Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: about Stu
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:54

I always must think of Morissey when I see Stu.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:12

<<stu wasn't a crybaby and his attitude was>>

You make it sound like Stu was perfectly happy to be shoved to the sidelines, as if it were what he should have been expecting from life.

Read Phelge's Stones. He was in the room with the Stones and Stu the day he was handed the news that he was out of the band. He was stoic about it for the most part, and the rest of the band felt badly and did their best to console him, and despite that he may have gradually adjusted to his relegated role in subsequent years, at the time he was dropped from the official line-up he was clearly upset:

"Keith turned to me over his left shoulder as I came in and said, 'Stu's agreed to stay on as road manager for us.'

"I smiled and said, 'Great,' but felt embarrassed. I thought Keith should have put it in another way--it did not seem fair to let Stu know that I had known about the situation before he had. Keith did it more as a natural reaction of relief, but Stu gave me a look that seemed to say, 'So you were in on it too!' It was not a good time for anyone.

"Obviously they had told Stu who had reluctantly accepted the job as road manager in order to stay with the band. He stood with his hands in his pockets and looked crestfallen at the turn of events. Everyone was trying hard to act cheerful--the boys knew how upset Stu would be feeling. Brian then began to promise things.

"'You'll still be able to play with us on occasions,' said Brian. 'We'll work something out, won't we, boys?' The others made conciliatory noises in agreement.

"Then Brian said to Stu, 'Don't worry about it; we'll see you all right; we'll make sure you get a sixth of everything.' With that he put his arm around Stu's shoulder and hugged him....

"'I'm sorry to hear about this Stu.' I offered genuinely.

"He took his hands from his pockets and turned his palms limply outward as a token of hopelessness.

"'I expected something like this might happen.' He sounded upset and said it so sadly. I looked at him and thought he was going to cry--if I had not been in the room, I felt sure he would have done so."

--James Phelge, Phelge's Stones, pp. 116-117 (paperback edition)

Posted by: TRS ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:13

@stonesrule

OK!! OK!! we get it you knew him !!! If u are not gonna elobarate on how you knew him, well then why mention

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-15 02:15 by TRS.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 15, 2014 05:43

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ANY STU STORIES STONESRULE MAY HAVE...DOESNT NEED TO BE ABOUT WHETHER THE BAND TOOK CARE OF HIS FAMILY AFTER HIS PASSING.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2014 06:29

Yeah come on stonesrule ... cut 'em loooose ..........

ROCKMAN

Date: July 15, 2014 10:16

BILLPERKS
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ANY STU STORIES STONESRULE MAY HAVE...DOESNT NEED TO BE ABOUT WHETHER THE BAND TOOK CARE OF HIS FAMILY AFTER HIS PASSING.

Read her book...

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 15, 2014 16:12

I´m really glad to hear that Stu was ok, Stonesrule, since i admire him so much.
You was obviously close to him. Please tell us some stories about this unique persona

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 15, 2014 17:14

Good ol' Stu!

My encounters come from days long gone with other spirits flowing.

Since my childhood in the 60's I had been a huge Stones fan.
After Abitur graduation in mid 70's I was going to study. But playing in bands myself I had made contact with music biz people, promoters,etc and was doing some work over the years in completly different times. More and more I got sucked into it all.

I was doing many concerts and had already done some help in 73 but in 76 I was there on some dates with more responsibility - as amateurish as it still was.
Absolute highlite to me and of course I tried to get in contact with them. Or at least watched them as much as I could.

Now - one day came my big moment. After some earlier brief encounters I ended up in a backroom of arena with some black guys and Keith and his minder. Maybe 7-8 persons.I loved the cool,dark 70's chic of the Stones and I was in heaven for maybe 15-20 min.

Stu had seen us all leave the room. Keith went to meet the others backstage.
Then I walked to my place at the side of the stage partly hidden by a curtain. The band was to play and Stu walked the stage taking a last look.He came over saying something like: no stoned on stage. Whether Stoned or Stones, he wanted me to go down to the barrier.
At that time as a young guy I felt a bit embarrassed and angry but then I had to laugh.
Stu - who else - showed me who's a Stone and who's not . . lol

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 15, 2014 17:51

Mick Jagger- why not make a biopic about Stu...

Date: July 15, 2014 20:02

DandelionPowderman
BILLPERKS

Read her book...[/quote

WTF is the title?

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 15, 2014 21:44

TRS
DandelionPowderman
BILLPERKS

Read her book...[/quote

WTF is the title?

Probably STU

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 15, 2014 21:54

Rockman
Proceeds from the limited edition 950 copies only book STU compiled by Will Nash went to furthering Ian Stewart's sons university education .....

[rocksoff.org]

Yeah. And it makes me so happy to read (by people who 'knew Stu and his relationship with the stones through and after his death') they really took good care of him...

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 15, 2014 23:04

DandelionPowderman
BILLPERKS

Read her book...

HER BOOK?
IF YOUR REFERRING TO "STU",I CANT SPEND THE $900 ON IT.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 15, 2014 23:05

TRS
DandelionPowderman
BILLPERKS

Read her book...[/quote

WTF is the title?

This?

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 16, 2014 00:14

Phelge's account is moving indeed. It just shows what a big heart Stu had.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 01:00 by Bliss.

Date: July 16, 2014 00:20

bleedingman
TRS
DandelionPowderman
BILLPERKS

Read her book...[/quote

WTF is the title?

This?

[www.amazon.com]

Yep. Some Stones stuff there as well.

Date: July 16, 2014 00:58

DandelionPowderman
bleedingman
TRS
DandelionPowderman
BILLPERKS

Read her book...[/quote

WTF is the title?

This?

[www.amazon.com]

Yep. Some Stones stuff there as well.

And here is a review, from a Hendrix historian.

Hendrix

This review is from: Jimi Hendrix: The Man, the Magic, the Truth (Hardcover)
While I applaud Ms. Lawrence for educating fans on the gross injustices within the Hendrix family and for having a commendable understanding of Janie Hendrix's psychological make up that is lost even on many who are within her orbit, there are some very serious credibility problems here.

While even the idle Hendrix fan knows Jimi was born in King County Hospital, (Now Harbor View) Lawrence states he was born at the home of a family friend.(Ouch) Jimi is quoted allegedly verbatum throughout the book but from some alledged tapes of interviews that no one has seen or heard and that Lawrence conveniently plans on destroying so 'no one can profit from them'.Meanwhile cigarette packs (yes, cigarette packs) and necklaces are being sold via ebay or to private collectors allegedly having belonged to Hendrix ,citing Ms. Lawrence as the previous owner and source of authenticity.

At one point she aledgedly quotes Hendrix as saying:

"The LSD passed around San Francisco was a fabulous discovery for me, I'd taken acid in London but...."

Aside from Jimi's use of the word 'fabulous' being at best incredulous, the fact that Hendrix had already tried LSD in New York in 1996 before going to England and subsequently Monterey is common knowledge among afficianados and again makes all of these alledged direct quotes questionable. Those of you who have listened to and read the hundreds of hours of interviews available through collectors, official releases and press clippings will also find some of the wording of these alledged quotes that the book, and the credibility of it's author are based on, extremely suspect. At one point Ms. Lawrence even offers an aledged quote from Hendrix's mother who passed away in 1958:

"Jimi baby" she told her son "I have to escape this"

While quotes like this can illicit an emotional response
from the average reader,they are clearly fictional. Throughout the book people close to Jimi are referenced but very sparsely quoted, if at all. I shared the recount of Jimi's trip to Berkeley as a small child (Pg.5) with Jimi's aunt Delores and she laughed openly and wondered aloud where people come up with these stories. This from a woman who was actually there and involved in planning said trip. While making a reference to Ernestine Benson and misstakenly referring to her husband Cornel as "Bill" , Lawrence again allegedly quotes Hendrix in lieu of an actual interview with the Benson's who are both still living and have incredible first hand insights having lived with the Hendrix's.

Lawrence's assertion that Hendrix committed suicide simply because his journal was left out is no less ridiculous than Jimi's adopted stepsister Janie's claim that Jimi didn't OD. Law Lawrence then stops just short of gleefully giving herself credit for Monika's suicide, but the jist is clear. This book is more than a bit narcissistic with Lawrence lauding herself as much as she does her subject. While proclaiming herself to be a close confident of Hendrix' the general consensus is that she wasn't around that much, if people even know who she is at all.

For a much more well researched and credible look into Jimi's life read Electric Gypsy or even more so , the new book Room Full Of Mirrors by Charles Cross. The Man, The Magic, The Truth, while very dramatic, is rife with glaring inaccuracies and is for the most part a novel about the author and her subject, not a biography or a reliable historical record. Unless these alledged tapes that are widely quoted throughout the entire book are made available, their legitimacy and the legitimacy of the book will forever be questioned.

Ray Rae Goldman
Archivist/Historian
James Marshall Hendrix Foundation

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 16, 2014 01:38

The spelling errors in that review are, as the writer would say, "incredulous." winking smiley Undermines its credibility just a tad.

Date: July 16, 2014 02:23

Maybe we should read it before giving the verdict. I did, and I enjoyed it - fiction or truth... or a bit of both...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 02:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 16, 2014 02:39

DandelionPowderman
Maybe we should read it before giving the verdict. I did, and I enjoyed it - fiction or truth... or a bit of both...

That's not a bad joke. I mean - heck you even enjoy Dirty Work!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 16, 2014 04:08

Jealousy is a wasted emotion.

SLANDER -- to make false and damaging statements -- is a serious legal matter.

My book on Jimi Hendrix was thoroughly vetted by top lawyers in New York and
London. As were a series of tapes recorded by Hendrix and me, at his request, over a two year period.

I waited some thirty years after his death to write the book because
it was such a tragic story and I had other happier writing projects that I was eager to pursue. It was never about making money; I gave it all away, quite a bit of it to various old friends of Jimi who were in need.

I wrote the book for two reasons --so the 2 children Jimi fathered but never knew would have some sense of who he was as a human being as well as a brilliant musician -- and also because so much false information about Jimi's life and death was floating around that new "toy"...the Internet.

The book was concerned with Truth and Facts, both happy and sad.

Mr. Goldman, author of the ugly "review" of my book, was eager to get his hands on those tapes in his new role as "historian" and to harm my book in favor of one that his friend Charles Cross was writing. Neither of them knew Jimi.

Date: July 16, 2014 04:49

stonesrule
Jealousy is a wasted emotion.

SLANDER -- to make false and damaging statements -- is a serious legal matter.

My book on Jimi Hendrix was thoroughly vetted by top lawyers in New York and
London. As were a series of tapes recorded by Hendrix and me, at his request, over a two year period.

I waited some thirty years after his death to write the book becquerel
it was such a tragic story and I had other happier writing projects that I was eager to pursue. It was never about making money; I gave it all away, quite a bit of it to various old friends of Jimi who were in need.

I wrote the book for two reasons --so the 2 children Jimi fathered but never knew would have some sense of who he was as a human being as well as a brilliant musician -- and also because so much false information about Jimi's life and death was floating around that new "toy"...the Internet.

The book was concerned with Truth and Facts, both happy and sad.

Mr. Goldman, author of the ugly "review" of my book, was eager to get his hands on those tapes in his new role as "historian" and to harm my book in favor of one that his friend Charles Cross was writing. Neither of them knew Jimi.

Why would you destroy the tapes. I dunno sounds shaky. If you are going to write a book for money it does not make sense then to say profiteering is reason to destroy tapes

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2014 04:58

Aquamarine
The spelling errors in that review are, as the writer would say, "incredulous." winking smiley Undermines its credibility just a tad.

Well I think it's rather incredulous that Jimi's taking acid in New York in 1996...I thought he'd died by then.

Date: July 16, 2014 05:19

The tapes have not been destroyed. Where did you come up with that?

Date: July 16, 2014 05:26

Are you going to release them?

Date: July 16, 2014 05:30

stonesrule
The tapes have not been destroyed. Where did you come up with that?

From Ray Rae of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 05:31 by TRS.

Date: July 16, 2014 06:55

Sorry to see this thread meant to be about Ian Stewart abruptly turn into
something quite different.

Despite the haters' comments about me in the past few hours, Stu was my friend and I was his friend and admirer. If you don't believe it or don't like it, just piss off.

Date: July 16, 2014 09:33

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

That's not a bad joke. I mean - heck you even enjoy Dirty Work!

Have been for 28 years smiling smiley

Love One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Had It With You, Too Rude, Dirty Work and Slerp Tonight.

Date: July 16, 2014 10:47

I do not think anyone is jealous, hateful or engaging in slander here.

If someone repeatedly boasts about their close personal relationship with numerous celebrities, they can expect to be challenged to provide some evidence in the form of photographs, audio tapes or references in books or articles.

Interviewing a celebrity in the course of one's job does not confer a personal relationship, any more than performing any other service, such as cleaning their teeth or serving them food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 10:47 by Bliss.

Date: July 16, 2014 11:49

If you were friends with the Stones, you wouldn't post photos about it on a message board, would you?

Not even the former employees do that, only the fans...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home