Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: How was your Rolling Stones European Tour ?
Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: July 6, 2014 17:17

I have no other tour of the Stones I can compare with – I was in Zürch at my first Rolling Stones concert ever and it was just the best live concert I've seen in my whole life – after seen the band only in videos or on TV, to hear them finally live was absolutely fantastic! The day after there was a real good report about the concert in the newespapier "tagesanzeiger"

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 6, 2014 17:18

DandelionPowderman
The "last tour" might just mean last big tour. Even smaller tours might occur, hopefully.
clue taken. though i went to great lenghts, i've never seen a club show

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 6, 2014 19:05

gipsy12
I have no other tour of the Stones I can compare with – I was in Zürch at my first Rolling Stones concert ever and it was just the best live concert I've seen in my whole life

Right on. I am so happy for you.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 6, 2014 19:08

1969 mad square garden NYC. Their true home,

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 6, 2014 19:22

michaelsavage
1969 mad square garden NYC. Their true home,
huh?? nah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-06 19:22 by Nikkei.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 6, 2014 19:42

What I can say.
I´m happy.
After 5 years of IORR-begging, guessing, hoping about a new tour they really came back live in late November 2012.
And are touring since then.
Yes, with big intermissions.
But I felt even in those pauses the tour was still on.
So since two years the are back on stage.
And every gig is a little adventure, even it´s far away in the US.
Thanks to these mates here (live comments, videos) your are a connected even you are not there.
And then suddenly you are there. You're Stones day has come.
Berlin, Waldbühne.
Just 10 min. away from my house.
They came right to me, as close as it can get.
The gig: Pit, Ronnies side, best venue of the tour, good,good show, speachless about Mick, totally exhausted after the show, and happyyyyyyy!
Again :-)

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 6, 2014 19:56

....just one more show.....

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 6, 2014 22:19

Doxa,

It's so good to see your changed attitude. I had guessed that once you saw a show or two in the last couple of years, you would like them again, because of their music and performances.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: July 6, 2014 22:37

Landgraaf: great atmosphere, great concert.Best!
Dusseldorf: special, because first time I did a concert 'organized' and could share concert with others. Great setlist!
Werchter: very special because me and my son had a great time there!

I can't image I will never see them again. First concert in 1989 en now ending it? I hope for another London gig. And who knows, some small club gigs with only ballads and blues.
I save all my money for that!

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 6, 2014 23:06

I saw three shows (Oslo, Landgraaf and Stockholm).

Oslo was literally a last minute thing.
I hadn't planned to be at this show, but after having read the reports from the rehearsals, I had to be there.
By 11AM on show day I still wasn't sure I was going to make it, but a series of very fortunate circumstances made it possible for me to enter the Golden Circle about ten minutes before the show started.
At 6.30PM I was still in the air on my way to Gardemoen airport.
The show was one of the better European tour openers I have seen.
During Worried About You, my highlight of the show, you could see Mick making some very special facial expressions and when he sang the "why'd you do that, baby?" part, it was clear he was still struggling with the loss of L'Wren.

Landgraaf.
Surprisingly hot. Both at the festival site, and on stage.
The band, Mick especially, was really in the zone and having a lot of fun.
Angie, Rocks Off and Out Of Control stood out for me.

Stockholm.
My hometown show. With the weeks and days leading up to the show having really poor weather, it pleased me that the show would be indoors.
Also, after having seen quite a few Nordic shows over the years taking place more or less in broad daylight, it was a pleasure to enjoy a dark indoor show that did justice to the excellent lighting effects.
If this was their last ever show in Sweden, they really ended on a high note.
The energy and happiness on stage as well as the overall playing level put a big smile on my face.

Date: July 7, 2014 21:06

Only two this time.

Pinkpop: Best concert I have ever seen. Great crowd and the sound was just the best ever. Keith was on fire.

Werchter: Bad crowd, bad sound, huge wait (before and after). Ok show.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 8, 2014 07:25

Only 1 show this tour - Berlin. Best outdoor venue ever.
Had plans for Paris and Rome or Madrid and tried to make a last minute to Stockholm work, but none of it came off.

High energy performances this tour IMO.

SC UK

2014 European Tour - A Success or Big Disappointment?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:24

The shows ran about 2 hours with 19 songs pretty much in order. Ticket prices? Waits? Tee shirt and other souvenirs? Audience reactions? No opening acts? It seemed to me that as the tour slogged on the interest on the board was waning.

Was it memorable or forgettable? Rehearsed songs not played you wanted to hear? Is the World Cup a better watch and more exciting?

Re: 2014 European Tour - A Success or Big Disappointment?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:27

Depends on whom you ask. For European fans who haven't seen the band in ages it was probably great. For those of us who wished for more it was a bit of a disappointment. Why do opening acts make a Stones show better? I'd rather not have to endure some act I don't care about.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:32

And there were opening acts ofcourse... Bigbang, Amanda Jensen, Temperance Movement, The Struts (?).

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:39

Success is a healthy band ready to carry on. The interest on the boards is non-consequential. The Stones are bringing their best show to the world, if we choose to analyze that's cool but it's really about those seeing them rarely or never before.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:42

Almost every concert (if not all) was sold out. There was a lot of young people who've never saw them live and it was fantastic for them. And the old fans (like us) having this opportunity again (for the last time, maybe). So I think it was a big success and my disappointment is that I didn't saw them as many times as I wanted to. cool smiley

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:49

A success in entertainment, money, and spectacle, but a disappointment as far as interesting. Where you fall in caring along that spectrum dictates the answer.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:06

It's was much drier than in the US (stiff setlists, no guests) BUT the playing was stronger/better so I'll take this one over the 2013 tour. Last year some shows seriously lacked energy, in Europe none showed a tired band.

And I'm waiting for high-quality boots by CCat Rattlesnake and Godfather. thumbs up

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:07

Not really disappointment because I actually went to one concert (Stockholm) and I liked it very much. I actually saw them live and they seemed to be in great shape physically, especially Mick. Also Ronnie seemed to be really energetic in Stockholm.

But if I just would look at some youtube clips and think about set lists, then a little disappointment maybe...

As far as Mick Taylor's role is concerned, disappointment of course, no Sway, no CYHMC, only MR, but MR was really great in Stockholm, I must say. Mick Taylor's minimal role is the only really big negative thing I have in my mind.

They played very controlled shows, not much spontaneity or risk taking or surprises.

But YCAGWYW!!!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:13

I think it was a big success for casual fans and others that didn't expect too much or know things like alternating set list. Also some of us are getting older and find it demanding to stand for long periods in the hot sun, plus all the trouble getting to and from the venues. When you go to multiple shows this all adds up very quickly. However, some people on the board (god bless them) don't have any of these issues. It was a hard tour for me, I'm glad it's over but I miss it at the same time. I'd go again if there's another tour but I think it would be only once. Then again I said that after The Bigger Bang. I can't even trust myself, ha-ha. Long live The Stones though I complain openly about the stale set lists.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:22

A huge success across the board, the only negatives :
- not enough Taylor
- not enough rare songs, each show should have had a SOL or a LARS

The bad news is that with such a successful tour there won't be a lot incentive for a perfectionist like Jagger to give it another shot, unlike in 2007 with the rather bleak ending, Stade de France 1/3 tarped, Keith's playing, etc...

I remember reading over and over again in 1984 a fascinating book about the 1981 tour that claimed that even though he didn't want to tour (Lennon death, relationship with Keith, etc...) Mikc couldn't stop on the 1978 tour. It seems that at the time it wasn't too well regarded for some reason...

Looked it up, it's "The Last Tour" by Kamin :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-07 20:23 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: HighwayBound ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:31

dcba
It's was much drier than in the US (stiff setlists, no guests) BUT the playing was stronger/better so I'll take this one over the 2013 tour. Last year some shows seriously lacked energy, in Europe none showed a tired band.

And I'm waiting for high-quality boots by CCat Rattlesnake and Godfather. thumbs up

Which US shows that you attended are you using as a basis for comparison?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:36

It was probably a huge success financially, which is all that seems to matter now. I'm sure if you'd never seen them, or can't say goodbye, this was a good set of shows for you. Unfortunately it does not motivate them to perform better, or have varied setlists. They can coast and they know it. God bless them, I guess they've earned it.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:37

In my opinion a complete succes! Ticket prices were affordable and fair. The band was in great spirits and so was the crowd. They played really well and were spontaneaous in performing the songs. Point is case : IORR at Pinkpop. Jagger was late at coming in, but the band made it perfect. Loved all concerts I attended.Great sound too. Weather was good. For me it was really great. I enjoyed every minute of it. I've been to Rome, Werchter and Pinkpop. Pinkpop was the best I've seen overall.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:39

The US Boston and Philly shows were phenomenal!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:42

I loved it. I only saw the Waldbuhne, but it simply was great. They sounded great, they played well, but above all: it was the first time in my life that I simply enjoyed seeing the Stones. I didn't care about the mistakes, the setlists or whatever. I thought it simply was a miracle that after being a fan for 32 years I was still seeing them play live. And I enjoyed simply that.

Mathijs

Posted by: HighwayBound ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:43

ronkeith72
The US Boston and Philly shows were phenomenal!!!

Agree 100%. I saw three of the four shows and the playing was better than my European experience. The interaction between Mick and Keith was better in Europe.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:51

I think in hindsight the setlist was good too. Always a surprise or two in the set. And the rest played really well most of the times. Most important thing to me is that they like to play it and enjoy it as we do. By the way JJF was really great as an opener this tour. Goosebumbs. Mick Taylor in one song was good too. In Werchter he played the best Rambler of the 3 shows I attended. Got to see Triggerfinger there too, who were really good.
In fact they didn't need Taylor this tour as the level of playing was really good. But I enjoyed every minute of it, as I've never seen him perform with the stones.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 7, 2014 20:58

Big Success!!

The London/ US- Tour was the part to show the world they still can do it. But the European tour was so important for their reputation. Playing at big festivals in front of thousands of young people, getting knew fans, getting fantastic repoorts even in the critical media. Not just playing in front of high prized seated fans but playing classic rock audience. To me all this gave me a great feeling not being a fan of an oldies act but of an unbeatabel classic act.
Again: very succesful. How succesful will show the future, but when young people listen to the Stones and it`s cool, then this is more I ever exspected.thumbs upthumbs up(tu

Tom

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home