Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Ever talked with Keith, Mick, Charlie or Ronnie personally?
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 13, 2014 22:59

EJM
Green Lady
latebloomer
Chris Fountain
It's no big deal if I meet them or not. Yes, I appreciate the music and concerts but I refuse to reach out to them personally unless they reach out to me.

I'm with you, Chris. In fact, I'm quite annoyed with Keith right now, he was supposed to send me that blue jacket weeks ago and I still haven't gotten it. If he thinks I'm calling first, he is sadly mistaken.

He's probably going to wear it in Australia.
Nooooooo!

Well in that case, I'll give him a bit more time.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 13, 2014 23:02

stonesrule
Oh Late Bloomer...that Keith. When will you learn that you just can't count on him?

He probably spilled a "health drink" on it and was too mortified to send it on to you.

Yes, that does sound like something Keith would do...but I can always count on The Rolling Stones, with or without Keith's lovely jacket. They never fail to lift my spirits.smiling smiley

Posted by: Sister Marie ()
Date: July 14, 2014 01:30

Nice stories, keep them coming! thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 14, 2014 01:44

DoomandGloom
I've met and spent time with all The Stones except Bill and Taylor. I was always afraid of Charlie and could not hold a conversation beyond "good morning." If you work with stars sometimes there's some that freeze you up and make you act awkward. Charlie and most of the principles from "The Last Waltz" had that effect on me. Back to point, I had the luxury to hire Nicky Hopkins for a recording session before I had much experience. He was flown in from LA and we recorded him on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. We being kids directed him like crazy. "Play it more like TWFNO" and stuff like that. He obliged, told us an arm full of tales and then announced he had done all he could do for the recording. We then asked him to play B-3 on another tune and he hesitated, saying it's not what he normally does. Still he obliged with a few takes. I doubt this was his last recording session, circa 1986??? but it had to be one of them. Yes, he was way cool, played beautifully and an archetypical pro session man. I am honored to have spent an afternoon with him. RIP.... BTW I had a terrible time understanding Keith's accent and slur back then. "arrrr waaa listin baaak" (I want to listen back). There was a guy on staff with special needs kids at home and he was the best interpreter. These days Keith talks clearer but he'd talk to me and I'd just say yes, nod my head and do nothing.

D&G-! Why nervous about Charlie?

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 14, 2014 04:20

I rode the elevator with Theodora and Alexandra in Shanghai. Chatted with Darryl, Bernard, and Ronnie at hotel after the show. Actually, chatted with Ronnie and Bo Diddley in Raleigh, NC in 1987 during their Gunslingers Tour. Chatted with Keith briefly in Singapore this year and once before in London; he was out and about with Patti. Sat next to Angela at Slane Castle and she signed the setlist for me. Had a lovely chat with Shirley Watts at the O2 and she said she actually remembered seeing me at previous shows. I asked her to tell Charlie to keep it up and she said that he will probably need to catch up on a lot of sleep once he got home before dong any more shows! She was such a lovely lady to chat with. Ran into Patti, Jo, and Shirley (and other friends) whilst out shopping in Paris once. That's about it.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 14, 2014 04:38

I stammered out a few words to Keith when I met him outside the Orpheum in Boston after soundcheck on the Main Offender tour (Feb 13th... the one that was broadcast on Japanese TV). Snuck into the soundcheck, too - it was great. They played "Somethin' Else" about 5 times.

I passed Mick on the street in Manhattan this past January - he saw me recognize him and gave me a tight smile as he passed. No dialogue, though.

But when Ronnie did a signing for his autobiography in NYC on Halloween '07, I told him that the "Miss Judy's Farm" riff was the filthiest thing I'd ever heard. He stopped signing, stood up, and grabbed my hand with both of his and started shaking it furiously while yelling "Yeah, man! Yeah! Thanks! Great! Yeah!" I just smiled and nodded like an idiot. It was probably the best conversation I've ever had, come to think of it.

After I left his table, I walked by the Wood family posse. Leah's husband pulled me aside - "What did you say to him?" "I told him how much I loved the 'Miss Judy's Farm' guitar riff." Then Jo was like "Oh, no wonder! Nobody ever talks to him about the Faces!" I wound up chatting with Jo, Leah, Mr. Leah, and Jamie for a couple of minutes - you couldn't ask to meet nicer, more gracious people. Jo, especially, was an absolute sweetheart.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:11

DoomandGloom
I had the luxury to hire Nicky Hopkins for a recording session before I had much experience. He was flown in from LA and we recorded him on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. We being kids directed him like crazy. "Play it more like TWFNO" and stuff like that. He obliged, told us an arm full of tales and then announced he had done all he could do for the recording. We then asked him to play B-3 on another tune and he hesitated, saying it's not what he normally does. Still he obliged with a few takes. I doubt this was his last recording session, circa 1986??? but it had to be one of them. Yes, he was way cool, played beautifully and an archetypical pro session man. I am honored to have spent an afternoon with him. RIP

Strange question, D&G, but was this by chance a Belinda Carlisle session?

Posted by: britstones ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:49

I haven't gotten the chance to talk to any of the them in person, but when I was living in Vancouver, I did get to talk to Keith on the Rockline radio show in '91, I think it was. He was promoting the live Winos album. I squeaked in as the last caller. I asked about the possibility of a live Stones boxset of unreleased tunes from past tours. He figured it sounded like a good idea, would institute a search & give me a call, never heard back from him for some reason. lol.

My luck held in getting through to Ronnie & Rod on Rockline when they were promoting Rod's Unplugged & Seated album. The boys were having a good time in the studio. When Ronnie heard I was from Vancouver he gave the city a plug as the topless bar capital of the world. I asked about the possibility of a live disc from his '92 solo tour. He liked that he got the chance to plug his up coming live album Slide On Live. Still have the tapes I recorded of those radio shows somewhere, and very thrilled to get through.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:54

JuanTCB

But when Ronnie did a signing for his autobiography in NYC on Halloween '07, I told him that the "Miss Judy's Farm" riff was the filthiest thing I'd ever heard. He stopped signing, stood up, and grabbed my hand with both of his and started shaking it furiously while yelling "Yeah, man! Yeah! Thanks! Great! Yeah!" I just smiled and nodded like an idiot. It was probably the best conversation I've ever had, come to think of it.

I agree with you and Ronnie. grinning smiley Man, he was great with the Faces.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 14, 2014 09:40

Some great reads.

Met Bobby keys at a Manchester hotel, really nice guy.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 14, 2014 10:47

there have been some very kind words to me from keith and ronnie and mick (more gestures than words) when on stage, several times over the years....

and i had the ackward meet-and-greet where keith held my hand, walked me back against the wall, and stared at me silently with sunglasses on as i stammered the same opening line (he later replied appropriately days later at a show on the other side of the country as i had a spot at end of runway in atlantic city)..............

had a normal conversation with charlie who he said he was vegetarian and had 10 dogs

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: July 14, 2014 14:07

I meet Jagger and Keith very often!As soom as i'm dreaming at night! I'd really talked with Darryl and Chuck at the Lisboa airport.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 14, 2014 14:27

Rocky Dijon
DoomandGloom
I had the luxury to hire Nicky Hopkins for a recording session before I had much experience. He was flown in from LA and we recorded him on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. We being kids directed him like crazy. "Play it more like TWFNO" and stuff like that. He obliged, told us an arm full of tales and then announced he had done all he could do for the recording. We then asked him to play B-3 on another tune and he hesitated, saying it's not what he normally does. Still he obliged with a few takes. I doubt this was his last recording session, circa 1986??? but it had to be one of them. Yes, he was way cool, played beautifully and an archetypical pro session man. I am honored to have spent an afternoon with him. RIP

Strange question, D&G, but was this by chance a Belinda Carlisle session?
No a band called "The Insiders"....

Date: July 14, 2014 14:29

duke richardson
DoomandGloom
I've met and spent time with all The Stones except Bill and Taylor. I was always afraid of Charlie and could not hold a conversation beyond "good morning." If you work with stars sometimes there's some that freeze you up and make you act awkward. Charlie and most of the principles from "The Last Waltz" had that effect on me. Back to point, I had the luxury to hire Nicky Hopkins for a recording session before I had much experience. He was flown in from LA and we recorded him on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. We being kids directed him like crazy. "Play it more like TWFNO" and stuff like that. He obliged, told us an arm full of tales and then announced he had done all he could do for the recording. We then asked him to play B-3 on another tune and he hesitated, saying it's not what he normally does. Still he obliged with a few takes. I doubt this was his last recording session, circa 1986??? but it had to be one of them. Yes, he was way cool, played beautifully and an archetypical pro session man. I am honored to have spent an afternoon with him. RIP.... BTW I had a terrible time understanding Keith's accent and slur back then. "arrrr waaa listin baaak" (I want to listen back). There was a guy on staff with special needs kids at home and he was the best interpreter. These days Keith talks clearer but he'd talk to me and I'd just say yes, nod my head and do nothing.

No good reason, just happened. I was really afraid of Dr. John too.... I once shared a table with Chuck and mistook him for a high school friend, I'd seen The Allmans so many times.. He was amused and played me for a bit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 14:31 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 14, 2014 15:48

Doom and Gloom, what did you do for them?

Date: July 14, 2014 16:01

DoomandGloom
duke richardson
DoomandGloom

No good reason, just happened. I was really afraid of Dr. John too.... I once shared a table with Chuck and mistook him for a high school friend, I'd seen The Allmans so many times.. He was amused and played me for a bit.

Nicky also played on Izzy Stradlin & the Ju Ju Hounds first album from 1992 (The one that Ronnie also played on).

A friend of mine played on these sessions, and he told about Nicky's many tales as well smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 16:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 14, 2014 16:32

Bliss
Doom and Gloom, what did you do for them?
I was an assistant engineer for a freelance producer. We did re-mixes, single and alternate radio versions. I had the chore of overdubs on weekends. I recall my first job with them was Keith playing for Earl Slick and the last was something on Steel Wheels with some crazy drums from Africa, Over that period I maybe did 10 sessions in total with them. I worked all the time with someone famous so there was no special relationship and I doubt they knew my name from date to date. I had to score my own tickets to Shea Stadium to make it clearer, which I bought from a tech. As I like to say The Stones were by far the nicest stars equalled only by Jimmy Page, George Benson and Julio Iglesias. Of course we all feared Mick's cowboy voice but I never enjoyed the honor of it being directed towards me..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 16:34 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 14, 2014 17:20

caschimann
Wonder if some of us here had the luck to meet and talk to one of the Stones personally.
If so - and many of us being a fan for 3, 4 or even 5 decades now the chance is high - please tell your story.

Yep. Freddie first introduced me to Keith backstage in 1989 Wash DC

Again in 1987 backstage San Fran (with Ronnie)

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: July 14, 2014 19:13

I met Bill at a book signing in W H Smith Birmingham around 1990/1991. He was perfectly happy to chat and I asked him about cricket! I got Stone Alone signed with a dedication "Love to Ade, keep on bowling, Bill Wyman." Looking back, a famous rock star was just sat in a shop across lunchtime with no security or bodyguards. It'd be unthinkable now.

I also met Ronnie at the opening of one of his exhibitions at the Halcyon Gallery also in Birmingham in late 2011. His publicist had warned us that he was there to talk about his art not the Stones. I chatted to him for around 5 minutes about the Stones and any plans the Stones had for their 50th anniversary. He was guarded in his replies but he's a really nice guy.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: July 14, 2014 19:30

latebloomer
EJM
Green Lady
latebloomer
Chris Fountain
It's no big deal if I meet them or not. Yes, I appreciate the music and concerts but I refuse to reach out to them personally unless they reach out to me.

I'm with you, Chris. In fact, I'm quite annoyed with Keith right now, he was supposed to send me that blue jacket weeks ago and I still haven't gotten it. If he thinks I'm calling first, he is sadly mistaken.

He's probably going to wear it in Australia.
Nooooooo!

Well in that case, I'll give him a bit more time.

Keith’s been quite busy. I’m sure it just slipped his mind. I think you should write to him w/ a friendly reminder:

Sendin’ a letter
To Riffmeister
I need that eyesore
SEND IT TO ME!

(OK, I know that was baaaaaaad thumbs down - couldn't help myself!)

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 14, 2014 20:24

I'm with you, Chris. In fact, I'm quite annoyed with Keith right now, he was supposed to send me that blue jacket weeks ago and I still haven't gotten it. If he thinks I'm calling first, he is sadly mistaken.[/quote]

He's probably going to wear it in Australia.[/quote]
Nooooooo![/quote]

Well in that case, I'll give him a bit more time.[/quote]

Keith’s been quite busy. I’m sure it just slipped his mind. I think you should write to him w/ a friendly reminder:

Has he already given it to Georgia May Jagger ?

[www.google.co.uk]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 14, 2014 23:19

ronnie back when he was on a solo tour in the early 90's.
strange how long ago that was-he had jo with him and chuch and mac was on keyboards with bernard doing the lv.

what a great person he is,just like you picture him,talking and joking with everyone.if you have him sign something when there's only a few people around he draws a little something around his signature.

we wrap alot of myth and legend up in these guys,and rightly so,but in the end they usually turn out to be what we always thought they were-just really cool people.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 15, 2014 12:58

Tellusmoredetailssteini!! :-)

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 15, 2014 15:13

I used to live in the same village as Charlie and hung out a lot with Shirley's brother, who at that time was Charlie's drum tech (or so he told me !), so got to meet Charlie quite often. He once got behind the bar of one of the local pubs (he was a friend of the then landlord) and a friend of mine went up, got a beer from him, sat down and had no idea that she'd just been served by a Rolling Stone. They've always supported the local school with Stones-related gifts for fund-raising events. Met him since at the "100 Club" when playing with the ABC&D of boogie (had my picture taken with him). I wrote to him after moving from his village saying that in all the time I'd lived there and seen him I'd never asked for an autograph, got a lovely letter back from him telling me he was sorry it took so long !
1st met Ronnie & Jo at the Aer Lingus lounge at Heathrow when they were travelling on the same flight as me, then again months later on a flight back from Dublin when he was travelling with Jimmy White, who sat next to me. Ronnie again at the "100 Club" and Ambassadors.
Tim Ries, Darryl & co. at the Amsterdam Bauhaus Rolling Stones Project show and the Paradiso, Keith at the Waterstones book signing (my daughter was completely overwhelmed by Keith being such a gentleman, standing up and kissing her hand when she presented her book !!), Mick Taylor outside the Ambassadors and again at the "100 Club" and finally got a very brief acknowledgement from Mick Jagger in Toronto.
Met Bill a number of time down the years at various of his Rhythm Kings gigs and Ben Waters' Boogie for Stu shows.
They've all been absolutely gracious and very approachable (although I found Mick Taylor could be pretty grumpy !).

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 15, 2014 22:08

stein
Yes, talked with Mick, shake hand with Keith and been in the same room as Ronnie in Toronto oktober 2002

Tell us more details (if you like :-))

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: July 15, 2014 23:08

I have been ridiculously lucky, I've met Keith three times in CT (we live close to each other), he was cool as hell, autographed a limited edition Crossfire Hurricane book by Bob Gruen for me but my favorite Stones encounters were with Mick Taylor. My buddy Charlie and I were the last three people in Toads Place around 5 in the morning back on Friday, 7/1/94. We did the same thing the following Friday night at The Lone Star in NYC by which time he might have been getting a little weary of my hijinx!!! smiling smiley We partied hard, he's a great guy and we had a lot of laughs. We're all behaving ourselves these days but the old days weren't exactly always Doom and Gloom!!! smiling smiley I've met Bill Wyman at book signing in White Plains, NY and as expected, he was very friendly and a total gentleman. I met Bianca Jagger 20 yaers ago at a Luxury Box at a Yankee game, worked her hard for seven innings but only came away with a nice kiss and a great picture with both of us smiling ear to ear. Oh well, can't blame me for trying. Finally, I met Woodie and Bernard very briefly at Toads Place during his Slide on This, great show!!! Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts have eluded my grasp thus far but you never know what the future will bring. I chatted with Mick Taylor before he rejoined the Stones in May of 2012 when he played a string of club shows at the Iridium and when I reminded him of our hard partying hijinx of 18 yearsago, he gave it some thought, smiled and I quote "We had a good time having a bad time". haha Priceless... We are all better off now with the evil days behind us but it was sure fun at the time.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 15, 2014 23:48

latebloomer
Chris Fountain
great stuff. it's all about attitude

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 16, 2014 02:02

ronkeith72
I have been ridiculously lucky, I've met Keith three times in CT (we live close to each other), he was cool as hell, autographed a limited edition Crossfire Hurricane book by Bob Gruen for me but my favorite Stones encounters were with Mick Taylor. My buddy Charlie and I were the last three people in Toads Place around 5 in the morning back on Friday, 7/1/94. We did the same thing the following Friday night at The Lone Star in NYC by which time he might have been getting a little weary of my hijinx!!! smiling smiley We partied hard, he's a great guy and we had a lot of laughs. We're all behaving ourselves these days but the old days weren't exactly always Doom and Gloom!!! smiling smiley I've met Bill Wyman at book signing in White Plains, NY and as expected, he was very friendly and a total gentleman. I met Bianca Jagger 20 yaers ago at a Luxury Box at a Yankee game, worked her hard for seven innings but only came away with a nice kiss and a great picture with both of us smiling ear to ear. Oh well, can't blame me for trying. Finally, I met Woodie and Bernard very briefly at Toads Place during his Slide on This, great show!!! Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts have eluded my grasp thus far but you never know what the future will bring. I chatted with Mick Taylor before he rejoined the Stones in May of 2012 when he played a string of club shows at the Iridium and when I reminded him of our hard partying hijinx of 18 yearsago, he gave it some thought, smiled and I quote "We had a good time having a bad time". haha Priceless... We are all better off now with the evil days behind us but it was sure fun at the time.

You tried making it with Bianca? You really ought to remember that Woody is in the band, not your pants!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: July 16, 2014 02:20

I had an encounter with Mick and a small group of fans waiting outside a hotel in the Midwest on No Security. Him and one bodyguard did a drive by and realized there were only a few of us and they circled and Mick got out to greet us. His bodyguard stayed pretty far back....I guess we looked harmless, we were freezing. I got a couple pictures, said hello, but didn't try to initiate conversation. Mick talked to everyone, took pictures with people, and signed. It lasted about five minutes and he went inside the hotel, a total gentleman. I got Bill's autograph and said hello briefly after a Rhythm King's show. He was polite, generous, and a true class act to everyone -- he signed everything! I've had other opportunities where I could have approached Keith and Charlie (restaurants) but i'm just not going to do that to these guys, I would feel creepy. In the two aforementiond situations, they were acting in their capacity as "rock stars" and put themselves out there so I made personal contact. Otherwise, i'm leaving them alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 02:22 by mnewman505.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2014 04:40

I've never ever spoken with any of the Stones on a personal level.

It's almost exclusively been business.

Specifically, whenever I go to shows Mick shows and gesticulates wildly at me. My response in normally, "YEAH!"

Keith sort of snorts and says his "it's good to be anywhere" line. I usually just laugh back.

Charlie comes out on stage after Mick announces him and waves, or says something I don't quite catch. He's nice, but doesn't say much.

Ron is generally very nice....I usually shout "RONNIE!!!"

I don't think the relationship has evolved much since the 80s...they pretty much say the same things to me now as they did then.

Still, I can't argue, it works. I'm satisfied.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home