Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Vienna 16 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:25

fahthree
Dean has an opinion and it's time for people on this board to stop shouting down those who have opinions differing from their own, labeling them wrong. Some people like Lisa's Gimme Shelter this tour -- good for them. I think it sucks in comparison to what she once did. All opinions.

I hope everyone enjoyed the show and now on to Dusseldorf.
nobody shouted him down. it just seemed necessary to point out that if somebody needs to catch his train and for that reason finds MR to be too long, he shouldn't let that influence his review. it's his private business if he doesn't enjoy a show because of that. one thing it isn't: objective.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:28

Nikkei
fahthree
Dean has an opinion and it's time for people on this board to stop shouting down those who have opinions differing from their own, labeling them wrong. Some people like Lisa's Gimme Shelter this tour -- good for them. I think it sucks in comparison to what she once did. All opinions.

nobody shouted him down. it just seemed necessary to point out that if somebody needs to catch his train and for that reason finds MR to be too long, he shouldn't let that influence his review. it's his private business if he doesn't enjoy a show because of that. one thing it isn't: objective.

+1

Posted by: beno ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:32

I was at the concert with my wife (her 1st concert) who is in her 7th month of pregnancy. So we were obliged to have a seating place in Sector E. Entered only after 8 o'clock, and the Stones were on stage in an hour! Good view, but soundwise it was not perfect - sometimes Mick's voice was harder to hear, or it came in waves. The crowd was crazy even before the band hit the stage. At SMU, and YGMR everyone was standing and clapping in our sector!

The first 7-8 songs went really fast, in about 30-40 minutes. Unfortunatelly, this part was not too exciting, they did what must be done. Personally I could live without DG, which somehow sounded another version of YGMR. IORR, TD - not really flying. The first great number IMO was OOC! HTW was also very good, with very active audiance. The crowed enjoyed it a lot! Keith set is all right for YGTS, but Can't Be Seen was missing Keith's guitar at times when he sings. I would rather choose a different 2nd song intead. Outstanding was MR with Taylor! Rambler is a song which is more powerful than the band who plays it? There is something supernatural about it I am sure. Cannot be described, and so much interaction with the crowd!

My biggest (+) surprise was the fantastic Miss You ! Darryl's solo made this number, which normally I tend to dislike, a huge magic! Thanks for it!

I loved the 'special' ending of Sympathy, and also that of YCAGWYW!

Energy just unbelievable in JJF, and Satisfaction!

The sound improved somewhat in the 2nd part of the show, it seemed.

PS: my son will be a fan before getting born!!!

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:43

Indeed, security was hilarious, total amateurs. We were standing at GA entrance next to railings and most of the guys were told what to do 5 mins before gates opened. One third got randomly distributed scanners which they couldn't operate (had to help the lady to scan my ticket as I came 3rd in the row and first two were scanned by the security boss smiling smiley), the search parties were completely confused. One girl just looked at me and said 'Fine, you can go' smiling smiley Would be able to sneak inside anything...

The idea behind audience set-up in Hyde Park way was nice but quite strange. We managed to get a spot at 1st row in front of the Bstage, next to 'Early Entry guys' who spent double money for that, strange. The empty space on sides looks weird but crowd close to stage got pretty packed so they perhaps let in just certain number of people because of security reasons? Saw a couple fainted girls during the show, perhaps due to crowd pressure?

Audience was great, much younger crowd than Berlin, pretty crazy at some moments.

Would love to follow the Stones as they seem to get better every show, but Vienna was my last this summer. Enjoy the rest of tour guys, I am looking forward to reading your reports!

Beast
Never in my life seen such appalling and totally shambolic security. At the eleventh hour, all those in the joint diamond and gold circle queue were told that the three left-hand aisles would be for gold circle only and the fourth right-hand aisle for diamond only. So it meant that many were wrongly positioned and there was a mad scrum for the diamond aisle in which I nearly got crushed and Paulywaul was involuntarily lifted off his feet. Then to add insult to injury, the diamond wristbands were at the first far left-hand aisle - the total opposite to what we'd been told - so it became a case of grabbing a wristband from someone standing there with them doing nothing. It was chaotic and dangerous initially.

But we got to the rail and had a great time, surrounded by a much more enthusiastic audience than in Paris. I don't much care what others might say but for me personally Keith stole the show. Can anyone tell me what the blingy motif is on the back of the black jacket he wore in Paris and Vienna? Mick's first jacket and shirt were absolutely beautiful, as was a green silky number with black shell-like stripey markings on it that he wire towards the end.

Axel Zwingenberger was in the diamond circle. Also near start time they let some gold circle people into diamond area.

Gotta run to check out of hotel just now, so can't write more about the show just now, except to say that it may be time for Dean Goodman to go home.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-17 15:48 by ferda.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:48

Lorenz
Ok, so for those who speak German or who know how to use Google Translate, here are some press reports. Overall positive, but none of them fail to mention Keith's @#$%&-ups.

Personally, I think it very very much depends on where you are. I was seated between a rather, well, silent Norwegian crowd in Oslo and it felt like watching something on TV. In Vienna I was 3m from the stage among a young and enthusiastic crowd and we all had a blast. By the way, the fact that the audience was so good is also due to all our Hungarian, Slovenian, Czech, Polish, Croating (and many more) neighbours who joined the gig.

Der Standard (written by the one critic who is a Stones fan, but likes to take them apart in his trademark weird style)
[derstandard.at]
[derstandard.at]

Salzburger Nachrichten
[www.salzburg.com]

Kurier
[kurier.at]

Also not so enthusiastic review in Wiener Zeitung:

[www.wienerzeitung.at]

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:54

beno

The first 7-8 songs went really fast, in about 30-40 minutes. Unfortunatelly, this part was not too exciting, they did what must be done. Personally I could live without DG, which somehow sounded another version of YGMR. IORR, TD - not really flying. The first great number IMO was OOC! HTW was also very good, with very active audiance. The crowed enjoyed it a lot! Keith set is all right for YGTS, but Can't Be Seen was missing Keith's guitar at times when he sings. I would rather choose a different 2nd song intead. Outstanding was MR with Taylor! Rambler is a song which is more powerful than the band who plays it? There is something supernatural about it I am sure. Cannot be described, and so much interaction with the crowd!

My biggest (+) surprise was the fantastic Miss You ! Darryl's solo made this number, which normally I tend to dislike, a huge magic! Thanks for it!

I loved the 'special' ending of Sympathy, and also that of YCAGWYW!

Energy just unbelievable in JJF, and Satisfaction!

The sound improved somewhat in the 2nd part of the show, it seemed.

quote]
I agree everything in your post. I forgot to highlight Miss You in my post. They had a fantastic groove going on and Darryl seem to be in flames during his solo.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:54

beno

PS: my son will be a fan before getting born!!!

My wife was also pregnant (7th month) with my daughter when we attanded a Stones show in 1995.
Yesterday I was partying in Vienna 1 m near the catwalk with my daughter and 3 sons. All of them (!) are diehard Stones fans listening to Stones music almost every day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-17 15:59 by 1962.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:56

Beast
Never in my life seen such appalling and totally shambolic security. At the eleventh hour, all those in the joint diamond and gold circle queue were told that the three left-hand aisles would be for gold circle only and the fourth right-hand aisle for diamond only. So it meant that many were wrongly positioned and there was a mad scrum for the diamond aisle in which I nearly got crushed and Paulywaul was involuntarily lifted off his feet. Then to add insult to injury, the diamond wristbands were at the first far left-hand aisle - the total opposite to what we'd been told - so it became a case of grabbing a wristband from someone standing there with them doing nothing. It was chaotic and dangerous initially.

Sorry to hear about you and Paulywaul's "Dangerous Liaison" with the unprofessional Vienna "security". Sounds like anyone that really wanted could have gotten to the Diamond area...which would have been nice for those with cheaper tickets, but not what you and the others paid for! From what I have read the show was great...so at least your initial discomfort was paid back handsomely!

Hope to see you in Düsseldorf!

fahthree
Some people like Lisa's Gimme Shelter this tour -- good for them. I think it sucks in comparison to what she once did.

I agree. Lisa has lost a lot of her musical chops (what she used to do with Gimme Shelter was a miracle) and now to elicit the same emotional impact relies more on screaming and emotional pyrotechnics.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 17, 2014 16:00

Loved your story 1962.

>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-17 16:01 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 17, 2014 16:08

About Lisa, I paid close attention to her performance in Paris after reading DG's "non-plussed" comments about her on the Euro tour and I thought it was quite decent, the fact that she stopped halfway on the catwalk just next to us didn't hurt of course ;-) It was less of a "wow" factor than at HP where it was her first outing on the catwalk (no catwalk before that show) but it was still quite powerful I found.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: June 17, 2014 16:59

I enjoyed the show. I came without expectations and I found great band played good show (for me better than my last concert, Brno 2007). Only complaint - the sound. First hit to the string was loud and rest - down in the mix. Like old cheap cassette tape recorders with automatic level control - can somebody remember it? But in general - I´m very happy when I was in Vienna.

Date: June 17, 2014 17:07

I am a little bit surprised that they played "Angie" again. They already played it there 3 times in the 1990 to present modern era (if you count Zeltweg). Now,make that FOUR times !!

I was expecting a ballad from side 2 of 'Tattoo You' . ..... "Worried About You" or "Waiting On a Friend" .

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 17, 2014 17:26

jenyk
I read Dean Goodman´s review and I feel like I was on different show...

He wrote the following (quote):
And I'm sure the 99% were too ecstatic to notice or care.

I went to the same show... Sure Keith and Mick was not as in sync last night as they should have been, and sure the starting and ending of some songs were different because of this. But most in the Vienna crowd did not notice and/or care...

When you go to many shows you do see all these differences, and of course they matter to some. I mean I meet friends at every show who tell me about mistakes they did at every show, there are some, in lyrics, in guitar playing, in sound, guitars and so on, but for me most of the shows are 8 or 9 out of 10. They are not perfect, by all means.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 17, 2014 17:27

Charlie and Ronnie signed for me at the hotel! The Stones left at 3pm thru the back door. Keith did not sign any. Mick did a few.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: June 17, 2014 17:51

here you can see what went wrong at the end of sympathy. It was not the fault of the stones, the backing sound went away because someone thought they would finish at this point. But it was well saved by Keith's guitar licks and Chuck.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 17, 2014 18:09

Georgia May came out first and was whisked off in her own limo before anyone else. Lisa, Bernard, MT and Tim Ries were very willing to sign things as they left the hotel. Bobby just jumped right on the bus and so did Chuck but no one really acknowledged him much. Charlie was a true gentleman and made a point of going to both sides of the exit to sign quite a few things. Mick signed a very few on my side. He was doing his usual of videoing the fan scene as he exited the hotel. I told Charlie he was always the best-dressed - as he indeed was right down to his socks - and he replied "Not much competition with this lot!" LOL...

Daryl also gave thanks when I told him he was the coolest bass man. His solos on Miss You really do take it to another level. And yes, last night's MR was brill. You could see the mess-up coming with YCAGWYW. And it was not Vienna Boys Choir after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-17 18:19 by Beast.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 17, 2014 18:19

Here's a better MR vid than the one posted earlier, it's mostly focused on the video screen so you get that pro-shot look:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-17 18:33 by Milan.

Posted by: TurkuStonesFan ()
Date: June 17, 2014 19:19

Stonesfan2146
here you can see what went wrong at the end of sympathy. It was not the fault of the stones, the backing sound went away because someone thought they would finish at this point. But it was well saved by Keith's guitar licks and Chuck.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for posting this! I have been looking for this all morning. Shows what true pros they all are to keep it going, improvise and play. What a great moment of the singers and musicians working out a new ending on the fly.

And that is why we love live music.

Date: June 17, 2014 19:23

wesley
I haven't been active in this message board lately.
I just want to share an opinion of so called "casual attendees" or "tourists": This was the first time for me to watch the show in a seated place and take a look at those "non-hardcore fans". We should not underestimate their knowledge and enthusiasm towards Stones and their song catalogue! My guess is that 90% of the people sitting next to my stand knew all the songs including Doom & Gloom. And they had such wonderful evening!

Anyone that paid for a ticket, stood in line (for god only knows) then sang along and screamed their guts out for two solid hours is "hardcore" enough for me!

Date: June 17, 2014 19:27

fahthree
jenyk
I read Dean Goddman´s review and I feel like I was on different show...

I've always found his reviews to be objective, if sometimes annoying. He doesn't get tied up in the euphoria of seeing them like we all seem to. Everyone wants to believe that they just saw "the best show ever" but, more often than not, that's not the case. For example, I flew from the US to Berlin for the show. It wasn't the best show ever. It was good, but the last dates I saw on 50 & Counting were better.

Dean Goddman?

Date: June 17, 2014 19:38

Hi Fans!

Have anyone?

Can't Be Seen

Brown Sugar

If yes, please send me the youtube link, Thanks

Date: June 17, 2014 19:40

Sounds like the Stones did exactly what they always do: Rolled in, conquered, then rolled out! On to Dusseldorf!

Stones Take No Prisoners!

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: June 17, 2014 19:41

Dean Goodman...sorry, my mistake.

Date: June 17, 2014 19:59

jenyk
Dean Goodman...sorry, my mistake.

Well then, who is Dean Goodman?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 17, 2014 20:04

A great MR until the next one which will be greater. Taylor has settled into his old style pentatonic blues phrasing here and seems to be reaching for blue notes far less. His tone and feel very much 60's Mayall and and early part of his Stones run. Simply this is the Taylor most people will relate to and his playing is becoming more polished and stadium ready, so in fact there may a method to his cruel punishment. Plus it's nice to see him stand back on his heals like the old days. He's ready for a sequin tongue wife beater shirt. Keith is showing signs of real lateral movement up and down the neck, it's encouraging watching his technique loosen up in the last 2 weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-17 20:04 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 17, 2014 20:11

just got back home and the show was great!!!!!!!!! loved the crowd wave before the start which went on for a bit......my 8th show since 1989!!!! would love to go again we shall see other then that a lot of FUN...love these guys and the girl.M

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 17, 2014 20:12

DoomandGloom
A great MR until the next one which will be greater. Taylor has settled into his old style pentatonic blues phrasing here and seems to be reaching for blue notes far less. His tone and feel very much 60's Mayall and and early part of his Stones run. Simply this is the Taylor most people will relate to and his playing is becoming more polished and stadium ready, so in fact there may a method to his cruel punishment. Plus it's nice to see him stand back on his heals like the old days. He's ready for a sequin tongue wife beater shirt. Keith is showing signs of real lateral movement up and down the neck, it's encouraging watching his technique loosen up in the last 2 weeks.

He's always had a fine command of that stuff, and whatever the differences between sounding good in a club and being able to carry it off in a stadium, he definitely didn't need two years of playing Midnight Rambler every other night in order to get his blues chops back. But it does appear that they're extending the harp/guitar duel before the 12/8 time breakdown somewhat on these shows, even letting Taylor push Jagger a bit. Rambler does seem a bit more spontaneous now than it did hitherto - parts of it, anyway.

Date: June 17, 2014 20:17

Beast
Georgia May came out first and was whisked off in her own limo before anyone else. Lisa, Bernard, MT and Tim Ries were very willing to sign things as they left the hotel. Bobby just jumped right on the bus and so did Chuck but no one really acknowledged him much. Charlie was a true gentleman and made a point of going to both sides of the exit to sign quite a few things. Mick signed a very few on my side. He was doing his usual of videoing the fan scene as he exited the hotel. I told Charlie he was always the best-dressed - as he indeed was right down to his socks - and he replied "Not much competition with this lot!" LOL...

Daryl also gave thanks when I told him he was the coolest bass man. His solos on Miss You really do take it to another level. And yes, last night's MR was brill. You could see the mess-up coming with YCAGWYW. And it was not Vienna Boys Choir after all.

Haha! Nice one, Beast.......love the Charlie quote which is so typical of him. I have heard him come back with a similar response when asking him a question. You gotta love the man.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: June 17, 2014 21:16

Keith's definitely improving as the tour's progressing. Cool to see him bust out that up-and-down lick occasionally.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 17, 2014 22:15

Milan
Here's a better MR vid than the one posted earlier, it's mostly focused on the video screen so you get that pro-shot look:

Great vibe - amazing band being able to pull this off. Regardless of their age.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home