Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tumbling Dice vs. Plundered My Soul
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 7, 2014 00:12

I guess I must be just looking for a little abuse to be heaped my way.

PMS is like tumbling dice's little sister. Trying very hard to be just like her...and in this case succeeding.

Love the vox ... Love the lead guitar.

Re: Tumbling Dice vs. Plundered My Soul
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 7, 2014 00:26

Yes! I heard that in the first measure...Musically, it has that slightly ramshackle, yet soulful throb..there's a bigness...
Except I see PMS as it's older sister, all grown up and wiser...
whereas TD was youthful, hopeful and strutting, trying to convince this woman to 'roll me'...roll the dice, take a chance etc..
PMS is filled with all the regret of sins, betrayals, 'indiscretions', selfish indulgence and actually acknowledging all those fuckups.
It's a sad song about destroying trust and losing something vital in the process, and living with that regret.
I'll ask further for the abuse to be heaped on me by saying that PMS is as good, maybe even more urgent that TD just because it comes later in life.
It's like that track was just sitting there, in a can, in the ether or wherever they sit...and waiting for Mick to grow up and realize that we all shape our life's disapointments.
Ok, that's alot of conjecture, but the song has soul, and Jagger's lyrics and delivery have real urgency and heart.
I've said it before: this should be their last great song.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-07 00:30 by stupidguy2.

Date: August 7, 2014 00:35

What she just said...magnificent SG2

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2014 00:55

It's the bass, baby.

Date: August 7, 2014 01:05

Never thought of it before... I suppose TD & PMS sound fairly similar...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 7, 2014 01:23

This must be the twin?

Date: August 7, 2014 01:56

treaclefingers
What she just said...magnificent SG2

You know, many fans snicker at that kind of analysis. I have been accused of reading too much into lyrics, songs etc..
As if I'm mistaken to believe that Mick or Keith may have actual real-life emotions and experiences that seep into their music.
How silly of me...
Some fans like their Stones footloose, fancy-free and too tough to cry or whatever.
I'd like to think there's more there.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 7, 2014 01:57

Yes, it has a similar vibe. That's been discussed here before. Perhaps they didn't finish it at the time because it was too similar, and Dice is the better tune (though I love PMS).

Date: August 7, 2014 02:07

stupidguy2
Yes! I heard that in the first measure...Musically, it has that slightly ramshackle, yet soulful throb..there's a bigness...
Except I see PMS as it's older sister, all grown up and wiser...
whereas TD was youthful, hopeful and strutting, trying to convince this woman to 'roll me'...roll the dice, take a chance etc..
PMS is filled with all the regret of sins, betrayals, 'indiscretions', selfish indulgence and actually acknowledging all those fuckups.
It's a sad song about destroying trust and losing something vital in the process, and living with that regret.
I'll ask further for the abuse to be heaped on me by saying that PMS is as good, maybe even more urgent that TD just because it comes later in life.
It's like that track was just sitting there, in a can, in the ether or wherever they sit...and waiting for Mick to grow up and realize that we all shape our life's disapointments.
Ok, that's alot of conjecture, but the song has soul, and Jagger's lyrics and delivery have real urgency and heart.
I've said it before: this should be their last great song.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: August 7, 2014 03:08

PMS is played on a regular basis in my household. I adore this song. Would love to hear the original before the fixes

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 7, 2014 03:18

both songs are good with diffrent beat,love them both.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 7, 2014 03:28

to me it's like under my thumb's great grand niece - distantly related and in name only.

Date: August 7, 2014 05:59

And the weariness, sadness is perfectly heightened by the repeating minor 7 chord.. And how that chord is accented on the first beat in ther verses.
I don't know why they don't play this live..
Maybe, like Let it Loose, it's too perfect a recording.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 7, 2014 07:04

Easily the best song since the times of the Some Girls album in my opinion. Wish they would release more like it.

Date: August 7, 2014 07:10

frankotero
Easily the best song since the times of the Some Girls album in my opinion. Wish they would release more like it.

Yeah, it was a pity that it was 'buried' in a deluxe package.

I wonder whether it would have charted if it had been released on a 'new' album, with proper promo.

Love to hear this live.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2014 07:34

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 7, 2014 09:20

What time is kick off?

Date: August 7, 2014 10:15

It was the first thing that came to mind - that PMS had the same vibe as the slow 1973 live versions of TD.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: August 7, 2014 12:25

DandelionPowderman
It was the first thing that came to mind - that PMS had the same vibe as the slow 1973 live versions of TD.

Good point!
Love PMS, the sound, the rawness - a perfect little gem for the Exile rerelease.
DonĀ“t think we will hear the original backingtrack from Nellcote anytime soon, though.
(But I have been wrong about things in life)

Date: August 7, 2014 17:05

DandelionPowderman

MT did the lead guitar in 2010 along with MJs new vox.

I really think they did an amazing job rescuing that track.

I wonder if they'd even discussed playing it live. That would have had this board light up like a Christmas tree.

Date: August 7, 2014 17:06

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

MT did the lead guitar in 2010 along with MJs new vox.

I really think they did an amazing job rescuing that track.

I wonder if they'd even discussed playing it live. That would have had this board light up like a Christmas tree.

I would have preferred We Had It All and Claudine first winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2014 17:12

I think PMS is awesome but I'm not inclined or declined to put it in the same category as Tumbling Dice. However, the two certainly go well together.

They've had some songs that have been similar... Jumpin' Jack Flash and When The Whip Comes Down is a good one. But not many songs are similar considering the gargantuan size of the catalogue. Street Fighting Man and One More Shot ha ha ha ha.

What was it, Neighbours is Send It To Me only faster? I've never understood that one. That's bunk.

Date: August 7, 2014 17:19

<Jumpin' Jack Flash and When The Whip Comes Down is a good one.>

Really?

I can see similarities in Silver Train/All Down The Line - Soul Survivor/It Must Be Hell - Paint it, Black/So Divine - Brand New Set Of Rules/Streets Of Love - (and yes, some minor similarities winking smiley ) with Love Is Strong/Wicked As It Seems

But Whip and JJF?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 7, 2014 17:31

Yep, "Plundered" is "Tumbling Dice"'s lost cousin, and me thinks the best thing they have released since TATTOO YOU. But, still, I wouldn't quite compare those two songs in quality, since "Dice" is one of the most perfect recordings they ever have done... The song ("Plundered") has that 'magic' the best Stones cuts have. When it was released; it really made the material they had released for years and decades by then to sound rather cheap, thin and pointless.

- Doxa

Date: August 7, 2014 17:33

Yeah. The riffage - it's similar. I know they're in different keys. Perhaps the LP version is not as obvious but listen to the live one from SUCKING and you'll understand.

Wicked As Is Strong... ah gimme the lowdowwwwnnnnn.

Date: August 7, 2014 17:42

GasLightStreet
Yeah. The riffage - it's similar. I know they're in different keys. Perhaps the LP version is not as obvious but listen to the live one from SUCKING and you'll understand.

Wicked As Is Strong... ah gimme the lowdowwwwnnnnn.

Jumping Satisfaction Comes Down, I hear you..

Date: August 7, 2014 17:50

Yeah, ha ha, JJF and Satisfaction are similar too!

I love how they rip themselves off once in a while. Sad Sad Sad is Brown Sugar just... backwards and inside out; Sleep Tonight is the bridge from Coming Down Again; Love Is Strong is Wicked As It... oh wait. Nevermind.

Date: August 7, 2014 23:03

Good call with CDA and ST! The latter's piano intro is just a less developed rendition of the CDA-intro.

The riff in Baby Break It Down and the rocking riff in Thru And Thru are very similar as well. Rough Justice and YGMR... Well, there is more in there smiling smiley

Date: August 7, 2014 23:47

Doxa
Yep, "Plundered" is "Tumbling Dice"'s lost cousin, and me thinks the best thing they have released since TATTOO YOU. But, still, I wouldn't quite compare those two songs in quality, since "Dice" is one of the most perfect recordings they ever have done... The song ("Plundered") has that 'magic' the best Stones cuts have. When it was released; it really made the material they had released for years and decades by then to sound rather cheap, thin and pointless.

- Doxa

The first time I heard it, at work on my computer with cheap ear buds...
I could tell within that first opening verse that this song was going to be something special. It had a feel that I can't really describe except to say that it sounded soulful and real. Jagger's voice was free of all the affectations he has so often used post-81.
I had stopped expecting the Stones to move me like that ever again. And they did it. I think its up there with the greats and it will get better and better.

Date: August 7, 2014 23:52

stupidguy2
Doxa

- Doxa

The first time I heard it, at work on my computer with cheap ear buds...
I could tell within that first opening verse that this song was going to be something special. It had a feel that I can't really describe except to say that it sounded soulful and real. Jagger's voice was free of all the affectations he has so often used post-81.
I had stopped expecting the Stones to move me like that ever again. And they did it. I think its up there with the greats and it will get better and better.

I was right with you up to the affectation-part

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home