Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: IORR web statistics 2014
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 21, 2014 04:27

angee
I finally figured it out, I think, latebloomer, it's a dandy-lion, next to a ton of powder!

Is that right, DP? (Forgive the spelling?) cool smiley
Did you design that yourself?

Of course! Very good thinking there, angee and very clever design, DP. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 21, 2014 04:29

...I fought it was a chocolate-chip cookieeeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 21, 2014 10:01

Rockman

I thought it was hash!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 21, 2014 10:16

swiss
Rockman

I thought it was hash!

It's powder - might be unwise to ask what kind...

Date: August 21, 2014 10:44

Green Lady
swiss
Rockman

I thought it was hash!

It's powder - might be unwise to ask what kind...

I might get banned and reduce the stats.

Re: OT(?): Least traffic ever on this board?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 21, 2014 11:26

DandelionPowderman

Maybe everyone should take some time and reflect on topics that would make potentially good long-lasting threads, instead of merely giving more or less hasty replies (I know I'm guilty here) to existing threads that we, let's be honest, have discussed a hundred times before?

Threads like Ratbag Boogie, and other "nerdy" threads seem to be most popular, save the good ol' Taylor/Wood debates...

I dunno, just a thought.

A good thought. smiling smiley

The simple statistics may tell that the forum is doing better than it historically did (I believe BV here), but the quantity does not always correlate with quality... There has not been many inspired threads, proviking interesting, thorough-going discussions like there used to be. I am not just talking of Holiday seasons or non-tour activity periods, but more in general.

At least that has been my observation here lately. But before I am accused of some sort of elitist talk here, let me add a following speculative thought why I think this is even a natural development.

This board has been seriously active for some 15 years - like net boards altogether. For many of us who around then, or during the years, joined in, this was something that had never existed before: a public place to discuss about our passionate love that mostly had been, let's say, a private matter, not much explicated by words to anyone. The only person I can say this with an authority is myself, but I have the feeling that I am not the only one having this kind of experience. If you put hundreds, thousands, or god knows how many people suddenly talking to each other of their mutual love, that emerges lots of inspired talk. Just the possibility to share thoughts with so many people thinking likewise around the world is thrilling. And there was so much to talk about, let's say, invested in our experience, that we probably never had reflected so clearly before. And fantastic, never much talked, discussions emerged. As a result of that, and along the discourse, new terms were introduced, and started to have a common use, such as 'Taylorite' or 'Vegas Era', etc.

But fifteen years is a long time. What once was fresh, novel and inspiring, is now a routine, old news and repitive - 'been there, done that' - a natural evolution that has happened I guess to many of us old-timers here. So many topics and issues have been gone through, and whatever 'stances' or 'views' are too familiar these days. Many times it sounds like everything has been said by now what can be said of The Rolling Stones. Many of us who have been hanging around here for ages, do rather well know how the others think. The discussions, mostly, are very predictable. So some of us just got bored, post less or disappear totally, some got banned (partly out of boredom I guess). Probably many of us are just, say, 15/10 years older, and probably are not any longer so passionate, or keen on putting words the stuff that seems to be too familiar now.

Of course, new members keep on appearing all the time, but my claim is that the 'golden age' of this kind of discussion culture starts to be over. There is no any longer such a huge new mind-blowing thing - suddenly the strangers all over the world having this new medium to talk about such a trivial hobby matter with such a passion. It is 'normal' now - for many, especially for the younger fans, who have been lived their whole lives in the world where there are such places to talk about whatever things, there is nothing new and exciting in that. It is just joining in the forums and discussions that seem to have been going on for ages...

I hope I got my point across here. Like always, I try to describe rather general patterns here - so there are many counter-examples, exceptions, etc. I am not predicting or declaring any 'doom &gloom' here, but just pointing out that 'things have changed', and to an extent, why.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-21 11:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 21, 2014 13:16

very good statistics bv indeed.
US number one as often.

I just regret that you sometimes lack of a bit of humour

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 21, 2014 17:28

Well said, Doxa. Who would care/dare to talk about "lame setlist" anymore?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 21, 2014 18:00

latebloomer
angee
I finally figured it out, I think, latebloomer, it's a dandy-lion, next to a ton of powder!

Is that right, DP? (Forgive the spelling?) cool smiley
Did you design that yourself?

Of course! Very good thinking there, angee and very clever design, DP. smiling smiley

To me it looks lke a dandelion crushed by a rolling stone of condensed powder...

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 22, 2014 00:20

Doxa

But fifteen years is a long time. What once was fresh, novel and inspiring, is now a routine, old news and repitive - 'been there, done that' - a natural evolution that has happened I guess to many of us old-timers here.

- Doxa

I agree with what Doxa wrote. And I would like to add that I am sometimes frustrated when I have a new thought - or at least new to me. A discovery. Like yesterday when I realized that Chuck Leavell was touring with Stu and the Stones in 82. But whenever I post something new to me I get: "Heard that one before" - "Go to this old thread" - "Please don't re-post"...
I understand why people and BV say that. It just kills active participation when I get the feeling that everything has been said.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 22, 2014 02:13

schwonek
Doxa

But fifteen years is a long time. What once was fresh, novel and inspiring, is now a routine, old news and repitive - 'been there, done that' - a natural evolution that has happened I guess to many of us old-timers here.

- Doxa

I agree with what Doxa wrote. And I would like to add that I am sometimes frustrated when I have a new thought - or at least new to me. A discovery. Like yesterday when I realized that Chuck Leavell was touring with Stu and the Stones in 82. But whenever I post something new to me I get: "Heard that one before" - "Go to this old thread" - "Please don't re-post"...
I understand why people and BV say that. It just kills active participation when I get the feeling that everything has been said.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you. Someone asks a question and instead of a reply you get a detailed synopsis of how the search button works.

Searching is fine, but sometimes we want to chat about something 'live' with people instead of doing 'research'.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 22, 2014 02:27

Each time I say "I read in my local newspaper...", I get the answer that I most probably will read it here first.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 22, 2014 03:08

treaclefingers
schwonek
Doxa

- Doxa

I'm afraid I have to agree with you. Someone asks a question and instead of a reply you get a detailed synopsis of how the search button works.

Searching is fine, but sometimes we want to chat about something 'live' with people instead of doing 'research'.

+1. Because such an attitude dampens enthusiasm. The whole purpose of a fan forum is to share enthusiasm, and if you get discouraged by jaded folks who know it all back to front, then you wonder why you should even bother posting.

Date: August 22, 2014 05:10

stonehearted
treaclefingers
schwonek
Doxa

- Doxa

+1. Because such an attitude dampens enthusiasm. The whole purpose of a fan forum is to share enthusiasm, and if you get discouraged by jaded folks who know it all back to front, then you wonder why you should even bother posting.

Fair enough - altho' that's not "the whole purpose of a fan forum" - and it's just respectful to do
a quick search to see what's been said, maybe get up to speed on something you don't know
about---and THEN take the convo further or just dredge it up again...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-22 05:10 by swiss.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 22, 2014 05:11

These are amazing stats BV considering no tour and the fair weather fans so prevalent on Stones boards. Worst fan base of all the so called super groups .

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 22, 2014 09:08

swiss
stonehearted

Fair enough - altho' that's not "the whole purpose of a fan forum" - and it's just respectful to do
a quick search to see what's been said, maybe get up to speed on something you don't know
about---and THEN take the convo further or just dredge it up again...

I'm all for searching to read up on a topic, but I don't think it's wise to revive an old thread. The moderator has made it clear that a new thread should be started so as to keep page 1 separate from, say, page 500. So I'm inclined to just let sleeping threads lie.

Date: August 22, 2014 10:11

stonehearted
treaclefingers
schwonek
Doxa

- Doxa

Yep, I agree with the sentiments expressed here by three of you. Even though I tried to be diplomatic, I wrote my original piece with the 'old-timers' more in mind. The outcome is that it is not very nice for the 'new-comers' who with full enthusiasim come up with an issue they probably never have put into words before. And then the reception is a rather lame... But there is no one to blame, it is just how it goes...

- Doxa

Date: August 22, 2014 10:33

Brstonesfan

Worst fan base of all the so called super groups .

No no! The hardest working fan base of all the so called super groups, because The Stones are still an on-going activity, unlike the rest of them. People are busy to earn money to get the next tickets, no time to chat in net... unlike The Beatles, Zeppelin etc, fans...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 22, 2014 23:58

Doxa
Brstonesfan

Worst fan base of all the so called super groups .

No no! The hardest working fan base of all the so called super groups, because The Stones are still an on-going activity, unlike the rest of them. People are busy to earn money to get the next tickets, no time to chat in net... unlike The Beatles, Zeppelin etc, fans...grinning smiley

- Doxa

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin roll out boxsets second to none in the industry.

I insist their fans are still also hard at work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-22 23:58 by treaclefingers.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home