Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

if you had the choice to buy one Greatest Hits Album of the stones
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 1, 2005 23:31

my son--16 years old- asked me the day before. I want to buy one greatest Hits Album of the Rolling Stones--Which should i Buy?

My answer was Hot Rocks 1964-1971

Do you agree?

Or is it Big Hits ( high Tide and green grass)

Through the past,darkly

Made in the Shade

Rewind

Jump back

Fourty Licks

or one of the others compilations?

Re: if you had the choice to buy one Greatest Hits Album of the stones
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: June 1, 2005 23:32

I'd buy Forty Licks

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 1, 2005 23:43

I don't like 40 Licks because they chop the songs down. Look at Emotional Rescue or ASMB, they are shorted way too much and that makes the song unlistenable if you know what the normal version sounds like.

I guess I would say Hot Rocks, especially since it includes the live Midnight Rambler

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: June 2, 2005 00:00

I have a lot of affection for Hot Rocks, 1964-71. That was my first Stones album, and it certainly worked for me. It shows the evolution of the band better than any of the other collections. After that, it would make sense to pick up More Hot Rocks, and then Made in the Shade or Jump Back. By that point, you may want to go back and pick up each and every album, at least the studio albums.

The Singles Collection is also a good package, but the inclusion of B-sides might be confusing to someone who wants only the hits.

Missing from your list was Sucking in the Seventies.

Date: June 2, 2005 00:09

Well, I said ONE Album. Dont think that "Sucking" is the No.1 to show my kids The Stones "greatest Hits"

Posted by: mark ()
Date: June 2, 2005 00:53

Such as it is Fourty Licks. It's not for a die hard fan so the subtleties would be lost anyway. I have had some good reviews form folks who bought this as their first Stones album.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 2, 2005 01:36

I'd pick More Hot Rocks, for all the rare trax & fazed cookies...For awhile the official greatest hits sets came at regular intervals & made sense: Hide Tide, Thru the Past Darkly (both have great covers, & non lp singles), Made in the Shade - then Sucking made no sense - it didnt pick up neatly where MITS left off (i.e. the Ron era), left off the biggest hits of '76 - 80, & since then it seems every comp has Brown Sugar on it...

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: June 2, 2005 01:48

of course, MORE HOT ROCKS and JUMP BACK.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 2, 2005 01:49

Can't beat Hot Rocks....the Stones at their peak!

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: June 2, 2005 02:29

Through the Past Darkly is the one. Simple, elegant, all the others pale next to it.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: June 2, 2005 02:33

You're all crazy...the answer is easily London Years.

If not that then Big Hits

If not that...then Flowers

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2005 02:35

HOT ROCKS - simply the best compilation by the Stones...or any band for that matter. Prior to seeing the Stones my first time in '81, this was stuck on my turntable along with More Hot Rocks (and of course Tattoo You) for months. To prepare for any new Stones tour since then, I turn to these for the ultimate lesson in the Stones.

Honorable mention: Made In The Shade - first Stones album I ever bought, and still love it for sentimental reasons, but nothing can compare to Hot Rocks.

Date: June 2, 2005 12:26

"High Tide and Green Grass"; "Through The Past, Darkly" is deffo the runner up.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 2, 2005 12:46

Get him "Slow Rollers" LOL

Posted by: salar ()
Date: June 2, 2005 12:47

Hi,
I would choose 40Licks for your son...
it covers the whole 40 years of the Stones career...
Of course Hot Rocks 1 and 2 or TTPD or JB and so on is cool stuff...
but this ends up in 1971....or just covers parts of the Stones history..
so the Stones haven`t done anything since 71 or what ?
I know some of you do think so....but this is not true.
if your son gets warm with 40licks......than you could go a step further by getting him the other stuff from the 60`s and 70`s...
but as a first contact nothing can beat the 40 licks I guess.

See you on the tour
salar

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 2, 2005 14:20

Havo ... dont be a piker just buy ya boy all the studio albums and let him rock!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 2, 2005 14:42

Buy him "40 Licks." it encompasses their entire career and costs $10 less than "Hot Rocks."

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 2, 2005 15:39

I certainly understand why groups put new songs on greatest hits albums, but if you think about it........it is absurd. How assuming is that? Ten years from now people will be asking how Keys to your Love, Don't Stop, etc. fit in with all of the classic songs on Forty Licks. Put new material on new albums, but stop the annoying process of including new (unworthy) material on compilations. That's what makes Hot Rocks the clear winner. No filler.......simply the greatest rock songs of all time.

Date: June 2, 2005 16:18

Rolled Gold 1 - without a doubt!

Date: June 2, 2005 17:55

Hey---Rockman. I have 3 sons and two daughters.14-27 years old.one likes The STONES-Ballads, the other the Rockers and the Oldest like their Country stuff and especially "Primitive Cool"

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 2, 2005 18:23

I'd have chosen the Rolled Gold double album - but you can't get it any more. The singles collection (the triple album) is pretty good too, but Hot Rocks seems to cover the 60s stuff well.

As for the later stuff, you could get Jumpback. Made in the Shade would be good too but perhaps doesn't cover enough material, and Sucking in the 70s isn't really a greatest hits. Rewind is deleted.

However, as 40 Licks seems to cover their entire career rather well, just get him that one and point him in the direction of the 5 great albums (BB, LIB, GYYYO, SF, EOMS). If he gets a taste for it, he'll want to track it down himself anyway and probably won't listen to you!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 2, 2005 18:38

hi,
i get 2....40 licks...has almost everything on it...and then i get,
get your ya ya's out! without the stones live you don't really get to know them!
my 1st record as a fan was, got live if you want it..... and i loved the stones after that!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 2, 2005 18:49

Forty Licks no question. It is the best of all the compilations out there.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: revolver ()
Date: June 2, 2005 19:17

All you guys are missing the point. It's for a 16 year old kid! He doesn't know or doesn't give a damn thing bout if it is edited versions or mono or stereo or whatever it is.

Some would pick "More Hot Rocks", eerr, what? It's b-hits and rarities, not a true introduction to the Stones music. Hot Rocks is cool, but it ends at 1971.

Forty Licks is the best OVERALL introduction to the music of the Stones. Yes I know it has 4 mediocre songs, but what the hell, the 36 of the songs are out of this world!

Buy "Forty Licks"...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 2, 2005 21:11

When the Stones put several new songs on Licks, I don't think they had in mind, "this stuff isnt very good - lets put it on there with 2 cds of classics -" My guess is they wanted new material on there (Virgin only wanted 1 or 2 songs at most), & thought these were the most representative new trax from the 2002 Paris sessions. They are a pretty minor addition to their body of work, but hardly embarrasing, and the problem with Hot Rocks One is it doesnt really capture the era it covers very well, skimping over the '63-64 period completely, tending towards the anthems and warhorses (& eschewing many, many great hit singles) - for a newbie, if you want one comp, Licks is the way to go - tho I agree w/ Rockman - getting everything is better, or starting w/ a couple classics that are also accessable (Beggars, SF, Tattoo) rather than the dark & murky Exile, which should come (and surprise!) after one has digested/learned to love some of the other stuff

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2005 21:46

40 Licks wwould have been great had they left off the new ones. The new ones are all true stinkers, and the album will always be tainted by their inclusion. If this is the album to introduce new fans to the Stones, then avoid playing these, they will only dissillusion the new fan. Plus, the fact that they edited some of the "classics" to make way for these new ones has always turned my stomach. Editing Miss You is sacriligeous in my book, they shouldn't have done it. And for what? So we can hear Stealing My Heart? Disgusting!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 2, 2005 21:57

" Forty Licks " should be the best buy. Or " FlashPoint "

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: June 2, 2005 22:12

Hairball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Plus, the
> fact that they edited some of the "classics" to
> make way for these new ones has always turned my
> stomach. Editing Miss You is sacriligeous in my
> book, they shouldn't have done it. And for what?
> So we can hear Stealing My Heart? Disgusting!

Amen to that! Actually I think they just used the 7" mix of Miss You as they did on Jump Back. Either way I find it irritating not to have the regular LP version of any song on a greatest hits CD. The sad part is, I believe if you look at the running time of 40 Licks disc 2, there is enough room on that disc that they could have included the LP version.

The best Stones compilation for me is the one I make myself on CDR. That way I can arrange the tracks however I like to suit my mood. Thank God for CD burners. Before that, I would still have to go with Hot Rocks for sentimental reasons. Ditto Rewind. Hot Rocks would have been perfect had As Tears Go By been left off in favor of The Last Time or even It's All Over Now.

Date: June 2, 2005 23:26

I see, i have to buy:

Big Hits ( High tide)

Through the past, darkly

Flowers

Made in the Shade

Rolled Gold

Rewind

London Years

Fourty licks

Hot Rocks

Hot Rocks (cookies)

Ya Yas

( i miss the compilation "Time waits for no-one) LOL

ok---and now i play The "Tchibo"--4 CD--set

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home