Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Gimme shelter live 1969 - 1973
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 17, 2014 02:14

Best intro: studio version.
Best female vocals: studio version (M.Clayton).
Best solo: Mick Taylor, Empire Pool Wembley, 1973.
Best overall performance: Paradisio 1995.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 17, 2014 03:28

<...a transition from the 'Keith-version' to the 'Taylor-version' so to speak, which is very well audible in the Gimme Shelter from the Malmö show, 1970 August 30, on which Taylor is soloing for the first time on this song.>

Interesting! Good bit of information. It is a shame there are not better recordings from '70-'71. I just listened to the Malmo show and the song surges as the band plays behind Taylor's solo. The band did not seem to know what to with this song in those days. Sometimes they played it, sometimes not. By '72 it was slotted early in the up tempo part of the show and was a highlight.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: June 17, 2014 04:19

stanlove
Poetry
Of course, the lead on the studio take was Keith, but did Keith ever play the solo live in the Taylor years?
I think the studio version has to be one of his best solos.
Love the atmosphere of it.

I don't think they ever did a decent live version until 1989..I can't believe anyone can listen to earlier ones and think it actually sounds good. Its awful

L.A. Friday version is tremendous.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: June 17, 2014 06:33

'73 are the definitive live versions and my favorite. It's pretty much 'hard rock' with Keiths heavy bar cords and MT's soaring lead. A genre usually associated with Aerosmith or Guns N Roses but with the Stones dabbling a bit there in '73 and '74: 100 Years Ago, IORR, Dance Little Sister and You Can't Rock Me.

Other than '73, the 1990 Tokyo Dome GS version is pretty good. Keith and Ronnie playing some beautiful soulful blues licks. Guitar tone similar to the original studio version.

Date: June 17, 2014 08:29

MidnightPeanut
stanlove
Poetry
Of course, the lead on the studio take was Keith, but did Keith ever play the solo live in the Taylor years?

I don't think they ever did a decent live version until 1989..I can't believe anyone can listen to earlier ones and think it actually sounds good. Its awful

My favourite live version.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 17, 2014 11:16

The Worst.
Best intro: studio version.
Best female vocals: studio version (M.Clayton).
Best solo: Mick Taylor, Empire Pool Wembley, 1973.
Best overall performance: Paradisio 1995.

I can live with that so I rest my case!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 17, 2014 16:06

My choice:

Gimme Shelter-Studio
Gimme shelter-Gimme shelter/ Altamont 69
Gimme shelter-Vienna 2014

Posted by: Des ()
Date: June 17, 2014 23:19

powerage78
Nothing better than the 1972 versions IMO.

Hey I resemble that remark, grummpy old man that I am (lol), but I agree like good scotch or chilli, you have to let some songs simmer till the flavours meld.

I need a few things to come together to pinpoint my favorites and I think this one is close. 1) the tempo must be slow enough to capture the guitar blues bits and the essence of that storm, when Keith plays high it has to sound like he is crying, 2) Charlie can not fudge that drum kick, it drives the storm and 3) let Lisa bring the roof down.

So I think this version is very close.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 18, 2014 00:15

72 is best by FAR

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 18, 2014 00:21

DandelionPowderman
MidnightPeanut
stanlove
Poetry

My favourite live version.

Yes! Same here thumbs up

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 18, 2014 00:36

1972 version is the best.

Date: June 18, 2014 09:27

pepganzo

Which one, Charlotte? Washington?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 18, 2014 12:38

DandelionPowderman
pepganzo

Which one, Charlotte? Washington?

I love the aforementioned as well as Philly (all of them), Norfolk, Mobile, Boston ... pretty much all '72 shows. Performance was quite consistent ... the song pretty much followed the overall level of energy, judging by the bootlegs.

I haven't heard Vancouver '72 in a while ... that one (and the rest of the west coast shows) is pretty cool because the performances don't have as much routine and are less predictable.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 18, 2014 13:36

powerage78
To echo comments on this website, "Gimme Shelter" now has about as much menace as a Celine Dion song. Lisa draping herself all over Ronnie and Keith totally goes against the spirit of the song, reducing it to some low-end cabaret number.

Review by Dean Goodman
Paris, June 2014

[www.iorr.org]

thumbs up

+1

(quite obvious, as I made the comment in the first place...!!!!)

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 18, 2014 14:02

Wild Slivovitz
powerage78
To echo comments on this website, "Gimme Shelter" now has about as much menace as a Celine Dion song. Lisa draping herself all over Ronnie and Keith totally goes against the spirit of the song, reducing it to some low-end cabaret number.

Review by Dean Goodman
Paris, June 2014

[www.iorr.org]

thumbs up

+1

(quite obvious, as I made the comment in the first place...!!!!)

grinning smiley

I think I referred to it as "Stones - the musical"...

Charlie enters with his drumming waaaayyyy too early and buries the typical guitar intro (that out to be a "sound in the desert"). His highhat sound occasionally buries other bits.

The trademark double guitar attack is inconsistent: sometimes Ronnie'e guitar climbs on top of the mix reminding us how it SHOULD have sounded.

Lisa's performance... enough said about that. Very good as a performance but completely against the spirit of the song - GS, they was I see it, can be done in 3 ways:

1. preserving the original blend, sound and spirit (1969 was a reflection)
2. re inventing the song (1972-5)
3. Giving it the reality show "new talents" sound. That type of very clean and good performance that lacks any "soul".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-18 14:03 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: June 18, 2014 14:19

I wish they'd drop it from the set as Keith never plays the intro correctly due to showboating and his solos are garbage.
Mainly because the Lisa thing is such a snore though. She is irritating to watch and listen to singing it and does no justice to Merry Clayton.

Her voice suits absolutely nothing of the Stones material. Perfect pitch and diction with a voice any woman that could hold pitch coming out of a cpl years vocal coaching would sound like.

72/73 were great if for nothing else other than Mick's coked up vocals.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 18, 2014 17:35

Question for the bookworms - did Merry Clayton ever sing GS live with the band?

Date: June 18, 2014 17:37

No

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 18, 2014 17:56

Review by Dean Goodman
To echo comments on this website, "Gimme Shelter" now has about as much menace as a Celine Dion song. Lisa draping herself all over Ronnie and Keith totally goes against the spirit of the song, reducing it to some low-end cabaret number. But Keith wrote the song, and he seems happy to be pawed by Lisa, so I guess the tacky sideshow will remain. Chuck's honky-tonk piano in "Sympathy" was also inappropriate. I can go either way on his gospel redo of "You Can't Always Get What You Want." But it's hard to escape the feeling that the hired help have staged a revolution of sorts.

Date: June 18, 2014 17:59

Dean Goodman for president

Date: June 18, 2014 18:01

Isnt there any singer anywhere who can pull off something close to what Clayton did? Doesnt have to be the exact same thing but something in the same spirit.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 18, 2014 18:25

I don't think Clayton herself could pull it off again.

At the time she sung it she had a cold and her voice was not
up to par....So I'm sure she may have a little different tone to her singing
if she was at 100%.

Some things just fit...And her voice at the time fit that track.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: June 18, 2014 18:31

hot stuff
Some things just fit...And her voice at the time fit that track.

.. and Merry Clayton paid a large price for it personally for a while. See the full story [www.openculture.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2014 18:41

The Worst.

Best overall performance: Paradiso 1995.

I humbly disagree. The best ever live version comes from 72-73 (pick your fav).

The best Vegas-era rework of a classic is Paradiso 1995.
It was very good, totally new when compared to 72-73 75 or 89-90 but it was just a great rework (imo).

Date: June 18, 2014 19:50

dcba
The Worst.

Best overall performance: Paradiso 1995.

I humbly disagree. The best ever live version comes from 72-73 (pick your fav).

The best Vegas-era rework of a classic is Paradiso 1995.
It was very good, totally new when compared to 72-73 75 or 89-90 but it was just a great rework (imo).

He said overall. You'll never find a very good Jagger GS performance from those years (72/73/75).

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: June 18, 2014 20:22

The version from Malmo 1970 is unique. The arrangement is completely different from the other live versions and it also features a sax solo. Interesting version and very listenable. Other versions I like are Altamont 1969, Philadelphia 1972, Brussells 1973 and the Paradiso 1994.
In general, this song does not translate well to the stage, since so much of our perceptions of it are from the studio version, which is layers of Keith's guitars, which can never be duplicated on stage.
I feel the Stones have a tendency to perform this song too fast during most of their live performances.

Date: June 18, 2014 20:53

The Winos managed to capture a lot of the intro and the essence of its feel, imo. Keith played the riff differently as well, just as he did in 89.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2014 22:44

DandelionPowderman

You'll never find a very good Jagger GS performance from those years (72/73/75).

I don't really care about Jagger. grinning smiley I care about the band as a tight unit. Regarding tightness it's hard to argue with the 72-73 period.

Date: June 18, 2014 23:44

dcba
DandelionPowderman

You'll never find a very good Jagger GS performance from those years (72/73/75).

I don't really care about Jagger. grinning smiley I care about the band as a tight unit. Regarding tightness it's hard to argue with the 72-73 period.

Tightness wouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind for me, when listening to Perth 73 or other 72 versions. More like wildness (Jagger), beauty and precision (Taylor), imo.

Whether beautiful and nice solos are what this song really needs may be up for discussion. Another approach could be to search for the danger in it, like the Winos did.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: June 19, 2014 09:06

And something that I've meant to ask here but not gotten to: why is Bernard incapable of blowing the menacing harp on GS or scratching a washboard? Neither is difficult and he could get to one of them while Lisa is trying is busily being a pain in the ass and acting like a fool singing "rape, murder, it's just a shot away" (while smiling - I mean one can't help bit smile when thinking of either) and pointlessly annoying the guitarists all the while wearing footwear that looks as tho it struggles to hold the weight expected of them. She walks as if she's just had an accident in her knickers.

The more I think of it this song has become a travesty performed by the group that wrote and put it to record.

Ditch it for SFM. They're always on fire with that one and we don't have to endure Lisa.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home