Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill - "Charlie Watts rings me, asking me can I manage it at my age"
Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: July 13, 2014 12:33

Music superstar Bill Wyman talks about life before, during and after the Rolling Stones ahead of his Cheltenham Town Hall concert

By Gloucestershire Echo | Posted: July 13, 2014

By Helen Blow
Bill Wyman

Bill Wyman
Comments (0)

BILL Wyman’s analogy that getting a band together is a bit like naming a football team seems very topical at the moment.

Famous for being part of one of the world’s greatest rock bands, Bill spent 30 years living the rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle before leaving to indulge other interests.

One of those has been forming rhythm and blues band the Rhythm Kings, who will be heading for Cheltenham Town Hall on July 29 as part of their latest tour.

Bill has a top line-up of musicians in the band, including Andy Fairweather Low, who’s played with the likes of Eric Clapton and Roger Waters, and Hamish Stuart, of the Average White Band, who’s come in to replace Albert Lee, who’s busy in the US.

“Getting a band together is like a football team; you get red cards or injuries and you have to get another player to take their place,” he said.

“We’re like a little family; everybody gives up their careers for short periods during the year to play a few gigs. It’s just a lovely thing about the band.”

Everyone has a turn at the mic, including a slightly reluctant Bill who usually sings You Never Can Tell by Chuck Berry. Other old favourites they may play include Harlem Shuffle, Nutbush City Limits, Dancing in the Street and some Dylan.

As bass guitarist of the Rolling Stones, Bill enjoyed worldwide fame and fortune alongside Jagger, Wood, Watts and Richards.

But since walking out in 1993, he admits he has never had a second’s regret, despite probably kissing goodbye to several more millions.

“When we started the Stones we thought we’d have two or three years of it before it would be over,” admitted Bill, who amazingly is now 77.

“It was the same for all of us around at that time - the Beatles, the Searchers, the Animals - we all thought the same.

“That suited me fine as I had lots of other things I wanted to do; I would have liked to have been a museum curator or a librarian.

“Then suddenly you look around and it’s 30 years later and I realised, if I didn’t get out now, I wouldn’t be able to do all those other things.”

So Bill left and now he spends his time on a diversity of activities; he holds photography exhibitions and has a collection of around 30,000 photographs; he’s written “seven or eight” books and he has his own restaurant in London called, of course, Sticky Fingers.

“These things were the reason I left when I did; because I didn’t want my whole life to pass me by and not to be able to have done all the other things I wanted,” he said.

“I had two failed marriages while I was in the Stones because it’s so difficult to have personal relationships when you are travelling all the time around the world, open to temptation.

“I knew it was time to move on. I loved every moment of it but it was time for a change and I have never regretted it, not in a million years.”

If anything his life is busier now than it’s ever been, although Bill admits it’s a less stressful, more relaxing kind of busy.

“This summer the band is doing about four or five festivals and then heading out on an European tour in November for about five and half weeks,” he said.

“I keep an eye on the Stones’ tours and have noticed whereas they do a concert every three or four days, we do one every night,” Bill laughs.

“Charlie Watts rings me, asking if I can manage it at my age, but it’s all very relaxed and good fun with the Rhythm Kings - there’s no stress or anyone playing prima donna, we just have a good time.”

Although Bill’s departure didn’t go down too well with some of his fellow Stones at the time, he says he has stayed closely in touch with them.

“I’m still great friends with the guys and we still buy each other birthday presents,” he says, making me wonder what on earth you buy a rock star who presumably has everything he needs?

As well as the performing, Bill spends time taking hundreds of photographs to add to his already extensive collection.

“I take photos of everything from nature and wildlife to celebrities and ordinary people on the street, including taxi drivers. They are always a great subject to photograph,” he said.

A confessed history fanatic, Bill lives in a 1480 manor house in Suffolk, with a moat and a drawbridge.

“I’m really interested in archaeology and history and have found a couple of previously unknown Roman sites where I live,” he said. “This kind of thing absolutely fascinates me.

“I’ve also done a lot of charity work, including all the cricket matches - I must have played with all the great cricketers in the world.”

And if all that wasn’t enough, he’s also putting the finishing touches to his solo album, which he plans will be out in October.

“That’s pretty amazing at my bloody age and I’m really excited about it,” he laughs.

Bill was born and brought up in south London during the Second World War - right in the heart of the bombing during The Blitz.

“We lived in a place called Doodlebug Alley because it was bombed so many times.,” he said. “Even a V2 rocket that exploded in our street.

“We used to go to school and sometimes some of the other pupils would never return.

“There were two little girls who sat next to me in class and one day they weren’t there any more; they had been killed by a bomb. I guess I was incredibly lucky I survived.”

All this adds up to a quite remarkable life lived by one of our most famous and successful musicians, who has an amazing zest for life and an almost child-like interest in anything that crosses his path.

Read more at [www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk]

Re: Bill - "Charlie Watts rings me, asking me can I manage it at my age"
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 13, 2014 12:57

Manage what? While no doubt Charlie was ringing Bill to ask about performing at his age, how do you know he was ringing to ask specifically about music?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 13, 2014 13:07

Rollin92

“Charlie Watts rings me, asking if I can manage it at my age, but it’s all very relaxed and good fun with the Rhythm Kings

Should we imply Charlie might still be onstage with the Stones when he's 77? That takes us to 2018... thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2014 13:20

Still it was a stupid decision to leave the band. I mean whatever he does besides the band he could have managed anyway.
For example The Rolling Stones did nothing year 1996, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 13, 2014 13:50

Stoneage
Still it was a stupid decision to leave the band. I mean whatever he does besides the band he could have managed anyway.
For example The Rolling Stones did nothing year 1996, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011...

I guess he's essentially talking about being his own boss and being able to plan, Mick could have theoretically phoned up in any one of those years, or all of them and said "alright, get your ya ya out we're going on tour".

Bill seems happy enough with his decision anyway, so.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-13 14:33 by EddieByword.

Date: July 13, 2014 14:00

Maybe that's it, EB. But I guess there are other factors involved. And imagine all the millions of pounds he missed out on. The tours from 1994 and on were all huge moneymakers.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 13, 2014 14:17

Well, it sounds as if he has enough money to do what he wants to do with his life, and how much more do you need?

Date: July 13, 2014 14:35

Green Lady
Well, it sounds as if he has enough money to do what he wants to do with his life, and how much more do you need?

This is it.

I guess Darryl thinks it was 'ok' too..........nice little earner...Thanks Bill!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-13 16:09 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 13, 2014 16:45

Rollin92

All this adds up to a quite remarkable life lived by one of our most famous and successful musicians, who has an amazing zest for life and an almost child-like interest in anything that crosses his path.

ALMOST childlike?? He MARRIED a child, for heaven's sake.

Date: July 13, 2014 16:48

I always thought that the Mandy Smith "affair" had something to do with him leaving the band. I think that affair was a bit to much even for the Stones.

Date: July 13, 2014 16:58

Stoneage
I always thought that the Mandy Smith "affair" had something to do with him leaving the band. I think that affair was a bit to much even for the Stones.

I remember Charlie being interviewed, (I think at the wedding or shortly after ) "I wish them well, I don't think it's a very good idea but I do wish them well".

Great stuff........

Date: July 13, 2014 17:06

Yeah, I remember that too, EB. Charlie was the only Stone attending as I remember. And then Bill's son marrying Mandy's mother (I think).
What a media circus. As I said, too much even for the Stones. And probably contributing to his leave...

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 13, 2014 18:01

Stoneage
Yeah, I remember that too, EB. Charlie was the only Stone attending as I remember. And then Bill's son marrying Mandy's mother (I think).
What a media circus. As I said, too much even for the Stones. And probably contributing to his leave...

Jagger, Ronnie and Richards were all there...either the wedding itself or at least for the reception so....

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 13, 2014 18:56

I've read that The Stones called Bill, trying to get him back and be apart of Voodoo Lounge, as late as summer 1993. That was when they already had auditioned Darryl.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 13, 2014 19:18

Bill's name was on the Virgin 1993 contract, but he never signed. I can understand why he left. They're not all like Keith. Interestingly though, Charlie never left so he must share Keith's opinion about not leaving. More so than Bill anyway. Strange for a guy who wanted to quit after 1972, but I guess he had his reasons too. Watts also seems like a man that doesn't feel he needs to share his reasons with anybody, so who knows?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 13, 2014 20:34

To quote EddieByword, "Great stuff."

??? Life must be very dull for you Eddie.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 14, 2014 01:33

SweetThing
Stoneage

Jagger, Ronnie and Richards were all there...either the wedding itself or at least for the reception so....

Yeah they were all there with wives too.. good article in vanity fair as I recall..

Date: July 14, 2014 01:46

stonesrule
To quote EddieByword, "Great stuff."

??? Life must be very dull for you Eddie.

Luckily, not so dull that I have to explain myself to you...........you're very presumptuous and intrusive, I've noticed it about you with others too...........yawning smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 14, 2014 02:57

Sorry Eddie. You speak your mind and, on occasion, I speak mine.
IORR for a long time was mainly about the Stones music...now it's taking on a tabloid quality that a lot of us resent...not just me.

You can always air your feelings in an email to BV

Date: July 14, 2014 03:05

stonesrule
Sorry Eddie. You speak your mind and, on occasion, I speak mine.
IORR for a long time was mainly about the Stones music...now it's taking on a tabloid quality that a lot of us resent...not just me.

You can always air your feelings in an email to BV

As I said, I've got no intention of explaining the context of my comment about Charlie Watts' comment, if you can't see it accurately and take it in the spirit it was intended I can't help you....
As for involving bv, I've never indulged in and wasted his time with tittle tattle over "hurt feelings", to use a cliche for once, I'm big enough and ugly enough to stand my own ground.........thanks for the tip though all the same.........

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:20

So, um, can you guys manage it at your age?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:44

Stoneage
And then Bill's son marrying Mandy's mother (I think).

You think wrong, fortunately.

There were many (quite funny) observations about the tangled relationships (eg Bill's son would have been his step-father-in-law, and Mandy would have been Stephen Wyman's mother-in-law and step-daughter).

But they did not marry.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 14, 2014 17:36

God some crap is written here. And I don't mean the article.
Thanks for posting Rollin92.

Wyman leaving had nothing to do with Mandy Smith.
He was worth millions already and I'm sure turned many a buck since leaving.
Watts is clearly referring to playing every nite re "how do you do it" and I find it odd that requires explaining.

A nice simple article about a man that was a Stone for more than three decades and look at the childish comments that follow.

And for the record I know of nobody that gives a toss about being put out about an article from the tabloids being posted here. Without the general media the Stones would never have taken flight let alone survived at the top for more than half a century.

Posted by: bryanoakville ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:43

Green Lady

Right on Green Lady. Money's only good if you don't die tomorrow. We should all be so fortunate to live our lives on our own terms.

Date: July 15, 2014 02:30

<<Wyman leaving had nothing to do with Mandy Smith.>>

Actually, it did. It was the final catalyst, and Wyman even admitted as much in a 2006 interview with The Guardian, hardly a tabloid source:

It wasn't simply his relationship with the band, though. It was his failing relationship with Mandy that led to his leaving the Stones. "I had to get my personal life in order. That was really necessary." He had made a complete mess of everything? "Yep, so I had to get rid of everything and turn over a new leaf and start again." Ultimately, he says, his relationship with Mandy forced him to grow up. And he went about the business of rebuilding his life with astonishing pragmatism. He approached an old girlfriend, Suzanne Accosta, said he was finally settling down and asked her to marry him. Perhaps, even more astonishingly, his third marriage has worked.

Full article at: [www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:57

stonehearted
<<Wyman leaving had nothing to do with Mandy Smith.>>

Actually, it did. It was the final catalyst, and Wyman even admitted as much in a 2006 interview with The Guardian, hardly a tabloid source:

It wasn't simply his relationship with the band, though. It was his failing relationship with Mandy that led to his leaving the Stones. "I had to get my personal life in order. That was really necessary." He had made a complete mess of everything? "Yep, so I had to get rid of everything and turn over a new leaf and start again." Ultimately, he says, his relationship with Mandy forced him to grow up. And he went about the business of rebuilding his life with astonishing pragmatism. He approached an old girlfriend, Suzanne Accosta, said he was finally settling down and asked her to marry him. Perhaps, even more astonishingly, his third marriage has worked.

Full article at: [www.theguardian.com]

Yes, that's fine. And, he had all these other things he wanted to do, he was also creatively frustrated for years etc.. more than one reason. What is not stated anywhere is the Mandy situation was "too much for the Stones" to the point where Wyman had to, or was invited to leave, as is occasionally suggested.. if not by you, then by others.

Date: July 15, 2014 03:14

^ Yes, agreed. He was never forced to leave--in fact, they did everything they could to convince him to stay, and even invited him on subsequent tours into the mid-2000s. It was a personal decision.

As a matter of fact, if you have a listen to this interview from early 1991, he's clearly already made his decision to leave, and it appears he merely waited for the band to become active again to make his decision official.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: July 15, 2014 07:08

I don't agree it was stupid. By many accounts Bill was never really happy in the band but stuck it out for the money more than anything. Can't hold that against him because what would you do for millions of dollars?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 17, 2014 23:35

Bill must have managed his money well or he would have latched onto one of those opportunities to tour with the Stones again. Personally I think his heart wasn't in it on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. His drug was nookie and it sounds like he knew he couldn't help himself if it was always there for him on the road. He needed to settle down and he did.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2014 04:03

JumpingKentFlash
Bill's name was on the Virgin 1993 contract, but he never signed. I can understand why he left. They're not all like Keith. Interestingly though, Charlie never left so he must share Keith's opinion about not leaving. More so than Bill anyway. Strange for a guy who wanted to quit after 1972, but I guess he had his reasons too. Watts also seems like a man that doesn't feel he needs to share his reasons with anybody, so who knows?

Charlie seems completely pragmatic, which I love. Doing the stones gig gives him a lifestyle to do whatever he wants. There are almost no jobs in the world that good. Charlie is not an idiot or does he seem to let emotion rule his decisions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home