maybe to a logical person. But not to a troubled person. It's beyond understanding, comprehension, explanation.

Its not beyond understanding,comprehension, or explanation. People for whatever reason can't stand being alive anymore, so they decide to end their lives..I totally understand it, and not sure why anyone can't.

If someone has medical or mental problems and their life is 24 hours of hell because of it, and there is no chance of getting better then how could I not understand it..

My point was for some people, those who shake their heads and say things like 'But they had it made' etc, it is beyond understanding, comprehension or explanation. That's why they say things like 'It's never bad enough to not talk to your family' or 'What a selfish thing to do' or like shadooby said, "nothing is so bad as to take your own life."

For that person that killed themselves, in this case Robin Williams, it IS something that is beyond explanation, understanding, that bad etc for someone. 'Why didn't he just get help?' Because it wasn't enough. Or whatever. Something was clear to him to end it that doesn't or won't make sense for some people. Logic of love and talking with family and therapy does not or may not work, at least for Robin Williams, because it seems anyway that that was occurring, but just as much so for anyone that commits suicide. Add on top of that a debilitating disease and, well, if they see no way out without suffering - which may really ramp up how they already feel - and they want to end it, that's what makes sense to them.

And that's what (some) people have trouble understanding, comprehending or explaining. I'm not arguing, just clarifying.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 16, 2014 23:35

I am late ....just a few words to say I was really shocked ; I wouldn't have think he could do that ;what a great actor he was !

Date: August 17, 2014 02:28

A Robin Williams tribute clip:

Tribute

Date: August 17, 2014 04:05

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but regardless, it's worth an extra post.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-20 23:39 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home